PDA

View Full Version : Thinking About Switching Roxy's Food....

Roxyluvsme13
01-27-2006, 08:01 AM
I'm really going to try to convince my mom to switch Roxy as I *hate* the stuff shes on now... Suggestions?
I was thinking maybe something Nutro.
Nutro Max? (http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444177 6172&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302033128&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023689&bmUID=1138370234930)
Or maybe...
Nutro Nat. Choice? (http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444177 6234&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302033126&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023689&bmUID=1138370400613)
Any suggestions are appreciated! :D

lv4dogs
01-27-2006, 08:18 AM
Nutro Max diets have more fillers & the such than Nutro Natural Choice. If you were to feed Max she would still need to eat a lot of it. With the NC you don't need to feed as much as the food has less fillers, her body will use more of the nutrients in it.

In the long run a decent food that costs a little more is actually cheaper.
I am trying to find a post or a site with some onfo on why feeding a decent food is actually cheaper in the run. I know I have seen them before and I already know the reasons why but I thought it would be a great article for you to show your mom.

Give me a few moments while I look for it.

lv4dogs
01-27-2006, 08:25 AM
Ok, not exactly what I was looking for (I will continue to look more later today) but it works for now.

When we began to look at cost per feeding last year, we discovered an interesting fact: It costs less to feed a Super-Premium dog food than an Economy dog food. The secret is in the nutritional power of the food. A Super-Premium dog food contains much more energy and protein in every kibble than an economy brand. In one test we ran, we had to feed five times as much of the Economy brand dog food to get the same nutritional benefits of the Super-Premium. Despite the lower cost per bag of the Econo brand, it costs you more to feed than a Super-Premium, because you use more bags. How does cost fit in to the dog food picture? We measured the cost of 40 pound bags of various maintenance/adult dog foods and took the manufacturers' suggested feeding instructions. We then calculated the cost of feeding a 40 lb house dog for a day.

The Premium foods studied had an average of 22% crude protein and 10% crude fat. The Super-Premium dog foods examined had an average of 27% crude protein and 15% crude fat. The Economy brands averaged 20% crude protein and 8% crude fat.

The Super-Premium foods suggested feeding an average of 1-3/4 cups of food per day for our 40 lb dog. Premium brands recommended 3-1/4 cups, while the Econo brands instructed feeding 6 cups a day.

It costs an average of 24 cents a day to feed a dog a Super-Premium brand, compared to 26 cents a day for a Premium brand, and 31 cents a day for an Econo brand. That's right - the Econo-brand actually costs you 7 cents more a day to feed your dog than a Super-Premium does. In order to give your dog the nutrition he needs, he has to eat 3-1/2 times more of the Econo brand than the Super-Premium food.

Thus, the big difference is in the poop! The seven cents more that you spend on an Economy brand buys you piles more in the yard cleanup department.

I would also like to include that premium foods also help a great deal with overall health of the body, mind & coat which means less grooming & vet bills!!!

Roxyluvsme13
01-27-2006, 08:27 AM
Wow...I need to show my mom this! :D

LuvGold00
01-27-2006, 09:01 AM
I feed my Goldens Nutro Natural Choice Lamb & Rice, I love it.

Vela
01-27-2006, 11:56 AM
I agree with Lv4dogs, and if you are going to feed her Nutro go with the Ultra line if you can find it. It is their highest quality Nutro formulation. THe Natural Choice is still better than grocery store food though. The other versions have lots of fillers and really that only comes out as extra poop to clean up. The dog's body doesn't use it at all and it is actually cheaper to feed a better food because you have to feed less and they are healthier overall. What they eat has a large impact on their overall health. In any food try to avoid byproducts of any kind and try to avoid fillers like corn especially and grain leavings like brewer's rice (this is actually swept up off the floor and combined with rice leavings left over from beer production and can actually contain hopps as well), try to look for whole grains but also try to make sure the first three to four ingredients are good protein sources. (This is just info to help you figure out what might be a good food by looking at the label) I myself like the chicken soup brand but it's not available everywhere or in big chains. My dogs only eat 2 cups of food a day, well 2-1/2 for cracker, and they maintain good weight and health and energy. They get 1 cup in the morning and 1 or 1-1/2 at night. I'm only bringing that up to let you know how much less they need to eat of good quality food versus the often recommended 3 to 6 cups of the lower quality foods, since so much is filler. I think it would great for Roxy if you were able to convince your mom to change.

JenBKR
01-27-2006, 12:00 PM
I just started Roscoe on Nutro Natural Choice Chicken, Rice, and Oatmeal, and he does really well on it. Less poopy, soft, shiny coat, and no gas (which he was getting on his old food). Good luck!

Jadapit
01-27-2006, 12:04 PM
I just started Roscoe on Nutro Natural Choice Chicken, Rice, and Oatmeal, and he does really well on it. Less poopy, soft, shiny coat, and no gas (which he was getting on his old food). Good luck!

I feed my dogs the same thing. I was feeding them the lamb and rice but Ebony didnt like it. They are doing great on it. Their coats are really shiny. Come to think of it Ebony had a lot of gas she doesnt anymore on this food. :) Here is a link for a coupon for a free bag of Nutro.http://www.nutroproducts.com/yourfamily/

Jessika
01-27-2006, 12:06 PM
While Max is cheaper than Natural Choice, Natural Choice is the better choice (no pun intended hehe). It has absolutely no by-products and MUCH less fillers :)

EDIT: I, too, just switched mine from their Lamb Meal & Rice formula to their Chicken Meal, Rice, and Oatmeal formula! Since the switch too they've had virtually NO GAS :D Woohoo!

Roxyluvsme13
01-27-2006, 01:48 PM
I asked my mom and she said she cant afford it right now...