View Full Version : Manitoba Dog Escapes Death Row

BC_MoM
01-26-2006, 12:50 PM
http://i1.tinypic.com/mlk2l4.jpg

Doggone Pooch Escapes From Death Row
Tamara King
Staff Reporter
Winnipeg Sun

The hunt is on for a death row escapee in Neepawa, Manitoba.

Described as a dangerous offender, the inmate is big, black and close to 100 pounds -- and is easily identified by the fact he's got four legs. And barks. A lot.

"There was a doggone jailbreak," Neepawa town councillor Wayne Hollier quipped in an interview with the Sun.

It's believed Caesar, a Rottweiler-cross, was sprung from poochie prison last Thursday -- hours before he was supposed to be euthanized after running loose, threatening and even biting Neepawa residents in spite of repeated warnings to his owner.

Caesar's been on the lam, and the local RCMP detachment and town officials have been on the lookout since last week's jailbreak.

"I can't say there's a Canada-wide warrant, but it's certainly the talk of the coffee shop," Hollier said, adding the incident is being taken seriously given the dog's history.

"We would feel absolutely awful if someone was bitten or disfigured by this dog."

Rap Sheet

Hollier said Caesar's extensive rap sheet dates back three years and includes offences such as running loose, growling, barking, chasing and biting people. On one occasion, an off-duty RCMP officer had to pepper spray the dog to bring him under control, said Hollier.

The dog and his owner were put on a tight legal leash last month when town council declared him a "dangerous dog" under Neepawa's animal control bylaw. His owner was fined and warned he could be destroyed if he broke the bylaw again.

But the town received three additional complaints about the dog being on the loose, Hollier said, so he was taken into custody and meted out the death sentence.

Caesar's owner and her two daughters reportedly went to say goodbye to the dog the same day he disappeared, Hollier said. RCMP wouldn't comment on whether they have any suspects in mind.

The culprit, or culprits, could face theft charges, said Cpl. Bob Hodyr of the Spruce Plains detachment.

Neepawa is about 175 km northwest of Winnipeg.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I could help but laugh out loud when I read this at lunch. :lol:
You guys better enjoy this as much as I did.. I typed it up AND included the picture for you guys. ;)

IRescue452
02-05-2006, 10:48 AM
oops :rolleyes: I'd do the same for my dog.

Alysser
02-05-2006, 10:53 AM
LOL! That's funny. I hope they don't catch him. :( But, I get he'll get adopted after this due to publisity.