PDA

View Full Version : Diarrhea.... added a couple funnies lol

lv4dogs
01-27-2006, 08:51 AM
Kaige has had diarrhea since late yesterday evening. He is completely normal as far as everything else goes so I am not too worried yet.

It is a mess though, he has had about 5-7 butt baths since yesterday evening.

Can I give him immodium ad or something similar? I know there is something I can give him I just can't remember what brand.

I did call my vet but they are in surgery right now & won't return my call until early/mid afternoon. So I thought I would try here.

Roxyluvsme13
01-27-2006, 08:52 AM
Aww poor Kaige...Pedialyte used to help Tink when she had diarrhea. As for the medicine...Uh.....Im not sure. :confused:

lv4dogs
01-27-2006, 08:59 AM
Pedialyte helps keep them hydrated but doesn't really help with the diarrhea. Kaige is drinking a lot and the diarrhea is not THAT bad yet so I am not yet too worried about dehydration.

Thanks a bunch though! :D

Roxyluvsme13
01-27-2006, 09:13 AM
Pedialyte helps keep them hydrated but doesn't really help with the diarrhea. Kaige is drinking a lot and the diarrhea is not THAT bad yet so I am not yet too worried about dehydration.

Thanks a bunch though! :D
Oh :o You're Welcome! My moms friends dogs vet gave him worm medicine for diarrhea? Maybe thats it

wolflady
01-27-2006, 10:25 AM
If the diarrhea continues, it would probably be a good idea to bring a sample into the vet's office for a fecal check. Hopefully it will clear up on its own (maybe he ate something that didn't agree with his tummy?), but if it lasts longer than a couple of days, it's worth a shot to make sure he hasn't picked anything up.

If you want to wait it out, you can feed him small amounts of chicken and rice. It's mild and should help calm a sensitive tummy.

You can use anti-diarrheals such as kaopectate, pepto-bismol, or immodium, but I would call the vet's office first to find out how much to give. I believe an appropriate dosage is based upon your pet's weight.

**hugs**

lv4dogs
01-27-2006, 10:35 AM
If the diarrhea continues, it would probably be a good idea to bring a sample into the vet's office for a fecal check. Hopefully it will clear up on its own (maybe he ate something that didn't agree with his tummy?), but if it lasts longer than a couple of days, it's worth a shot to make sure he hasn't picked anything up.

If you want to wait it out, you can feed him small amounts of chicken and rice. It's mild and should help calm a sensitive tummy.

You can use anti-diarrheals such as kaopectate, pepto-bismol, or immodium, but I would call the vet's office first to find out how much to give. I believe an appropriate dosage is based upon your pet's weight.

**hugs**

Thanks for the info. I am not feeding him anything today or at least not yet anyways.
If this continues he will go to the vets first thing tomorrow morning. I won't chance having this get worse on Sat afternoon or sunday as then he's have to go to an emergancy vet. Things like this seem to happen on weekends. figures. He has his audition tomorrow too so I really hope he doesn't have diarrhea tomorrow.

I just found out that Immodium should NOT be given to any dogs unless your dog has been tested normal for the MDR1 gene. This is one of the medications that can cause a reaction in dogs with the mutant gene. Pepto Bismol is the better choice as it is considered safe even for dogs affected with the MDR1 gene.

Now I just have to do more research on the MDR1 gene.

lv4dogs
01-27-2006, 11:00 AM
In case anyone else is wondering about the MDR1 gene here is some info I got from someone on an Aussie board:

MDR1 (Multi-Drug Reactivity 1) :
A mutation in a gene called MDR1 has been found to cause toxic reactions to several drugs in those dogs with at least one copy of the mutant version of the gene. Dogs with two copies may be even more sensitive to some of the drugs. This mutation is present in some Australian Shepherds.

A screening test is now available. For information on the test and a list of drugs that cause reactions: http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/depts-VCPL/.

In Europe, the test can be obtained at http://www.vetmed.uni-giessen.de/pharmtox/index.html

To see the results of the study that demonstrated the presence of this gene mutation in Aussies: http://www.pnas.org/cgi/reprint/0402374101v1

lv4dogs
01-27-2006, 12:36 PM
I was updating my LJ and of course had to mention this yucky event that took up a lot of my morning time this morning. I came up with a few nifty diarrhea songs all by myself that explain how I awoke this morning so I thought I would share them. I think they are funny. lol :p

When you're waking up in the morning
And you smell a stench a roaring
Diarrhea
Diarrhea

When you're feet hit the floor
and they slide forever more
Diarrhea
Diarrhea

k9krazee
01-27-2006, 02:06 PM
http://dogaddicts.com/smf/Smileys/default/spew.gif

.sarah
01-27-2006, 05:34 PM
LOL! My friend and I made up a Diarrhea song too since I felt like I was always cleaning it at work ... we thought we'd make the experience a little more bareable ;) :p

beeniesmom
01-27-2006, 05:47 PM
heheheheheee :D :D :D for the song

Hope Kaige is better.

lv4dogs
01-30-2006, 08:58 AM
Kaige has been fine since that afternoon. Guess soemthing just didn't agree with him. Thanks for the well wishes everyone!