PDA

View Full Version : Are you flattered, ladies?

Killearn Kitties
02-02-2006, 09:52 AM
I'm not quite sure where to put this. Perhaps it should be in the Dog House, in case it turns ugly (or Richard posts, hehehehehe), but I think it's safe enough.

A while ago a survey was conducted in the UK on wolf whistling. From the 80% of women who said they had been whistled at, 40% said they found it flattering. That figure however, dropped dramatically in Scotland. It seems that Scottish women do not appreciate it.

So I just wondered, if Scotland can be so different from the rest of the UK, what does the rest of the world think?

slick
02-02-2006, 10:03 AM
Ha!!! If I ever got whistled at, I'd laugh it off and tell him/or her :eek: to get new glasses... :D

Corinna
02-02-2006, 10:05 AM
I would be inclined to do thesame as Slick. But inside I guess I would like it.

Pawsitive Thinking
02-02-2006, 10:06 AM
At my age you take what you can get! Whistle away boys..........please

Husky_mom
02-02-2006, 11:19 AM
you know here in mexico we have many many men doing that to anyone with legs and the look of a woman so doesnt matter if you are ugly or pretty youŽll get whistled........

sometimes its just construction workers, or the most horrendous men you could see but even if you feel disgusted deep inside you feel flattered even it if came from these guys, and when it comes from really handsome men you still feel ackward (SP?) but you know you like it........deep deep inside

moosmom
02-02-2006, 11:27 AM
I'm with Slick. If anyone whistled at me, I'd look around for his seeing eye dog.

But I do have a question. WHY do they call it a "wolf whistle"??? I have NEVER heard a wolf make that kind of noise. Anyone care to elaborate.

RICHARD, any snide remarks??? Come on buddy, don't disappoint me now. ;)

RICHARD
02-02-2006, 11:37 AM
Karen,

:p

I personally do not like the Wolf Whistle, the lip smacking sounds or staring like a lecher.

Most men break a woman down to their parts. They see something they like and they have to chime in.... The whistling shows that they aren't "man" enough to either talk to the woman or make eye contact.

An eyeball and a "Hi" or "Good Morning" will do it for me-and a backwards glance after she passes.... :) :eek:

The funniest part is watching a very good looking woman get indignant when that happens........

I have seen instances where a woman is whistled, she turns around and says something and get slammed for it.....having a pack of idiots yelling vulgar slurs probably isn't good for the ego...

Woman,

Just sit back, relax and take it for what it's worth....and know someone noticed you!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
02-02-2006, 11:52 AM
Where I'm from, I just totally ignore it and any other advances that are made. See....North Avenue (where I work) has been known to be home to a few...shall we say....ladies of the night....except they're there in the morning, noon and night! Seems to have cleared up a bit lately, but there used to be this girl that sat on the corner stoop. I'd see her every morning as I came into work, sitting on the stoop, looking all bedraggled and looking pretty rough actually. She didn't seem like some of the hardened hookers you see now and then, she actually seemed like a sweet thing that was just down on her luck. She hobbled a bit, and a I heard she had lost a few toes to the cold Chicago winters which made me feel even worse for her. I haven't seen her in a few years now and I have no idea what happened to her. I hope she found help. :(

Other than that one, they're all pretty skanky looking, some in baggy sweatpants and sweatshirts that look like they've been lived in for months (which they probably have been), with greasy hair, dirty, smelly - ech! I always wonder who in the world would be so hard up they'd actually pay for something like that, but that might explain why I get whistled at. :rolleyes:

Edwina's Secretary
02-02-2006, 02:24 PM
I assume we are talking about JUST a wolf whistle? I am not offended....nor am I offended if a man opens the door for me. Or helps me get my carry-on into or out of the overhead compartment. And I do the same for others. (well....except for the wolf whistling....)

Life is too short to go around being offended all the time.

RICHARD
02-02-2006, 02:36 PM
Where I'm from, I just totally ignore it and any other advances that are made.

lololol,

This is HOW STUPID I AM...

I went to the bank and on the way back to work I see the cutest girl approaching me, she's all dressed up, she's in a blouse and a frilly, small skirt....

As I made it to the bus stop she put her foot up onto the bus bench....

Because I wasn't privy to the view that the street side got....I thought, "that is weird......" about 5 steps past her I realized that she was some kind of person that dealt with "rentals"......

She was merely advertising her wares...... :eek:

lizbud
02-02-2006, 04:55 PM
Just a whistle is ok. I've never acknowledged them, but inside I
think it's a compliment of sorts.Any thing more than that is NOT ok.

IRescue452
02-02-2006, 09:45 PM
I whistle at the good lookin guys. So I have no right to get offended, it'd be hypocritical. Personally, I get embarrassed because I'm not one for the limelight, but I walk away with a big grin if whoever did the whistling is somebody I'd whistle at too. Now the word whistle has become weird.

Jessika
02-02-2006, 09:54 PM
I may get a little embarassed, but really deep inside it makes me feel good, you know?

Cubby'sMom
02-02-2006, 10:33 PM
It has never happened to me, but I think I would be flattered and disgusted at the same time. My sister has had boys hit on her alot at school, ashe just tells them to get a life lol.

Barbara
02-03-2006, 06:26 AM
Last time it happened to me was 10 years ago. I was wearing a short dress black with white dots, black stockings and high heels (because I was on my way from the car to a more official party in mid summer ;) ). I thought it was a compliment and I would think so too if it happened now. But it won't :p

buttercup132
02-03-2006, 08:49 AM
I dont get whistles I get others :rolleyes: Last night at work I got called sweetie 5 times, cutie once and PEACHES!!! Some one did those things with his eyebrows where you move them up and down and all these guys are past 30 and I'm 16 err no thanks...and then some guy at work who is also old said he was going to bring me a rose on valentines day :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
I find it annoying.

Pawsitive Thinking
02-03-2006, 08:58 AM
I dont get whistles I get others :rolleyes: Last night at work I got called sweetie 5 times, cutie once and PEACHES!!! Some one did those things with his eyebrows where you move them up and down and all these guys are past 30 and I'm 16 err no thanks...and then some guy at work who is also old said he was going to bring me a rose on valentines day :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
I find it annoying.

Now that I would find uncomfortable to deal with. My daughter is 16 and I go into total "mom tiger mode" if anyone so much as looks at her! :mad:

cali
02-03-2006, 09:31 AM
my friend and I get wolf whistles and cat calls all the time, we just laugh and make fun of them! I remeber walking home and being called "chickiepoo" oh boy did we have a good laugh!

buttercup132
02-03-2006, 09:39 AM
Now that I would find uncomfortable to deal with. My daughter is 16 and I go into total "mom tiger mode" if anyone so much as looks at her! :mad:
And it's not like I can say anything really I'm at work...Theres also another guy when I worked days he would come in and call me sweetie pie and come to me to pay and just stare at me and watch my everymove and he had his wife with him! He would tell me to smile and wouldnt leave till I did :rolleyes: :mad: It grosses me out. Good thing I work nights now

Pawsitive Thinking
02-03-2006, 10:05 AM
And it's not like I can say anything really I'm at work...Theres also another guy when I worked days he would come in and call me sweetie pie and come to me to pay and just stare at me and watch my everymove and he had his wife with him! He would tell me to smile and wouldnt leave till I did :rolleyes: :mad: It grosses me out. Good thing I work nights now

I have a response for him but I love it here and don't want to be banned! ;)

buttercup132
02-03-2006, 12:34 PM
I have a response for him but I love it here and don't want to be banned! ;)
LOL :p

Vette
02-04-2006, 08:39 PM
Some one did those things with his eyebrows

OMG... if some dude did that to me,, i dont think i could keep a straight face.
infract.. i know i coudlnt. it cracks me up just thinking about it. LOL

just dont be mean or rude to them.. they might get worse if you do. :eek:

and im with Edwina's Secretary.

Van10
02-04-2006, 08:41 PM
Personally I feel very unconfortable when men do that. :o

Uabassoon
02-04-2006, 08:45 PM
I usually pretend like I'm offended, but in all honesty I'm just trying to hold back the laughter.

Cubby'sMom
02-05-2006, 02:57 PM
OMG... if some dude did that to me,, i dont think i could keep a straight face.
infract.. i know i coudlnt. it cracks me up just thinking about it. LOL

just dont be mean or rude to them.. they might get worse if you do. :eek:

and im with Edwina's Secretary.

They do get worse! With my sister the boys starting calling out to her and everything, and she said some stuff I shouldn't put on here, and then they just kept calling. And about the eyebrow thing, I would laugh myself today! I can actually do that, with both too! I crack myself up when I do it, so with boys I'd just die.
:p

G.P.girl
02-05-2006, 03:30 PM
i get whistled at a lot and it really creeps me out if its a gross old man or the construction workers (they;ve been doing a ton of construction lately) but i guess at the same time i still feel kinda flattered. and of course if its a guy i think is pretty hot then i like it...i know probably shouldnt and i never act like i do. but i think inside we're all cool...he thinks i'm hot :o :p

Kfamr
02-05-2006, 05:20 PM
I get called lovey-dovey names at work ALL the time. :rolleyes: It really creeps me out. :eek:

RICHARD
02-07-2006, 05:47 PM
WAIT A SECOND!

We started with a wolf whistle and ended up with name-calling.

Whistles are kinda "neanderthal".

Comments can be down right nasty.

I have, on occasion walked up to a woman and made a comment about her appearance.....That seems to get the best response...

(But you have to measure her before you say anything......)

Edwina's Secretary
02-07-2006, 06:22 PM
(But you have to measure her before you say anything......)

Do you use a tape measure or a ruler? :D :D :D

RICHARD
02-07-2006, 06:33 PM
Do you use a tape measure or a ruler? :D :D :D

I eyeball her. :eek:

Write you own joke for that line.

A wonderful song line from The Warrior/Scandal..

You talk, talk, talk to me
Your eyes touch me physically.....

KYS
02-07-2006, 08:23 PM
When I was a LOT younger I thought cat calls and being whistled at
was very disrespectful.
Now it has been several years with no whistles etc.
I think if someone where to whistle at me at my age,
I would be insulted because I would think they were either
blind or needed glasses. lol

I think a nice compliment from a stranger that appreciates
the way you look is much more polite than
cat calls and whistles. JMHO

Vio&Juni
02-21-2006, 02:53 PM
A few months ago, some kid called me girl and whistled and I wanted to be offended, but quickly realised that he called me GIRL when I am almost 31 :D But that reminded me of how often it used to happen several years ago.

Suki Wingy
02-23-2006, 03:54 PM
At my age I find it VERY disrespectful, especially when boys from school do it when you're walking home in a manner that suggest's they're making fun of you.

carole
03-01-2006, 01:37 PM
Well when i was young i was painfully shy and i got my fair share of wolf whistles, but i was so embarrassed but deep down i kinda liked it i suppose, now if it happened i would probably be elated, lol, does not happen much these days, i can remember when i was pregnant with my son, i had long blonde hair(with help from a bottle) and these guys wolf whistled at me, i guess they were somewhat suprised when they saw the rather large tummy protruding as they drove past, that will teach them. :)

Lizzie
03-01-2006, 08:40 PM
The last time I was whistled at, I was approaching 50 and the guys were in their twenties, driving past as I strode down the hill from the bus in a summer dress. I did glance at the car, thinking they were making fun, but they were smiling so I took it as a compliment and thanked my genes for good legs. I'd be sure they were being sarcastic now. I was whistled at a lot when I was younger and it embarassed me, especially if I was walking past the guys, it was better if they were in a car. I thought I didn't like it, but when the whistles became less and less frequent, I missed it.

Cubby'sMom
03-05-2006, 02:05 PM
I was wolf whistled for the first time about a week and a half ago. I was walking back to our locker room after p.e. with a friend of mine, and there were these guys behind us. I didn't know that at first, but then I heard some wolf whistling and I was like :confused: Then I turned to my friend and I was like "Are they hitting on us or something?" And then she said, "Well, we're the only girls around." Then we both just started laughing because we both looked like a mess after p.e. and everything. I was hit on before that, and the worst part of it was that I was with my bf! These two boys were walking near me and my bf, and we were talking, and all of a sudden the boys said something like "Hey girl, ooouuuuuuuu!!!" My bf got totally silent right there and I felt so bad! He's a shy kind of guy, so that made it worse. I ignored it, but my bf was silent for like 5 minutes lol.

CathyBogart
03-05-2006, 02:25 PM
I don't mind being whistled at because it's so indirect.

When I go out to the club, though, I tend to get guys that will just come up and start dancing really close to me while I'm dancing, almost grinding on me!! :rolleyes: :eek: Fortunately, even though DBF doesn't come with me to the club my good friend there is 6'9" and rather protective. Nobody messes with him. ^_^

RobiLee
03-05-2006, 06:55 PM
I honestly wouldn't know. I can't remember the last time a guy has whistled at me and if one did today I would think he was making fun of me. I'm the one that gets the "moos and oinks". Nothing flattering about that.

Who
03-05-2006, 09:00 PM
No ones ever done it to me. So I wouldn't know. But if someone did I would probably be embaressed

Alysser
03-05-2006, 09:37 PM
LMAO! I love this thread it's funny to read. :p