PDA

View Full Version : No Lap Dog

jackiesdaisy1935
01-08-2001, 08:44 PM
We have a little black mini schnauzer that we got from a breeder here in San Diego County, she was the last puppie and we fell in love with her right then. However the breeder had two little girls who carried her everywhere and would not put her down. I had to ask them to put her down so we could see if she could walk. We took her home and she
would not go to us, she would bite us if we tried to pick her up, and would hide under the coffee table. It has taken us two years to gain her trust ( by letting her come to us when she was ready) Now she will let us pick her up, just for a little while, she comes to us but it was an uphill battle. She seems fully adjusted right now and a sweetheart. Has anyone else had this problem?

RachelJ
01-09-2001, 09:11 AM
My Hannah was a problem puppy from day one. With her as well, it took two years to overcome the many problems she presented. But the happy ending was worth it. That is why people here will hear me preach about patience, determination, work, educating oneself, love, and more patience. I am so glad you did not give up on your puppy. I know how frustrated you probably were so many times.

jackiesdaisy1935
01-09-2001, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by RachelJ:
My Hannah was a problem puppy from day one. With her as well, it took two years to overcome the many problems she presented. But the happy ending was worth it. That is why people here will hear me preach about patience, determination, work, educating oneself, love, and more patience. I am so glad you did not give up on your puppy. I know how frustrated you probably were so many times.
I could never give up on Daisy she is my heart, thanks for your advice

Pam
01-09-2001, 11:20 AM
I don't know if this really applies, but my daughter has had the same sort of a problem with her cat. The cat's owner had 4 very small little boys who carried Gabe all around (like you said, his feet barely ever got to touch the ground!) Well to this day, Gabe will only allow my daughter or son-in-law to pick him up, although he once allowed me to have that privilege. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif Gabe was only a little kitten (maybe 8-9 wks.) when she got him) but we have often wondered if those early weeks scared him in some way. He seems afraid of strangers even now, two years later. If you visit often enough and he "gets to know" you he is more relaxed but still won't allow anyone to pick him up. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/frown.gif

[This message has been edited by Pam (edited January 09, 2001).]

jackiesdaisy1935
01-09-2001, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Pam:
I don't know if this really applies, but my daughter has had the same sort of a problem with her cat. The cat's owner had 4 very small little boys who carried Gabe all around (like you said, his feet barely ever got to touch the ground!) Well to this day, Gabe will only allow my daughter or son-in-law to pick him up, although he once allowed me to have that privilege. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif Gabe was only a little kitten (maybe 8-9 wks.) when she got him) but we have often wondered if those early weeks scared him in some way. He seems afraid of strangers even now, two years later. If you visit often enough and he "gets to know" you he is more relaxed but still won't allow anyone to pick him up. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/frown.gif I think it sounds like the same problem. Daisy is a lovey now, but only with family that she sees quite often, I can't allow her near children, she is very vocal in her dislike of them, so we have to be very careful. Luckily we are retired so spend our time home and no small children. We have two grandsons 6 and 11 and we have to put Daisy and Perry outside while they are here.
She will come to us now, but only on her terms and we are allowed to pick her up for a minute to pet her and then she wants down, we let her go at her own pace.
Thanks for the note, glad to know there are others out there like her.

[This message has been edited by Pam (edited January 09, 2001).]