PDA

View Full Version : UUUGGGHHH grey hairs

lv4dogs
01-26-2006, 04:10 PM
I think I have 2-3 gray hairs. OMG First I turn 30 now I have grey hairs. I really feel old now. :(

At what age do people usually start to get grey hairs?

My dad is 56 and has not a one, my mom just started to get them when she was in her mid 40's. Why am I getting them so early? :( :(

Uabassoon
01-26-2006, 04:15 PM
I'm 24 and I have a lot of gray hairs, I'm honestly not sure how much because I color my hair to cover it up.

.sarah
01-26-2006, 04:18 PM
The age you get them is determined by genetics, but it's kind of wierd that you've got them if your parents didn't start graying until they were much older. There's that one news anchor (can't remember his name, he's the 'hottie of the news world' apparently lol) that is completely gray and in his thirties, and he said he started graying in his early twenties.

catnapper
01-26-2006, 04:22 PM
I wasn't even 20 years old before I started seeing greys. I am now in my early 30s and am about 40% grey. I can't wait til I'm about 80% grey because I've always thought those women who wore the salt and pepper hair were so elegant and confident. Right now, if I show my greys it just looks like I need a touch up.

Uabassoon
01-26-2006, 04:23 PM
I can't wait til I'm about 80% grey because I've always thought those women who wore the salt and pepper hair were so elegant and confident.

I've also thought the same thing! But for now I've determined I'm way too young to be showing my gray hairs!

Crazy-Cat-Lover
01-26-2006, 04:26 PM
I will be 21 in June and have spotted quite a few grey hairs on my head. I have a daughter and a husband and three cats - so I get stressed out alot. Ugh, I bet you I will be all grey by the time I'm 40. :p

Queen of Poop
01-26-2006, 04:29 PM
I was 17 when I found the first grey hairs. I've since learned of the joys of hair color and love to experiment with new colors. At 40 I don't show any grey, but there is a whole lot there now. Thanks Dad for those genes!!

slick
01-26-2006, 04:30 PM
My long hair is it's natural colour....has tons of grey and white. I love it and wouldn't change it for any amount of money.

Logan
01-26-2006, 04:31 PM
I always blamed my gray hairs on my ex-husband. They started showing up when I was about 30. I am probably 75% or more gray now and have colored it for ages, but last month I decided to stop. I was sick of spending time it took, more than the money. I may change my mind, though. It is coming in fast and furious and I'm not sure I"m ready. I'm 43 years old and if I go all natural, I will be mostly gray in a few months when the color wears off.

Oh, and it probably isn't my ex-husband's fault, completely. My dad's side of the family grayed very early. My mom's side never grayed. Go figure! I guess I got the premature gray gene.

Logan

Laura's Babies
01-26-2006, 05:22 PM
I never worried about graying... I have a lot of silver in mine now and wish it would ALL go silver... I think that is so pretty!

When Mama died in 1999, I had more gray hair than she did and she waited all her life for hers to turn gray and the grandkids call her "Granny".. She had the "Granny" part but never got the gray part.

Corinna
01-26-2006, 05:25 PM
I found my first grey one on my 30th birthday too. I love highlighting they look like they are part of it. Been doing it so long I'm almost a blond.

poofy
01-26-2006, 05:46 PM
I think I have 2-3 gray hairs. OMG First I turn 30 now I have grey hairs. I really feel old now. :(

At what age do people usually start to get grey hairs?

My dad is 56 and has not a one, my mom just started to get them when she was in her mid 40's. Why am I getting them so early? :( :(

Me and my 3 daughters had grey hair by the time we were 16 and my son didnt start getting them till he turned 30... :(

Crikit
01-26-2006, 06:17 PM
Apparently my mom started getting grey hairs when she was around my age...luckily I don't have any yet (knock on wood) but I do however have a handful of white eyelashes on each eye with more coming. I blame the eyelashes on stress.

cyber-sibes
01-26-2006, 06:27 PM
I was probably in my 30's. I felt so old-looking when it was getting grey. I didn't color it till Iwas in my 40's, and I'm much happier when I look in the mirror and at least I still have dark hair! (Can't do much about the wrinkles setting in) However, my younger brother is almost all gray. I had an uncle that turned gray at 16! But one of my grandmothers never turned gray- go figure!

Pam
01-26-2006, 06:41 PM
I was 40 and remember it well. I was driving my son's carpool and his little friend in the back seat said "Mrs. B do you know you have some gray hairs?' LOL! Leave it to the kids!

I started coloring it shortly thereafter and figured I might as well go a little lighter since I was going to the trouble. I have recently dyed it a color close to what I believe is my natural color (who remembers LOL!) I would love to let it all grow in but there's not nearly enough to be attractive I don't think. It would probably just be icky gray threads here and there. My mom didn't really go totally gray until around 70.

sandragonfly
01-26-2006, 06:45 PM
I've had two silver hairs started when I was eleven, now it seems one has came up every two years, about 7-8 now...hard to see. don't feel bad. :) (((hugs)))

your parents just sound like mine, father finally had one last year but only is 51 and mother started when she was 27, now she's completely tin-tin head! :p

lv4dogs
01-27-2006, 08:06 AM
Well I'm glad I'm not the only one who is middle aged that is already getting grey hair.

I also know of quit a few people that have had grey hair since their late teens/early 20's. For some reason it's different when it is you & not them. lol lol

I died my hair last night. :p And it was supposed to be a medium-darkish brown, it ended up being a strawberry blonde. :eek: :eek: :eek:
It looks ok but NOT what I was expecting.

Samantha Puppy
01-27-2006, 08:33 AM
I've been picking out stray gray hair for the last couple years. Not too many, but they're still there. That's why hair dye is my friend.

Pawsitive Thinking
01-27-2006, 09:06 AM
I've got to the stage where I no longer remember what my natural colour is!!

Cataholic
01-27-2006, 11:23 AM
I turned 40 last year, and I have a few right at my forehead. I pull them sometimes, but mostly? I just look past them. It can't matter that much, can it? I can't be bothered with spending the time or the money to do anything about it. I gave up highlighting my hair about 4 years ago- the maintainance is just not worth it.

I say to just accept it, gracefully! Beats some of the alternatives. :D

Husky_mom
01-27-2006, 12:17 PM
i had a friend that around 12-13 she had almost half gray hairs, so i agree itīs an individual thing, because her parents didnt had any so it was weird but every being is different and that just makes us US, by the way SHOW ME THE PICTURES!!! of your new color we want to see them ;)

lv4dogs
01-27-2006, 12:51 PM
by the way SHOW ME THE PICTURES!!! of your new color we want to see them ;)

I will get some this weekend for you!

gemini9961
01-27-2006, 01:41 PM
I have a few and have had them for a few years. I'm 24. And they have to be right at the top of my head, not hidden underneath. :rolleyes:

lv4dogs
01-27-2006, 01:45 PM
I have a few and have had them for a few years. I'm 24. And they have to be right at the top of my head, not hidden underneath. :rolleyes:

LOL thats where mine were.

ramanth
01-27-2006, 02:02 PM
I started going 'gray' at 21, same as my mom. The hairs are more white than gray though. The gray blends in, but the white hairs tend to grow near the top of my head at the hair line and are very course so they stand straight up. :rolleyes: :o :eek:

So I tweeze them out. *laughs*

Barbara
01-27-2006, 02:54 PM
I knew a French family with 3 very pretty daughters when I was 20 and all these girls, about my age, with the faces of Egyptian princesses turned white between 20 and 30. My dad who died 2 years ago at 89 had about 10 percent of white hair, all the rest (and there was not much of it :p ) was dark brown. I am in between. I'd guess 25% of my hair is grey/white now and two years ago I have decided not to colour anymore as I am a lazy person ;)

Husky_mom
01-27-2006, 04:00 PM
originally poted by ramanth

LOL you reminded me of my father, about 10-15 years ago he hated gray hairs so he always plucked them out, but one time he got a BIG CHUNK i can almost swear with a bit of head too!!! so he stopped doing that and resigned to have gray hairs from that time on LOL

now he couldnt care less about them, he doesnt has much like a 2% or something or even less but he hated it back then

momoffuzzyfaces
01-27-2006, 04:02 PM
I got my first gray hair when I was 16!!!

Hardly a brown hair left now that I'm 55! :(

lizbud
01-27-2006, 04:43 PM
I didn't start to get gray until the 40's.I still have a mix of gray/dark
hair. My daughter saw first gray hair in her 20's.

lv4dogs
01-30-2006, 11:13 AM
Ok its pretty hard, maybe really hard to see how light and reddish my hair is in this pic but I have no more room on my camera. This is the only pic I could get (and I didn't even take it) hence the weird look on my face, I was baby talking to Kaige. lol

My hair really is a lot lighter with a touch of strawberry blond color.
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b372/nanryk/more%20pics/100_1135.jpg

finn's mom
01-30-2006, 11:33 AM
A lot of it is genes. I noticed my first one at 16. I'm 29, and, I'm about 30% grey, now. My mother was 100% by the time she was about 36 or so. Hey, think of it this way, at least you can dye it. :) I know with balding in your genes, it's a lot harder to deal with. But, yeah, I'm looking forward to a head full of gorgeous silver hair, my mother's is wonderful. But, I'm not looking forward to it til I'm at least 50. ;) So, for now, dyeing is a part of my hair care routine.

gemini9961
01-30-2006, 11:59 AM
I started going 'gray' at 21, same as my mom. The hairs are more white than gray though. The gray blends in, but the white hairs tend to grow near the top of my head at the hair line and are very course so they stand straight up. :rolleyes: :o :eek:

I thought you were talking about me there for a minute. I get a couple of unruly ones at my hairline too. Stupid things will only grow out enough to stand straight up. :eek: That's when I break out the little scissors and cut em down. I will look at myself in the mirror and there stands this lone white hair (that is so coarse compared to the rest of my hair) blowing in the breeze. I could care less about the ones that lay down with the rest of my hair but that one has to go. :)

pitc9
01-30-2006, 01:35 PM
I also started turning grey when I was young, about 19 and now that I'm 30... OMG you should see the grey's in my hair! :eek:
My mom and 2 of my 3 sisters also started turning grey when they were around 19 or 20.

KYS
01-30-2006, 01:49 PM
One of my sisters starting getting gray in her early 20's.
(she has been dying her hair the longest.) :D

I am about 1/4th gray and the gray comes in
thicker and courser. :(

K9karen
01-31-2006, 01:30 AM
My brother and I both started showing greys in our 20's. My dad showed greys in his 70's and my mother hardly had any. I'm about 70% gray, especially in front. i became severely allergic to any type of hair dye. The growing in was kind of "skunky" looking, but now, all I get are compliments and wouldn't change a thing if I could. If a guy can be a "silver fox" than I can be a "silver vixen"! :D

pnance
01-31-2006, 01:55 AM
I'm opposite most people it sounds like....my parents greyed young mid 20's and my brother at 27 already has some, but I think I've only had 1 or 2 and I'm now 33. I think part of it's hair color, I have red hair and most redheads don't seem to grey until later....I look at it as the trade off for having such fair skin I burn just looking at the sun.. ;)

davidpizzica
01-31-2006, 12:31 PM
I guess it's different for guys. I'm 57 and stared greying in my late 40s. Right now I have the "Distingushed grey around the temples" which is what the girls go for! LOL! Although the rest of my hair and moustache are catching up.

moosmom
01-31-2006, 03:44 PM
Um, get L'Oreal cuz you're worth it, girl!! I am in serious denial and refuse to allow any grey hairs ANYWHERE!!! If I can't color them, I pluck 'em, plain and simple. Grey hairs, balding, impaired eyesight, bladder control problems, etc. WELCOME TO REALITY!!!!!

lv4dogs
01-31-2006, 03:55 PM
Um, get L'Oreal cuz you're worth it, girl!! I am in serious denial and refuse to allow any grey hairs ANYWHERE!!! If I can't color them, I pluck 'em, plain and simple. Grey hairs, balding, impaired eyesight, bladder control problems, etc. WELCOME TO REALITY!!!!!

I got loreal & it turned my hair a total different color than what was on the box. It was supposed to be a medium-dark brown ended up being a strawberry blond. :rolleyes:

king2005
01-31-2006, 05:26 PM
I got loreal & it turned my hair a total different color than what was on the box. It was supposed to be a medium-dark brown ended up being a strawberry blond. :rolleyes:

hehehe, I wonder what colour you'll be when I meet you in June :D

I have every colour in my hair, red, blond, many browns & jet black :confused:
It also changes throughout the year. Every now & then I see some one I know & they'll say hey, you dyed your hair, it looks nice. I NEVER dye my hair, no need, my hair does it for me ;)

When Max started to get white hairs I use to pull them out.. but then they over took him & if I pulled them all out he would have been bald :D

Rie Rie
01-31-2006, 06:04 PM
I have a few gray hairs, but only notice them when the decide to become wirey and not blend with the rest of my hair. I do color my hair about two a year, but it's only because I don't like my natrual color, it's too mousy.

cyber-sibes
02-01-2006, 08:15 AM
my hairdresser asked me what I use - she said it's such a good color on me. I use that very inexpensive Revlon, since my hair's short, one box lasts for two colorings. And "only my hairdresser knows for sure!" I've tried some of the more expensive stuff but honestly don't see any difference.

moosmom
02-01-2006, 10:16 AM
Cyber-sibes,

My hair is also short so I get two colorings out of one box. My best friend keeps me in $1.00 to $2.00 off coupons. I usually wait till it goes on sale then I stock up.