PDA

View Full Version : Looking For Purebred Online???

lizbud
01-28-2006, 10:02 AM
There are those who will not look for dogs at a shelter, but are drawn
to the internet in their search for a purebred dog. Beware, a fancy website
doesn't mean anything. Check out this kennel in Indiana.

German Shepherd Seller Keeps Dogs In Questionable Conditions

POSTED: 6:43 am EST January 28, 2006
UPDATED: 7:30 am EST January 28, 2006

ARCADIA, Ind. -- A woman selling German shepherd dogs in Hamilton County is under scrutiny because of the conditions some people say the dogs live in.

The owner of Raebark German Shepherds, Rachel Clark, would not allow Call 6 on the property and would not talk with Call 6's Rafael Sanchez on camera, but a potential buyer took pictures of the property.

Monty Mosby drove to the kennel Tuesday after reading an ad in the Indianapolis Star offering puppies for $500 or less. He found a vacant home, an unlocked door and puppies and dogs in the dark.

"The conditions were horrible. They were in their own filth," Mosby claimed. "There were two pens with 15 to 20 dogs -- no food, no water. The puppy was sitting in the bowl that water should have been in."

Clark runs a business on the Internet at www.raebark.com, where German shepherds of all ages are up for sale.

Clark also uses a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine title on the site, leading potential dog buyers to believe she is a licensed veterinarian. Cindy Vaught, of the Indiana Veterinary Board, told Call 6 that Clark's license had been suspended in 2003.

County, state and federal investigators have been watching Clark's business since 1996. Often, they found the dogs in good shape, but their surroundings questionable.

Melody Miller, who runs German Shepherd Rescue of Central Indiana, worries about the future of the animals.

"Phone calls keep coming in asking me to help. I'm a rescue. I can't shut her down," Miller said. I come in afterwards and clean up the mess."

The animals received another visit from a Hamilton County officer on Thursday. He cited the owner for cruelty, abuse, neglect and abandonment.

Clark did get her degree in veterinary medicine from Purdue University. She told Sanchez she is working on making improvements on the property. Clark also said the animals have plenty of food and water.

There are no state standards on the operation of kennels, Sanchez reported.

Copyright 2006 by TheIndyChannel.com All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

JenBKR
01-28-2006, 10:09 AM
Oh how awful :( Those poor animals. That just makes me sick, she is obviously only out for profit and doesn't care about the dogs :mad:

Pembroke_Corgi
01-28-2006, 10:56 AM
That's very sad. Her website is certainly misleading... check out what she says about her policies....http://www.raebark.com/aboutme.html

She claims she is a vet, among other things (but of course she doesn't mention her liscense has been suspended)

KYS
01-28-2006, 11:25 AM
lizbud,
Good point.

As we can see from your post not only responsible breeders
use the internet so do a lot of bad apples too.

Suggestions to weed out bad breeders:

1: contact the local breed clubs, reputable breed rescues and join a
large breed pacific e-mail list. You will soon learn who are the reputable breeders are.
You can also attend local dog shows to talk to varies breeders, but
still do the above.

lizbud
01-28-2006, 04:15 PM
lizbud,
Good point.

As we can see from your post not only responsible breeders
use the internet so do a lot of bad apples too.

Suggestions to weed out bad breeders:

1: contact the local breed clubs, reputable breed rescues and join a
large breed pacific e-mail list. You will soon learn who are the reputable breeders are.
You can also attend local dog shows to talk to varies breeders, but
still do the above.

The TV station did show video of the dogs in the outdoor kennels.
It was enough to make a GSD lover cry. :(

BC_MoM
01-28-2006, 04:37 PM
Apparently this GSD looks physically sound.....he looks horrible, IMO.

http://www.raebark.com/pups/Freighter%20x%20Hatchett%20tan%20sable%20girl%20st acked1.JPG

Jessika
01-28-2006, 04:41 PM
Apparently this GSD looks physically sound.....he looks horrible, IMO.

He looks really underweight and like he has hair/skin problems. :o Then again I'm not expert on GSDs so I could be wrong

LuvGold00
01-28-2006, 05:01 PM
He looks really underweight and like he has hair/skin problems. :o Then again I'm not expert on GSDs so I could be wrong

I agree, and her website didn't look to reputable to me, no titles on her dogs, and the dogs don't look like they are in very good condition in general.

lute
01-28-2006, 05:47 PM
OMG! that's terrible! i'm glad that someone is doing something about this. not just letting it ahppen like it's nothing.