PDA

View Full Version : Chinese year of the dog article

beeniesmom
01-29-2006, 09:53 AM
Read this discovery.com article about a custom/cultural characteristic of some chinese people.

http://animal.discovery.com/news/afp/20060123/canines.html

vinjashira
01-29-2006, 12:01 PM
that article is NOT about how the chinese celebrate chinese new year

elizabethann
01-29-2006, 06:20 PM
Yep, they eat dogs. I just read an article that some people are trying to protest and ban the Chinese olympics in Bejieng (spelling?). I also just read that even though it's the Year of the Dog, many Chinese are still new to owning dogs and don't realize how hard it is to take care of them. Many are simply abandoning them on the streets where they may die or they may be caught and then cooked for a meal.

Jessika
01-29-2006, 06:25 PM
It's a part of their culture. I mean, we eat cows and to others they're a sacred animal.. its just their culture. But I don't think the article is about HOW they celebrate it :o

.sarah
01-29-2006, 06:33 PM
It's a part of their culture. I mean, we eat cows and to others they're a sacred animal.
Thank you. People can be so hypocritical on this subject.

That's not directed at you, Carmen, just a general statement.

beeniesmom
01-29-2006, 06:50 PM
Sorry if I offended anyone with this post. :(
I know that it is a cultural thing.
I will correct my first post.

CathyBogart
01-29-2006, 09:54 PM
How is dogs suffering before slaughter any worse than cattle suffering before slaughter? Really, we put some animals up on a pedestal above others, and we ignore the horrors that go on in our own country so that we can point somewhere else and go "Look what they're doing to their animals!" Is a dog's life somehow worth more than a cow's? Not in my mind.

elizabethann
01-30-2006, 07:32 AM
Wow. Interesting responses.

beeniesmom
01-30-2006, 08:43 AM
Wow. Interesting responses.

I have no words.
Had I known that this was going to turn ugly, I wouldn't have posted this.

I hope it is clear that I think NO animal deserves to suffer.

However, IMO, a cow is not equal to a dog.
I do think it's wrong to compare species that are generally referred to as "livestock" to dogs and cats.
I've never heard of a cow as being a household pet.

Now really, is it SO STRANGE that I find it horrid that other cultures would eat my dogs?

I am aware that every culture has it's differences, but I don't think it is unrealistic of me to be horrified after reading the article.

elizabethann
01-30-2006, 12:15 PM
Now really, is it SO STRANGE that I find it horrid that other cultures would eat my dogs?

I am aware that every culture has it's differences, but I don't think it is unrealistic of me to be horrified after reading the article.

Well said. You took the words right out of my mouth.

CathyBogart
01-30-2006, 03:43 PM
It is horrifying what happens to animals in slaughterhouses - any animals.

Cattle make wonderful pets. Perhaps not household pets because of their size, but they are loving and loyal and intelligent. So are sheep (well, maybe not so intelligent, but I loved my sheep, and he loved me!)

To me, it's just as awful to hear of cattle dying in horrible conditions as it is to hear of dogs dying in horrible conditions. How is what they are doing any worse than what we are doing to our cattle?

Why is a cow not equal to a dog? Do the cattle suffer any less just because they are cattle?

I just can't wrap my head around assigning more value to one species than another.

lizbud
01-30-2006, 05:11 PM

I understand what you are saying. I too was horrified to learn of
this happening.Nobody I know thinks that cruelity is o.k. for any animal.

I thought the post was to show the irony of "year of the dog" and
people eating dogs.

beeniesmom
01-31-2006, 08:23 AM
I understand what you are saying. I too was horrified to learn of
this happening.Nobody I know thinks that cruelity is o.k. for any animal.

I thought the post was to show the irony of "year of the dog" and
people eating dogs.

it was