PDA

View Full Version : Queenscoopalot or anyone else who knows

doolittleky
01-25-2006, 02:46 PM
Kt_luvs_kitties needs to buy a trap to trap this sick cat feral cat near her house that she has been feeding. She found a trap in her Foster and Smith but it is kinda expensive and I know you can get them online for cheaper than what they have them in there for. Do you know a good brand of trap(I know some aren't that great). I always borrow the one from the animal group here in town when I need one and I don't know what brand there's is. Theres has a second door at the end that makes it alot easier for short armed people like me to put the bait at.
Melissa

lv4dogs
01-25-2006, 02:51 PM
It's a long shot but is she anywhere near upstate NY? I have one I can lend to her.

Hav-a-hart is an excellent brand. I can't remember but the one just for cats is a lot safer, something about it having duel doors and less of a chance of getting a leg stuck in the trap. (I thught for sure I heard that before).
Here's their website, comes with a store locator too:
http://www.havahart.com/

I have found the cheapest places are farm & tractor type supply stores. I'm not sure if they have websites as I don't recall any of them being nationwide, usually just local stores.

kuhio98
01-25-2006, 03:09 PM
I don't know the situation or much about traps, but instead of buying one, why doesn't she borrow one from a shelter? Our no-kill shelter loans them out all the time.

lv4dogs
01-25-2006, 03:34 PM
I don't know the situation or much about traps, but instead of buying one, why doesn't she borrow one from a shelter? Our no-kill shelter loans them out all the time.

A lot of places do not loan them out anymore. NONE of the vets or shelters within at least an hours radius from me loans them out anymore because they weren't getting returned. I even offered a deposit and they still denied me.

doolittleky
01-25-2006, 05:24 PM
Lv4dogs, Katie lives in NC but thanks for offering to lend yours out. Kuhio as luv4dogs said there is no one that lends them out where she is even for a deposit. If she tells animal control about the cat and they catch it they won't give it to her. So I am afraid she is stuck with buying one, which for her will be an investment since she rescues cats pretty regularly. But money is real tight for her right now so she might not be able to get it as soon as she would like. That is why I went online to see if I could find one cheaper that she could afford to get sooner.
Melissa

kb2yjx
01-25-2006, 06:58 PM
If there is an Agway by you, they usually sell them. Good luck!

moosmom
01-26-2006, 07:35 AM
Call any one of the shelters, even the ASPCA or Humane Society and see if they'll loan you a trap. They will probably request a refundable deposit (you'll get it back once you return the trap) and a driver's license. But it's better than having to buy one. That's what I did when LilEli fell out of my living room window.

lv4dogs
01-27-2006, 10:27 AM
Just wondering if she has found a trap yet?

If not can she get close enough to put a clothes basket over him? Or rig one up propped up with a stick tied to a string & just keep a watchfull eye, when he goes under it pull the string to pull the stick out to close the basket. If the basket is heavy enough though so the cat can't push himself right back out of it.
Might be worth a shot though if she has nothing.