PDA

View Full Version : Bush Exposed

lizbud
01-30-2006, 11:25 AM
Someone please clue this guy in........Please.

Bush exposes his gap in education

Derrick Z. Jackson, a syndicated columnist based in Boston: New York Times News Service
Published January 30, 2006

Our commander in certitude went to Kansas State University last week. The publicized reason was to defend ultrasecret domestic spying. For much of his speech and question-and-answer period, President Bush served juicy red meat in a red state where he slammed John Kerry in the 2004 election, 62 percent to 37 percent. He said:

- "This enemy cannot beat us. They cannot defeat us militarily. There's no chance."

- "In the short term, we'll stay on the offense."

- "Congress gave me the authority to use necessary force to protect the American people."

- "We're using all assets at our disposal to protect you."

In the question-and-answer period, there was a moment when Bush was caught confused about his assets in another arena. Someone asked Bush, "Recently, $12.7 billion was cut from education ... How is that supposed to help our futures?"

There was applause from the crowd.

Bush stumbled: "Education budget was cut? Say it again. What was cut?"

The person said, "$12.7 billion was cut from education. And I was just wanting to know: How is that supposed to help our futures?"

Bush said, "At the federal level?"

The person said, "Yes."

Bush said, "I don't think we've actually--for higher education?"

The person said, "Student loans."

Bush said, "Student loans?"

The person said, "Yes, student loans."

Bush said, "Actually I think what we did was reform the student loan program. We are not cutting money out of it. In other words, people aren't going to be cut off the program. We're just making sure ... it functions better. In other words, we are not taking people off student loans. We are saving money in the student loan program because it's inefficient."

Bush continued, "And secondly, ... we're actually expanding the number of Pell grants through our budget."

Karl Rove should have told Bush that if you visit a university and offer a question-and-answer session, you might get asked about education. The question came two weeks after Bush gave an address at an elementary school in Glen Burnie, Md., to tout the fourth anniversary of the No Child Left Behind Act. In that address, Bush said, "We have a moral obligation to make sure every child gets a good education ... It's not right to have a system that quits on kids. I mean, some schools may not think they're quitting on kids, but when you shuffle kids through the schools without determining whether or not they can read and write and add and subtract, I view that as quitting on kids."

It is stunningly clear that Bush and the Republican Congress have quit on the kids. The questioner at Kansas State was correct. In December, the Senate passed a $12.7 billion cut in loan aid, which would force college students and their families to pay much higher interest rates on their loans. Pell grants would remain capped at $4,050 for the fourth straight year, further depressing purchasing power that has declined, according to the American Council on Education, from covering 84 percent of the cost of a public four-year college in 1972 to 34 percent today.

On the K-12 front, despite the immense budgetary authority originally granted by Congress to make No Child Left Behind work, Bush and the Republicans took the assets at their disposal and shuffled them over to what is becoming a needless trillion-dollar war in Iraq. They shuffled them over to the needless trillion-dollar tax cuts for the wealthy, cuts they still want to make permanent.

Because of those decisions, the gap between what Congress budgets for No Child Left Behind and what states and localities have to pay to meet its rules have sparked nationwide complaints from both red and blue states. The White House and its Department of Education beat back one lawsuit last year brought by the National Education Association, but it faces another from the State of Connecticut, one endorsed by 109 of the state's 169 school boards, according to the Hartford Courant.

Connecticut Atty. Gen. Richard Blumenthal called the goals of No Child Left Behind "worthy," but said "the federal government must be held accountable for its education promises." Evasion of such accountability was abundantly evident in Bush's bumbling answer at Kansas State. For all his certitude about tax cuts, war and holding terrorists accountable, Bush never did say how the $12.7 billion cut in student loans was supposed to help our future.

Edwina's Secretary
01-30-2006, 12:10 PM
It was even better to SEE Bush try and handle the question of education cuts. John Stewart had it on his show. Bush's inability to "hear" the question went on for a bit while he waited for his handlers to feed him an answer!

RICHARD
01-30-2006, 01:23 PM
Someone please clue this guy in........Please.

Bush exposes his gap

Someone tell him that a good leather belt will keep that from happening...

And I thought it was a thread about Laura.. :eek: :confused: :rolleyes:

JenBKR
01-30-2006, 01:32 PM

Oh my gosh Richard - LOL :D

RICHARD
01-30-2006, 01:37 PM
Oh my gosh Richard - LOL :D

REMEMBER,

WE are dealing with politicians here!!

You know the difference between politicians and comedians?

Comedians are allowed to laugh after they make a statement....

Laura's Babies
01-31-2006, 09:26 AM
Bush did it for me when he looked at Mike Brown on national TV and told him what a great job he was doing during Katrina's aftermath.. I started wondering then, what world Bush was living in.........

I think his best bet is to stay off of TV. The more he speaks the more he opens mouth and inserts his foot!

beeniesmom
01-31-2006, 11:51 AM
Hahahaha :D

K9soul
01-31-2006, 11:57 AM
It was even better to SEE Bush try and handle the question of education cuts. John Stewart had it on his show. Bush's inability to "hear" the question went on for a bit while he waited for his handlers to feed him an answer!

I saw that segment on The Daily Show as well. Jon Stewart's facial expressions/reactions are the best :D.

lizbud
01-31-2006, 04:47 PM
I saw that segment on The Daily Show as well. Jon Stewart's facial expressions/reactions are the best :D.

I've seen brief bits of the Daily Show & I really like it. What night
is it on? I just keep missing it.

RICHARD
01-31-2006, 05:54 PM
An hour, ten until the speech!!!

El Mayor de Los Angeles will do the Dem rebuttal in Espanol aftet GWB lulls us to sleep.....

Senor Villaraigosa also gave a speech during the Mayor's convention about recovering from a hurricane....

Hurricane? In Lost Angeles??? :confused:

lady_zana
02-01-2006, 06:08 AM
I've seen brief bits of the Daily Show & I really like it. What night
is it on? I just keep missing it.

I believe they have a new one each night. It comes on Comedy Central at 11:00 PM EST.

K9soul
02-01-2006, 10:21 AM
It's on Monday through Thursday at 10 my time (CST) on Comedy Central. I have my DVR set to record it so I don't miss it :D.

You can also see video clips from it here:

http://www.comedycentral.com/sitewide/media_player/browsevideos.jhtml?showId=934

Edwina's Secretary
02-01-2006, 10:45 AM
It is also run the following day -- here at 10:00, 2:00 and 8:00.

RICHARD
02-01-2006, 03:35 PM
What happened to Cindy Sheehan last night?

How did she get in?

Who invited her?

And what was the purpose? :confused:

lizbud
02-01-2006, 04:36 PM
What happened to Cindy Sheehan last night?

How did she get in?

Who invited her?

And what was the purpose? :confused:

She got in because she had a ticket. She was escourted out
because she removed her jacket revealing an anti-war message.

Bascally they didn't like her shirt.

lvpets2002
02-01-2006, 05:02 PM

:) Way to go Richard & all thow very good & would like to use the good leather belt on Bush.. I have gave up on this man long ago..

Lady's Human
02-01-2006, 05:25 PM
Ms. Sheehan got into the gallery with a ticket given to her by Rep. Woolsey from CA. She was removed because of the political slogan on her T-shirt. Not because of what it was, but because it was. The wife of a Republican Congressman was ejected because she was also wearing a political slogan. One was against the war, one was for the war, it didn't matter, both were ejected, as they have never allowed political slogans in the galleries, it is against house rules. An man protesting against President Clinton was ejected during a SOTU speech for the same reasons. It's not a new policy, just another example of the media spinning the story rather than reporting the story.

lizbud
02-01-2006, 05:42 PM
Oops, they made a mistake. :rolleyes:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/02/01/sheehan.arrest/index.html

RICHARD
02-01-2006, 05:49 PM
I heard that she was arrested last night, but no reason was given...

I just heard that Ms Congressman's wife was asked to take it off or leave....she left....

When Sheehan was asked do the same she didn't react...hence the bracelets.

First making out with that Chavez guy, saying that the American Empire needed to be defeated and then this???

Someone has more that enough time on their twisted hands.

LH,

Thanks for pointing out the FRUITCAKE who gave her the pass was a Cah Lee Fuh Nee un..... ;)

-------------------------------------

The mistake is trying to keep decorum while the rest of the country goes to crap.

I say throw them both out and make THEM apologize for acting like fools...
I bet if you dress up to go to a play and some AH shows up with a t shirt that has on it Ozzy Osbourne or Gilbert and Hammerstein SUCK people wouldn't be happy about it.

The thing that really sucks about this story is that people refuse to play by a few rules.....By the way.....What was up with the NANCY PELOSI dress and the way she greeted the Pres???

An announcer made a comment, it went something like 'Ill will, well met" -meaning that NP is more two faced than anything else...

Lady's Human
02-01-2006, 06:25 PM
Frankly, the seat of the US Government calls for a little decorum, and the State of the Union Address, being a Constitutional requirement, is not the time to score points for whatever cause you happen to be championing. If you want a government that allows anything within the halls of government, try Taiwan.

Edwina's Secretary
02-01-2006, 06:26 PM
One was against the war, one was for the war, it didn't matter, both were ejected, as they have never allowed political slogans in the galleries, it is against house rules. An man protesting against President Clinton was ejected during a SOTU speech for the same reasons. It's not a new policy, just another example of the media spinning the story rather than reporting the story.

Not quite true, LH! One was arrested, one wasn't. And..... it is NOT against house rules.

So where is the media spin???????

Lady's Human
02-01-2006, 06:34 PM
One was arrested for refusing to comply, and the other simply left when given the choice between taking off the shirt or leaving, depending on which media outlet you get the story from. There seem to be at least four versions going around. CNN, Fox, Breitbart, and Reuters all have varying stories.

The story was partially written already, as well prior to the address, there were stories about what Ms. Sheehan was going to do, and whether it was legal or not.

Again, this is not the first time that someone has been ejected from house chambers for wearing a T-shirt.

RICHARD
02-01-2006, 06:43 PM
Not quite true, LH! One was arrested, one wasn't. And..... it is NOT against house rules.

So where is the media spin???????

Well,

One was asked to leave and did.
One was asked to leave and refused.

Where is the spin????

Right here......

Woolsey Statement Regarding Cindy Sheehan
February 1, 2006

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- U.S. Representative Lynn Woolsey (D-Petaluma) today issued the following statement regarding Cindy Sheehan’s arrest in the gallery of the House of Representatives before the State of the Union address. Mrs. Sheehan was Rep. Lynn Woolsey’s guest to the President’s State of the Union address.

“Since when is free speech conditional on whether you agree with the President? Cindy Sheehan, who gave her own flesh and blood for this disastrous war, did not violate any rules of the House of Representatives. She merely wore a shirt that highlighted the human cost of the Iraq war and expressed a view different than that of the President. Free speech and the First Amendment exist to protect dissenting statements like Ms. Sheehan’s last night.

“Stifling the truth will not blind Americans to the immorality of sending young Americans to die in an unnecessary war, against a nation that posed no threat to our security. The President's speech last night was yet another attempt to distort history, as he suggested -- once again -- that the 9/11 terrorists came from Iraq. Everyone knows this is not true. We must not be afraid to say that the emperor has no clothes. It's time to bring our troops home.”

Uh huh,

A-holery justified!

Funny, I see POST NO BILLS and NO SHIRT, NO SHOES, NO SERVICE signs all the time....I guess it's the real hard rules that people can't seem to follow!

I'll say the emperor has no clothes! Since the emperor wears no clothes and it's his speech anything can happen???

----------------------------------------------

All funnyness aside.

Different factions DEMAND respect....Call Nancy P, Barbara B or JFK (the senator not the President) a LIAR and watch the media and dems have a field day.

The Spineless One, nancy Pelosi entertained a bunch of protestors at her meeting a few weeks ago...she let them detract from her talk, all the while glancing out of the corner of her eye.....Why didn't she kick them out?

She wanted to portray herself friendly to the "free speech" group.....in effect she showed what a frggin wimp she is.....So if she can let people break up her lovefest, everyone else should let their meetings go the same route???? :confused:

RICHARD
02-01-2006, 06:53 PM
If you want a government that allows anything within the halls of government, try Taiwan.

DUDE!

It always starts with the "talk the talk"
Then heads into the full glass of water, which 'spills" into the "stapler toss" and "shoe slap" and my all time favorite the "flag pole bash"!!!

The only thing that irritates me is the "one camera" shot.....Poor camera man tries to catch all the action.-

But you have to admit.....when the dust clears and the the meeting is called they come back and try again!

Tawainese politics-And to think I waste time on the Ultimate Fighting Championship! :D :cool: :)

Edwina's Secretary
02-01-2006, 07:01 PM
You guys are so funny! Free speech as long as it is the speech you want to hear.

Outrage also came from the pro-war Young as well.

On Wednesday, he held up his wife's shirt on the House floor and denounced her treatment.

"She has a real passion for our troops, and she shows it in many, many ways," Young said.

"And most members in this House know that. But because she had on a shirt that someone didn't like, that said 'Support Our Troops,' she was kicked out of this gallery while the president was speaking and encouraging Americans to support our troops. Shame. Shame."

So what silly names will you call Mr. Young??????

Lady's Human
02-01-2006, 07:06 PM
I'm all for free speech, but there are responsibilities that go along with the rights in the Constitution that people have evidently forgotten. Say or wear whatever you want outside the Capitol building, but once inside I would expect some decorum (and yes, I also include VP Cheney in that as well).

Funny, ES, I don't remember calling anyone any names, funny or otherwise.

RICHARD
02-01-2006, 07:10 PM
So what silly names will you call Mr. Young??????

LH, leave the name calling to me!!

How does "stupid B with no brains" sound????

LOL, the woman with no decorum is with me!!!

Or will the women's right's flag get pulled up the pole?

Please,

Even I know that when I go to a hockey or baseball game that if a puck or ball flies out of the field and smites my ugly arse, it's my fault.

My worry is not FREEDOM OF SPEECH, it more behaving and showing respect for each other....

It's like going to a party and taking a dump on the floor.....

I want to protest the fact that you are cooking hamburgers and I am a vegan!

If people cannot or refuse to behave themselves for a few minutes we are doomed as a society.

Edwina's Secretary
02-01-2006, 07:38 PM
LH....touchy, touchy! :D

You will notice above a duly elected member of congress is called "Spineless One".....decorously of course!

RICHARD
02-02-2006, 11:12 AM
LH....touchy, touchy! :D

You will notice above a duly elected member of congress is called "Spineless One".....decorously of course!

That isn't calling her a name.....it's a descriptive term. You know, kinda like a pronoun. And I didn't vote for her- For all I know she stole the election.

----------------------------------------

I finally figured out who Dame Sheehan has reminded me of....ELLIE NESLER!

Google that!

And for the final parting shot.....

Whenenver someone does something stupid, against the law, or reckless and they do not want to admit/own up to/or take respnsibility for their actions they scream CIVIL RIGHTS! FREEDOM OF SPEECH! I HAVE BEEN VIOLATED!

ES, You probably don't remember the real civil rights movement.....I am alot older than you are.

Edwina's Secretary
02-02-2006, 11:23 AM
That isn't calling her a name.....it's a descriptive term. You know, kinda like a pronoun. And I didn't vote for her- For all I know she stole the election.

Whenenver someone does something stupid, against the law, or reckless and they do not want to admit/own up to/or take respnsibility for their actions they scream CIVIL RIGHTS! FREEDOM OF SPEECH! I HAVE BEEN VIOLATED!

ES, You probably don't remember the real civil rights movement.....I am alot older than you are.

RICHARD.... it looks to me like your first paragraph above is an example of....not taking responsibility for your actions..... :p :p You must feel violated.

Once again....
On Wednesday afternoon, U.S. Capitol Police Chief Terrance Gainer said neither woman should have been removed from the chamber. "We made a mistake," he told CNN.

I find people who complain about their "constitutional rights" far more offensive. The constitutional right to have babies, the constitutional right to .......

ANd RICHARD....flattery will get you nowhere. I am all too well aware of my age.... :D :D

RICHARD
02-02-2006, 11:41 AM
RICHARD.... it looks to me like your first paragraph above is an example of....not taking responsibility for your actions..... :p :p You must feel violated.

Once again....

I find people who complain about their "constitutional rights" far more offensive. The constitutional right to have babies, the constitutional right to .......

ANd RICHARD....flattery will get you nowhere. I am all too well aware of my age.... :D :D

I do take responsibility for calling them names....I am just doing it in a PC manner........You know how it is these days....we get away with what we can.

I have to go to work, so I can let those violations gather up in my pointed head...........I'll rant later on....

Flattery??

Don't cramp my freedom of speech. :D

caseysmom
02-02-2006, 11:50 AM
You all need to let this thread bump down because everytime I see it I picture the president with his pants down :eek:

RICHARD
02-02-2006, 12:50 PM
You all need to let this thread bump down because everytime I see it I picture the president with his pants down :eek:
Just pretend he's there to fix your plumbing! :D

caseysmom
02-02-2006, 01:14 PM
I don't know why but I was picturing the other side :o

RICHARD
02-02-2006, 03:50 PM
I don't know why but I was picturing the other side :o
not gonna touch that. :eek: ;) :confused:

lizbud
02-02-2006, 05:20 PM
not gonna touch that. :eek: ;) :confused:

I don't think there are enough magnifying glasses to go around
so, forget about it. :p

Lady's Human
02-02-2006, 05:31 PM
There's a fighter pilot joke in there, but even in the doghouse this should remain a mostly family show....LOL

lizbud
02-02-2006, 06:07 PM
There's a fighter pilot joke in there, but even in the doghouse this should remain a mostly family show....LOL

I thought about the fighter pilot outfit he wore, but ...... :D :D

RICHARD
02-02-2006, 07:24 PM
I feel this thread slowly spinning out of control. :D

caseysmom
02-02-2006, 08:40 PM
I don't think there are enough magnifying glasses to go around
so, forget about it. :p

I have on occasion critized this president but come on that is way out of line :D

lizbud
02-03-2006, 09:28 AM
I have on occasion critized this president but come on that is way out of line :D

My bad. :p