PDA

View Full Version : very sad leaving my cat

mollysmum
01-30-2006, 10:51 AM
Hi I am new to this website , we are going on vacation soon and I have to leave my lovely cat for five days I have never left her for so long and am really upset ,crying, feel so sad ,I have hired a petsitter with a a good reputation ,do you think my cat will be ok im scared in case she stops eating I know it sounds silly but she means the world to me will she be ok thanks so much

elizabethann
01-30-2006, 11:34 AM
Your kitty will be fine. I wouldn't worry. You could send her a postcard and ask the petsitter to read it to her....seriously. That might make you feel better.

I miss my kitties too when I go on vacation (and my dog as well). But they are always soooo happy to see me when I come back. And yes, I send them postcards. :o :D

Killearn Kitties
01-30-2006, 11:46 AM
I'm sure your cat will be absolutely fine with a reputable petsitter. :) I hate leaving my cats as well, but I know they have each other for company, which makes it a little better.

Last year, I went on holiday for a week and left my husband behind with the cats - that made it a lot better. I didn't worry about them a bit. I knew they would be perfectly happy with him, rather than someone else going in to feed them. :D

catmandu
01-30-2006, 11:51 AM
I left my Cats alone for 2 Days when I went on my First Vacation to Cooperstown,and when I came back they were fine!
Your Cat will miss you a bit,but absence does make the heart grow fonder.

Felix
01-30-2006, 12:19 PM
Your kitty will be fine.Maybe this will be a vacation for your kitty too,getting belly rubs,head scritches and loads of attention from a paid worker,kinda like us going to the spa ;)

Abby&Buddy'sMom
01-30-2006, 01:33 PM
Hello, Your kitty will be just fine while you gone. Just be sure to put down enough food and fresh clean water , and you might want to make up a few extra litter boxes , so they will be semi-clean and can still be used by kitty :)
We left Abby and Buddy alone for 6 days last summer (vacation :) ) and I was worried to pieces about them, but they were just fine :) I had put down several large bowls of food, I had previously bought a medium size auto-pet waterer and I had frozen the jug about 3/4 full, so that it could melt slowly over time to give them fresh cold water. I also Laid down a total of 5 large litter boxes so they had plenty of choices of where to go(I use the large size under-the-bed plastic crates). I dont think they did a thing while we were gone, as not even a toy was out of place,and Buddy was happy to see us when we got back, but Abby threw us an attitude, and wouldnt even look at me till the next day :eek: :D Also forgot to mention, please do not wear a collar on the kitty while you are gone, as she could hang herself on it :( .

moosmom
01-30-2006, 02:10 PM
Whenever I've kittysat, I've always made it a point to go and meet the cat/kitties so they won't think some stranger. I also get a tour of the place so I know where everything is. I'm SURE your cat will be just fine. I think you might get the cold kitty shoulder when you return, but they get over it.

Have a great time!

heidiv
01-30-2006, 04:51 PM
Your kitty will be fine. During the summer my husband and myself have left for our week vacation. Although very hard to do. I would call and leave messages for them on the phone so they could hear my voice. Silly I know but I could feel better. They have always been fine while we are gone. Could you find someone to stay at your house while you are away? I do that now. I have a ton of family members that just love to stay with the Kitty Kids. It is a hard thing to do. I find myself longing to get home before the vacation is over. I just have such a good time when they are around its not the same without them.

Craftlady
01-30-2006, 07:17 PM
I'm no help on this subject because we dont leave our gang of 4 alone for even 1 night.
Having no immediate family near by nor close enough friends that I would feel comfortable with having them stay in our house or stopping by couple times a day would not work for us. I would worry and be miserable and thats not a vacation. LOL
One of us (myself or hubby) is with the kids when the other is going to be gone if it's a day or for a few days.

I've watch others pets for neighbors at old apartment complex. 1 household did real well while they were gone. Howver, the other household the cats ate very little, barfed allot and cried until their owners got home.

Catty1
01-30-2006, 10:22 PM
I did a lot of pet visiting and sitting in other people's homes. Where there is more than one cat, they are fine.

You mentioned a petsitter is coming to your place. Please have her over to meet your kitties - and for you to meet her too! Then you will feel better.

It's like the kennel where I work, which is a GREAT place...when I go away later this spring, I will take my boys there...and I know I will STILL worry about them! It's part of being a meowmie.

hugs
Catty1

karlyb
01-30-2006, 10:51 PM
Kind of a long story.

Two years ago my sister and I went on a ten day trip. I had eight cats then and she brought her three cats to my house for our niece to come daily to feed them, change the litter box, and give one of my cats his meds. We called home a couple of times to check on the cats and my niece said that she had never seen all eleven cats at the same time but assumed they were all okay as food was being eaten and litter box used. When my sister and I returned home the cats were fine except we couldn't find one of her cats. We could hear him meowing for help and finally located him in the furnace ductwork! One of my cats (I knew exactly who the guilty party was) had taken the grill off a register vent and Sunshine had gone into the vent and apparently gotten lost in the ductwork. Thank heaven it was summer and the heat wasn't on! I screwed down all the register grills the next day.

So..........whatever your cat does while you're gone........it won't be that bad!

icedtea
01-31-2006, 02:05 AM
for the last 2 holidays ive een on, we've taken my new kitten seafa. we got her the day ebfore a holiday! anyway, our two old cats Kyte and monkee used to just be shut in the kitchen, the room with the cat flap and the neighbour with cats used to come and feed them. they were fine and monkee used to put her ears flat to show us she was glad when we got home. we didnt really worry about them much, as they didnt stray. they just did what the normally did but slept in the kitchen. they were outdoor/indoor cats,. cats are really safe in our neighbourhood. theres only been 1 road accident in about 5 or 6 or 7 years, and apart from that, theres just territorial disputes by neighbours cats (on OUR property) and it our cats were female and they didnt get involved, they were too smart!!

rosethecopycat
01-31-2006, 07:02 PM
What can reassure them is that you put out a T shirt or sweater of yours (worn, not washed) on their favorite place. They find your scent reassuring.

Another thing is, they really can't tell time.
My Bella has the same reaction to me whether I'm gone for 6 hours or 6 days.

They will fall right back into their routine with you as soon as your back.
Safe trip.