PDA

View Full Version : Update on Domino

Buddy Blaze Lover
01-27-2006, 01:15 PM
Well, right now, things are looking TOO good for Dom...he's a real fighter though, I will say that. I'm so proud of my boy! :)

Ok, Domino has steadily gotten worse over the last few weeks, and finally, I just could not bear to see him suffer any longer! I've had two other guinea pigs, and they went through long suffering, so I thought that putting Domino down would be the best option:(...however...

After I reluctantly decided that Dom probably wouldn't make it much longer, I tearfully asked Mom if she would take Domino and let him rest in peace. (this was Wednesday) So she took him in to the vet's and left him there...BUT, the vet (Dr. Scott, he's awesome!) did not put him down! He saw and realized Domino still has spunk for being so sick, but even he himself said Dom didn't have much of a chance. However, he checked him out (and is doing this out of the kindness of his heart, bless him!) and figured that Domino has a bacterial infection that he has had for a while now. (and there's a long name for it, I can't remember what it is...) SO, Domino is still at the vet's, and they're going to see if there's anything they can do for him; if there is no alternative, then he will be put to rest. What an awesome vet Dr. Scott is to do such a kind deed, and care about us and animals so much! I mean, he's not going to even charge us anything!

So cross your fingers and paws that Dom might be able to pull through this, since there is still a slight chance. I'm not getting my hopes up though, since he very likely may still pass on within the next couple of days. (this is very difficult for me, and I'm getting choked up) Thank you all so very much for your prayers and thoughts, they mean so much!

I will update you all on the latest news ASAP!

-Katie

.sarah
01-27-2006, 01:18 PM
Poor Dom. I hope all goes well at the vet! I'll be thinking of him. I've really started to like guinea pigs since I joined PT, and you can thank Domino for that ;) I really hope he pulls through.

And what an awesome vet you have! Man I hope I can find a vet like that for my girls (we're searching for a new vet now)! :)

chrissycat21
01-27-2006, 01:26 PM
I really hope he can help Dom! Prayers are still coming from me and the rest of the zoo crew!

luvofallhorses
01-27-2006, 01:28 PM
I also hope he can help Dom..he will be in my thoughts and prayers and hugs to you!!

Buddy Blaze Lover
01-27-2006, 02:18 PM
Thanks you guys!:) Well, Mom just called the vet, and their comment was, "Well, he's just eating like a pig right now!":D I was happy to hear that...he's also on antibiotics (sp?) so it looks like he might be on the mend! I'm still not 100% sure he's going to pull through, but I'll tell you...he's one fighter like I said before!;)

joanofark
01-27-2006, 03:41 PM
Thank Goodness!! I saw 'Update on Domino' and I thought he passed!:( I'm so glad to hear he is still okay!! Prayers still coming! He's a strong boy, he can do it!! :)

chrissycat21
01-27-2006, 05:01 PM
I'm so glad he is eating! That is always a good sign. :) He sure is living up the the name guinea pig! lol

tatsxxx11
01-27-2006, 09:34 PM
Now that's more like it!!!:D Oh Katie, I'm SO happy to hear the encouraging news! Dr. Scott is my hero:D What a brave little guy our Dom is! I can't wait to tell Beamer the news! Keeping EVERYTHING crossed that he continues to improve and comes home to his Mom asap!!!
Big hugs to you Katie! Thanks for the heads up!:) Woo hoo!!!

Karen
01-27-2006, 09:52 PM
Tell Dr. Scott we are all thankful for his care.

Alysser
01-27-2006, 09:59 PM
:D That's great what Dr. Scott is doing for you. I hope Dom is okay! Poor boy!

chocolatepuppy
01-28-2006, 05:02 AM
Pawsitive thoughts headed out to Domino! :D

crazy_caique
01-28-2006, 08:37 AM
I am so happy to hear Dom is okay. :)

Roxyluvsme13
01-28-2006, 11:57 AM
Yay Dr.Scott! I hope there is something they can do for the little guy. He's still in my thoughts and prayers. (((HUGS)))

Buddy Blaze Lover
01-28-2006, 02:59 PM
Oh yes, thanks everyone, I am pretty relieved!:) I am definitely going to thank Dr. Scott from the bottom of my heart, he has been SO nice!!!!!!!!!!:D I'm not sure when we are going to pick Domino up yet; it may be another few days, but I'm just happy that he's on the recovery!!!:D

sandragonfly
01-28-2006, 03:17 PM
ooh hoorraah!! I'm sooo happy for you! :D :D very glad dr. scott could do something, I told you! ;)

keep fighting dom! I hope you will be back to comfty, warm home with your mommy very soon, and be sure to peek up on pet talk and show yourself more! (I hope to see more of you soon dear dom-dom!)

((happy hugs)) :)

Toby's my baby
01-28-2006, 03:23 PM
That is GREAT!!! I am so happy for the both of you! Dr. Scott sure sounds awsome!

jesse_3
01-28-2006, 03:36 PM
I am so glad that Domino is doing better! He will still be in my thoughts and prayers, and everyone here will keeping our paws and fingers crossed for him!

Steph and the gang

petslover
01-28-2006, 05:00 PM
We will praying extra hard for Domino. Come on tough guy. We know you can get the strength to get better.

-hugs-

tatsxxx11
01-28-2006, 05:24 PM
Thinking of you guys!!!:D Keeping our fingers and paws crossed for you, Dom!!! Sending lots of positive thoughts and healing prayers your way!:) You can do it Dom!
xoxoxo
Sandra and the Fur~

CagneyDog
01-28-2006, 07:36 PM
Yay! What great news!

Get better Dom :D

Buddy Blaze Lover
01-29-2006, 12:47 PM
Thanks again for the prayers guys, they mean SO much!!! We should hopefully get a call from the vet clinic tomorrow...:)

chrissycat21
01-29-2006, 02:42 PM
Still thinking of you and Dom. Lots of (((HUGS))) to you Katie for staying strong through this. Hopefully little Dom will be home soon!

Buddy Blaze Lover
01-31-2006, 08:23 PM
Well, Domino's still not home, but now Dr. Scott discovered that he also had an upper respiratory (sp?) problem, which caused his wheezing and difficult breathing. They said he's doing pretty good though, and we'll hopefully get to bring him home tomorrow or Thursday, but it may be longer. I'm just so thankful for Dr. Scott's kindness and help! I mean, who ever heard of a vet taking care of a guinea pig for a week without charging us anything?? :eek: (except a small fee which we were going to pay to put him down) But yeah, he's awesome!!:D

chrissycat21
01-31-2006, 08:39 PM
Thats great! I'm so glad Domino is getting better!

What kind of litter do you use? Cedar and non kiln dried pine are really bad, and I have heard that they can trigger URI. I know Kaytee brand pine litter is kiln dried, so that might be ok.

Buddy Blaze Lover
02-02-2006, 06:52 PM
Thats great! I'm so glad Domino is getting better!

What kind of litter do you use? Cedar and non kiln dried pine are really bad, and I have heard that they can trigger URI. I know Kaytee brand pine litter is kiln dried, so that might be ok.

Oh no, I'd NEVER use pine or cedar!:eek: Never have, never will;) I used the dried newspaper stuff you get from pet stores...I'm not quite sure what it's called, but it's one of the best kinds.

We're still waiting for the vet's call, and man, I miss my boy! I'm just glad he's coming home though, and that's the best thing!!!:D:D

chrissycat21
02-02-2006, 07:51 PM
Ok, thats good. I was just checking because even some very responsible guinea pig owners don't realize that that can be the start of many problems. :)

tatsxxx11
02-03-2006, 03:05 PM
Hi Katie! Keeping our fingers and paws crossed that Dom will be home very soon! Maybe today or tomorrow??? Poor little guy...a resp. infection too:( Thank goodness for Dr. Scott:) Anxiously awaiting the next update!
Love and wheeks from me and of course Beamer and Rosie.
(Special wheeks and purrrs from Beamer!:))

tatsxxx11
02-07-2006, 05:36 PM
How's Dom doing???:confused: Paws and fingers crossed!

Buddy Blaze Lover
02-07-2006, 07:31 PM
Thanks Sandra! :)

Domino's doing much better, although I don't know if he'll ever be 100%. :( He's just getting up there in age, and Dr. Scott has done everything he can to help him. He actually called yesterday and I have a big decision to make...Domino is better than he was, though not totally well...so I have 3 options: I can bring him home tomorrow and see how much longer he hangs in there, or Dr. Scott has offered to give him to a teacher and her class to enjoy. He also said he could keep him at the vet's office to enjoy as well. I'm having a hard time deciding, since I just want to do what is best for Domino...but since he will probably have a relapse, I'm not so sure I want to go through that again. :( But I would still love to have him home, yet others may enjoy him too. I'm praying to make the right decision, and I will let you know what happens.

luvofallhorses
02-07-2006, 07:40 PM
Do whatever you think is best, Katie. I am sure he'll be happy either way. :) but you love him and I am sure he knows that. :)

Roxyluvsme13
02-07-2006, 07:40 PM
Katie, I'm glad Dom is doing better. That's a very hard decision to make, but I know you will make the right one and choose whats best for Domino. Good Luck and ((HUGS))
Briana

chrissycat21
02-07-2006, 07:52 PM
You are such a great mommy to Domino, and I'm sure whatever you do will make him happy. This is such a tough thing to decide, good luck and lots of {{{HUGS!}}}

tatsxxx11
02-08-2006, 12:57 PM
What a blessing Dr. Scott has been:) I think we should award him the "Golden Leash" award for PetTalk Vet of the Month:)

Katie, I totally understand your conflicted feelings:( But be it with Dr. Scott, the teacher and students or home with you, however much time Dom has left, (which may be awhile!!!:)) I have no worries that he will be happy; much loved and well cared for. Katie, you are the bestest furmom and whatever you decide, I know you will make the right choice for Dom, for you and your family:) If you get to see him, please give him a bunch of soft, little kisses for me and Beamer and tell him we love him:)
{{{HUGS}}}
Sandra

Buddy Blaze Lover
02-08-2006, 03:02 PM
Thank you to ALL of you once again!!!! It means so much to know you are there for us!!:)

Well, I made my decision, and Domino came home today!!!:D I am so glad to have him back, to hear him squeak and purr again.;) He is doing much better, but not 100%, so I'm just going to be happy to have him for as long as he lives. If he does have a relapse, I may just let Dr. Scott take him and find him a good home so I don't have to go through all that again...but Dom's good right now. Thank God for Dr. Scott, he is SOOO awesome!!!!!!!!!:D And thanks to you for all the prayers and thoughts!!!!!!!!!!!:D;) I know Domino could not have pulled through without them!!!

Sincerely,

Katie and Domino;)

chrissycat21
02-08-2006, 03:57 PM
I'm so glad he's home and doing better! :)

sandragonfly
02-08-2006, 04:54 PM
glad he is home! :) give some scrigges to him from me! :D

(((katie)))

Buddy Blaze Lover
02-09-2006, 07:36 PM
I will give him some extra love Gina!:D

luvofallhorses
02-10-2006, 10:51 AM
I am glad he's doing so well. give him a hug for me. :)

tatsxxx11
02-10-2006, 05:50 PM
What wonderful news, Dom is home!!!:D I'm so happy for you Katie. Enjoy your precous boy:) I'm sure HE'S happy to be home with his Mommy, too!!!

Lots of love to you both! And lots of gentle pets, kisses, wheeks and purrrs to Dom from me and Beamer and Rosie:D
Sandra, Moonbeam and Rosie!

catmandu
02-17-2006, 08:57 AM
Prayers Are Coming For Domino,and Wqe At The Found Cat Hotel Hope That You Will Have More Time With Your Friend.
You Really Have A Wonderful Gentleman As Your Veternarian.

jesse_3
02-18-2006, 10:52 PM
I haven't been on for such a long time!!! I am SO glad that Dom is home! *CELEBRATE* I'm still gonna be praying that there will be no relapse though!
How's it going with Dom right now?
Steph and Splinter