PDA

View Full Version : Introducing a new dog to the home

beeline1
01-06-2001, 11:39 AM
Can someone out there contribute some suggestions. I have two older dogs. The sheltie who is 12 became very aggressive to
my daughters young miniature pinscher who is
also a male. So we now keep them apart. I would like to bring in a new puppy this
summer but I am afraid of my sheltie attacking it. He seems to be okay unless
he is cornered. My second thought was that
he would accept a female from a rescue center.
I want to go to a very little dog this time.
My keeshond is very receptive to any new
pet. Any suggestions are welcome. Fran

carrie
01-06-2001, 07:52 PM
I would say that an introduction made in the home is not a good one. Nor the garden - although that depends on the resident dog.
Most adult dogs will revert to wolf behaviour when presented with a pup on neutral ground - that is, lots of growling ( if your dog is dominant) and then lets all be pups!! When your dog has had a sniff and a play there shouldn't be a problem!

beeline1
01-07-2001, 08:36 AM
Thanks, Your suggestion makes sense. I
will go with it. fran

RachelJ
01-07-2001, 08:42 AM
A local shelter in our area requires that if you already have a dog, you bring that dog along to the shelter when you pick out your new dog so it can be determined if they will get along before the dog is adopted. I believe this is done by letting the two dogs get together in the area designated for owners and dogs to get acquainted. This probably is not a fool proof system but obviously they have determined over the years that it is of help in assuring a successful adoption process.

Thank you for considering a rescure/shelter dog. If you have been checking the Dogs of the Day for awhile, you obviously know what wonderful matches are made and what loving, appreciative dogs there are to be found in this manner.

[This message has been edited by RachelJ (edited January 07, 2001).]

jackiesdaisy1935
01-08-2001, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by beeline1:
Can someone out there contribute some suggestions. I have two older dogs. The sheltie who is 12 became very aggressive to
my daughters young miniature pinscher who is
also a male. So we now keep them apart. I would like to bring in a new puppy this
summer but I am afraid of my sheltie attacking it. He seems to be okay unless
he is cornered. My second thought was that
he would accept a female from a rescue center.
I want to go to a very little dog this time.
My keeshond is very receptive to any new
pet. Any suggestions are welcome. Fran
We have two schnauzers a male and female both two years old. A young lady was going to have a baby and didn't want her little schnauzer because she thought it would hurt the baby when it was born so we were going to adopt it. Our male schnauzer is very laid back, but when the little schnauzer was introduced to him and our female he attacked her along with the female. They are both wonderful dogs and I have never known them to do that. We believe they acted as a pack.
Therefore we decided there was no way we could bring in another dog.

beeline1
01-08-2001, 05:02 PM
Thanks, I think I best wait.. until my
sheltie goes to doggie heaven! He is
a joy to have but I think it is too risky.
I wouldn't want anything to happen especially since the new dog will definitely be a smaller breed.. thanks again.