PDA

View Full Version : Needing donations for sick kitty....can you help...please...

carole
02-02-2006, 03:30 PM
I know this is a bit cheeky of me to ask you guys to help in this situation, as there are many kitties in your own country needing help, but this just pulled at my heart strings so much , I hope no-one minds me posting this story and asking if anyone can help by donating even just a little, keep in mind the American dollar is worth more here,this story was in our local paper and i have been in contact with Alice by email since, and of course are making a donation myself.
I am not sure what would be the best way to donate, it would have to be a bank cheque i think as Lisa did that with me and it was fine, if anyone has ideas please post and tell me as this is not something i am too familiar with.

This is Mykie's story:

Mykie is 12 years old - feline - boss of Animal Rescue Thames -meets ,greets and checks out with purrs and rubs all prospective new owners of our rescue furrballs. On Monday 23rd January we were to learn of devastating news- what began as rountine check for hyperthyroidism blood tests - led to finding not only a heart murmur but on the vets doing an xtra of Mykies chest they found a massive tumour right against his heart This sodding tumour is almost twice nearly three times as big as his heart. This news shattered and devastated our furry and human world - we had to decide what we were to do- put him to sleep or go for chemo- i was mindless and said to our vet who i would trust with my own life- what should we do- the option of chemo became reality - having watched my own father die in 1989 of cancer i saw my fathers world of cancer - not knowing that for cats it would be so so different- for pets there are no organisations to help with support and costs we go it alone - facing $1500 vet bill- i have auctioned and auctioning anything i can to raise his money(this is and never has been an issue- what price is life?) What price is Mykies life- i dont care all i care is my boy is well again- and if by some rare chance he doesnt make it we know we have done the best we humanly can- The chemo last tuesday went well- with having vet nursing experience and the rescue unit knowledge Mykie was privelgeged to be home early- i to take on the nursing of my baby boy- Mykie was fine until 4.45 and took a horrendous turn -he was rushed back to the vet -his laboured breathing immensely concerning- ruling out the chemo the high thyroid count and heart murmur had re surfaced- the vet told us to take him home keep him cool and monitor him over night- a sleepless night for me but Mykie settled again- the heat knocks him for sixes -the vet assured me the best place is home - he is due for his next chemo next tuesday- this will now depend on his heart -dear God let him be all right- we just would be so lost and devastated without him-
WHAT I WANT TO SAY TO PEOPLE - is that cancer can be treated- yes there is a cost but what price is life and what price is that lifes love that they have given to you over the years- in that light $1500 is nothing for years of love and furry cuddles and memories- our boy is still with us for now -but please go within your hearts and listen to your vets advise with your pet if your pet is diagnosed with cancer- it can be successfully treated- and it is not like human cancer they dont loose their furr for one- i hope this will help someone -somewhere - sometime- for now we continue to monitor our boy Mykie

I want to add the owner Alice is a very giving person she was once rescued from a car wreck herself by the fire brigade and now raises funds for them every year, not to mention running the animal shelter, she lives about an hour and half from where i live, this is a genuine case and if you can give even a little it would be much appreciated.Thank you.

I must add Alice has no children and Mykie is her furchild ,so he is very precious to her as you all can well understand.

This is a pic of Mykie, isn't he beautiful.

Roxyluvsme13
02-02-2006, 06:15 PM
Aww he's beautiful...I cant send any other way than cash...Through like the mail, and I might be able to donate $10. (as thats like all the money I have)

carole
02-02-2006, 07:01 PM
That is really kind of you to offer all you have, I don't really trust the mail system, so hold on to your cash for now, but thank you for being so kind. :)

Roxyluvsme13
02-02-2006, 07:04 PM
:) I dont mind. Usually my money ends up getting spent on my pets :p. They have everything they need now, so I would love to help Mykie.

carole
02-03-2006, 02:05 AM
That is indeed very sweet of you, i am just concerned that if you send cash over here it won't make it, can you ask your parents if they know of anyway to send it without costing you an arm and leg, if you want to risk it well i guess you could, but then you would be out of pocket and Mykie no better off,that is if it goes missing or never reaches here,wish there was an easier way, if anyone has any helpful ideas that would be awesome.

Roxyluvsme13
02-03-2006, 10:05 AM
I honestly dont think their is any other way, unless maybe I can ask my grandpa to write a check for it and pay him the money then send it through mail.

Pawsitive Thinking
02-03-2006, 10:33 AM
That is really kind of you to offer all you have, I don't really trust the mail system, so hold on to your cash for now, but thank you for being so kind. :)

get a paypal account set up then we can all donate into it!

www.paypal.com

carole
02-03-2006, 08:04 PM
I have a paypal account already set up, so I could accept the donations, you can trust me 100 per cent, but i dont really know how paypal works really, how do i then get the money to Alice, does she need to set up an account as well, please help,not very up on these things, just hold off on anything for now , as you can only cash bank cheques in NZ, and they probably cost money to get in the first place, do i have to post my email address for the paypal account? help much appreciated , thank you.

Anyway my email address is [email protected] lets hope that can get the ball rowling as we say in NZ.

I think i understand that I can send the donations through her email address, but how does she get the cash in hand, or does she have to use paypal to pay the vet?

tatsxxx11
02-04-2006, 12:05 PM
Oh Carole...I would love to help. By bank cheque, do you mean a personal bank check or a money order? I was wondering too, what the exchange rate is and how much you might have to pay to have the money changed over into your currency? Let me know the best way! Oh, you are a dear, and caring soul and my heart goes out to Alice, precious little Mykie and to you:( What special little kitty he is.

Carole, with the PayPal acct...you need to set up the type that allows you to receive as well as send money...ugh, can't think of the name of that right now but it's clear on the PayPal site. The money is deposited into your bank acct. You get notified when funds have been sent to you. You would then withdraw the money to give to Alice, the vet...I think that's correct and that might work best...let us know!

{{{HUGS}}}
Sandra

carole
02-04-2006, 01:06 PM
Sandra i think i can do that on my account but i am not sure really, it is all a bit complicated for me, i am sure it is basic really, and once i know how to do it will be easy peasy.

You cannot send a personal cheque, i thought money orders were ok, but when Lisa went to do that they said no, she sent me a cashiers cheque from her bank, i donot know if it cost her extra, probably did, i had no problem putting it in my account, it takes around a month to clear is all, but that is ok, i can send the funds on to Alice anyhow, and you all know that will be done pronto, rest assured or you can send it to Alice, as i have her address, whatever everyone is comfortable with doing is fine by me,you could pm lisa Kuhio98 and ask her the details, she is in Alaska, so not sure if everything is the same or not. I know with the cashiers cheque you can track it as well, so that is good incase the postal system lets us down.

Sandra i checked on a money convertor keeping in mind these are not that accurate but today ten american dollars was worth around 14.50 NZ so that is pretty good really, remember every little bit helps towards that 1500 dollar bill and towards Mykie's recovery, hope this all helps and thank you so much for your kind offers of help. :)

On a more positive note my friend Daves dog Star was undergoing chemo for cancer and she is in remission and doing extremely well, this is indeed inspiring news to hear..and proves having chemo is NOT a lost cause. :)

carole
02-04-2006, 11:16 PM
*Bump*. :)

carole
02-06-2006, 06:27 PM
*Bump* :)

carole
02-14-2006, 02:18 PM
I decided to bump this up again, as I just heard from Alice regarding Mykie, he is doing ok so far having chemo to shrink the tumour, but of course anything could change suddenly, but fingers and paws crossed Mykie will get well enough to go into remission.

I also found out today from the bank that in fact one can send a personal cheque, now that is something i never knew, it takes around three weeks to clear here, but that is pretty good, so my apologies for that, so if you can spare anything , does not have to be much, it would be very much appreciated by me, Alice and of course Mykie, thank you. :)