PDA

View Full Version : A one-cat household-here's the "scoop"

slick
01-27-2006, 10:24 AM
I know I don't post in Cat General very much....I'm sorry but I just don't have enough time to respond to everyone and it's so hard to keep up. I do read and appreciate all of your stories and "awwwww" at the pictures.

Anyway, my thoughts about living in a one-cat household.
- I only have to scoop and flush once a day now. Two pee pods and maybe one tootsie roll and that's it.
- I save money on litter.
- I save money on food.
- I don't have as many food and water dishes to wash in the mornngs.
- I only have one litter box to clean and not as often as before.
- I only have one kitty who demands my attention and says when and where.
- There is only one kitty on the bed at night.

...and yet, I would trade it all to live in a two-cat household again. I miss my Speckles so much. At night she used to crawl underneath the blankets and cuddle up to me and keep me warm. Now, I only have Max who demands to take up half of my pillow.

I admit, these past few days I have thought about getting another kitty, but I really think it's unfair to Max. He's will be 13 in April......was and will always be the alpha and really doesn't like other kitties. Speckles was stalked on a daily basis until about a week before she passed. I think I'll wait until Max makes the trip, then go to a rescue and adopt two together...maybe siblings or best friends that can't be separated.

Anyway, just needed to get this down in writing. No need to respond. Thanks for listening.

wolflady
01-27-2006, 10:35 AM
**hugs**
It's always hard to lose a beloved furbaby, and I'm sure another lucky feline will make his or her way into your heart and home. It will happen when the time is right.

Much love,
Karen

Corinna
01-27-2006, 10:49 AM
HUG to you and Max.

Killearn Kitties
01-27-2006, 10:50 AM
It must be so difficult at night when your little "hot water bottle" isn't there. :( You can only do what you think is best for you and Max, and I know you'll make the best decision.

Hugs to you and snugglies to Max!

jazzcat
01-27-2006, 11:30 AM
I just want to offer (((HUGS))) to you.

RICHARD
01-27-2006, 11:42 AM
I think you should talk to Peanut and CJ.....

;)

Maya & Inka's mommy
01-27-2006, 11:47 AM
http://users.pandora.be/bernardgabriels/images/smilies%20973%20Huge_hug.gif

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
01-27-2006, 12:16 PM

;)
Yep, I think so. All you need to do is find a nice laid back kitty that isn't going to fight for the alpha spot. An older kitty, but not too old, so when Max wants to stalk the kitty can handle it. And maybe Max's stalking will actually turn into play if he has someone who will play back. CJ has been here a little over a year now and I really believe Peanut enjoys having another kitty around. She was on the bed the other morning and CJ was going goofy killing a mousie on the floor. She immediately stopped what she was doing and went to the edge of the bed to see what the commotion was. After he was done and sitting calmly about a foot away from the mousie, she jumped down and went to sniff at the mousie, batted it a little with her foot, watching him warily all the time. He made a slight move and she took off, with him in hot pursuit. It's very hard for me to believe she didn't know that would happen, and actually planned it by getting so close to him and batting the mousie. Of course it ended with her hissing at him and daddy yelling at CJ to stop it, but again, I think she knew exactly what she was doing, and was enjoying herself.

Anyway, all that was hopefully to show that even though at first it might seem like a bad idea to get another kitty, I think in the long run Max will be happy to have a friend again.

{{{hugs}}}

Counter-thoughts on living in a two cat household:
-double the love
-double the snuggles
-double the entertainment
-when one is "in a mood" you can still snuggle with the other
-double the love

Just take your time and don't write it off just yet. Either you'll find another kitty, or better yet, another kitty may just find you. ;)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
01-27-2006, 12:17 PM

;)
Richard, I think you need to talk to Peanut & CJ......

Edster needs a friend....... ;) :D

Cataholic
01-27-2006, 07:06 PM
Only you will know when the hole in your heart can be bridged with another furry one. Hugs to you at this still difficult time.

Johanna

catmandu
01-27-2006, 07:23 PM
I am sure that the Pet Angels ,and Our Lord will arrange for you to find a Nice Starry Girl Cat for Max,so he will have someone to cuddle with.
In thier Own Sweet Time,I pray that a Cat can come into your lives,not to replace Spreckles,but to augument her memory.
We are praying and The Pet Angels are working.

zippy-kat
01-27-2006, 09:06 PM
((hugs))

We're here to support you in any decision that you make.

Much love,
Zip

jenluckenbach
01-28-2006, 05:29 AM
{{{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}

moosmom
01-28-2006, 07:14 AM
You got some wonderful advice here!! I always keep a couple of extra around just for that purpose.

You'll know it when the time is right. ;)

((((((((HUGS))))))))))))

Donna and fur (and non fur) kids

AlleyCat
01-28-2006, 10:11 AM
I admit, these past few days I have thought about getting another kitty, but I really think it's unfair to Max. He's will be 13 in April......was and will always be the alpha and really doesn't like other kitties. Speckles was stalked on a daily basis until about a week before she passed. I think I'll wait until Max makes the trip, then go to a rescue and adopt two together...maybe siblings or best friends that can't be separated.

As much as I love multi-cat households (I have 4 myself) I can completely understand this. Our eldest cat, Rascal went to the RB nearly 2 years ago. It was not until her journey to the RB did we consider getting more cats in addition to the other one we already have (Onyx.) I do believe some cats are meant to be "only" cats and that sounds how you're feeling about Max. We all know how much you must love Max, and maybe waiting is the right thing to do. And getting two (or more !!) hint .. more !!! :) is a great idea. In the meantime you have all these kitties on PT to look at !! I sympathize with the loss of your Speckles.

orangemm
01-28-2006, 12:57 PM
I'm sorry you lost Speckles and I think we are all especially sensitive after a loved furbaby crosses over to the RB. It's probably wise that you wait and think about it for a while; there are plenty of sweet babies waiting out there and I'm sure there will be lots when you make a decision.

Hugs to you; I'm sure you miss her a lot. :(

slick
01-28-2006, 09:06 PM
I've spent quite a bit of time on Petfinder today. :o No, I have not made up my mind but just look at this sweetie...her face just jumped out at me. Maybe because she reminds me so much of Speckles.
http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=5705458
Thank you all for your words and advice. I really appreciate it. I also called a local friend who knows Max intimately and she thinks that Max would like a roommate but won't make it easy. I'm still not sure. If I choose to introduce another kitty, he/she will be an adult or a senior. Those poor little ones always get overlooked.

Then there is Mae...
http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=4866601

krazyaboutkatz
01-28-2006, 09:31 PM
Slick, Only you will know when the time is right. I think it's wonderful that you may want to adopt a senior kitty. Both Perrin and Mae sound like sweethearts. ((((HUGS))))

Barbara
01-29-2006, 09:33 AM
I know what you are talking about. Our Filou may make the trip during the next years, having kidney failure, and Tigris looks as healthy as can be. Filou is the one who comes under the covers and warms us. Tigris sleeps on the pillow (or on my knees :p ). I have no idea what to do in case... I must admit without Pet Talk I would feel like it would be too difficult to introduce another kitty but here there are some good stories: Peanut and CJ e.g.

I am sure Speckles at RB will give you advice.

zippy-kat
01-29-2006, 02:22 PM
I looked for this thread yesterday afternoon and must've looked right past it! :rolleyes: I'm glad Barbara "bumped" it back up.

I had a thought ...
You had mentioned adopting 2 together. Would that be a possibility now? (That's a rhetorical question, you don't have to answer. ;) ) I was thinking that possibly, if the 2 newbies were already bonded, they would stick together and leave Mr. Max alone (and vice versa). Just a thought. :)

I sooooo wish you could meet Miss Kitty (http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=5531262), a sweet girl from our humane society. Her owner passed away. The niece brought Miss Kitty in right after the funeral and told the HS that either they would take her or she'd demand the pound to put her to sleep. :( Thankfully, the HS didn't turn her away.

Bless you for wanting to give an older kitty a second chance on a loving, furever home! I know that a lucky kitty (or kitties) will be waiting for you at the most perfect time. ((hugs))

slick
01-29-2006, 08:57 PM
Zip, without a word of a lie....if I lived close to you, I would take Miss Kitty in a heartbeat.

The strata bylaw only allows for two pets per condo. Offenders are given a $100 fine. :eek: If it weren't for that I would definitely take your suggestion of adopting a duo.

I'm still on the fence about this.

Catty1
01-29-2006, 09:16 PM
I would love to see these kitties, but when I click on the link, it keeps timing out - on ALL of them! Everyone else seeing them ok?

Good luck, Slick! Take your time. When you're ready.

Lizzie
01-29-2006, 09:45 PM
My thought is that if you are going to adopt another cat, you should do it very soon before Max gets used to being the only cat. My Artful Dodger was very much the alpha male, though a small cat, and was still harassing other cats within a day of his death from multiple disorders, he was that bad. The cats who coped with him best were two large, softy silly males and a very agile Siamese female, all senior like Dodger. The softy males simply rolled over and then ran to me for hugs which made everything better. The Siamese shot out of reach and looked disdainful. The others went through hell and two ended up living in the hall cupboard. I know that Dodger would have enjoyed being the only cat, but I also believe he would have been very lonely. It was as though other cats annoyed him but life wouldn't be as much fun without them.

Do you know someone who fosters and would let you "try out" having another cat for a few months?

shais_mom
01-29-2006, 10:41 PM
{{hugs}}

zippy-kat
01-29-2006, 11:42 PM
Eek! Certainly don't need any fines! :eek:

Whatever your decision we're behind you 100%,
Zip :)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
01-30-2006, 10:44 AM
Awww, drat! Too bad Zippy is so far away. Miss Kitty sounds like the perfect addition, and then you could have the Nothern division of the House of Orange. ;) :D

Both Perrin and Mae are adorable and I'm sure either one of them would fit right in. Like others have said, you will know when you find "the one." He/she will jump right out of the screen at you and say "Meowmie, it's me and I want to go home now, okay?" Or, you never know, he/she may just literally cross your path someday..... Either way, you will know, and like Zippy says, we'll support you no matter what decide to do. :) {{{hugs}}}

As for success stories, I can't think of any better one than HH Edwina and Eddie. Trust me, if Edwina can learn to peacefully coexist, I'm sure Max can too. ;)

Logan
01-30-2006, 11:26 AM
I guess I could say the exact same thing that Debbie did about Mimi and Butter, Slick. Mimi, in her younger years, could not tolerate the thought of another cat sharing our household, which she proved when we tried to keep Dwayne, a tiny kitten that my brother found. But, 5 years ago, she decided to allow Butter to come inside. I will warn you that they still are not good friends, and I think that Butter would enjoy a more playful, younger sibling, but I won't even test Mimi on this issue, again, during her lifetime, since she is already 16 years old. They have sort of found a "happy medium" and I don't want to ever upset her again.

That said, you will know when the timing is right, and will find the right kitty to fit into your home. I know the pain you have with losing Speckles. Just take your time, my friend. Anytime a new cat joins the household, it is usually chaotic, but things will settle down. If only cats could be as easy to put together with a new friend as dogs are! That has always been easier in this house, and the cats have always done fine with a new dog friend!

Logan

RICHARD
01-30-2006, 06:26 PM
Eek! Certainly don't need any fines! :eek:

You must be a parking ticket...You have FINE written all over you! ;)