PDA

View Full Version : This video has made me become vegaterian!

buttercup132
01-30-2006, 02:38 PM
It's graphic but it teaches you what gose on.
http://www.petatv.com/tvpopup/video.asp?video=free_me_video&Player=wm&speed=_med

Roxyluvsme13
01-30-2006, 02:44 PM
:eek: Thats almost made me cry..Those poor animals! :(

Kfamr
01-30-2006, 02:44 PM
I believe this belongs in the Dog House.

jackie
01-30-2006, 02:52 PM
I agree, this is dog house material.

I_luv_rusty
01-30-2006, 03:36 PM
That was realy sad!! It almost made me cry!! :(

.sarah
01-30-2006, 03:38 PM
I'm not going to watch it, but it was videos that made me go veggie too. They're really horrific to watch. :(

lv4dogs
01-30-2006, 03:39 PM
yup dog house material.

I don't always agree with PITA but yes these things really go on. :(

Just make sure if you are becoming a vegatarian because of the cruilty to animals that you may as well become a vegan. Egg farms, milking farms (for milk, cheese, cream, yougurt, all dairy products) etc.. can be just as cruel if not worse.

CathyBogart
01-30-2006, 03:47 PM
It's definitely extremist, but it does get the point across.

.sarah
01-30-2006, 04:15 PM
yup dog house material.

I don't always agree with PITA but yes these things really go on. :(

Just make sure if you are becoming a vegatarian because of the cruilty to animals that you may as well become a vegan. Egg farms, milking farms (for milk, cheese, cream, yougurt, all dairy products) etc.. can be just as cruel if not worse.
I'm not vegan because I hate tofu and soy, but I still didn't want to support animal cruelty. So, I did some research and found a good organic milk & milk product company (Horizon Organic). I also use organic eggs from cage-free vegetarian-fed hens. And then for baking and cooking I use soy milk and egg substitutes, because I can't tell the difference if it's cooked :p

buttercup132
01-30-2006, 04:29 PM
Sorry about not putting this in dog house I didn't know what the dog house was really for.
The only thing I like from dairy products is milk so it won't be very hard to become Vegen(sp?) I had my first veg meal today and tried some new stuff. The only problem with me is that I'm VERY picky!

Flatcoatluver
01-30-2006, 04:52 PM
I have now been a vegetarion for over 6 months, and yes thats the video that made me change. Hopefully I can stay this way forever, but it is hard when my freinds invite me over to there house and all they have is meat. good luck

.sarah
01-30-2006, 04:57 PM
Sorry about not putting this in dog house I didn't know what the dog house was really for.
The only thing I like from dairy products is milk so it won't be very hard to become Vegen(sp?) I had my first veg meal today and tried some new stuff. The only problem with me is that I'm VERY picky!
I'm picky too. :p If you want I can give you some recipes if you like to cook. Though I don't have many vegan ones, just vegetarian. I also have a book of restaurants that are vegan and vegetarian friendly and I downloaded it online. I'll try to find that for you.

There's also a member on here named veegan who is vegan.

BC_MoM
01-30-2006, 04:58 PM
Ok, my opinion all this vegetarian stuff:

If you've read the Bible, you'll know that God put animals on this earth for us to eat. Not to play with. lol

BUT the thing I don't agree with is how some places do it. It is extremely inhumane and I know God didn't mean for it to be that way. But He gave his people the ability to choose. Sadly, some choice the wrong.

Flatcoatluver
01-30-2006, 05:03 PM
For me, I think of animals more as humans, they are always there for me and respect me. I don't think I could actually eat animals; for all that they have done for me, even though I haven’t meant those animals before. Does that kind of make sense??

buttercup132
01-30-2006, 05:05 PM
If you've read the Bible, you'll know that God put animals on this earth for us to eat. Not to play with. lol
No disrespect but I dont belive in the bible once so ever.

BC_MoM
01-30-2006, 05:06 PM
No disrespect but I dont belive in the bible once so ever.

Hehe.. that's alright.. I respect your opinion on it. :)

.sarah
01-30-2006, 05:14 PM

BUT the thing I don't agree with is how some places do it. It is extremely inhumane and I know God didn't mean for it to be that way. But He gave his people the ability to choose. Sadly, some choice the wrong.
I know a lot of people feel that way. I'm not very religious though. I believe in God but that's about the extent of it.

I love animals too much to support cruelty to them. I honestly would not be vegetarian today if animals were killed humanely for their meat. But then again, that's not very possible. If I knew the meat on my plate lived a healthy life and was treated well until it's very last breath, I could eat it. But that's not the way it is, and I can't go on pretending so like I did for the first 15 years of my life. I had this weird thing where I would not eat meat if it "looked" like the animal, like if the bone was still there. I was making myself believe it wasn't really an animal.

And now I'm very happy with my decision. I am much healthier both physically as well as in state of mind - because I do not worry about what is on my dinner plate. It's a pain in the butt sometimes, but well worth it.

Alysser
01-30-2006, 05:22 PM
I feel the same as Bc_mom. I won't stop eating animals. BUT I hate the way some places do that. That's what makes me upset.

CathyBogart
01-30-2006, 05:36 PM
I honestly would not be vegetarian today if animals were killed humanely for their meat. But then again, that's not very possible. If I knew the meat on my plate lived a healthy life and was treated well until it's very last breath, I could eat it.

That is exactly why the small amount of meat that I eat comes from the local 4-H. I used to be a part of that program, I KNOW those animals were loved and lived wonderful lives. I still don't buy it very often, but once in awhile it's nice (plus if I don't DBF will go buy the commercially slaughtered stuff and I just don't want that in my house)

.sarah
01-30-2006, 05:40 PM
That is exactly why the small amount of meat that I eat comes from the local 4-H. I used to be a part of that program, I KNOW those animals were loved and lived wonderful lives. I still don't buy it very often, but once in awhile it's nice (plus if I don't DBF will go buy the commercially slaughtered stuff and I just don't want that in my house)
That's good! I respect people more when they care enough to do something about the cruelty, whether it be going vegetarian or buying your meat from a source like that. I don't like it when people say that they hate what's going on, but refuse to do anything about it.

Karen
I'm not going to watch it because I do not trust PETA one eensy teensy bit. They have lied and distorted the truth so many times to spread their very pointed, often extremist views that they are not trustworthy.

I wish that People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals had some ethics of thier own.

I moved this to the Dog House.

Uabassoon
Just make sure that you eat healthy and you should also start taking some vitamins especially since you are young. I used to be a vegetarian and I put on a lot of weight because I wasn't eating right. Make sure to eat plenty of veggies and foods that are good for you.

CathyBogart
01-30-2006, 05:41 PM
I wish that People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals had some ethics of thier own.

Well said!

ETA: I also will not support any organization that wants to ban ownership of reptiles (or in PETA's case, all pets but especially reptiles). That's why I donate to local rescues rather than the Humane Soceity, etc...

.sarah
01-30-2006, 05:46 PM
I'm not going to watch it because I do not trust PETA one eensy teensy bit. They have lied and distorted the truth so many times to spread their very pointed, often extremist views that they are not trustworthy.

I moved this to the Dog House.
I agree, PETA is not a reliable source for anything, really.

But I don't think these videos are too far off (if at all) from the truth.

Karen
01-30-2006, 05:50 PM

But just by going to their site when one clicks on the link, one benefits their cause as they can tell advertisers and others that they get X-many visitors! So I won't even click on it.

lizbud
01-30-2006, 06:03 PM
But just by going to their site when one clicks on the link, one benefits their cause as they can tell advertisers and others that they get X-many visitors! So I won't even click on it.

I thought that moderators remained neutral in a discussion. :confused:

Love the way discussions about animals always turns into a anti-
pita chant. :rolleyes:

Karen
01-30-2006, 06:09 PM
Moderating this board is not a paid position, so I have taken no legal vow to remain neutral. I just normally do.

That said, I just wanted people to know that even by "just visiting" a site, it can benefit the people who run it.

And, lizbud, we have many, many, many, many discussions about animals on this board that have nothing to do with PETA, for or against.

CathyBogart
01-30-2006, 06:15 PM
Love the way discussions about animals always turns into a anti-
pita chant. :rolleyes:

I love Pita, especially when it's full of falafels, maybe a little plain yogurt and cucumber...

Anyways, there are a lot of reasons for pet lovers to dislike PETA...and it's hardly something that "Always" comes up....every month or two certainly, but not that often.

sammy101
01-30-2006, 06:23 PM
arent you still supporting these places when you buy your pets food with meat in it?I'm not trying to start anything,but most likely you are.
I'm not going to watch the video.I dont really like PETA but its heartbreaking that some of these animals have to live like this.I dont believe every single place is like this.

lizbud
01-30-2006, 06:26 PM
I love Pita, especially when it's full of falafels, maybe a little plain yogurt and cucumber...

You got me there....Ooops, peta. :o I love pita bread too. :D

CathyBogart
01-30-2006, 06:30 PM
Actually, when I buy rodents for my snake, I am careful to go through a source that humanely pre-kills them. I'm lucky to have several of those available to me locally. When I am able to adopt a dog, s/he will eat the same meat that I do (only raw). :)

Once, when I worked in a pet store, some lady told me that I was "sick" for awning a snake. She said "I would NEVER own an animal that I had to feed other animals to!" Ya know what...her dog was standing right beside her! If I hadn't been working, I would have told her exactly what I think about the mentality that if it's ground up and doesn't *look* like an naimal anymore it's not an animal.

There's a greek restaurant about 1/2 hour away that makes the most AWESOME homemade pita. *drool*

.sarah
01-30-2006, 06:43 PM
arent you still supporting these places when you buy your pets food with meat in it?I'm not trying to start anything,but most likely you are.
It depends. There are some brands that only use free-range, organic meat. You can also feed raw or home-cook your dogs food, which is what I do for the most part. And I know where the meat comes from.

I'm not going to watch the video.I dont really like PETA but its heartbreaking that some of these animals have to live like this.I dont believe every single place is like this.
Every place isn't like that, but most of the ones that sell in the grocery store are. If a company treated their animals humanely, they would most definetly advertise it!

buttercup132
01-30-2006, 07:21 PM
Hmm I have a organic farm that I pass with Trigger when we ride(the one with the ponies that have bad hooves) But I think I will ask them for some tips and ask them how there meat is done. After seeing that video though I don't think I could touch another peice of meat when I know it was killed so horibly it's scared me for life.

Thanks Karen for moving it.

JenBKR
01-31-2006, 07:54 AM

THANK YOU! That is a point that so many people don't understand.

Not to say that whatever happens in the video (I'm not going to watch it) is not true, but PETA is a very unreliable source.

Miss Z
01-31-2006, 08:05 AM
Welcome to vegetarianism! I have been one for 6 years now, and videos like that have made me one. Good luck with it;)

buttercup132
01-31-2006, 04:41 PM
I'm just scared I'm not gonna get the right things and will get sick

CathyBogart
01-31-2006, 06:25 PM
Do some research on nutrition, it's not terribly hard to get what you need. I failed the first time I dropped meat because I wasn't getting NEARLY enough iron and I got sick. This time, I picked up a vegetarian cookbook and did a few google searches (I always do s few and compare info so that I don't get sompletely waky info from a legit looking site) and less than two weeks into it I already feel a difference. :)

buttercup132
02-01-2006, 11:36 AM
:( I scared myself too much I cant do it I'm not eating right so even though I felt like being sick I forced myself to eat some ravioli. I'm kinda dissapointed in myself but I really dont want to get sick I have enough problems with my health already. But I think I will try some meat alternatives and eat more veggies and less meat.

WolvesRawk
02-01-2006, 05:58 PM
I've seen that video before. It's so sad. I've always been vegitarian though, so it didn't cause me to not eat meat. Meat is gross. (Except fish!)

Alysser
02-01-2006, 07:55 PM

I agree as well. I heard PETA killed innocent people in protests and rallies.

Crazy-Cat-Lover
02-01-2006, 08:55 PM
I love meat, I always have, always will. I eat meat because humans have eaten meat since the beginning of time. I cant stand pork and hardly eat beef. I love poultry, you can put any flavour under the sun on it. I love to cook and if I became a vegan - what would DH and my daughter do? They would be forced into vegetarianism. There many negative aspects of vegetarianism. The possible deficiencies that may develop if a balanced eating plan is not consumed. If dairy, meat, fish, and poultry are excluded, one may become deficient in vitamin B12(important for nerve transmission and necessary for life), calcium (for strong bones, among other functions), iron (for blood), and zinc (for immunity and healing), just to name a few. You have to be VERY determined to stick to your diet and consult a doctor before becoming a vegetarian. It is NOT something you can do overnight, you have to study, plan and think about what you're doing to make sure you dont end up seriously ill.

While the PETA video shows cruelty, not every place is like that. You cant judge stuff like this, especially when it's coming from PETA.

Nuff said....

buttercup132
02-01-2006, 09:20 PM
Thanks crazy cat you have made me feel MUCH better. I thinke ating some steak might bring back my appitite(sp?) for meat, I tried eating chcken tonight but I gagged.. :rolleyes: I need something more chewy I dont know why I just do.

.sarah
02-01-2006, 09:39 PM
I love meat, I always have, always will. I eat meat because humans have eaten meat since the beginning of time. I cant stand pork and hardly eat beef. I love poultry, you can put any flavour under the sun on it. I love to cook and if I became a vegan - what would DH and my daughter do? They would be forced into vegetarianism. There many negative aspects of vegetarianism. The possible deficiencies that may develop if a balanced eating plan is not consumed. If dairy, meat, fish, and poultry are excluded, one may become deficient in vitamin B12(important for nerve transmission and necessary for life), calcium (for strong bones, among other functions), iron (for blood), and zinc (for immunity and healing), just to name a few. You have to be VERY determined to stick to your diet and consult a doctor before becoming a vegetarian. It is NOT something you can do overnight, you have to study, plan and think about what you're doing to make sure you dont end up seriously ill.

While the PETA video shows cruelty, not every place is like that. You cant judge stuff like this, especially when it's coming from PETA.

Nuff said....
Yes, people have been eating meat since the beginning of time. Does that make it right? No. I could bring up the old "Just because someone jumps off a bridge, do you?" and use that as an example here. You should do what you feel is right, tradition or not.

Just because you are vegetarian/vegan doesn't succomb your family to it as well. If my future husband wants to eat meat, fine, I don't care. But I would hope that he would let me explain how important is to me that it comes from a place that treats their animals humanely, and respect that.

There are just as many things that can result from eating meat as can from being vegetarian. Different diets work for different people. I am much healthier as a vegetarian, but it is not right for everyone. There are certain diseases that are higher risk as a meat-eater. Anyone who does not have a balanced, well-planned diet will not be as healthy as someone who does, vegetarian or not. Vitamin supplements can take care of lack of calcium, iron, and B-12.

Yes, you have to be determined to stick to your diet. I stick to it because I don't like to know that what's on my plate was treated cruel during it's life and died a painful death. I guess it all depends on what your priorities are.

Every place is not like the one in the video, as already mentioned in this thread. However, a majority of them are. The animals welfare is usually not the concern at meat farms -- the money is. And the ones that do treat their animals humanely usually have something on their package saying so.

Crazy-Cat-Lover
02-01-2006, 10:14 PM
Humans were not meant to eat strictly meat or vegetables. Instead we are meant to eat both. Many studies prove that the humans digestive tract is longer than a carnivores, but shorter than a herbivores. Many herbivores possess multiple stomachs. If people were designed to be strict vegetarians, we would have a specialized colon, specialized teeth and a stomach that doesn’t have a generalized pH - all the better to handle roughage. Furthermore, we have a production of hydrochloric acid in our stomachs, something not found in herbivores. The human pancreas manufactures a full range of digestive enzymes to handle a wide variety of foods, both animal and vegetable.

I guess it all depends on your feelings on this. Everyone has the right to their own choice. Vegetarian, Vegan or meat eater - we are all people. I certainly hate the fact that lots of factory farms are so cruel to the animals and I want to kill myself for contributing. I am very inconfident that I could change my diet - I know there are risks whether you are Vegan or not, but I just couldnt do it. I also dislike it when people think, "You eat other animals, so you obviously dont love your own". I love my animals very much! We are true omnivores (many studies have been done) and were designed to eat meat and vegetables. I am very healthy, I eat alot of vegetables and grains, with only a small portion of meat at dinner time.

I am very proud of you ladies that are vegetarian, believe me. You are very strong. That is a huge step to take - one that I know I couldnt take.

.sarah
02-01-2006, 11:04 PM
I agree with everything you just said. It really is personal preference, and whether or not your body can handle one or the other. As long as people are educated on the matter and don't make up excuses, I don't care what their choice is. ;)

Caxis
02-03-2006, 12:41 AM
Most of this stuff happens in places like Mexico, and many Asain countries, because the laws against Animal Cruelty are VERY lax, and seldom enforced.

USA, UK, and most of Europe enforce their laws against it. I don't know anything about the inspection process for these countries, but I'd assume that the person who checks the animals to determine if they can be eaten or not would notice abuse.

CathyBogart
02-03-2006, 12:43 AM
Not necessarily. Just because there are standards in the US doesn't mean they are enforced or that they're very high standards. Abuse like this is NOT something that is confined to less industrialized countries.

dogzr#1
02-03-2006, 08:31 PM
i don't really want to watch the video... but i really do wish to become a vegitarian(sp?). my mom said she will let me once i am a bit older. she said that becoming a vegitarian could give me some nutritional deficiency of some sort and that i need that while i am growing. i am not sure if that made sense but she gave me a better reason that i can't really explain in typing.

CarrieB
02-08-2006, 10:53 PM
I watched that video.. and.. i actully cried. I am trying to become vegetarian now!! I know I have only been one for about a week... but it's a good start for me because I used to eat meat everyday. My parents don't take me seriously.. but that won't effect my decision whether to become one or not.