PDA

View Full Version : Hi

renfest
02-01-2006, 11:17 AM
Just wanted to say hi I have been reading what others have been posting I have a few questions to ask but I will have to get them in the right order to post

rennie

lvpets2002
02-01-2006, 11:31 AM
:) Hello I am Helene & Welcome to Pet Talk & enjoy the talks & pictures.. Ask all the questions you want & we will be glad to answer..

renfest
02-01-2006, 12:23 PM
Thank you I will get the questions together and post them.

rennie

lvpets2002
02-01-2006, 12:48 PM
:) Yes you can post them or e-mail me..

renfest
02-01-2006, 02:07 PM
I am going to be taking my dog into training class in a few weeks I just can't do it myself and hubby's hours are hectic he can't help what I have come to realize as of late is that he likes to play w/his lead and will not let go. When I have been walking him and he starts doing that I actually have to fight with him to drop it, he think's it's a game we are playing it's not like I don't take time out for him in the evenings we have what I call puppy time,we play and he has his tug toys.

We also wind the evening down with him chewing on a cow hoof as we are sitting by the fire so I guess my question is how can I stop him from chewing the lead.

rennie

lvpets2002
02-01-2006, 03:45 PM
:) MMMM have you tried buying a retractable lead & or a lead with a nose strap? Is this a real young dog? You might take a sqeaky toy with you to distract your baby from the lead..

renfest
02-01-2006, 04:05 PM
he is over 6 months old and he will be going into class soon I was thinking about getting a retractable lead...

rennie

lvpets2002
02-01-2006, 04:28 PM
:) Yes your baby is very much in the playfull all the time stage.. Yes the diff. lead & also I am sure schooling will do your baby some real good..

renfest
02-01-2006, 04:54 PM
[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]I wish I knew how to place pic's under my signature he is a cutie and I know that school will be good for him ... he is all chew and we correct and direct him when he needs it .. even my kids help out

rennie

lvpets2002
02-01-2006, 04:57 PM
I download my CD of pictures to Computer "C" drive & then go to Photobucket on internet & upload to there & then go to User CP & upload from Photobucket IM # of picture into your signature.. Everybody does it different thow.. Hope that helps..

renfest
02-01-2006, 05:04 PM
I tried that and it didn't work..

renfest
02-01-2006, 05:09 PM
http://photobucket.com/albums/v190/renfest/Merilyn/

rennie

dab_20
02-01-2006, 05:48 PM
Welcome to PT! Your dog is adorable!!

The puppy classes should help with those leash problems... it's ok, most puppies do the leash chewing at first.

Your photobucket is a bit different then mine.... http://photobucket.com/albums/a22/dab_20/?sc=3

If you scroll down on mine it has a thing where you select to get a URL.

You can look at my pics if you want... it shows lots of my animals.

buttercup132
02-01-2006, 06:04 PM
:confused: theres not [IMG] for yours

renfest
02-01-2006, 06:26 PM
Thank you he is a handful I don't ever remember my Britts being that much of a handful or my Akita but that was many many yrs ago and they have all passed ...

rennie

BTW the URL did not allow me to log in :(

Kfamr
02-01-2006, 06:30 PM
I wouldn't recommend a retractable leash for a puppy. He needs to learn how to walk properly on a regular lead, first.

When he chews say "NO!" and take it away from him. After you take it away from him, give him something he CAN chew on.

Good luck and welcome to Pet Talk.

renfest
02-01-2006, 06:36 PM
We do that we do the correct and direct and the only thing that he is chewing is his lead, that is what get's me I tell him no and then he jumps for it like it's a game or something I feel he does that just to make me say no..

rennie

renfest
02-01-2006, 07:54 PM
His name is Merilyn if I knew how to post pic's I would he also has a cat named Zaknafein who is black and the saying is Irish Not All Who Wander Are Lost

rennie

dab_20
02-01-2006, 08:40 PM
Wow that Irish thing is neat.

renfest
02-01-2006, 08:45 PM
Thank you I am a bit rusty it's been a while since I spoke it ...

rennie

Pembroke_Corgi
02-01-2006, 09:16 PM
Welcome to pet talk! My name is Jill, and I've got a pembroke welsh corgi, a greyhound mix, and a 6 month old kitten. Merilyn is very cute!

To make a signature or to post pictures, go to your photbucket album, and right click on the picture you would like to use. Choose "properties" and it will give you a URL address. You can copy & paste this. Under "quick links" on this page one option under user control panel is to edit your signature. Then just click on the insert image icon and paste the URL address for the picture.

Ginger's Mom
02-01-2006, 09:26 PM
Hi Rennie, welcome to Pet Talk. I am not a trainer, and have no special knowledge or experience, but...(you knew that was coming didn't you?), a lot of puppies do pull and bite on the leash while walking. I do not think it is an attempt to play, I believe it is a dominance thing. You need to take the control away from him. When Ginger would do it, I would tell her no, then tell her to sit. When we were still in training I would always take treats with us on our walks, because we would usually need them for attention and correction. Anyway, tell her to sit then reward good behavior (eventually you will use just praise, and then praise every two times, etc.). I believe that while on a walk, "sit" is one of the best control words you can use. Once he learns that you are in charge, and you decide how fast, where, and when you walk, he will no longer be trying to get the leash.
He is adorable. :)

renfest
02-01-2006, 09:44 PM
Whenever we are on walks which as of late it's either been to cold or raining .. he loves the snow I always take treats and I do have him sit when I place the lead on him it seems that during the evening he is the most energetic since we are all home even tho my hubby and I work from home and he get's so much attention. Thank you allot of people just adore him and he is just so happy to be loved we got him when he was 7 weeks he was destened for the shelter and no life..

rennie

renfest
02-01-2006, 09:46 PM
Welcome to pet talk! My name is Jill, and I've got a pembroke welsh corgi, a greyhound mix, and a 6 month old kitten. Merilyn is very cute!

To make a signature or to post pictures, go to your photbucket album, and right click on the picture you would like to use. Choose "properties" and it will give you a URL address. You can copy & paste this. Under "quick links" on this page one option under user control panel is to edit your signature. Then just click on the insert image icon and paste the URL address for the picture.

Thank you I will also try that I am racking my brain I think it decided to go to sleep on me Merilyn also has a black cat brother Zaknafein plus 4 kids and hubby

rennie

renfest
02-02-2006, 07:12 PM
Well it does not post the picture just the URL ... what did I do wrong??? I followed the instructions and well I am at a loss thanx anyway

rennie