PDA

View Full Version : Connections w/ Your Dog

BC_MoM
01-30-2006, 10:52 PM
**MAKE SURE YOU READ THIS WHOLE THREAD**

So you all know that little connection that you have with your dog, right?

Well, when we got Mickey, that connection was instant.

I'm still not really connected with Molly, though. Some of my siblings claim they are, but I'm not sure.

There's this 2 year old- Border Collie at the pound... and everytime I see his picture my heart jumps.. stomps, and I wish we had waited longer and got him instead.....

But then I think.. No, we can't return Molly. I wouldn't do that to her. No way.

But I really want this BC... but a third dog is COMPLETELY out of the question.......

http://tinypic.com/mbmzww.jpg
http://i1.tinypic.com/mkiy3d.jpg

I think the reason Mickey is adjusting so slow to Molly is because she is a puppy, and also because she is a female, who tend to be more dominant.

Mickey grew up with 2 other males and I've always thought he would get along better with them..

You guys... I'm really in a hole. What the heck do I do???? (aka How can I reassure myself?) http://i1.tinypic.com/mvsze9.gif

**NOW**

I'm not saying I am giving Molly away. I'm not saying I like this dog better. Please do not twist my words, or assume things. :)

Thank you to all of you who posted in the other thread. I read every single one of your posts of advice and really took them in. Thank you! :)

CagneyDog
01-30-2006, 10:53 PM
Oh okay, you made your last thread sound that way. WEll what would you like advice on then if you are not giving away Molly for that dog and three dogs is out of the question?

slleipnir
01-30-2006, 10:55 PM
Did you delete the other post?? Man, I had a long post...totally not repeating it tonight lol

(edit)

I think you need to give it time for a bond to form.

Kfamr
01-30-2006, 10:56 PM
I'm kind of upset that a handful of caring, thoughtful posts were deleted, including mine.... Oh well, I suppose? :(

BC_MoM
01-30-2006, 10:57 PM
Did you delete the other post?? Man, I had a long post...totally not repeating it tonight lol

(edit)

I think you need to give it time for a bond to form.

Don't worry, lol.

Thank you to all of you who posted in the other thread. :)

If anyone else would like to say anything, please feel free to advise me. :)

bckrazy
01-30-2006, 10:58 PM
yikes. :( I just posted a long post on the other thread, right before it was deleted.

Anywho, the gist of mine was also that it takes time!! My advice is to spend lots of one-on-one time with Molly, lots of individual training and play-time. A lot of puppies who are raised with adult dogs become more bonded to the other dog than to their owner... her personality also hasn't even developed fully, and you have the next 12-15 years to form that connection with her ^_~

Edit: also, this does not matter, buut I think Molly is much cuter than the boy in rescue. He is a doll, but Molly is just... precious.

Corinna
01-30-2006, 11:07 PM
I think you should let some one else enjoy the love of a BC . Your sibs have Molly and you have Mickey. Bringing in another dog could cause Mikey to feel left out , he seems to be Your dog .

Tollers-n-Dobes
01-30-2006, 11:10 PM
You can't always feel a special connection between each dog you own. I love all of my dogs, but Tango is the only one of mine that I actually feel connected with and I hate to say it, but yes, I obviously do have a favourite between my dogs. Give it time, you may never feel a connection with her but that's ok. She's still loved by the rest of your family and I'm sure you must love her too. This other BC will find a great home, I'm sure.

Crazy-Cat-Lover
01-31-2006, 02:25 AM
I am like that. I will see a dog on Petfinder and say "Oh, I HAVE to adopt that dog!". After thinking about it for a good while, I realize that you can only *really* have a connection to a dog that loves you. Like when I only wanted a purebred dog - thanks to all of the posts - I have now decided that I should give more than one breed/dog a chance. My next dog will not be given away, I dont care if I have to live in a box! I have to take my time to really think about what kind of dog I want, why I want it and if it fits my lifestyle.

Molly is a beautiful puppy, her personality will shine through once she gets older. I am sure that she and Mickey will grow to love each other and become best of friends. It takes time, she will grow up to be a wonderful dog - just look at Molly and be proud that you are raising her and showing her all the love you have.

That BC is beautiful, but I dont think you can even compare him to Molly - Molly is just way too cute! Its hard - but you can get through this. Once the puppy stage is over, I know things will be fine.

http://www.smileypad.com/v10/Cache/Personal/Group-Hug.gif

Amethyst
01-31-2006, 04:11 AM
Spend more time on her.

Play games with her.

Does she like playing balls with you or something like this?

Dog is a child after all,they need our care all their life.

I think love could make everthing,she will know it. :D

Cheer up!!! :D

cloverfdx
01-31-2006, 07:55 AM
Molly is only a baby give her some time, spend some one on one time with her play with her. Bonds do not form instantly (Some do ;) ), these things take time.

We have had Miss Tinny with us for 2 weeks now, the bond was retty much instant with her.. but it took years for Clover and i to bond (Luv my red dog).

BitsyNaceyDog
01-31-2006, 08:29 AM
No, we can't return Molly. I wouldn't do that to her. No way.
... but a third dog is COMPLETELY out of the question.

I don't understand why you are even asking for our advise & opinions. You have the answer to your question in your own post.

JenBKR
01-31-2006, 08:42 AM
I must've missed the other thread? Anyway, I understand where you are coming from - some bonds do form instantly. Roscoe and I did not form that special bond instantly though - I love dogs, and I loved him when we first got him, but I almost felt like something was missing. It took about six or seven months of playing, walking him, obedience training, and cuddle time with him before the special bond really started, and now I can't imagine life without him. He became a momma's boy too, he follows me everywhere :D That special bond between you two may never happen, but if you give Molly special attention and time, it might grow deeper that you can even imagine.

caseysmom
01-31-2006, 09:34 AM
I never saw the other thread but from this thread it seems you are having trouble bonding with one of your dogs?

When I got Bubba I got him for my daughter I didn't have "that" feeling like I had with casey, she is definetely the love of my life. Now it has all changed, Casey is still my heart dog but I have gotten very attached to bubba, it took quite a bit of time, but now he is definetely my baby.

Just my two cents :D

lv4dogs
01-31-2006, 09:50 AM
[B]

But then I think.. No, we can't return Molly. I wouldn't do that to her. No way.

But I really want this BC... but a third dog is COMPLETELY out of the question.......

You answered it yourself right there.

Not all dogs will connect with you nor will you with them right away.
Is Molly enrolled in classes? They will help a lot with many things including bonding.

Whos to say that the other BC won't bond with you right away either. You could be in the same situation all over again, or even worse.

I'd say love what you have & let the others get love of their own. When the time is right the right dog will be there for you. Patience is the key to MANY things in life.

JenBKR
01-31-2006, 09:53 AM
Is Molly enrolled in classes? They will help a lot with many things including bonding.

That's exactly right - Roscoe's obedience classes really brought us together. They made such a difference in our relationship. I really recommend trying classes.

Pembroke_Corgi
01-31-2006, 10:36 AM
I agree with the others, spending more time with her will probably help you and Molly bond. But, I also think not every dog is "right" for every person. You may not feel as strongly as you do about Mickey, but I'm sure you'll come to love Molly in your own way.

I don't have the same relationship with Adele as I do with Marta. I found Adele on petfinder and thought "This is the dog for me," but you know what, it was still hard for us to adjust to having another dog around. I love her dearly, but her and my husband share more of a bond than her & me. Marta is my special dog, and Adele is his (but of course, we both give them attention and love, it's just we each share a special bond with one of them). I think eventually you will "click" with Molly, it will just take some time. In the mean time, you can try spending some quality time with her and of course with Mickey too. Good luck.