PDA

View Full Version : Humane Society Calling me...

sasvermont
04-13-2002, 02:31 PM
I just got back from my "training" at the local shelter. I am a volunteer and assigned to socializing the cats currently in cages there.

So, it went smoothly and I didn't adopt any today. I have two already. I know. I know. I noticed that I was really comfortable playing with the cats while future owners were looking....and I sorta have the gift of gab, if you will, and I feel sure at least one cat was adopted because I talked it up so when playing with it. As I was leaving the two adults who had been looking at this one cat, were filling out paperwork....and they said they were taking "Junie", a beautiful long haired gray cat...8 months old....really tempted to take him home myself.

What I discovered today was that I could play an important role in helping others adopt and pick out a good pet for them....and that I don't have to bring them all home. :( There ARE other folks out there who wants cats, and hey, they usually give them good homes.

I have signed up for Tuesday evenings....for 3 hours...to play with the kitties, one at a time.... I can't wait!

:D

Former User
04-13-2002, 02:40 PM
That sounds like fun, I wish I could do that too! To play with bunch of cats... I'm afraid I would get too attached though, and I'd want to bring them ALL home :(

AmberLee
04-13-2002, 03:30 PM
What wonderful work you are doing, SasVermont, making the world better for kitty cats ... Well done!

Pam
04-13-2002, 04:56 PM
Oh the thought of playing with kitties all day is just a little slice of heaven. It sounds like you are a perfect fit for this, with the gift of gab and all! haha! Every time you think of bringing one home just remember that NAWTEE CAT, Graemer, that you already have at home! :D :D

tatsxxx11
04-15-2002, 05:46 PM
Having such fun and doing such tremendous good, all at one time!:) How the kitties must anxiously await your visits, and your love! Thank you for your kindess and generous, caring spirit! Congratulations savsvermont!!

wolflady
04-15-2002, 05:48 PM
Oh how fun! What a wonderful thing to do! I'm with ya, I'd be tempted to bring a few home myself! How neat that you can help give these precious babies a 'boost' into a new forever home!! Enjoy your time with the kitties!
**hugs**

NoahsMommy
04-15-2002, 06:20 PM
That is so cool!! You are helping the homeless kitties so very much...that is wonderful! Keep up the good work! :)

sasvermont
04-16-2002, 05:30 AM
I have signed up for 2 1/2 hours on Tuesdays after working. I have been assigned to playing with the cats - which ever one, for however long I want to play....or groom them....should be fun. What is nice about this particuliar shelter is that they are a no kill place, let cats stay as long as they need to and they pamper their animals! It will be fun to see them get new homes....and hopefully good homes. Lets not kid ourselves, some of these same pets were originally gotten at the shelter or a different shelter. Oh well, luck is important. I always consider my pets to be lucky, since I spoil them so! I am lucky too though!

The temperatures at to be into the low 80's today here in Vermont. Unheard of before! My cats are going right into their summer mode!

:D :D

K & L
04-16-2002, 07:37 AM
What a great service you're doing for all! I love stories like this.

Logan
04-16-2002, 07:41 AM
I'm excited for you and will look forward to hearing all about it!! :) Good for you, for stepping in and giving these cats something postitive. :D

aly
04-16-2002, 12:39 PM
Be careful... thats exactly how I started out volunteering at my shelter. Before too long I got more and more involved until I ended up with several fosters, 2 new dogs, a full time job, an internship coming up in NYC, and a life long committment to the field of animal rescue :D :D :D

lynnestankard
04-18-2002, 07:28 AM
Wonderful work your doing Sasvermont - way to go!!!:D

Lynne

sasvermont
04-18-2002, 08:22 AM
Well, I went to the shelter on Tuesday evening and stayed for 2 1/2 hours. The one cat that I thought was adopted out, was not. He is such a dear kitty. So I played with him first. Then three cats were adopted while I was there, leaving only four. Can you imagine that few? Anyway, I played with the remaining cats, taking them out of their cages, hugging them, kissing them, and brushing them. They all loved it and so did I. I had cat hair all over me by the time I got home. I had to strip at the door (once I got inside that is) since I didn't want my guys to catch anything from the other kitties. I had a wonderful time and was rather tempted to offer Junie (the oh sweet kitty) a new home. But since there are so few cats in the shelter, I would like someone else to give this wonderful kitty a wonderful home. I am trying to share.

The pitiful part to this story is the number of dogs and rabbits at the shelter.

The good news is that they are safe, pampered and have a good chance of living out their lives, either at the shelter or in a warm and fuzzy home....hopefully.....

I am glad I am doing this but wonder how long it will be until I have 40 cats, 20 rabbits, 10 dogs and a bird!

:eek: :eek: :eek: :D

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-18-2002, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by sasvermont

I am glad I am doing this but wonder how long it will be until I have 40 cats, 20 rabbits, 10 dogs and a bird!

:eek: :eek: :eek: :D

:D I know exactly how you feel. If one kitty or doggy or anything was continually passed over, I would feel so bad for it and the next thing you know Tubby and Peanut would have a new friend.

I know the kitty's really appreciated the time you spent with them.

wolflady
04-18-2002, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by Tubby & Peanut's Mom

:D I know exactly how you feel. If one kitty or doggy or anything was continually passed over, I would feel so bad for it and the next thing you know Tubby and Peanut would have a new friend.

I know I would be guilty of this too!!! OMG! It would be so hard to resist those sad eyes!!
sasvermont, what kitty heaven you must be in! Taking them all out, brushing them and loving on them! OH!!! What a wonderful feeling!!
**hugs**

purrley
04-18-2002, 12:18 PM
Sasvermont - Only 1 bird????:D :D :D Talk to Logan - can't have just one bird;)

4 feline house
04-20-2002, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by aly
Be careful... I ended up with a full time job

Hey, you were able to finagle a paying job - most of us do it for nothing!

That may sound like a barb, but it's not!

sasvermont
04-22-2002, 07:13 PM
This past Thursday I stopped by the shelter to "shadow" the person who volunteers that evening. Thought I could learn the ropes from her. I did. And we got to play with all the kittens and their Moms. There were only two litters....but maybe more tomorrow. I can't wait to go there. I hope dear sweet Junie has been adopted. Since there are so few cats there, they are really pampered and I don't feel SOOOO sorry for them. The shelter has lots of kind people there... the animals are nicely taken care of. They just need homes.

Shall we start taking bets on how long I will volunteer there before I bring home a new pet? Hehehehehehehehehehe.

I will keep you all posted! ;)

Former User
04-25-2002, 02:09 AM
Originally posted by sasvermont

Shall we start taking bets on how long I will volunteer there before I bring home a new pet? Hehehehehehehehehehe.

Sure... let's say within a month ;)

Gio
04-25-2002, 03:01 AM
Sure... let's say within a month

That long? :D :D :D

cr7clark
04-28-2002, 07:24 AM
SasVermont, I wouldn't last one week, let alone one month! What a wonderful way to spend one's spare time! When I retire (if I ever do) I would like to give love and hugs to cats at the shelter here in the Aberdeen area. The PetSmart store runs a cat adoption center, right in the store itself, and every time I go there I want to take at least two cats home with me....but Bo would kill me if I did!
Good for you, keep it up and I'm betting that you won't last two weeks.:)

sasvermont
04-30-2002, 03:23 PM
I can't wait to get my hands on those furry little devils at the Humane Society. I have still not adopted any of them. They go out so quickly around here, that I don't feel so bad for them. It sure beats living on the streets. They are SO pampered at the shelter. Anyway, I look forward to seeing which ones have gone where and when, and look forward to meeting the new kittens. Such a rewarding experience. I am not sure I would be so happy about it if the place was a kill shelter and crowded. It is just the opposite. I love it there!:cool:

sasvermont
05-01-2002, 05:22 AM
I don't know the web site addy but it is easy to find. They are in the process of building a $$$$$$$$$$ facility and will move in to it some time in June or July.

Last night was fun, but still not many cats. Surrounding counties have tons of them because of the farms and rural attitudes. Chittenden County is mostly city like folks and it consist of more stray dogs than cats. Right now they have lots of adult rabbits and ferrets.

I will continue to work with them on Tuesday. I look forward to it. And yes, each time I go there I conside adopting a cat, but have resisted so far!

((((((((((animals))))))))))))))))

SAS:D

lynnestankard
05-01-2002, 12:04 PM
Chuck wonderful - I've been in the site having a looke at all those beautiful furkids in need of homes - all I can say is it's a good job I don't live nearer!!!!
So can SallyAnn perleeeeeassssse give cuddles to:-

Sienna. Murphy. Marmalade. Prue. Equinox. Tiger. Morris. Adnos. Rooster.

AND these special black & white babies;-
Dunstun. Tootie. Rosemary. Moak. Marty. Farah. Blue.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lynne

sasvermont
05-01-2002, 12:23 PM
Thanks for the hug suggestion. Sorry (really happy actually) to say that only four cats remain there. They need to update their web site more often. I hugged Murphy all last night - and hopefully he will be adopted tomorrow, for sure. Rosemary is a sad sack and needs lots of TLC - she is missing teeth and is feral like acting. Dunston was adopted yesterday, leaving poor Murphy by himself, after all these years. Marmalade needs an ear operation and will be out of action for a week....and there is one new kitty there....a stray....not very nice....probably just scared..... All the others on the site were adopted!!!!!! Yes!!!

libracats
05-02-2002, 07:40 PM
I have been volunteering for a cat rescue group for almost 4 years now. I started out by adopting a cat from a local cat adoption group. Then I helped in trapping ferals. Then I decided to foster my own litter of kittens. I can not foster any more, as I have kept 6 of my "Fosters". I placed about 20 kitties that I fostered. It is very rewarding. I now go to the adoption site every Saturday and Sunday to "screen" potential kitty owners. To interview someone and then to see them smiling ear to ear as they carry their new kitty out the door is priceless!! I will never stop helping kitties.

lynnestankard
05-03-2002, 04:40 AM
You've made my day SAS - it's really good to know all those furbabies have been given homes.:) :)

Lynne

I_love_cats
06-14-2002, 04:21 PM
I am a volunteer at my shelter, I'm a cat groomer. I play with the kittens, I brushed the adults cats and give them lots of love and attention. I go two times a week, always on Fridays and Saturdays. It's fun experience and everyone should volunteer. You must be very excited and I can tell you it is very rewarding. Have fun on Tuesday!!!

sasvermont
06-14-2002, 08:14 PM
I didn't go this past Tuesday because I had just returned from a mini vacation/holiday. But back to business this coming Tuesday. The cats really appreciate the extra attention from folks like me and since they are not where they could or should be, any extra love cannot hurt them.

It is fun too! You get to pet cats for hours on end!

:D :cool: :D