PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Dog Food

elizabethann
01-31-2006, 12:31 PM
I have a question. Does anybody feed their dogs multiple dog foods? I mix 4 different dog foods for Fenway. This is what I give him:

50% Merrick Grammy's Pot Pie
25% Enova (spelling?)
15% Nutro
10% Fromms (spelling?)

I originally started doing this because I wanted his Merrick to last longer. I think he likes the mixture and the flavor. He's been eating this way for the past 6 months and is doing fine.

Do you think it's a bad idea to feed your dog multiple food like this?

Just curious.

Thanks!

lv4dogs
01-31-2006, 12:37 PM
I don't think that is a bad idea at all.
Since Innova came out with a new large breed senior food I am thinking about mixing it with their (Nanook's & Raustyk's) food, which is Nutro Natural Choice Large Breed Weight Management (why do they make some of the names so long?LOL)

I just love the ingredients of other foods but the glucosamine & chondrotin levels in the NNCLBWM is just what I need for my two. They already get other supplements so I really didn't want to add 2 more when they can get it in their food.

Granted if I mix the 2 they won't be getting as much of the glucosamine & chondrotin, but since the Innova has better ingredients (IMO) I think it would be a nice balance.

My ferrets get a mix of foods & they do wonderful on it.

I never even thought about it for the sole purpose of making a better more expensive brand last longer, as long as all the brands are decent I think its a great idea!

Kaige seems to get bored of a food after about 2 weeks on it so this may be a great idea for him as well.

elizabethann
01-31-2006, 12:40 PM
QUOTE: Kaige seems to get bored of a food after about 2 weeks on it so this may be a great idea for him as well.

That is another reason why I did it. Because he wasn't eating his hard food. Now he eats it. Thanks for the reply.

lv4dogs
01-31-2006, 12:47 PM
QUOTE: Kaige seems to get bored of a food after about 2 weeks on it so this may be a great idea for him as well.

That is another reason why I did it. Because he wasn't eating his hard food. Now he eats it. Thanks for the reply.

Glad he's not the only one. The first couple/few weeks on a new food he will gobble his food right down, finishing it completely in about 10 minutes or so. After that it takes him about an hour just to eat half of his meal. :rolleyes:
I think I will try this see if it works.

beeniesmom
01-31-2006, 01:19 PM
I do the same for Beenie.
50% Merrick
50% Nutro lamb and rice

bckrazy
01-31-2006, 01:35 PM
I think it's a great idea, as long as all of the foods are high quality, and you aren't mixing a poor quality food (ie Pedigree) with a high quality food (ie Innova) - which, all of those foods are good quality. I've heard that slowly mixing in a variety of high quality kibbles is great for dogs, as well as mixing in veggies & meats & yogurt and whatever other wholesome supplements. Of course, for people with dogs with allergies, it's best to stick to a kibble that doesn't trigger any bad reactions.

Personally, I would like to mix a slightly cheaper food (like Nutro) with Gonzo's Evo, but he wouldn't have it. He has very picky taste in kibble now, as he LOVES Evo, Innova, Wellness & Solid Gold but absolutely nothing less. Some one got him Iams sauce stuff for X-mas, and when I poured it on his Evo he refused to eat it until I refilled the bowl with plain kibble. I guess he knows lower-grade ingredients >_<

beeniesmom
01-31-2006, 02:56 PM
Some one got him Iams sauce stuff for X-mas, and when I poured it on his Evo he refused to eat it until I refilled the bowl with plain kibble. I guess he knows lower-grade ingredients >_<

Oh yes, mine won't eat that mess either.
I got a free sample of it at Pet Supermarket.
Even Frankie who is a garbage disposal put his nose up and walked away.
I had to throw it out.

Suki Wingy
01-31-2006, 04:01 PM
yes, because my mom refuses to stop buying Iams, so he gets a mix of bil-jac and iams

Glacier
01-31-2006, 05:01 PM
My dogs eat a combo. First they eat a combo of kibble and meat. I buy one kind of kibble, Acana Performance (a working dog mix). I buy a ton twice a year. We get other stuff given to us pretty regularly. I just mix it in with their regular kibble.

beeniesmom
02-01-2006, 08:33 AM
I buy a ton twice a year.

Wow! Where do you store it?