PDA

View Full Version : My New Pup

rivee
02-01-2006, 05:16 PM
Just got him 5 days ago. Absolutely love him. His name is Cooter. Looking for a good AKC name for him.

luvofallhorses
02-01-2006, 05:19 PM
he's adorable! :) Are you going to show him??

Husky_mom
02-01-2006, 05:22 PM
OMG !!! he´s just sooo cute, he look so regal in that pic,

what´s the kennel name??? i suppose it has to be pat of his name??
tell us more about him, pleeeeaaseeee!!

dab_20
02-01-2006, 05:32 PM
OMG what a cutie!! Another cute golden to look at!! HE'S ADORABLE!! :D :D

lizbud
02-01-2006, 05:49 PM
What a doll baby. :) I love the name too.

cyber-sibes
02-01-2006, 06:03 PM
oh, he's adorable!!!!! What a cutie pie!

Alysser
02-01-2006, 06:17 PM
Cutie

Jessika
02-01-2006, 06:29 PM
OMG !!! he´s just sooo cute, he look so regal in that pic,

what´s the kennel name??? i suppose it has to be pat of his name??
tell us more about him, pleeeeaaseeee!!

Oh yes, what's the kennel name? That plays a key role (IMO) when choosing a registered name because it has to sound good with it! :D

lute
02-01-2006, 06:56 PM
OMG! he's ADORABLE!!! what the kennel name? are you gonna show him? showing dogs is sooo much fun!

chocolatepuppy
02-01-2006, 08:01 PM
Welcome to Pet Talk! Cooter is adorable! :D

Pembroke_Corgi
02-01-2006, 09:20 PM
Welcome to pet talk! What a cutie! (Sorry I don't have any suggestions for names, Cooter is adorable though).

Suki Wingy
02-01-2006, 09:25 PM
I love his name! I'll be thinking for a reg'd name and I'll come back when I think of some because my mind is blank right now :rolleyes: :p Heis ADORABLE, BTW! :)

poofy
02-01-2006, 11:09 PM
How adorabe he is , and by the way, welcome to pet talk.. :)

K9karen
02-01-2006, 11:44 PM
I think I'm having a cuteness overload heart attack! OMG! I can't stand it, he's so adorable! Lucky you! Welcome to PT..prerequiste..LOTS of pictures!

rivee
02-02-2006, 12:02 AM
Thanks all for the compliments. He is 8 wks old this Friday and already 90% potty trained!

Love him to death.

I'm not sure if I'm going to show him or not. I've never done it. My last Goldy died last Oct. at 7.5 years old, and his father (CH Chuckanut's Mighty Warrior)was a super show dog, but I never showed his son.

This pup comes from Chisolms Golden's in Concord CA (Pick of the litter). He has great features and a great personality.

One thing I noticed today is that he likes to curl his tail up when he walks around. Is there a way to keep it straight, or to keep him from curling it up over his back? He is definitely all Golden Retriever according to his registered genealogy.

Jessika
02-02-2006, 12:21 AM
He's still a pup, and a pretty young one at that. I'm sure his tail will straighten out as he gets older :P

Pawsitive Thinking
02-02-2006, 09:34 AM
I'd like to call him mine ! He's beautiful - look forward to watching him grow up

anna_66
02-02-2006, 11:14 AM
I'm very sorry to hear about your last golden, but it sure looks like this little guy will help mend your broken heart...he's too adorable!

Good luck with the naming.

bckrazy
02-02-2006, 03:52 PM
gahh, what a cutie! He has a precious face!! If he's the pick, his breeder probably noticed the tail thing and probably isn't concerned with it affecting his conformation when he matures. I've seen lots of puppies with funny tail carriage, which isn't permanent. I don't think you can do anything, though, if he decides he just likes to carry it that way! Congrats on your adorable little fuzz-ball!!

:0) You should definitely consider showing him for fun, at least, if you're interested. Call his breeder or a local Obedience school for conformation classes... just showing as a hobby really isn't extremely difficult or expensive, you can also do Obedience, Agility, Tracking, Dock-diving, etc, etc, etc with your pup, which is WAAY fun!

Could you give us the registered names of his parents, or perhaps his grandparents? And, anything you'd like included in his name (ie... do you want something referring to his callname, Cooter?) so we can give you suggestions. :) I like using names of songs, or references to the dogs personality, as show names... ie, I've always liked as a show name, Chisolms Rebel Yell ... that's if he's a particularly rebellious little guy!

rivee
02-02-2006, 09:49 PM
gahh, what a cutie! He has a precious face!! If he's the pick, his breeder probably noticed the tail thing and probably isn't concerned with it affecting his conformation when he matures. I've seen lots of puppies with funny tail carriage, which isn't permanent. I don't think you can do anything, though, if he decides he just likes to carry it that way! Congrats on your adorable little fuzz-ball!!

:0) You should definitely consider showing him for fun, at least, if you're interested. Call his breeder or a local Obedience school for conformation classes... just showing as a hobby really isn't extremely difficult or expensive, you can also do Obedience, Agility, Tracking, Dock-diving, etc, etc, etc with your pup, which is WAAY fun!

Could you give us the registered names of his parents, or perhaps his grandparents? And, anything you'd like included in his name (ie... do you want something referring to his callname, Cooter?) so we can give you suggestions. :) I like using names of songs, or references to the dogs personality, as show names... ie, I've always liked as a show name, Chisolms Rebel Yell ... that's if he's a particularly rebellious little guy!

He is pretty feisty so Rebel in the name might be appropriate. I should be getting his parents reg. names along with his pedigree papers shortly.

I trained a female goldy I had in the 1980's-90's for bird hunting (RIP 1981-1998, 17 years old when I had her put to sleep). She turned out to be a very good bird retriever. Not great but good. I wouldn't mind doing it again with this one.

I'm going to look into showing this pup. Although I've never done it, it does sound like fun. Do the dogs like it?

Where/when do I start with him?

Couple more pics:

Giselle
02-02-2006, 10:22 PM
Well, the point of conformation is the evaluation of breeding stock so if you want to show him in "real" shows, you'll need to keep intact. Keep in mind, ONLY do this if you have a seasoned mentor and want to breed to better the breed. If your breeder sold him as a pick of the litter under a show/breeding contract, then you're legally ready to start showing. If, however, your breeder sold you the dog under a pet/companion/limited registration contract, then, unfortunately, you cannot show in "real" conformation shows. That doesn't mean to say, however, that you can't use the dog in performance events like the ones Bckrazy mentioned like Dock Jumping, Agility, Tracking, S&R, Obedience/Rally-O, and more! Also, if you are younger than 18 or you have a child under the age of 18, you can enter the dog in Junior Showmanship which emphasizes on the handler's ability to present the dog rather than the dog's quality itself. I highly suggest you visit AKC.org and read upon which activities you'd like to pursue.

As for suggestions for training in conformation, it is a highly detailed sport centered deep on tradition. The best suggestion is to look for a seasoned, well-respected mentor who has bred and trained many champions of his/her own. They'll take you under their wing and show you the ins and outs of handling. Trust me, there is so much more to it than stacking a dog and gaiting it around the ring. ;) If trained and handled properly, the dogs L-O-V-E the ring!! Their tails start going a thousand miles per hour and some dogs are addicted to applause. If you're serious about conformation, you should be starting hand and free-stacking him right now. You should be acclimating him to all the grooming tools you'll be using. Right now is an essential time for socialization which is vital in a show dog's career. You should also be getting him used to having people pick and pry at his mouth (to check for his bite) and he should have no issues with complete strangers feeling his bodily dimensions. Puppies at this stage are like sponges, so you want to expose him to as many positive experiences as possible. Lastly, you might want to get a head start on training "Watch Me". This is an invaluable tool in conformation. If you're really really serious, you might want to even go ask your breeder to either help train you to handle the dog or go look for some handling classes right now. Your dog will thank you ;) Good Luck and have fun. He's a real beauty! That kink in his tail is odd, but very cute!

*LabLoverKEB*
02-05-2006, 08:47 PM
Hello, you new puppy is just ADORABLE! Could I possible have the web address for the breeder that you purchased you Golden from?! Thanks so much.
Give you pup hugs & kisses for me! :) ;)

MyLittleMutt
02-05-2006, 09:03 PM
He is sooo cute!!

Kfamr
02-05-2006, 09:17 PM
Wow, could Cooter be any cuter? ;) He is just precious and it looks like you live in a very beautiful area.

Welcome to Pet Talk.... I'm Kay & my three mutts are in my signature. :)

RobiLee
02-06-2006, 02:07 AM
Ohh, a new puppy! How exciting. He is adorable. Welcome to Pet Talk. My name is Robin and those are my two girls in my signature. I hope you stay around and share lots of pics of Cooter. It will be fun to watch him grow up.

rivee
02-06-2006, 09:21 AM
Hello, you new puppy is just ADORABLE! Could I possible have the web address for the breeder that you purchased you Golden from?! Thanks so much.
Give you pup hugs & kisses for me! :) ;)

He doesn't have a web site, but his name is Joe Chisolm and he lives in Concord, CA. If you want a phone number I'll send it to you.

JenBKR
02-06-2006, 12:13 PM
What a cutie! Welcome to Pet Talk - looking forward to more pics of Cooter :D

rivee
02-17-2006, 09:23 AM
His new registered name is going to be "Chisolm's Coot de Gras"

I think it's fitting.

And his tail is starting to uncurl.

new mom to a veiled
02-17-2006, 12:19 PM
Hi, and welcome.........Cooter is way to cute. I love your pic for his reg name. I am filled with envy, my fantasy has always been to own a golden!!!! Please keep us up to date with pics of the little furbutt, and give him a hug for me, please.............

*LabLoverKEB*
02-17-2006, 09:15 PM
Ok, thank you very much! :) Cooter is very beautiful puppy! You're very lucky to have him!

Anita Cholaine
02-17-2006, 09:36 PM
Welcome to PT!!! Your Cooter is a total cutie...;)