PDA

View Full Version : Got my wedding dress today

popcornbird
01-29-2006, 02:13 AM
Hello fellow PT'ers. ;) Its been so long since I've started a thread around here. I've just been SO busy with the coming change in my life. Things have been wonderful around here lately. If you remember my previous thread, I announced my wedding and that I got married legally in November, but won't be having my wedding party/starting life with my husband until summer, when he completes his education in Massachusetts and moves here (hoping he's able to get a good job in California). He spent 2 1/2 weeks of his winter break here with us. It was such a joy to be able to spend this time with him. They were definitely the best days of my life so far. I can't possibly express how much I love him, and what a great blessing he has been in my life so far. It was so painful to see him leave last Monday :(, but hopefully we will be together again soon.

Anyhow, just wanted to tell you all about my special day today. ;) My mom and I went 'bridal dress shopping' with a close friend, her daughters, and son's fiancee this morning. We had planned on just going to 'look', but ended up falling in love with a dress there, and couldn't leave without it. The moment I saw it, I knew it was the one I wanted for my special day. I tried it on and it was just so perfect and beautiful. We spent many hours going store to store, trying on different dresses, but there was something about THAT dress. It just had to be mine. I loved it the moment I saw it. I must comment on how surprised I was at the WEIGHT of some bridal dresses. My gosh...some of them must weigh 50 pounds! LOL! Okay, I'm exaggerating, but some of those dresses were HEAVY. The one I got is lovely...has gorgeous beaded work and lovely embroidery all over it, but it isn't so heavy, weight-wise, that it would be uncomfortable. I'm just so excited over this. The wedding party isn't until summer (most likely), but the dress seemed perfect, so even though it might be a little 'early', we had to buy it.

I don't know what the point of this thread is, but I'm just thrilled and happy, and wanted to share my excitement with you all. :D

Maya & Inka's mommy
01-29-2006, 03:28 AM
Aw Poppy, what a happy woman you are!! I am so glad you found "the right" dress! I know what you mean by that! When I was looking for my own dress, I also fell in love with tat one dress. I tried on lots of other dresses, but no use: it had to be THAT one!
CONGRATS to you again!! I hope to see you mre on PT if possible. You are such a sweet person!!

Anddddd, may we have a peek on that lovely dress :D :p ;)

Barbara
01-29-2006, 05:05 AM
Hi Popocornbird, nice to see you back. And so glad to see you're happy :)

That dress: is it a white one like occidental wedding dresses or different?
Maybe you could post a picture of the dress (we know we won't get to see you in it ;)) AFTER the wedding?

I've never married in white but I love the dresses :D

jenluckenbach
01-29-2006, 06:29 AM
HEY Pops!! Great to hear from you. Glad things are so wonderful for you. :)

I never went to a bridal shop to try on dresses (I sewed my own), so I found it extremely interesting that they were so heavy. I never knew that. :eek: See how you learn something new every day? ;)

Hope you don't keep yourself so busy that you don't have time for PT.

Alysser
01-29-2006, 07:19 AM
That's great! I am sure it's VERY pretty/. :D

Karen
01-29-2006, 08:43 AM
How exciting! Good to hear from you, and of course dress pictures if you get a chance ...

moosmom
01-29-2006, 09:34 AM
There's a certain feeling a woman gets when she finds THE perfect dress. I'm so excited for you!! ((((((((HUGS))))))))))

popcornbird
01-29-2006, 11:08 AM
Hi Popocornbird, nice to see you back. And so glad to see you're happy :)

That dress: is it a white one like occidental wedding dresses or different?
Maybe you could post a picture of the dress (we know we won't get to see you in it ;)) AFTER the wedding?

I've never married in white but I love the dresses :D

I did go to see the white dresses, but they were just so heavy, I decided I couldn't wear them. I don't think I want to feel uncomfortable wearing my wedding dress. :o They were BEAUTIFUL, but just SO heavy. I ended up getting a Pakistani style wedding dress. The ones at that store were very heavy too...especially the silk ones. The newest styles are actually somewhat similar to the white dresses, though Pakistani bridal dresses usually aren't white. Traditionally its red, but nowadays, people wear different colors. I personally don't like 'red'...it is way too bright. My dress is a maroon-ish shade...not exactly maroon, but that's the best way I can describe the color in words. The beaded work/embroidery could be described as golden in color. Its 3 pieces...a long skirt, top, and the bridal veil. My mom put it away for now, but perhaps I can get a picture later on to show you (without me in it...he he he). Its so pretty, and thankfully, not as HEAVY as the other dresses. :o I don't think I'm the type of girl who could wear something that heavy. LOL

Kfamr
01-29-2006, 11:36 AM
Your dress sounds very pretty and I'm glad you're so happy with it.
I hope everything is well in the Popcornbird household!

Kay

primabella
01-29-2006, 11:39 AM
PCB! Your wedding dress sounds really beautiful. I'd love to see some pictures. My friends wore Pakistani-style prom dresses and they were really pretty.

Keep in touch, I want to hear from you before your big day. ;)

Edwina's Secretary
01-29-2006, 11:49 AM
PCB! How good to hear from you. Your dress sounds wonderful and I too hope to see pics of it. I wore my mother's wedding dress and one of the things I liked about it was that it was easy to wear....not heavy, not tight...nothing to worry about when you know people are looking at you!

CathyBogart
01-29-2006, 12:57 PM
It sounds beautiful, and I'm so happy for you!! I would really love to see a picture of the dress if you can! :)

luvofallhorses
01-29-2006, 01:09 PM
that's wonderful! :) It sure sounds very pretty! :)

Barbara
01-29-2006, 04:02 PM
It sounds wonderful. Is it a long top over the skirt (like "Khamiz"- or how do you write it?) :)

popcornbird
01-29-2006, 06:42 PM
It sounds wonderful. Is it a long top over the skirt (like "Khamiz"- or how do you write it?) :)

Nope. The top ends at around the waist...maybe a 'little' below that. A Kameez goes all the way down past the knees and is worn with pants, called a 'shalwar'. The outfit that I'll be wearing is called a 'lenga', and is usually worn by brides, though they also have more simple ones for any special occasion. I will 'try' to get a picture, but I'm not sure how I could hang such a dress to get a proper shot. :p

captain
01-29-2006, 08:57 PM
PCB!!!

WOW - I must have missed that thread
CONGRATULATIONS ............ soooooooo happy for you :D

Glad everything is going well.
*skrtiches* to the lovely birdies .....

Vermontcat
01-29-2006, 09:33 PM
It's nice to hear from you again Popcornbird.
I'm so happy that you found your perfect wedding dress. :)

ramanth
01-30-2006, 10:30 AM
Congrats! I know what you mean about heavy dresses. I didn't want a large cathedral train either so ended up picking a dress with a small train. :)

Barbara
01-30-2006, 10:50 AM
I know the shalwar/kameez dresses (and I'd love to wear them as I think they are very flattering) and I'll look up lenga in Google :)

Actually I did it right now (looking up lenga and then adding pakistani) and found some lenga at ebay :)

Ginger's Mom
01-30-2006, 11:15 AM
Oh Poppy, your post put a huge smile on my face. I am so glad that you have found the perfect dress. I, too, would like to see pictures of it, if convenient. I am sure it is beautiful. :)

Logan
01-30-2006, 11:35 AM
:) :) :) I am so happy that you found the perfect wedding attire, my friend!!!!!!

Cataholic
01-30-2006, 12:23 PM
I don't believe you even BOUGHT a dress!!! (he he he...maybe by daring her we will get a picture sooner!!!) :D

Come on...take alot of pics, hang it from anywhere! We just want to see it!!!

popcornbird
02-01-2006, 02:34 AM
I don't believe you even BOUGHT a dress!!! (he he he...maybe by daring her we will get a picture sooner!!!) :D

Come on...take alot of pics, hang it from anywhere! We just want to see it!!!

I DID buy a dress. :p He he he.

I tried my best to get a picture...put the dress on the bed and took some shots. One of them turned out 'okay'. I took the background out on photoshop. It has a matching bridal veil with it, which is not in the picture. Anyhow, here it is. :D The shape of the dress doesn't look right because of the way its lying on the bed, but this is the best I could do. Its not easy to take proper pictures of heavy clothes that you can't hang. :o

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v51/popcornbird/5563e446.jpg

The beaded work on the skirt...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v51/popcornbird/d5c6e29b.jpg

Barbara
02-01-2006, 02:51 AM
Aaaawwwww! It is a dream- just like I imagined! I am sure you will be incredibly beautiful in it :)

Maya & Inka's mommy
02-01-2006, 03:03 AM
**** FAINTED ****

Oh my, Poppy, what a sensational beautiful absolutely romantic dress!!! I am sure you look absolutely gorgeous in it!! Wow, never seen something special like this!!

Oh, did your future hubby see it? Or is it the same tradition like here that the groom is NOT supposed to see the dress before the wedding?

kimboe
02-01-2006, 03:40 AM
Wow, That is a very pretty dress. Love the color, it's so rich. And the bead work is stunning.
Congrats to you! :)

Karen
02-01-2006, 07:30 AM
Wow! It is gorgeous! No wonder you saw it and said - that's the one! :D

Have Popcorn and Muffin seen it? What do they think? :)

Killearn Kitties
02-01-2006, 07:53 AM
That's a magnificent dress. :D It is going to look gorgeous on!

Cataholic
02-01-2006, 08:41 AM
WAH! That is beautiful!! Keep the tiels away..they might like to "help" with the beadwork! :eek:

ramanth
02-01-2006, 09:58 AM
What a stunning dress. :D

Edwina's Secretary
02-01-2006, 10:43 AM
Oh my, oh my! WOW! Simply Spectacular!

BitsyNaceyDog
02-01-2006, 11:15 AM
Wow, it's beautiful!!!

Vela
02-01-2006, 12:26 PM
That is a gorgeous dress. Glad you found one you absolutely loved, will make the day you get to celebrate even more special. Hope the time passes quickly for you both.

Uabassoon
02-01-2006, 12:36 PM
It's beautiful! I'm so excited for you :D

cavylove
02-01-2006, 12:42 PM
i hope you have a great day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 :D :D :D :D

Ginger's Mom
02-01-2006, 12:55 PM
It really is a beautiful dress, I am sure you will look absolutely stunning.

Sara luvs her Tinky
02-02-2006, 07:04 AM
oh your dress is so BEAUTIFUL

Even though... i've never seen you... I JUST KNOW you are gonna make the most beautiful bride. ....

You sound so excited... enjoy this special time... and I really wish you the best..... :D

Logan
02-02-2006, 08:05 AM
Popcornbird, it is just beautiful!!!!! :) I agree with Johanna, though, keep Popcorn and Muffin away from those beads! They would have a marvelous time picking them off! LOL!!!! :D

popcornbird
02-02-2006, 01:04 PM
Thanks so much everyone. :D The tiels DID see it, but I quickly realized its NOT a good idea to allow them anywhere near it. They'd have a wonderful time ripping the beads off and destroying it. :eek: Sorry tiels...your help is not needed at this time. ;)

Hubby cannot see it ahead of time. I did tell him I got a dress, and he was like, "Ooooooh, send me a picture!!!" I told him he has to wait until the big day. Don't want to ruin the surprise. :D

caseysmom
02-02-2006, 01:13 PM
Its really pretty pcb, its considered bad luck here for the groom to see the bride's dress before the wedding. Although my hubby was with me when I found "the one" and we have lasted 24 years so what the heck. We also have to wear something borrowed, something blue and what the other one???

AmberLee
02-06-2006, 02:06 AM
It's gorgeous! Congrats on finding one that is so YOU so quickly! I'm so pleased for you.

RobiLee
02-06-2006, 02:35 AM
OMG....I almost missed this!

Wow, Poppy! Your dress is beautiful. I absolutely love it. I know you are going to look stunning in it. I wish I could be there to see you in it. Hmm, do you think you could post pictures of that;)

It beautiful, Poppy, just beautiful!

Anita Cholaine
02-06-2006, 08:49 AM
It's sooo beautiful.... I'm sure that you will looks gorgeous in it... Congratulations!!! :D