PDA

View Full Version : What kind of brush?

dream_dog1234
01-26-2006, 10:45 AM
What kind of brush is best for a Golden? Should they be brushed daily, weekly...?

BC_MoM
01-26-2006, 10:55 AM
I suggest brushing daily to prevent matting.

I suggest getting a porcupine or pin brush for your Goldens.

.sarah
01-26-2006, 10:58 AM
Goldens usually don't need more than a weekly brushing. You should probably get an undercoat rake in addition to a 'regular' brush. A girl I know who is a Golden fancier suggests never brushing a Golden with a slicker brush, but I don't know why. Maybe you can ask a groomer?

GoldenLuv
01-26-2006, 11:54 AM
I would suggest this type of brush that is what alot of people i know who have goldens use and i also use this one my golden

http://www.petsmart.com/media/ps/images/products/detail/standard/April04/5927_371d5.jpg

BC_MoM
01-26-2006, 01:02 PM
Goldens usually don't need more than a weekly brushing.

You sure? :confused: When I had my Golden, we had to brush him daily.

GoldenLuv
01-26-2006, 01:34 PM
Its good to keep goldens brushed every other day sometimes less i guess it depends on how long their hair is...

and the most important part to make sure you brush out is their butt feathers

buttercup132
01-26-2006, 01:45 PM
I ordered this for Thunder hes a golen x sheperd and hes got the long hair of the golden. But I dont brush him even once a week :confused: He dosent get matts either.
http://www.furminator.com/resellers.cfm

Dixieland Dancer
01-26-2006, 02:14 PM
What kind of brush is best for a Golden? Should they be brushed daily, weekly...?

Dixie needs brushed about every other day as she has a fuller thicker coat with a lot of undercoat. It gets matted very easily (especially in her panties and her tail feathering).

Dusty doesn't require much brushing at all since his coat is smoother and not as dense. He probably gets a good brush about once a week just to control shedding.

So the answer is... it depends on your Golden. There are so many different colors, coats and looks to Goldens that what works for one doesn't necessarily work for the other. I do use a pin brush when they are dry and a wide toothed comb when they are wet. I also use an undercoat rake on Dixie to thin her coat without stripping it too bad.

Congratulations on your new Golden additions! Pictures please!!

.sarah
01-26-2006, 03:06 PM
You sure? :confused: When I had my Golden, we had to brush him daily.
I know quite a few people with Goldens and that's what they say. I've never owned one myself though so I can only use other people's experiences ;)

Jessika
01-26-2006, 05:44 PM
I would suggest a slicker and an undercoat rake :)