PDA

View Full Version : Naked Belly

Pominba
04-12-2002, 03:57 AM
My 15 year old tabby has started chewing the fur off of her belly. We don't think that she has a skin disorder, but rather it is a result of stress. We introduced another cat into the house about a year ago and we think she is reacting to it by chewing her fur. Has anyone else had a problem like this?

K & L
04-12-2002, 07:57 AM
Yes, we have a cat that did that for a while, only on her back. We had her tested for parasites, ring worm, etc. but it was all due to stress. She eventually quit doing this after we gave her extra attention and care.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-12-2002, 12:57 PM
Yes, Peanut does this to the back of her legs. She usually does it when there are cats roaming around outside. The outside cats get Tubby all riled up and Tubby takes it out on Peanut - stress. All you can do is find the source of the stress and do what you can to get rid of it. Sincel you recently introduced another cat, that is probably the cause and you might want to give her a little extra attention. You also might want to take her to the vet to rule out any health related stresses.

Good luck!

AmberLee
04-12-2002, 01:33 PM
Some time ago a friend had me cat sit her darling while she was away on a business trip. Also during this time, her home was having workmen in and out constantly (don't remember now if it was rewiring or redoing the kitchen...). Her poor darling was very stressed and started chewing the fur off her tail in a ring pattern. :eek: Eventually things got back to rights when the workmen left and my friend was home for her baby. But she blamed me for not looking after the cat well enough so that it got stressed (didn't do wonders for our friendship) ... :( :mad:

Per her vet, it is better to handle this stress related chewing as early as possible.

Good luck.

Pominba
04-13-2002, 02:46 AM
Thanks K & L, Tubby & Peanut's Mom, and AmberLee for your quick responses. We do think its stress and we have been trying to give her loads of attention. I guess its not easy for her since she had my husband all to herself for 12 years before the rest of us (1 human, 2 cats) came into her life. I guess I'd start chewing my hair out too if I was disrupted like that! I'm more than happy to give her more lovin's though...gonna squash her right now!

Thanks!

Sandy (Pominba's Mommy)

Former User
04-13-2002, 03:37 PM
Sandy, when did Poesie start chewing her fur off? Could it be that she's also stressed out from those works that are going on next doors? All that banging etc? Just a thought....