PDA

View Full Version : How did you decide - male or female?

Randi
04-12-2002, 12:06 PM
How did you decide which sex you wanted, when you got your cat? Was it pure chance, like with us, when we got Fister from our backyard? Or did you have a reason for choosing one or the other? :)

Former User
04-12-2002, 12:13 PM
LOL, we coulnd't decide so we took one of each!
No, we just wanted 2 cats, and had the idea of having male and female.

momoffuzzyfaces
04-12-2002, 12:16 PM
It's just pure chance with me. I've had both. It's just a question of who shows up needing a home when I have a vacancy. I love them all.:D

Randi
04-12-2002, 12:44 PM
momoffuzzyfaces! Great to hear that! I feel the same way! :)

AmberLee
04-12-2002, 01:50 PM
When I got Cassy and Sassy all I cared was that they were good companions for each other ...

Must admit though, I had so many positive experiences with male cats over the years as bright, loving companions that I was not displeased that C&S were both male. It has been a pleasant surprise to learn from Livvy that these traits are not restricted in cats.

Lachesis
04-12-2002, 01:59 PM
Totally pure chance. We didnt even Milo was a girl until last week LOL. I assumed she was but... I wasnt 100% sure. We thought she was a he when we named her :D hence the name Milo

NoahsMommy
04-12-2002, 02:19 PM
This may sound bad...but I wanted a boy becuase I had heard they were more loving and didn't have too much of a "Cat Attitude". Now...let me defend myself...I HATED cats before I married my husband and then I woke up and saw the light...but I still got a cute boy! :)

Noel was just by chance, we got her at PetSmart Life Rescue and I absolutly fell in love...

Heather Wallace
04-12-2002, 02:28 PM
I didn't really get the choice, I wanted a kitten and this lady told me she had some kittens.

I had heard about Max from a lady who was a volunteer for the Cats Protection League, I thought it would have been a good idea for me to get another male.

Efrat
04-12-2002, 02:35 PM
I didn't really care, I just wanted cats in the house, Ilan wanted males as he has 2 male siamese as a child... so we took males only... maybe the next 2 will be femals :)

tuxluvr
04-12-2002, 04:42 PM
Efrat, I just LOVE your kitty cam! I went in just now and laughed because it was this big grey kitty ..uh..."backside" staring back at me.....guessing it was Tsoomi paying his "true respect" for the camera :D:D:D

As to gender choice, my cats have generally chosen me, not the other way around - I've had both - about the only comment I can make is that the girl kitties I didn't have the spraying problem with, but know that isn't always the case either.

I do think males have a tendency to be more "lovey"...but I adore Ritz, attitude and all :)

yorkster
04-12-2002, 05:32 PM
well, for the most part it has just been whatever I ended up with........male, female, no matter. :)
I have noticed though that the males I have had, are usually a little more lovey, and also a bit more easy going.
Therefore when we decided to get a Maine Coon (the only non-rescue cat I have ever had), we decided on a male.
Now I have 2 males who are very affectionate and calm. They are even more affectionate with each other than what I've seen females be.

For the most part though, I don't really care one way or the other. I had a female cat when I was a kid, and she was an awesome cat! Used to let me dress her up in doll clothes, and wheel her around in a baby buggy.

So who knows? It is probaly more personality and their early experience with humans.

Lachesis
04-12-2002, 07:03 PM
My sister said males are more lovey too but to be honest I couldnt tell you which is more lovey out of the 3 :D

yorkster
04-12-2002, 10:18 PM
How old are your 3 kitties now? I know my youngest (1 yr.) is more interested in playing and getting into mischief right now. He is a people- cat, but for short periods, then he has to run off and be a kitten! :D :rolleyes:

krazyaboutkatz
04-13-2002, 12:10 AM
When I was looking for a cat I didn't really care which sex it was. My first cat Storm decided to pick me. I was at the Humane Society and I didn't even notice him until he stuck his paw out at me. He's been such a great cat that I got two more male cats. It is true that males are more lovey than females. They are also big babies.:D I love it.:)

Lachesis
04-13-2002, 12:19 PM
Max, Milo and Pepper are all 12 weeks this week. Im not sure what day they were born on but I picked Jan 16th (b/c it was that week sometime), it's my dad's birthday LOL

Randi
04-13-2002, 01:56 PM
Lachesis! And that was the day I joyned PT! ;)

I've never had a female cat, so I couldn't say either. I only know that Fisters's mum was pretty tough!! she would go stand between another cat and a visious looking dog. :D