PDA

View Full Version : When An Indoor Cat Gets Out

Pam
04-13-2002, 06:47 AM
Yesterday at work my co-worker was upset because right before she left for work her 4 year old cat, who has never been outside, darted out the door. She couldn't find him and eventually had to give up looking and come to work. He has never been outside before and she is of course very worried about how he will be. She asked me, if and hopefully when he comes back, should she separate him from her other cat because of his potential for picking up a disease while outside. She said he is up to date on all of his shots but is there something that he might catch which has no vaccine? I told her I didn't know. Here's hoping he returns quickly, but should she be worried about disease?

04-13-2002, 08:00 AM
...shots are like a flak-jacket - not perfect protection, but much better with than without. If a rescue or feed store has a live trap, it will be the easiest way. Put in tuna or BBQ chicken and...voila! See! see!?

K & L
04-13-2002, 08:45 AM
If the cat is out for a short period of time, no apparent signs of fighting, he should be fine to return indoors. We adopted a cat from the outside that turned out to be incontinent, so he cannot stay in on a regular basis. All his shots are up to date and he comes and goes from the outside to in. So far we have had no problems with disease. We have him checked regularly for FIV etc.

4 feline house
04-13-2002, 09:49 AM
Well, yes, there's always that chance.......

But there's just as much a chance that she's brining in something on her shoes everytime she goes out!

FIP and FIV have no vaccine, but one can be carried on anything and the other is rare and requires an exchange of bodily fluids for transmission (like saliva in a bite).

So, tell her to relax. The risk is not that great.

Lachesis
04-13-2002, 12:24 PM
Wow I didnt know there was no vaccine for FIP and FIV. I just assumed there was. Im so glad we have these boards!

Originally posted by 4 feline house

FIP and FIV have no vaccine, but one can be carried on anything and the other is rare and requires an exchange of bodily fluids for transmission (like saliva in a bite).

Former User
04-13-2002, 12:40 PM
HA! So you are the roommate! ;) ;) Thanx for bringing Leah back!

gini
04-13-2002, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Casper & Kitty

DITTO

AmberLee
04-13-2002, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Casper & Kitty

Me three!!!

Pam
04-13-2002, 04:50 PM
Tiger, my friend's cat, was on the front step this morning when her husband pulled up (he works nights). The car scared him and he ran away. :( She put food out, but it hasn't been touched.

yorkster
04-13-2002, 06:07 PM
Oh my. That is one of my worst fears!!! :eek:

One of my cats has never been outside, and the other used to before I got him (he was a stray). He is a door-dasher big time.
:( I am constantly worried for him because we live a couple blocks from a busy road, and there are coyotes around. :eek:
He has gotten out once since we lived here (3 years), and I was a wreck.

Your poor friend. I hope her kitty returns soon- what a worry.

04-13-2002, 11:47 PM

According to the world class College of Veterinary Medicine, Cornell University (http://maxshouse.com/vaccines.htm), a vaccine for FIP exists. Many do not recommend it as it is not that effective.

I rest my case.

4 feline house
04-14-2002, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by tutone
Actually, there is a vaccine for FIP, but since there's still no hard evidence of its efficacy or safety, it's rarely recommended by most vets.

Originally posted by Ross Purr-o
According to the world class College of Veterinary Medicine, Cornell University, a vaccine for FIP exists. Many do not recommend it as it is not that effective.

Gee, there's an echo in here. Alright, anyone else want to come in and tell me how wrong I am? ;)

Gee, I make one mistake and look how y'all act! :rolleyes:

Okay, start lining up! :D

04-15-2002, 02:23 PM
please get us update on that run-away-cat . I'm really worried ; my cat is an indoor-cat too , and I would be so scared if he would run of !!!

yorkster
04-15-2002, 04:40 PM
I second that! (what lut said)

Pam
04-15-2002, 05:43 PM
Tiger has still not come home. :( The food is being eaten and we are hoping that Tiger is the one doing the eating. Her neighbor said she saw him recently so at least he appears to have stayed in the area. The closest real busy highway is about a mile and a half away and everyone is hoping he doesn't decide to travel too far from the house. She is very worried and says her other cat seems to be noticing Tiger's absence. :(

AmberLee
04-15-2002, 06:56 PM
Oh, the anxiety of a missing fur baby! {{{Tiger and Tiger's family}}} Holding Tiger and his family in my thought and prayers.

4 feline house
04-15-2002, 08:37 PM
Well, I guess I was on drugs when I first read this post. Not only did I give advice that was wrong (and I even knew better) but I missed the part that said and hopefully when he comes back.

Prayers for Tiger!

Pam
04-20-2002, 06:34 AM
Tiger has still not come home although there have been numerous "Tiger sightings" among the neighbors. His food is disappearing so we are hoping that he is the one eating. At least he appears to be staying close by. We had some very nasty storms rumble through here yesterday and the day before and my friend was so worried about him and hoping that he had found shelter. :(

Pam
04-20-2002, 08:34 AM
I mentioned the possibility of trapping him. She seemed to be willing to consider that but I don't think she has made any moves to finding a trap. I mentioned that she could try the local shelter, which in her case would be the Gloucester County Animal Shelter (where coincidentally is where Today's Dog came from. :) ) It is near her home.

rg_girlca
04-20-2002, 05:14 PM
Oh Pam i pray and hope that your friends kitty comes back safe and sound. Has she gone around the neighbourhood calling for her cat? I have had this happen to me in the past and i know how upsetting this can be. Please, please keep us posted. Gosh i have tears in my eyes just thinking about the poor little kitty out there all alone and how frightened she must be.
Please let your friend know that we wish her all the luck and that she is in our prayers.
By the way, i was fortunate to find my kitty the same night after searching hours with a flashlight. I could hear him meowing, but he was to frighten to come out, so i had to crawl under a gallery to get him out. Thank god he was okay.
Picture this though. Walking down the street in the middle of the night, holding your cat in your arms and telling him, out loud mind you, not to ever scare mommy like that again and that he was grounded. No treats for him that night. (but he still got them cause i was just so happy to have found him) :)

AmberLee
04-21-2002, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by rg_girlca
... Picture this though. ...

Very easy to picture it: been there, done that, and gave treats after swearing I wouldn't. :rolleyes: So glad you got your baby home so quickly. I do worry about Tiger -- Pam's friend must be half out of her mind with worry. :(

Logan
04-21-2002, 09:32 AM
I remember this feeling all too well, Pam. I've been reading and praying that your friend's cat would be home, and inside by now. My Shrimp Boat experience was a bit different than this, since we were about 3 1/2 hours away from home when she escaped. She had never even attempted to get out before. But the car ride and darkness, and new environment scared her so badly that she darted out the door before we knew it. :( :( :( She had id on, we searched for three days, put up signs, asked every single person in that whole campground to keep an eye out for her. We never saw her again. :(

I think and hope Tiger's experience will be better. I'd be doing that trap in a heartbeat if I were your friend.

Logan

rg_girlca
04-22-2002, 10:25 AM
Oh Logan what a sad story. I'm so sorry you didn't find your kitty.
My heart goes out to you. :(

Pam, any word yet on your friends kitty?????

Pam
04-22-2002, 05:40 PM
I talked to her again today about the trap. She said she is leaving food on the front step and also on the deck out back. She is hoping to see him when he is eating and then coax him inside. She didn't seem to think the trap was necessary at this point. She is obviously not as upset as I would be under the circumstances.

rg_girlca
04-24-2002, 07:49 PM
Pam any news yet on your friends kitty?????

Pam
04-24-2002, 08:34 PM
rg_girlca, I just asked her today if Tiger came home. She said unfortunately no, but her neighbor in the back said she saw him come out from behind her shed yesterday so he is staying so close by! I pleaded with her to get a trap but she seems to think that one day he will just come right into her yard and she will be able to coax him to come in. I sure hope she is right! Anyway, I gather that most of the neighbors by now know what he looks like so if he stays in the area maybe one of them might be able to catch him too. Thank you for asking about him. You can be sure if he comes home I will let you know!

gini
04-24-2002, 09:29 PM
Everyone is different aren't they? I would have had a posse out looking for Tiger - skipped work - not eaten a thing - just to look for my cat.

I have been there and done that - in fact, just a few nights ago.

Mr. Rascal decided he wanted to stay outdoors a little longer than usual - I was up and down the street calling him and around 9:45 PM he comes sauntering in like "YA TALKIN TA ME?"

You are so upset with them, but at the same time so relieved that you scold them and hug them at the same time.

I sure hope Tiger comes home for good soon.

Pam
04-27-2002, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by gini
Everyone is different aren't they? I would have had a posse out looking for Tiger - skipped work - not eaten a thing - just to look for my cat.

That's what I would have done too. She does have the neighbors on the lookout but that's about it for now. The last time I spoke with her about setting a trap she told me that she is afraid of trapping a skunk because there seem to be a lot of them in her area (sort of rural setting). She doesn't know how she would 'untrap' a skunk if she woke up to find him in her trap. I just hope Tiger returns on his own. She seems to think it will happen eventually and told me yesterday that since it is not winter time she is not as worried. I would worry no matter what the season!

gini
05-06-2002, 09:36 AM
Pam, Did Tiger ever come home?

Pam
05-06-2002, 10:15 AM
I am leaving for work in about 15 minutes so I will find out if he came home. I seriously doubt it because I am sure she would have e-mailed me at least. I guess not everyone feels the way us Pet Talkers do about their furkids. I know I would have been in a frenzy and done anything and everything if either of my 3 got out.

aly
05-09-2002, 12:29 AM
This has me stressed out. I HATE the thought of lost animals. I hope your friend will try to be more proactive in her search for the poor kitty. The cat will be in my prayers until the day he returns home. The story of Jasper gives me hope.

Pam
05-09-2002, 06:27 AM
Aly, every day when I go into work I ask about him and the answer is always no, he hasn't come home. The other day when I asked, another co-worker said "Why are you still asking? The cat is probably having a good time being free." Somehow I don't think that is the case for a cat who lived 4 years inside and is not used to the outdoors. :( My friend got him originally from an animal shelter and her friend works there. She is on the look-out if he should be turned in.

Pam
12-12-2002, 08:00 AM
Good news......sort of! Got this in an e-mail from my friend last night. Isn't this amazing after all of this time!

Rich said that when he left for work this morning he saw Tiger in our neighbors trash. He said that when Tiger spotted him he took off around behind the house. He said that he thinks Tiger is living in the drainage ditch behind the house in the pipe and all and perhaps is killing all the mice there and eating them. Ryan thinks he is eating the neighbor's cat food.

If this is truly Tiger (and they certainly feel it is) it just shows how resilient and resourceful he has been. Keep your fingers crossed that they can entice Tiger back inside.

sasvermont
12-12-2002, 08:10 AM
I don't think this person really, deep down, cares what happens to her/their kitty. I guess the animal will learn to live outside. Some cats do rather enjoy it.

By the way, remember my neighbor's cat Ozzie? The one that kept running back to his old home (5 miles away)...well, he is now settled down at his new home and only goes back every now and then. He uses a bike path that drops him almost directly on his old doorstep. (We don't think he uses a bike, however...let me check in the garage....) We think it is the colder weather that is keeping him at his new house.

I went and picked him up over Thanksgiving.....at his old house....it takes him about 48 hours to get back there.....

Guess you cannot teach some cats new tricks.

Pam, I hope your co-worker doesn't take on a new kitty .... just because this one hasn't been trapped.

SAS

Pam
12-12-2002, 08:15 AM
I agree with everything you have said! She certainly doesn't place quite the value on her pets that I do. She is a nice person but we don't see eye to eye when it comes to our pets. I am sure she feels I go overboard. She does have another cat (inside) who at first seemed to really be lost without Tiger. Now she seems to have moved on. If I thought for one minute that my cat was living in a drainage ditch I would be horrified and have to do all in my power to get him back. I again suggested a trap with food and even catnip. My two come running for catnip. I'll keep everyone posted if there are updates.

Edwina's Secretary
12-12-2002, 09:39 AM
At the risk of anthropomorphism....why did the cat not want to be in the house? A four year inside cat with a yen for a taste of the wild....very understandable...but to be close to the house and not ask to come in to cool off/warm up/get out of the rain or snow/sleep on a cushion?

Odd I think....

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
12-12-2002, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Edwina's Secretary
At the risk of anthropomorphism....why did the cat not want to be in the house? A four year inside cat with a yen for a taste of the wild....very understandable...but to be close to the house and not ask to come in to cool off/warm up/get out of the rain or snow/sleep on a cushion?

Odd I think....

To add to this, why did he run from "Rich" (who I'm assuming is the man of the household) instead of coming up and saying "Hi, haven't seen you for awhile, can I come back in the house now?"

Hopefully he'll come home soon......

sasvermont
12-12-2002, 12:09 PM
Well, I think someone should find that sweet and silly kitty a new home. Ahemmmmmm, Pam. Maybe Dandy would like a playmate? I am surprised their neighbors haven't trapped the baby and taken it somewhere.

I don't know, this just isn't sitting right with me. There is something odd about this cat and the owners. Maybe it was feral to begin with....and given the chance to go outside, it loves it out.

I think my guys would love to be outside until they: 1.) Had to use the litter; 2.) got hungry; 3.) got cold; 4.) got lonely.....and scared.....which is what is confusing about this kitty.

Amen...enough from me about this.....I need to give it up and move on to another topic..... Sorry Pam.

:rolleyes:

yorkster
12-15-2002, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by sasvermont

I think my guys would love to be outside until they: 1.) Had to use the litter; 2.) got hungry; 3.) got cold; 4.) got lonely.....and scared.....which is what is confusing about this kitty.

:rolleyes:

:D :D :D

mine too!!! they really are not the big mighty lions that they like me to think they are (and that they think they are!)

Pam
12-15-2002, 05:21 AM
SAS, it's funny but I asked her just the other day if she got this kitty as a wee little one or if he had been on his own and maybe picked up as a stray. I was also thinking he might have been feral, since he came from the shelter. She said she got him as a kitten! Go figure! She did tell me that she is going to again put food out for him and also catnip. She isn't "into" the trap idea (her words).

Yes, T&P Rich is the hubby. I can't figure that one out either. Tiger has lived inside all of his four short years with another kitty and a dog. I have been at her home and the other animals are quite friendly so in my opinion it's not like Tiger was trying to escape from a hostile environment. This is a puzzling one for sure. Maybe I'll have an update tomorrow when I go into work. Tiger's "mom" is a really nice person. It's just that we are a long way from seeing eye to eye on this one!

Yorkster - good to see you back again! By the way, Happy Belated Birthday!

yorkster
12-15-2002, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Pam

Yorkster - good to see you back again! By the way, Happy Belated Birthday!

Thanks Pam!
I wish I could say that I can be back 'all the way' but.............going to real estate school right now, so I'm busy-busy-busy for awhile. I just keep up on the Freckles situation and occasional e-mail notification I get.
Hope everyone (and all) is well with the Pet Talkers!
Have a great Christmas everyone!

Pam
05-24-2003, 05:00 PM
I don't know how many of you are still around that have followed this thread. My co-worker told me yesterday that Tiger has gone on to the Rainbow Bridge. He was hit by a car. :( She was driving her son to school and she thought she saw him on the side of the road but didn't stop because she didn't want her son to see. On the trip back she noticed Animal Control was there and she pulled over. It was unfortunately Tiger. :( RIP Tiger. :(

Lachesis
05-24-2003, 08:27 PM
Oh I am so so *so* sorry to read this :(

krazyaboutkatz
05-24-2003, 09:32 PM
I just now saw this thread. I'm so sorry to hear this sad news. :( RIP sweet Tiger.

PayItForward
05-25-2003, 08:08 AM
What a sad story :(

RIP Tiger, Be happy & play in RB.

I am very confused about the owners attitude towards traps, I am surprise she wouldn't make this small effort to regain her pet. IMO it sounds like this cat was unwanted....

I am not surprised that Tiger learned to fend for himself outside, cats tend to act wilder, if they have access to the outside world. He would quickly learn to hunt and a drain would give him a basic shelter from the worst weather.

For instance my playful & affectionate Milo, won't allow me to pick him up and cuddle him when he is outside. It would ruin his street cred.

Cats show their kitten side when they are inside away from other strange cats but when they are outside they become adult 'we are mighty hunters' cats.
(This behaviour does not apply to cats in outside runs, this is still classed as inside as far as this type of behaviour goes.)

You would be surprised at how many of your own cats could & would cope with fending for themselves. But no doubt Tiger and other strays must miss companionship & security that an owner 'should' offer.

marysmerrycats
05-27-2003, 12:16 PM
this is just such sad news, I could try for that cat Tigar. as I read the posts, i was also thinking the same as many of you...why did the cat run away and not want to come back? that is very strange. in the short time I have been fostering these 2 cats, Henry has ran out the door about 3 times, but he has always stayed close to me, and I got him back inside right away. or he has come around to the front door and meowed, he wanted back in!( it was 4AM and I couldn't find him so I went back in, very upset...an hour later, there he was!)
like others have said, I can not, ever, imagine not doing anything and everything in my power to find my cat if one of them were outside. I just could NEVER rest til he or she was back , safe, and "home" with the rest of the family!
rest in peace Tigar.

You would be surprised at how many of your own cats could & would cope with fending for themselves
I'm sure thats true. but I think they would come back. Charlie was found in a wash when he was only 4 weeks old! and I know Louise would do ok. the others would learn, but, I hope that never happens. I have taken them outside a few times, only when they are with me, and I have done it so they learn the look and smell of the immediate area. I tested Patches one day... I carried him down the sidewalk to the parking lot(not a busy lot, and empty), and then set him down... he could not get back home fast enough!! he ran, and he was slightly confused by the other similar looking gates, but he found it easily! and he couldn't wait to go back inside!
the only reason I did that is, he was running out the door when I went outside. I didn't do it to be cruel, I wanted them to know the immediate area. before I leave for vacation, I am going to do it again. if my cats should getout while I am away, I want them to be able to find their way back home. I know this is silly and over protective.. anyway it would only be Cassie or Patches that would run out. I mean, not only like those 2 don't matter, but I mean that they would not "all" do that.