PDA

View Full Version : Bank Accounts and Routing Numbers

Jessika
01-25-2006, 07:50 PM
So I'm busy filing my taxes and all that jazz.. and I want to have my refund directly deposited into my savings account. I know the routing number to my checking account, but I don't have a book for my savings account (I do my banking online). I know my savings account number, but would the routing number be the same for both accounts? Both accounts are at the same bank. I think they are but I just want to make sure!

Cataholic
01-25-2006, 07:52 PM
Yikes. I can't swear to it, but, I **think** they might be slightly different. NOt the bank code part, but, the middle part. Why don't you just have it deposited into your checking, and then move it over to savings?

Jessika
01-25-2006, 07:56 PM
I know but I'm more prone to spending it if its in my checking versus savings :lol:

I may have to though :(

And what do you mean, "middle part"? Theres the routing number, and then the account number. I know the account number, and I know the routing number to my checking account (since I have checks) but I'm pretty sure the routing number is the same to my savings as my checkings since they're both at the same bank but I'm just not positive! :(

catnapper
01-25-2006, 08:12 PM
Ah, I know this one! The routing number is on the left hand side of the check betwen the two colons. so it might look like this :12345678: The routing number is the same for both your checking and savings account.

Your account number is next to it on the right.

Jessika
01-25-2006, 08:13 PM
No no, I know which is which. What I want to know is if its the same for my savings account as it is for my checking account ;)

zippy-kat
01-25-2006, 08:21 PM
I work in the financial industry and process transfers/deposits for clients almost daily. The best advice I can give is to check with your bank; the routing number is usually (though not always) different for checking and savings accounts.

Jessika
01-25-2006, 08:22 PM
OK thanks, that's what I needed to know. Well that kind of sucks since the bank is closed now. Maybe I can call their customer support though.

Thanks guys! ♥

catnapper
01-25-2006, 08:47 PM
The routing number is just the bank's local address, ir IS if you will with the banking tingiw at the govenrment (so technical I am!). So if you opened the account at the same bank, at the same branch. The routing numbers will be the same. If you opened the savings account at the branch on Elm stree and the checking account at the branch on Main street, they will be different.

Jessika
01-25-2006, 08:48 PM
The routing number is just the bank's local address, ir IS if you will with the banking tingiw at the govenrment (so technical I am!). So if you opened the account at the same bank, at the same branch. The routing numbers will be the same. If you opened the savings account at the branch on Elm stree and the checking account at the branch on Main street, they will be different.

OK that's what I thought, because I did open both accounts at the same branch and same bank. So they will be the same then? Thanks :D

Logan
01-26-2006, 09:12 AM
The routing number identifies the bank, not the account. But, with all the mergers of banks, sometimes you may have different routing numbers on accounts you have at the same bank. Definitely check with your bank, first, before you give the number to the IRS.

Jessika
01-26-2006, 05:23 PM
Well they wouldn't let me edit it after I typed the information into TurboTax :rolleyes: So I found a free website online via the IRS website that let me file both state and federal for free, and then I just chose direct deposit into my checking account instead since I KNOW for SURE the routing number to that one.