PDA

View Full Version : Ex smokers...tips wanted

Laura's Babies
01-26-2006, 10:31 AM
2006 is the year I have decided to try to quit smoking again.. Three prior attempts have failed due to gaining to much weight, to fast. At the company meeting in Nashville, they told us the company has a new policy, they will PAY for what ever it takes to get you off the cigarettes for however long it takes, what ever method you try.

This time I want to go into it prepared with as much information as I can get. I am TIRED of smoking and do not enjoy it at all and really want to quit. I plan to try to do it about in June so I can collect as much information as I can get and get educated on it.

1- What to do when the urge hits and you are having a fit for one...

2- How NOT to gain weight when I quit.

3-How to avoid shoving something in my mouth to compensate for that lack of "flavor" craveing..

Any hints? Anything you tried that worked, anything YOU would have done different?

I have been going to the Quit assist web sight and reading up and will keep going back and reading all I can to get my plan together but there is nothing like first hand information and what worked/didn't work for someone else.

anna_66
01-26-2006, 10:41 AM
Well first off...Congratulations!

I personally think that knowing your going to quit and REALLY wanting it is the key.

For years Mark (husband) tried on and off with the patches but in reality he never wanted to quit bad enough to stop for good. He went on and off like this for many years.
But finally last year just out of the blue he decided he was going to quit. He used the patch (if you decide on this method, don't buy the cheap ones. He said they are definitely NOT as good) and chewed lots and lots of gum (orbit seems to last the longest and they have lots of good flavors).

I pretty much quit on my own. There were a couple of times where I was so mad, angry and upset so I bought some of the nicorette. Yes, it's nasty but if you have a bad craving and are moody like I was it really works. I think I only chewed about 5-10 pieces of the box of 100 I bought (I'll send them to you if you want). I also ate a lot of hard candy when I felt the need for a cigarette. Honestly doing something to get your mind off it works best (for me it was the computer and PT;)).

That is our success secrets. Hope I've helped a bit and again, good luck!

catnapper
01-26-2006, 10:46 AM
I never smoked, but I want to congratulate you on trying to stop. I never tried to stop something I never started but I do know from friends just what a fight it is... and I know you can do it! You have a ton of support here! And just stop to think about how it affects your kitties, and how much they'll thank you for stopping!

GOOD LUCK! We're behind you!

JenBKR
01-26-2006, 11:15 AM
I chewed lots of gum and bought sugar free hard candy (lifesavers are good, jolly ranchers too). I didn't gain a pound. Although, when I decided to quit I had a cold and the thought of a cigarette when I am stuffed up makes me sick, so it was a good time I guess ;)

Laura's Babies
01-26-2006, 11:46 AM
I am saving these hints so keep them coming! Anna66, I will take that gum.. I did quit using it before but quit the gum and packed on the pounds so I picked the habit up again to keep frpm getting fat!

kuhio98
01-26-2006, 12:12 PM
Laura ~ Congratulations on deciding to quit. After watching my family and friends struggle to quit, I am so thankful I never picked up the habit. (My mother once had a boyfriend who was a recovering drug abuser. He said it was harder to stop smoking than it was to quit :eek: heroin! :eek: ) So, anything you can do to be prepared ahead of time will definitely help.

My father had success by cutting down gradually. He counted out his cigarettes for the day and cut down one cigarette per day until he had stopped. He chewed the gum for a while. My boss just quit cold turkey after going to 2 lung-cancer funerals in one week (one was a 40 year-old!) .

I know the weight gain isn't pleasant, but I have read that you would have to gain 100 pounds to replace the health risks associated with smoking. But, knowing that doesn't help when you're struggling to button your clothes. What I've heard is that you have to replace one habit with another. So, if you don't want to gain weight, you could take walks, ride a bike, etc. to get more exercise. You might also check out on-line support message boards. If your hands are busy typing, it will be harder to smoke. And your knitting will keep you busy. Good luck to you!

buttercup132
01-26-2006, 12:31 PM
My parents both got hypnotysed it took 2 sesions well one but they went back just to make sure. Thye havnt smoked now for like 3-4 years! When ever they get the craving they feel sick because that what the hypnotist .made it. I think it's better then going cold turkey.

davidpizzica
01-26-2006, 12:57 PM
Laura's babies, I believe in another thread that I said that January 31st will be my 24th anniversary of quitting smoking. I quit the roughest way possible, cold turkey. In 1982 when I quit, cigarettes were 65 cents a pack, which was one of the reasons. Secondly, I was getting so out of breath walking up hills. While I don't recommend cold turkey, that's the way I quit.

Logan
01-26-2006, 02:29 PM
All I can say is "good for you", Laura. I'm so glad that you are considering quitting. I've never been a smoker, but I have had to deal with weight issues, so I feel your pain. Hang in there and deal with what you need to in order to offset the weight gain issues. Stopping smoking will be the absolute best thing you've ever done for yourself.

If you didn't deal with the month long work ventures, I would say, "get a dog", and walk yourself crazy. I have 3 Golden Retrievers that would keep you busy! But I know this is not a solution for your current lifestyle.

Best of luck, my friend.

Logan

Corinna
01-26-2006, 02:34 PM
Ask Sue( Lv4dogs) She'll say just have our Gina"'s Ark come visit for a day . You'll qiut. She just has a way of getting you to stop.

lv4dogs
01-26-2006, 02:40 PM
Laura that is great news! I wish you only the very best of luck!

I did it the hard way, quit cold turkey. I'm still going strong though.

I chew lots of gum & eat lots of hard candy.

I have found that I actually have more time in the day. Not a LOT but enough to notice. Since I didn't smoke in my house I always went outside & did nothing, just sat there & smoked a cig. When I smoked I was busy all night or on the weekends all day, doing chores, taking care of the critters, smoking outside, etc.... Now that I quit I actually have extra time at night to watch tv, take a longer walk, go to bed earlier. Its amazing & I didn't even smoke a lot to begin with.

I just heard this on the radio this morning & it makes a lot of sense.
They say to look at your habits. Like for instance if you sit in the same spot every morning and drink your coffee & smoke a cig, move to a different spot drink your coffee & look out the window instead enjoying the outdoors & nature. If you smoke while you sit & watch TV try laying down instead or sit in a different chair. Instead of reading the paper & smoking a cig. take a brief walk. Etc....
I did that at work today, re-arranged some "habits" and boy not one craving so far.

lv4dogs
01-26-2006, 02:47 PM
Ask Sue( Lv4dogs) She'll say just have our Gina"'s Ark come visit for a day . You'll qiut. She just has a way of getting you to stop.

Yes she does.

She said to me that I should stop killing myself. I always knew smoking was killing me but I never had anyone say that to me. It really made me wake up. And as odd as it may seem, it really had an impact coming from someone that I didn't know all that well. To think that Gina cared that much about a "stranger" to actually tell me to stop killing myself really made me open my eyes.

Have you seen the smoking commercials with the blood clot in the aorta and the one where they show the lung tissue dying and the one where they squeeze the whitish/yellowis stuff out of some other artery (or some kind of vessel type thing). Boy oh boy those are just so gross. I think those would make any smoker quit!

Felix
01-26-2006, 02:51 PM
It will be a year for me in March :D

First of all one thing at a time.First you stop smoking than you worry about the weight later.I got the no smoking down pat,now I started today to loose the weight.Be patient.

A craving usually only lasts for about 5 minutes.Once I got a craving I would occupy myself and drink down a glass of water.(Lots of water will flush out all the bad toxins)This will get the craving off your mind and water will sastisfy you.They say to go and brush your teeth when a craving comes along as well.

When I was stressed.I would walk it off.

Reward yourself with the money you no longer waste on smokes.Buy something just for you.You deserve it. :)

In just a week you will notice an increase of flavor on food,increased sence of smell.Its just wonderful.You will truley be amazed.

Dont let that cigerette control you.Good luck with it.

Hope these tips are of some use to you.

Here is what they say happens to your body just after quitting for 20minutes than throughout the years....

Within 20 minutes after you smoke that last cigarette, your body begins a series of changes that continue for years.

20 Minutes After Quitting
Your heart rate drops.

12 hours After Quitting
Carbon monoxide level in your blood drops to normal.

2 Weeks to 3 Months After Quitting
Your heart attack risk begins to drop.
Your lung function begins to improve.

1 to 9 Months After Quitting
Your Coughing and shortness of breath decrease.

1 Year After Quitting
Your added risk of coronary heart disease is half that of a smoker’s.

5 Years After Quitting
Your stroke risk is reduced to that of a nonsmoker’s 5-15 years after quitting.

10 Years After Quitting
Your lung cancer death rate is about half that of a smoker’s.
Your risk of cancers of the mouth, throat, esophagus, bladder, kidney, and pancreas decreases.

15 Years After Quitting
Your risk of coronary heart disease is back to that of a nonsmoker’s.

jenluckenbach
01-26-2006, 03:09 PM
I never smoked so I am of no help with hints for you, but I will give you a hearty congratulation!!!!!!

My mom quit smoking (cold turkey) after it was already too late. :( she was dying of lung cancer. But even in her sad physical state, she could feel the difference after stopping. She could breathe better and it was the first time in my life that I had ever heard her NOT coughing.

I do know that the gum or hard candies are right on (especially peppermint).

Wishing you the very best of luck! {{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}

G535
01-26-2006, 04:24 PM
I also quit "cold turkey", never used patches or gum and didn't gain weight. You really have to want to quit for it to work, if you're only half-hearted about it then you will fail. As for the weight gain, that's just a myth, if you don't eat any more than you did as a smoker then you won't gain weight. The reason most people gain weight is that they eat more after giving up the smokes.

Good luck with it, you really can do it! :)

Crazy-Cat-Lover
01-26-2006, 04:33 PM
I am a smoker and totally hate doing this to my body. My only advice is, you have to want to quit to be successful, thats why I couldnt!

Good luck! :)

RedHedd
01-26-2006, 05:02 PM
I used the Nicorette gum and a 12-step Program - Smokers Anonymous - to help me quit. That was 18 years ago.

As for not gaining weight, I made it a priority. I watched what I ate like a hawk - even went to Weight Watchers which taught me how to eat healthy AND, most importantly, I worked out regularly. In fact I started working out like a fiend and ended up in better shape than before I quit smoking. It IS possible to quit smoking and not gain weight. Like others have said, you have to want to quit and want to do what's healthy and right for your body. Focus on the positive aspects and don't think of it as deprivation - what you're doing is a GOOD thing.

When a craving came up, initially the Nicorette gum worked and then I switched to sugarless Cinnamon gum. There's something about the cinnamon that helps cut the cravings, but be careful! I chewed so much cinnamon that I burned my mouth! Sucking on Cinnamon sticks also works for some people.

Laura's Babies
01-26-2006, 05:17 PM
Gee whiz! I never expected so many responses and so much advice! THANK you ALL and anybody else wanting to add to it, go on and do it!

The thing that REALLY made me decide that this is the year is, this year, I turn the big 6-0... Soon to be loking at retirement and I don't think I could afford it on retirement income. #2 reason is my son Eddie and the stuff that I saw coming out of him while in a coma, just in breathing. He was a light smoker when that explosion happened. His breath made the tape holding the ventalotor in his mouth, brown for about 10 days.. Needless to say, after 9 months in the hospital, he is a non smoker now and I would like to surprise him with my quitting the habit myself. His wife has also quit since his accident.

It is just the right time to do it, I have wanted to for years... (lets see if I still feel like this when my quit time draws nearer!)

G535
01-26-2006, 05:24 PM
You're starting off on the wrong foot already! You have to think positive even before you quit! :)

poofy
01-26-2006, 05:47 PM
I prayed for the desire to be taken from me 7 years ago and it was, but i chewed gum and sugar free gum, and still gained lots , n lots of weight, so im sure no help

Grace
01-26-2006, 06:32 PM
I was lucky. 7 years ago I got pneumonia. By the time I even thought about smoking, the physical cravings had pretty much disappeared. For about a year I had the occasional itch to smoke. Now I don't even think about it.

I think doing it when the weather is nice makes it easier - you can keep busy outdoors.

My b-i-l used the nicotine lollipops and they seemed to work well for him.

GOOD LUCK!!

catland
01-26-2006, 07:14 PM
Quitting is hard. I've been there. But it is one of the smartest decisions that I have ever made (starting smoking was one of the dumbest ones).

What helped me included:

Sugarless gum. I purchased Trident by the multi-pack. :eek:

A "cigarette" pacifier. I just took a small piece of paper and rolled it into the shape of a cigarette and put a piece of tape on it. A straw cut in two might work also. I could then go through the motions of holding, or even taking a drag off of a cigarette and this would look silly, but get me through a craving and help calm me down.

Throwing out any remaining cigarettes so that I wouldn't be tempted.

I think though, that the mental part of it is most important. You have to QUIT smoking - you can't delude yourself into "quitting" smoking. Either you are a smoker or you are not. The people that I've seen be the most successful are the ones who quit and don't look back. They don't bum a drag or a smoke from a friend or just cut down to one or two a day.

To paraphrase Yoda "Smoke or don't smoke - there is no try" :D

AbbyMom
01-26-2006, 08:19 PM
Quitting is hard

I disagree! Quitting is easy. I've done it at least a hundred times! :D

Seriously, I have not had a cigarette for 2-1/2 years. This time it's sticking. And the reason why is just what Catland says:

I think though, that the mental part of it is most important. You have to QUIT smoking - you can't delude yourself into "quitting" smoking. Either you are a smoker or you are not. The people that I've seen be the most successful are the ones who quit and don't look back. They don't bum a drag or a smoke from a friend or just cut down to one or two a day.

Once I said NO MORE NO MORE EVER! I was on the road to being smoke-free.

Laura, some people have a really, really, difficult time quitting because for them the addiction is part of their psyche...the physical part isn't the problem, it's the mental. It took at least a year for me to stop thinking about "having just one cigarette" especially when I was under stress.

When you're ready, put down that cigarette and say NO MORE EVER and mean it! NO cheating! No bumming! EVER!

Good luck to you. Sorry I can't help with the weight gain issue except to agree with the others that exercise is your best option.

Edwina's Secretary
01-26-2006, 09:31 PM
Next month will be five years since my husband and I quit. He used the gum... I used Zyban. It worked for me. I stopped wanting a cigarette in about two weeks. It was still VERY difficult but what a godsend for me!

Karen
01-26-2006, 09:55 PM
When is the "quit date?"

I have never smoked. I'm an asthmatic, have been since childhood, so always knew that for me, smoking would be a really painful, prolonged and stupid way to die!

I have watched and tried to be helpful when others quit.

One friend's doctor told her to throw away her lighter and any matches in the house. Then she could hold a cigarette in her mouth when she had a strong craving, but would have nothing to light it with.

Lollipops worked for another freind - they're cheap, and are vaguely similar in that you can hold the stem in your fingers like a cigarette if you want.

For everyone - diversion diversions, diversions. In your case, maybe buy a journal, and every time a strong craving hits, make yourself sit down and write out a page or story for your descendants to read someday - things you want great-great-grandbabies to know.

You also have an advantage - Pet Talk! We're all pulling for you!

sandragonfly
01-27-2006, 02:21 AM
first, I'm glad you are even thinking about quitting again instead of quit trying ((hugs)) ..

second, ! :eek: ...later in june?? really, what's difference from now and in june if, like catland, statisics said, and I strongly believe too, mentally quit is the biggest part of quitting? what would I have done different? how about YOU? :p

always remember, don't let a ciggy control over you! throw ALL matches, lighters, ciggies, ashtrays away..everything that attempts you out of your sight. NOW. (?) you can say carvings/headaches *are killing* you no matter how much you're trying to keep your mouth/hands busy or chewing (gums/candies), but it won't *kill* you. oh for the best, to keep our dear laura live longer! and would you be honored to promise all of us, if you walk and happen to see a puff/ciggy in sight, walk away immediately before even thinking about it, repeatly say "NO".."NO".."NO".., pull gum/squeezeball/mini-journal/cellphone and talk to a friend/a pretty picture of me? out of your purse (and think dearly about pet talk :D)...have you tried that? JUST SAY NO & JUST DO IT? if you haven't, I guess you don't really want as much as you thought so yet.

other methods you could think of, zillions of gums a day - one after another, smoke last not more than five ciggies, put them in a glass of water, leave them for seven days then take ciggies out and DRINK the whole. (yes, gross but what's worst are already in your lungs) or patches, they are expensive but some said cut them in half and works better than the whole one. once you accomplished, nicotine wouldn't be messing up your efforts of trying and lose weight.. the second importance?

laura, I know you can beat this, all I want to wish you the best and try! if it's impossible for you to start with NO, can you start at least set up a date? draw a down by one calender, five smokes a week down to four...three... two .. weekly? or set up meeting times regularly with your friends. you just gotta have to do something and look at to stick with!

one thing though, bothers me a lot is that not a lot of smokers realize when they're smoking are killing the others too. :(

laura - see my PM, please. :)

Laura's Babies
01-27-2006, 08:34 AM
Hi Gina, I had been waiting for your post. I had things to do last night and forgot to check this thread... Why June and not today?.. To better ARM myself through knolage. Get as informed as I CAN! A lot has been learned since the last time I tried to quit. I have even talked to a lung doctor since the last time about what method he sees the most sucess with. The one thing I have already learned is before, I was NOT armed or educated enough to know what I was doing and how to do it and be sucessful. There is so much more information out there now than there was just a few years ago. What worked for one, may not work for the other so I want as many options as I can get.

I want to get into some kind of fitness program BEFORE my quit date to make my odds even better and to keep the weight down afterwards. I am very limitted already as to what I can eat (IBS) to do the diet thing so I will have to go at that from a different angle.

If I seem skeptic to some it is because of my attempts before where I failed. That is why I am asking for hints and what someone else tried. When they time draws near, I am also going to ask for prayers and start asking God for help myself. I will ask him to guide me and keep me strong. Through HIM, all things are possiable!

Rachel
01-27-2006, 09:03 AM
Quote:

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
Watch your words; they become actions.
Watch your actions; they become habits.
Watch your habits; they become character.
Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.

Frank Outlaw

This quote was presented to me the other day (thank's to a dear friend's husband). I think it is very applicable in this situation. Your thoughts right now are somewhat negative. You need to be positive about your ability to do this and know that you can do it today, if you really want it bad enough.

Looking for strategies is a good idea. I have two which I used.
1. When you get the urge, think of all the negative aspects of smoking - that disgusting dirty feeling in your mouth, how your breath and clothing stink, all the damage that you are doing to your lungs, etc.

2. I replaced one habit with another. Everytime I wanted a cigarette, I got a cup of coffee instead. (not a good choice for me because it got my heart racing, but now I drink decaffinated tea instead). The process of boiling the water, steeping the tea and relishing the hot *cuppa* is comparable to the routine of lighting up a cigarette, except it is good for you! Plus it is not fattening.

I commend you for your intent to quit. I disagree with your discision to wait one more day. You must have faith in the Lord's willingness to help you and your own ability. You must make this a priority in your life. You must want the good that will come from it.

Pawsitive Thinking
01-27-2006, 09:09 AM
You're there already because you want to stop - that is all I needed. Good luck

Laura's Babies
01-27-2006, 10:46 AM
LOL! I have been researching and found the perfect sight that is loaded with information of all kinds on quitting They state there that the first thing to do is to educate yourself and in looking around, I discovered something already that I think few people know..

Blood sugar plummets in many people when first quitting. The most common side effects felt during the first three days can often be traced back to blood sugar issues

That is why you CRAVE things so bad.. Anyone wanting to check out this sight it is here..

http://whyquit.com/joel/Joel_Index_03_Quitting_Smoking.html

I think everything I need in in there. They are addressing everything in there. There is a TON of material there to read.