PDA

View Full Version : Telephone

Laura's Babies
01-31-2006, 07:08 PM
Has anyone noticed that more and more when you call someplace, someone answers the phone and are talking so fast that you can not understand a word they are saying? It goes like "Hello!bsalhfda;jkvbdalufoi';vh;avnoi;v;skj"..
I find this is happening to me a lot lately... call the doctors and get that, call the phone company and get that... My response is "Huh?" and they do it again "jkdshv;jhpdmdifjfofnj;vid'n!".. I just had to tell a girl "I didn't understand one word of what you just said, could you please slow down?" I have told them, "Look honey, I am from the SOUTH and down here we talk slow and listen slow, so could you slow down to MY speed?". Anybody else running into that?

Alysser
01-31-2006, 07:11 PM
LOL! Some of my friends do that. It's so annoying. :rolleyes:

kuhio98
01-31-2006, 07:58 PM
Laura ~ It happens here all the time. I especially hate it when people leave message on the answering machine and rattle off their phone number so quickly that you have to listen to it 3 times to get all the numbers. If you want me to call you back, SLOW DOWN. You know your phone number by heart, but I don't.

Chilli
01-31-2006, 08:08 PM
I've never had that problem. :)

chocolatepuppy
01-31-2006, 08:28 PM
It's usually me talking that fast. :o

Laura's Babies
01-31-2006, 08:31 PM
Did you ever talk to a very annoyed older lady that told you "Look Honey, I live in the south and you have to talk slower for me to understand you?" LOL! Was that YOU I talked to tonight?!

JenBKR
02-01-2006, 08:21 AM
It's usually me talking that fast. :o

Me too! I don't know why I do it, but I catch myself sometimes and try to slow down. That doesn't always last though. I usually talk fast when I'm nervous - in high school and college anytime I had to do a presentation in front of a class a ten minute speech at home turned into 3.5 minutes :o

lbaker
02-01-2006, 08:43 AM
I work in Customer/Membership Services and it AMAZES me how some people that supposedly use the phone every day at their jobs are so incredibly stupid about their phone manners, or lack thereof :rolleyes:

gemini9961
02-01-2006, 09:40 AM
I am from Florida, born and raised and sometimes I feel I am talking too fast. I live in the South but sometimes I think Florida is in a category all it's own with the amount of people that move here from all over. My parents were from the North. :o Maybe that's why I talk so fast, hearing them. :)

Cataholic
02-01-2006, 09:51 AM
Kuhio- I have that same problem!! I want to leave a voice message that says, "please speak slowly, clearly and into the mouthpiece IF you want your call returned". I have had many people (clients!!) call and say, "Hi, Johanna, this is so and so, call me back, thanks". NO PHONE NUMBER!

Ack. Speak slowly, and clearly!

lv4dogs
02-01-2006, 10:00 AM
I'm guilty. I talk fast too.

mruffruff
02-01-2006, 11:28 AM
Talking fast is less of a problem for me than the automated answering machines that have 8 or 9 choices---none of which are what I want.

Edwina's Secretary
02-01-2006, 11:47 AM
I do much of my work over the phone and get so frustrated by both...."thank you for calling asldjfldjlkjldsjldj." I know it become very rote to answer a phone but what good does it do if the caller cannot understand?

And "call me" with no phone number or so fast I need to replay over and over getting one number at a time. :mad: :mad:

When I leave a message I say my name at the beginning and my number (with area code) twice and my name again at the end.

I also find amazing how many people rely on auto callback. I use one phone for outgoing calls and another for incoming. When an applicant replies on my outgoing line I know they didn't listen carefully to the message.

Randi
02-01-2006, 12:03 PM
Talking fast is less of a problem for me than the automated answering machines that have 8 or 9 choices---none of which are what I want.
I hate that too!! :mad: At least, sometimes you're lucky enough to be able to get back to the switchboard girl.

Some english speaking sales person rang a few weeks ago and talked really fast - I said "#&ck off" and hung up.