PDA

View Full Version : Dogs who lean

Karen
06-24-2000, 10:58 PM
Does your dog lean on you to show affection? The dogs my husband had growing up never did, but all of my family's dogs did! Do you think it's breed specific, or did my family just have peculiar dogs?

Redecr8r
06-25-2000, 04:14 PM
My dog will lean on us if we are sitting on the couch, sometimes even resting her head on us and looking up at us. She's too small to do it when we're standing. But, I used to babysit for a family who's Doberman would lean on you.

dogncatluvr
06-25-2000, 09:17 PM
My younger Lab, a 75lb. female will lean against any part of me that she can. She has fallen asleep in this position a few times. Her favorite, though, is "lap dog". Luckily she jumps in my lap only with her front paws, and leaves her back paws on the floor. She will then lean against me with her head and upper body until I hug and cuddle her!

------------------

silverann
06-26-2000, 12:30 PM
my dogs are to small to lean, however when im on the couch therre leaning on me or on my lap

------------------
sylvia alexander

Higgins
06-26-2000, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by Karen:
Does your dog lean on you to show affection? The dogs my husband had growing up never did, but all of my family's dogs did! Do you think it's breed specific, or did my family just have peculiar dogs? Yes! My dog leans on me every chance she gets. She's not a kissey kind of dog so I suppose this is how she tells me that she loves me.

Kira
06-26-2000, 11:59 PM
Oh God, yes...Galen is 70 pounds of leaner! He seems to think you want his face in yours, and if you're sitting on the futon, you are fair game!

Midas
06-27-2000, 10:02 AM
My "laprador" is always ready to lean on
me, he is forever on my lap on the couch,
all 100 pounds of him! But I wouldn't have it
any other way.

06-28-2000, 10:18 PM
Syren (R.I.P) was a 'laprador' I love that word now that's for using it http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif and at 95+ lbs thought he was a lap dog to my husband, and would lean every chance he got. Now the Bassets mainly Iggy will lean on my husband and Branda the female does it to me but mainly when I have food around only.

------------------
Please Help Me To Be Half The Human My Kritters Think I Am!

tsmom
07-02-2000, 01:15 PM
My late great Great Dane "Biggie" was a leaner-and this is apparently common to danes, it's something they need to be taught not to do if in a home with little kids or old folks, Biggie was a pound rescue and the first time he met my 3 year old neice he pinned her against the wall leaning and drowned her with kisses.

lhg0962
07-03-2000, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by Karen:
Does your dog lean on you to show affection? The dogs my husband had growing up never did, but all of my family's dogs did! Do you think it's breed specific, or did my family just have peculiar dogs?
I have had dogs all of my life and never until I acquired two female golden retrievers did I have a "leaner". Those girls just can't get close enough to me. It is usually worse after I have been away. I end up with Honey on one side and Lilly on the other, just pushing against my knees! Glad to know it happens to others too.

Starlite
07-07-2000, 02:46 PM
I have a lab/cocker spaniel mix and if I am sitting down he has to be in my lap. He is still just a puppy so he is small. When he gets sleepy he loves to be cradled in my arms.

learlaw
07-09-2000, 11:09 AM
If you talk to an animal behaviorist or read the book, Leader of the Pack, it tells you that leaning is not a sign of affection, but dominance. Depending on the size and temperment of your dog, it may be a behavior to discourage. Even the smallest dogs (Yorkies) can have a very strong desire to be the Alpha Dog. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/cool.gif Sherry

Karen
07-09-2000, 11:25 AM
The leaners my family had where all large dogs, but not at all aggressive, in fact we used to joke about one of them being a great watch dog - she'd watch the burgulars come in, watch them find the good stuff, then watch them leave! So in their cases, it was definitely affection, not dominance!

tsmom
07-09-2000, 03:06 PM
I agree with Karen-all of my leaner have been very gentle-submissive types inc my grate dane Biggie and my current rotty/bloodhound mix. At 5 1/2 yrs old I've never heard Tucker even growl. Judy

dogncatluvr
07-09-2000, 09:21 PM
My 75lb Lab's leaning is not dominance either. She is a big sweetheart, and wouldn't hurt a fly!

pookietoo
07-11-2000, 07:51 AM
I have an 85 pound golden retriever who thinks if he can't get your attention by leaning he will come up from behind you and cross in and out between your legs. And when you put him in the motor home he thinks he is suppose to sit on my lap on the front seat. I think it is an attention getter. But what a great thing to give your attention to.

daisydog3
07-16-2000, 05:39 PM
My family has a springer who loves to lean. It doesn't matter whether you're standing or sitting-he just wants to get as close to you as he can!!!My own dog, an English staff. bull terrier, also leans but only when someone is already petting her. My boyfriend's dog, a shepher/rottie/hound mix, leans to get you to pay attention to her. I don't think the behavior is breed specific-just specific to particularly "love-y" dogs.

buboso
07-21-2000, 11:09 PM
I have a labx that leans on me so much that when I walk away he falls over. I halfheartedly try to discourage him but I like the way he leans when standing or sitting next to me, looking up at my face with a goofy smile http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif

varnerjt
07-24-2000, 01:58 PM
Lord Yes, my dog loves to lean and lay on my ALL the time, and I'm not kidding, he is either leaning on me or laying on me no matter where i am at. In the bathroom, in the shower, on the couch, in bed, and the worst, in the car. It would be ok if he was a small dog, but he is a boxer-great dane mix.
Taffanie http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

Liradralyn
07-26-2000, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by daisydog3:
My family has a springer who loves to lean. It doesn't matter whether you're standing or sitting-he just wants to get as close to you as he can!!!My own dog, an English staff. bull terrier, also leans but only when someone is already petting her. My boyfriend's dog, a shepher/rottie/hound mix, leans to get you to pay attention to her. I don't think the behavior is breed specific-just specific to particularly "love-y" dogs.

My rottie leans also, mostly as an attention-getting strategy and because she's a huge suck. However I was also told that the leaning and pushing behaviour is partly instinctual in certain dogs who were bred for herding animals. I've noticed that my friend's Gordon setter gets nervous if people are too far apart (i.e. in different rooms of the house) and will try to "lean" on them to get them to move closer together.

blue_heeler
08-03-2000, 08:04 PM
My Australian Cattledog loves to lean on me! He will run up to me and lean on me. When I start petting him he will slowly slump or slide down my leg, roll on his back and plead for a belly rub. He loves his belly rubs.

http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gifRachel http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

karen israel
08-04-2000, 07:35 AM
Whew! Now I know that Cody isn't as weird as I thought! He will greet visitors for a pet and then IMMEDIATELY run back over to me, rub against my leg, look up at me as if to ask "is it ok that someone else petted me? I still love you!". I just think it's adorable , not an act of dominance, but if that's the case, I'm not going to enjoy it as much with that in mind, but will be disappointed if he stops!

DTB
08-10-2000, 11:09 AM
I have two Doberman's that lean when you pet them. The female is worse than the male, but they are both love bugs!! :) People haven't really minded, or at least they aren't saying anything. I think it's just their nature to get "more" attention.

MrsJBlue
08-10-2000, 10:33 PM
We have an Akita who leans occasionally, and also when we are sitting down she will turn her back to us and then sit on our feet! When her "daddy" (my husband) or I return home, Roxi sits on her haunches and lifts both paws up, waving them in the air at us and against us - to get some lovin', of course! Any time we have guests or strangers at the house, she always positions herself between the family and the "intruder" at all times, which a lot of dogs do, probably!

Alicej88
08-25-2000, 10:09 AM
Both my former pomeranian and my new one lean on me all the time. Rocky used to do that immediately when I came home from work. Sunshine does this all the time, when I'm in the kitchen cooking, she leans against my legs and also in the mornings, while drying my hair, she comes in, brings a toy and lies down behind me, leaning against the back of my legs. When sitting next to me on the couch, she leans right up against my arm, sometimes, putting her head on my shoulder.

------------------
Alice

amywhite
09-11-2000, 02:21 PM
Tobi, my year and 1/2 cocker spaniel leans when she rides on my lap in the car. She'll throw her head back into my neck area and it seems to be all about affection. It's like she is so happy to be riding around. It's sweet.

Sudilar
09-20-2000, 11:04 AM
My GSD, Shiloh, will sit at my feet, put her head on my knee and stare up (adoringly?) at me. She's not a leaner, though, because she can't lean with her tail wagging wildly!
Su

carrie
10-09-2000, 02:00 PM
Hello,
A couple of points some of you may be interested in;
Leaning can be a breed related trait. Great Danes, for instance, were bred as hunting dogs of large, bulky prey such as wild boar. These pigs were dangerous to hunt as they would often turn and fight. Great Danes, natural leaners were bred to intensify this trait and would bring down the boar by leaning against them at full speed.
Secondly some of you seem to think any mention of dominant behaviour means aggression, this most definitley is not the case. In very few cases is aggression linked with dominance. Very many of your dogs are however displaying dominance by leaning. It feels pleasant and yet the dog is getting reassurance on demand and preventing you from doing what you want to do, so who is controlling that situation? A dog that is showing dominance in this way may not be dominant in any other situation, but if any of you have dominance issues it may be food for thought

Shannon
10-19-2000, 07:13 PM
Carrie,
Your explanation of leaning as a dominant behavior was excellent. I completely agree with you. I have 3 dobes, 2 lean. The oldest is 12 and I let her lean all her life as I thought she was "insecure", now that I know I still let her lean she is old and the kindest dog in the world. The second dog is a middle aged dobe who I recently aquired. I discourage his leaning and make him sit for attention. My youngest dobe 7 months is a nudger not a leaner. This we are working at discouraging too.
Kudos for your excellent definition of dominance.
Cheers,
Shannon

carrie
10-20-2000, 02:36 AM
Hi,
Thanks that's very kind of you.
I know what a pain a nudger can be - cute for about five seconds! A friend of mine has an Irish Setter who constantly seeks attention this way at home. She loves the dogs behaviour and so I have stopped visiting them at home and only go out for walks with now as it drives me insane!!

KYS
10-20-2000, 06:08 PM
Very many of your dogs are however displaying dominance by leaning. It feels pleasant and yet the dog is getting reassurance on demand and preventing you from doing what you want to do, so who is controlling that situation? A dog that is showing dominance in this way may not be dominant in any other situation, but if any of you have dominance issues it may be food for thought.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Carrie I have a question for you.
When I am sitting on the lawn and my dogs are role playing, there is always
one of them trying to lean on me.
I always thought, that the dog who was leaning on me was a sign of strength
(confidence)
Like 2 against one?
The only other time I think they lean
is when there are strangers around/
or fireworks.
So I thought I was more of a security
in this case?

carrie
10-20-2000, 06:28 PM
Hi again,
Certainly, when your dog is feeling insecure and unsure of what action to take then his natural instinct is to look to the pack leader for direction. When a stranger enters your area your dog is checking out what he should do by what you do and gaining security and reassurance by the contact.
Excuse my ignorance, but I have never heard the term "role playing" applied to dogs before. Could you help me out a bit and explain it for me?

KYS
10-20-2000, 07:55 PM
Excuse my ignorance, but I have never heard the term "role playing" applied to dogs before. Could you help me out a bit and explain it for me?>>>>>>>

Sorry Carrie, I should have explained it. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/frown.gif
My male and female Akitas are constantly testing eachother when they play. (sort of role playing like wolves do in the wild)
They are very primitive in
there thinking/behavior.
When they are playing almost every move they
make means something to them.
I just wished I new how to read all that
body language like some of my friends do. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

KYS
10-20-2000, 07:55 PM
Excuse my ignorance, but I have never heard the term "role playing" applied to dogs before. Could you help me out a bit and explain it for me?>>>>>>>

Sorry Carrie, I should have explained it. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/frown.gif
My male and female Akitas are constantly testing eachother when they play. (sort of role playing like wolves do in the wild)
They are very primitive in
there thinking/behavior.
When they are playing almost every move they
make means something to them.
I just wished I new how to read all that
body language like some of my friends do. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

carrie
10-21-2000, 12:37 PM
Hi again,
O.k. without actually being able to see the dogs playing it is very hard to give you a definite answer but I would guess that you are right. It sounds like the dog leaning on you is ensuring it's own safety in the game knowing that the pack leader will not allow things to get out of hand. So essentially using you as safegaurd.

salliem
10-22-2000, 06:38 AM
I love to be leaned on. It makes me feel loved. My dog Sporty does it all the time. He always looks up at me with the beautiful eyes while doing it.

carrie
10-23-2000, 01:40 PM
I've just read through this lot and I make myself so mad sometimes. I don't express myself very well so I am here to eat humble pie and apologise to you all.
Leaning is not always a dominant behaviour as it looks like I was suggesting before.
Touch is very important for dogs, that's why they like being stroked. In the wild pack touching helps to strengthen bonds and the pack will often sleep curled up together, not just for warmth but for comfort and security too. Dogs have retained the need for physical contact as a pleasure and a way of communication. Sorry again for being so dim.

Mayissa
11-20-2000, 06:00 AM
I agree with Carrie on this one. I believe leaning is a sign of control and dominance, not necessarily aggression. The first time I noticed my black shepherd leaning was at dog obedience. It especially happens when he does not want to obey a command. I will tell him "sit", and finally he will but will lean on my legs as he sits. In this context it is a sure sign of dominance as I can tell he didnt want to listen to me but did reluctantly. Now that it is confirmed that leaning may mean dominance I will alter that behaviour. I found this leaning behaviour strange and now it makes sense.

Miranda_Rae
10-25-2004, 01:51 PM
When Heidi is being petting and she really loves it, and when a stranger is petting her she will lean on them. But that is basically the only time she will lean is when she is getting petted. :) My aunt said that its breed specific, like GSPs do it, but she thinks she knows everything. :rolleyes:

Tollers-n-Dobes
10-25-2004, 02:02 PM
All of my Rottweilers have done it:D Echo LOVES to lean on people:D

Becki
10-25-2004, 03:55 PM
I have two that lean and two that don't. My guys, though, don't just lean for the sake of leaning. Generally, it starts as me petting them and they lean into it. One of the leaners is very insecure during storms, fireworks, etc, and will stand next to me in all his quivering glory during one of those events. On occasions, he leans then, too.

I can see where it could be viewed as dominant behavior, but I don't feel it applies in our circumstances.

LorraineO
10-25-2004, 04:58 PM
LucyBelle will come over and back up until she is seated inbetween my legs when I am in a chair and lean against me that way ,, We call it PARKIN IT.. she will do it on command too,,,

Merlin just leans in until he gets my attention,, usually within a few secos... doesnt take long... I tend to lavish attention on my babies!!:)

Lady's Human
10-25-2004, 06:13 PM
Lady doesn't lean much, she just sits on my fot when she knows I have to go somewhere adn she can't come. It's her saying "Awww, come on, dad do ya have ta?"

*LabLoverKEB*
10-26-2004, 06:38 PM
Yes! Sadie is a big leaner! So is tred, (RB):( :( :( Na neighbor doggy, yellow labby, who was even a bigger leaner than my girl.:D

toiletduck
10-29-2004, 06:36 AM
My flatcoat retriever leans. I have also read that New Foundlands like to lean. I think it maybe a gundog trait.

Josh is definately not a dominant dog. We call him the moral standards dog. The type of dog who will sit outside in front of an open door and wait to be called in.

http://www.dogtrick.741.com/beg1.jpg

anna_66
10-29-2004, 08:12 AM
Well I can definately say that Angus was a leaner because he loved to do it:D I don't really care why he did it, I just loved that he loved to be so close to me!

Huney never does, and Roxey does occassionally if she is tired and just happens to be sitting by you and getting petted.
I do think that Bon is going to be a leaner too. We haven't had him quite long enough to see, but he has done it a couple of times when he was tired.

Very interesting thread, I'm glad you brought up this oldie Miranda_Rae:)

ParNone
10-29-2004, 09:45 AM
None of mine are leaners.

Maddie was a lap warmer.

Murph just comes and stands beside ya, doesn't really lean though.

Oz is a butt parker. If you're laying down, he comes and parks his butt on you and wiggles it against you, until and while you scratch it. But if you're sitting or standing he just backs it into ya, to scratch it.

Gully is a leg tweener. He comes and runs right in between your legs and stops about halfway through, so his butt is in the perfect position to scratch. Collies must have really itchy butts. ;)

Par...

cyber-sibes
10-29-2004, 09:36 PM
Rosie (part Rott) was always a leaner, and she would often put her foot on top of mine while leaning. I always like it (she was very touch-oriented), but she seemed to lean harder when Star was around. A trainer told me Rosie did this to let Star know that Rosie was "claiming"me, kind of like resource-guarding. The trainer thought we should discourage it. However, after Rosie died, Star took on several "Rosie" behaviors, including leaning on us, which she never did in all her 7 years! so, I'm not sure what THAT means, except that it seemed like Star took comfort in emulating her lost friend's little quirks.

senorita02
11-02-2004, 08:50 PM
Face isnt a leaner , if he wants your attention he will just run and hit you with his big head until u give it to him.
Rita on the other hand is a BIG leaner, always pushing against you, she is quite big & heavy too, heavier than me so she will knock me down, its so cute though.

wolf_Q
11-02-2004, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by ParNone

Oz is a butt parker. If you're laying down, he comes and parks his butt on you and wiggles it against you, until and while you scratch it. But if you're sitting or standing he just backs it into ya, to scratch it.

Gully is a leg tweener. He comes and runs right in between your legs and stops about halfway through, so his butt is in the perfect position to scratch. Collies must have really itchy butts. ;)

Par...

LOL You have just perfectly described both Reggie and Nebo. ;) Reggie is a "butt parker" (he'll even go up to the stairs and rub his butt against them if he has an itch). And Nebo is a "leg tweener." Isn't it funny how dogs just love the base of their tail scratched?

As far as leaning goes, I don't think any of my dogs really do that much.

Cincy'sMom
11-06-2004, 02:57 PM
Sadie is a leaner for sure...she'll lean into you and knock you over!! She also likes to lean in to you when sitting on the couch.

Cincy is a lap sitter. She'll jump up on the couch and sit in your lap, or as soon as I sit on the floor, she is in my lap. She'll also back up to anyone for a butt scratch.

Spot is a combo...he is leaner, but also a lay on top of. He'll start on the couch, leaning into you. Next thing you know he is laying across your lap!

lbaker
11-06-2004, 03:12 PM
What fun to re-visit some of these old threads! Karen, as you and Paul and some others have seen, Badger is a rubber, a leaner, a between the legger, and a belly-upper for tummy rubs :D All my others are too. It's just a touchy thing I think. When the youngster Thunder wakes up next to me in bed in the morning he and I just lay there and I talk to him and he paws and leans (while laying down) against me and I just swoon over the love I see in his blue, blue eyes (he takes after his dear mother CheekyBitch) (RB)

cyber-sibes
11-07-2004, 11:05 AM
Just reading thrugh this old thread too. Re-read Face butts you with his big head...remembering how Rosie would curl up next to you and nudge under your elbow with her muzzel until, next thing you knew, your arm was around her and she could put her head in your lap. Then, she's slide her paw over your leg, and pretty soon you'd have a 65-lb. lap dog on you!

lbaker
11-07-2004, 12:44 PM
That's exactly it Cyber-sibes, the face-butts, the under the elbow thing, the paw over the leg. Showing who is boss? I don't think so, it's just plain and simple love from them to us. If you don't get it, you don't get it. Some of us do and are thankful for it :cool:

Cazi
11-20-2004, 05:02 PM
Amber has a very unlady like habit of plonking her backside on your foot whilst you are sat on the sofa. Once she has plonked her backside on your foot, she leans on it so you have all her weight.:rolleyes: