PDA

View Full Version : Advantage pesticide for rabbits, too.

Sandy McCarren
04-12-2002, 03:56 PM
I recently took one of my rabbits to a vet who confirmed fleas. As such I learned that a product is out there on the market called Advantage. It is a pesticide so always use with caution! Anyway, this Advantage is normally used for cats and dogs but here is what I found out: Advantage can be applied to rabbits ONLY in the dose recommended for kittens, which is contained on the package label. Always apply this dose on the back of the neck in proportion to the shoulders of the rabbit. This prevents licking of the pesticide by the rabbit, which will irritate the rabbit. Make 100% sure that you get the medicine to come into direct contact with the skin or it won't work. Advantage is available only through a prescription from your veternarian. In approximately 12 hours (at the soonest) fleas will be killed which includes the eggs). This will last 4 weeks before you must apply the Advantage again. Fleas can kill but so can the Advantage if not applied to the rabbit EXACTLY AS DIRECTED. And this Advantage works extremely...extremely...well.
Have a cozy day!

luckies4me
04-12-2002, 04:05 PM
I am a vet tech and would just like to make a comment. You can buy Advantage at other places besides the vet. It could be found at practically all chain pet stores and it can last longer than 4 weeks. You also can split one tube on two cats or buy a dog one and use that for four cats. That will save you a lot of money in the end. Also whenever you use this product you must wash your hands. If your pet accidently licks the product it shouldn't couse any harm. Also I would not reccommend using Advantage on rabbits and using it on ferrets can kill them. I would suggest using a flea shampoo and then an herbal flea collar, or just keep your rabbit indoors. They are easily potty trained to a litter box. Do not use clumping litter however as it can stick to the penis and cause problems.

Heather Wallace
04-12-2002, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by luckies4me
I would suggest using a flea shampoo and then an herbal flea collar .

Yes I would agree with to, I think advantage would be far to dangerous for Buns, I have bought Advantage for my cats but ONLY with the guidance of a vet (Only available from vets in the UK). My cats have always been weighed before hand too. I have read in a bunny mag that they have good shampoos for that sort of thing, herbal.

Oh welcome you two, nice to see some mpre Bunny people around here, there is only a few at the moment but we are growing in numbers. Tell us all about your pets and post pics etc.

Sandy McCarren
04-12-2002, 04:55 PM
The responses I have so far received are just great because I want to welcome input on this Advantage since I am so new to it and I informed only to what would not endanger, as I believe. My beloved bunnies are indoor rabbits and live extraordinarily well because I love them so dearly and, so saying, I knew the risks but I also opted for the very best remedy for fleas. I take my bunnies to a rabbit-savvy vet who recommended the Advantage but does not stock it as the norm!! So I thought that was odd until they explained the bulk rate they are REQUIRED to buy at a time at about $600 per box!! Well, the scrip ended up being re-routed through a vet's office that does stock this product. Anyway, rabbits are exotic [and I know you know this] which makes it different than keeping the more domestic dogs/cats, etc. so I really have to go with what's workable and my rabbits have responded incredibly well to Advantage. The dosage just needs to be very, very minimal and I should correct one mistake I realize I made in my first post. The dose for rabbits is half the dose for kittens. I wholeheartedly apologize for that!

Heather Wallace
04-12-2002, 05:01 PM
No problem Sandy, glad you brought up the subject, it is something that most of us would probably have no thought about.

I am glad for any advice from people and glad there is more people posting about subjects that concern our dear Bunnies.

cant wait to see your guys.

Daisylover
04-15-2002, 10:25 AM
Seriously, how can house rabbits get fleas? Or did they get them from another pet living in the same house?

Heather Wallace
04-15-2002, 03:18 PM
I think fleas are just in the air, when my cats where house cats they still got fleas in the summer.