PDA

View Full Version : Can Dogs Get Dandruff?

Roxyluvsme13
01-25-2006, 08:34 AM
Really can they? Because I think Lily has dandruff, and I know its her shampoo, if its dandruff. Oh and what shampoo would be good to help get rid of the dandruff? It would have to be something available at Petsmart, or Target, Walmart, Kmart, etc, because we dont have but ONE petstore. :p

lv4dogs
01-25-2006, 08:37 AM
They can get dandruff and you can use the selson blue shampoo for humans on dogs with certain skin issues like dandruff.

There are ways to help prevent it. Only bathing her when neccassary, making sure she is on a good food, during winter the dry air doesn't help either so she may need some extra oils in her food to help, like safflower oil. Only a tiny amount though as she is small. Too much can cause a loose stool.
I'd start her off with maybe a quarter of a teaspoon if she has no ill effects from it you can very slowly start to add a little more, if she developes loose stolls just reduce the amunt you are giving her.

JenBKR
01-25-2006, 08:38 AM
Yep they can - Roscoe doesn't get it but my kitties do sometimes in the winter. Just dry skin. I don't know what kind of shampoo to use though, hopefully someone else here can help with that. You might want to make sure that it's just dandruff first though because those little flakes could be flea or lice eggs too.

beeniesmom
01-25-2006, 08:38 AM
Of course they can!
The shampoo you are using is maybe drying her skin AND you should probably brush her more.

Roxyluvsme13
01-25-2006, 08:39 AM
Ok...She gets a bath about every 2 weeks, if I dont give her one t hen she starts to stink...Doesnt Olive Oil help dry skin, too??

Kfamr
01-25-2006, 08:41 AM
A lot of dogs, like humans, get dry skin in the winter time.

My dogs get baths weekly and the only time Kiara has had flakes in her fur was when we were up in the mountains in Utah. Very dry rigid area and it totally messed with her skin! :p

What food is she being fed? That could easily be it too.

Roxyluvsme13
01-25-2006, 08:43 AM
Her shampoo isnt the best for her. (It's baby shampoo) I only used it because she couldnt use the puppy ones till 12 weeks, but I will be buying her some DOG shampoo or Selsum Blue or SOMETHING to help her dandruff. Its also really dry here, and that could be part of it too...Oh and like Carmen said, I should brush her more.

Roxyluvsme13
01-25-2006, 08:44 AM
What food is she being fed? That could easily be it too.
Dog Food Wise-Purina Pro Plan Small Breed Puppy
Human Food Wise-Cheese :p

Kfamr
01-25-2006, 08:45 AM
Dog Food Wise-Purina Pro Plan Small Breed Puppy
Human Food Wise-Cheese :p

Ah, see.. years ago when my dogs were fed Purina their coats/skin weren't as nice as they are now. That COULD be a part of it, but I would wait until winter is over, as I think the dry air is probably the cause of it.

lv4dogs
01-25-2006, 08:46 AM
Y You might want to make sure that it's just dandruff first though because those little flakes could be flea or lice eggs too.

Well they can't be lice. Lice are species spacific & only bother humans.

Doesnt Olive Oil help dry skin, too??
Yes it does but it isn't as good as safflower oil or other oils like omega 3-6 &/or 9. (IF I remember right some of the omega oils are better than others, hopefully someone will chime in on this one).

buttercup132
01-25-2006, 08:47 AM
ya Rockee has dandruf

Roxyluvsme13
01-25-2006, 08:47 AM
Ah, see.. years ago when my dogs were fed Purina their coats/skin weren't as nice as they are now. That COULD be a part of it, but I would wait until winter is over, as I think the dry air is probably the cause of it.
Lilys breeder recommended Pro Plan, she said it was the best for them...Its a sort of good quality food, but it has some nasty ingredients. Maybe I can convince my mom to switch to something like Nutro...
EDIT:Theres like NO Way I can convince my mom to spend $21 on Nutro...(At least thats how much it is at Petsmart) What other foods would be better?

Roxyluvsme13
01-25-2006, 08:49 AM

Yes it does but it isn't as good as safflower oil or other oils like omega 3-6 &/or 9. (IF I remember right some of the omega oils are better than others, hopefully someone will chime in on this one).
Where can you buy the Omega oils? :confused:

lv4dogs
01-25-2006, 08:59 AM
Isn't pro plan kind of expensive too? At least in my area it is about the same price as Nutro.

Omega oils can be found in just about any store. Pet stores carry them and you can find them in with the vitamin supplements at Walmart & the like even your vet will have some & no appointment is needed!
Pet stores & vets often have different kinds of skin & coat supplements, like linatone, lipaderm, derm caps, vitacoat avoderm, etc...

I THINK it is the omega 6&3 that is better than the 9, but again I am not certain.

Roxyluvsme13
01-25-2006, 09:01 AM
Isn't pro plan kind of expensive too? At least in my area it is about the same price as Nutro.

Omega oils can be found in just about any store. Pet stores carry them and you can find them in with the vitamin supplements at Walmart & the like even your vet will have some & no appointment is needed!
Pet stores & vets often have different kinds of skin & coat supplements, like linatone, lipaderm, derm caps, vitacoat avoderm, etc...

I THINK it is the omega 6&3 that is better than the 9, but again I am not certain.
Yeah, Pro Plan's about $12-15...I'll have to look at Petsmart this weekend. I am going to convince my mom to go :p

beeniesmom
01-25-2006, 09:12 AM
Ok...She gets a bath about every 2 weeks, if I dont give her one t hen she starts to stink...Doesnt Olive Oil help dry skin, too??

Don't bathe her but once a month unless she gets into something yucky. Especially in winter. And yes, olive oil is probaby better. But just a teaspoon in her food everyother day.

JenBKR
01-25-2006, 09:21 AM

Aren't there lice for animals? Belle had lice when she was a baby, at least that's what the vet said she had - he said she had 'kitty lice"

Roxyluvsme13
01-25-2006, 09:22 AM
I didnt know animals could get lice...I'm pretty sure Lilys is dandruff though

Jessika
01-25-2006, 11:55 AM
Lilys breeder recommended Pro Plan, she said it was the best for them...Its a sort of good quality food, but it has some nasty ingredients. Maybe I can convince my mom to switch to something like Nutro...
EDIT:Theres like NO Way I can convince my mom to spend $21 on Nutro...(At least thats how much it is at Petsmart) What other foods would be better?

In my experiences, ProPlan cost just as much, if not more, than Nutro products! I think Nutro is maybe $1 more than ProPlan for the 16lb bags. But you must remember ProPlan sells 16lb bags for a dollar less and Nutro sells 20lb bags (but I believe both sell 8lb bags) so really for $1 you're getting 4 more pounds of food. and I work at PetCo so.. unless Petsmart prices vary GREATLY from PetCos (and I don't believe they are that much different) than maybe you're mistaken?

I don't recommend ProPlan though. I had Charlie on it and he had dandruff and dry skin and was scratching CONSTANTLY. Not to mention his allergies acted up more while on it, too. Since switching to Nutro Lamb Meal & Rice, and then to their Chicken Meal, Rice, and Oatmeal (or something like that) his skin and coat are SO much better and he hardly scratches at ALL anymore! No more runny eyes, either!

lv4dogs
01-25-2006, 12:42 PM
Aren't there lice for animals? Belle had lice when she was a baby, at least that's what the vet said she had - he said she had 'kitty lice"

Lice can be found in animals, it's very rare in domesticated animals though, and even pretty rare in wildlife. And even when they do get it it rarely causes any harm what so ever & usually goes away on it's own in just a short time. Lice found on animals can not be transfered to humans.

Don't bathe her but once a month unless she gets into something yucky. Especially in winter. And yes, olive oil is probaby better. But just a teaspoon in her food everyother day.

I couldn't agree more. Bath even less if you can. My guys only get about 2-3 baths per year, most of the baths are because they get into something yucky. If they don't get into anything at all they only get 2 baths a year, one in tthe begining of winter (I was really late at that one this year) and again in the spring/summer.

Husky_mom
01-25-2006, 12:46 PM
if you say she gets stinky mayeb you can get a hair product to clean the hair and not wet the skin which is what causes the dryness of it........

JenBKR
01-25-2006, 12:57 PM
Lice can be found in animals, it's very rare in domesticated animals though, and even pretty rare in wildlife. And even when they do get it it rarely causes any harm what so ever & usually goes away on it's own in just a short time. Lice found on animals can not be transfered to humans.

Ah, Ok, I understand now!

Roxyluvsme13
01-25-2006, 01:04 PM
Maybe we will start her on Nutro...and...I'll get her a new shampoo this weekend. Honestly we have to bathe her every 2 weeks because she gets into everything. By the time her 2 week bath time is there she has all kinds of stuff in her fur :p

beeniesmom
01-25-2006, 01:06 PM
Maybe we will start her on Nutro...and...I'll get her a new shampoo this weekend. Honestly we have to bathe her every 2 weeks because she gets into everything. By the time her 2 week bath time is there she has all kinds of stuff in her fur :p

Just try brushing her every day or every other day and you'll see she will keep cleaner too.

Roxyluvsme13
01-25-2006, 01:07 PM
Ok...I'm supposed to brush her everyday anyways...

lv4dogs
01-25-2006, 01:33 PM
What kinds of stuff are in her fur?

A bath every 2 weeks is way too often.

If she gets yucky from pottying can you slightly trim the hair around her anus & privates? Even a little trim will help a lot.

Brushing will keep her pretty clean.

If she just smells how about a gentle doggy calogne? Or just a quick wipe with a baby wipe?

They make products that help repel dirt, debris, urine, feces, etc.... on dogs. They are almost like armor all for your dog. lol They work great!
Some names are:
The Stuff
ice on ice

There is another brand that I love but haven't seen in about a year it is called something gold or gold something, I have a tiny bit left in a bottle at home I'll have to remember to check it.

Roxyluvsme13
01-25-2006, 01:35 PM
What kinds of stuff are in her fur?

A bath every 2 weeks is way too often.

If she gets yucky from pottying can you slightly trim the hair around her anus & privates? Even a little trim will help a lot.

Brushing will keep her pretty clean.

If she just smells how about a gentle doggy calogne? Or just a quick wipe with a baby wipe?

They make products that help repel dirt, debris, urine, feces, etc.... on dogs. They are almost like armor all for your dog. lol They work great!
Some names are:
The Stuff
ice on ice

There is another brand that I love but haven't seen in about a year it is called something gold or gold something, I have a tiny bit left in a bottle at home I'll have to remember to check it.
Eh....everything! I'll brush her more often, and I will have ot get her some doggy cologne. Nothing about her pottying that gets stuff in here fur. It actually stays pretty clean, because I keep her hair brushed away from her hiney. I'll just have ot make a trip to Petsmart this weekend! :D

Jessika
01-25-2006, 01:53 PM
There are also little wipes you can buy for a quick clean that will clean her fur without giving her a bath. I know they sell them at PetCo and I can't imagine they wouldn't have them at Petsmart, too. Look in the grooming aisle, they sell them in plastic packages that almost look like diaper wipe refills that you get for babies :)

Roxyluvsme13
01-25-2006, 02:01 PM
There are also little wipes you can buy for a quick clean that will clean her fur without giving her a bath. I know they sell them at PetCo and I can't imagine they wouldn't have them at Petsmart, too. Look in the grooming aisle, they sell them in plastic packages that almost look like diaper wipe refills that you get for babies :)
Yeah, I've seen those...But really why's giving her a bath every 2 weeks bad? :confused:

.sarah
01-25-2006, 02:03 PM
Yeah, I've seen those...But really why's giving her a bath every 2 weeks bad? :confused:
That can make dry skin worse in some cases. It takes all of the natural oils out of their coat.

Roxyluvsme13
01-25-2006, 02:06 PM
That can make dry skin worse in some cases. It takes all of the natural oils out of their coat.
OH...not even if you used special shampoo?

Jessika
01-25-2006, 02:06 PM
SOMETIMES giving a bath frequently is not a problem so long as you use a VERY mild shampoo (such as Dawn Dishsoap, etc). Normally frequent bathing strips the coat and skin of its natural oils though, as .sarah mentioned. The natural oils are vital to healthy skin and coat, so without them the hair can become dry and brittle and break easily and you can have skin problems, as you're experiencing now.

Since in winter you're especially prone to dry skin, the natural oils are even more vital! So less frequent bathing in winter, and then maybe in the summer once you get the skin problem taken care of you can start bathing her more frequently again.

I only bathe my two once a month, though. If they start smelling, I just spray them with some conditioning doggy cologne :)

Roxyluvsme13
01-25-2006, 02:08 PM
Ok, so less bathing in the winter...and I think I may have convinced my mom to switch to Nutro! (If Lily likes it) A 20 pound bag would last a REALLY long time for Lily...so we may be switching :D

K9karen
01-25-2006, 11:21 PM
Logan had dandruff when I adopted her. I started putting extra virgin olive oil in her food, mixing it well, and viola! No more white stuff. I try to brush her every other day or at least once a week. Soft as silk and glossy.

Uabassoon
01-25-2006, 11:56 PM
but I will be buying her some DOG shampoo or Selsum Blue or SOMETHING to help her dandruff.

Do NOT use selsum blue or any other human dandruff shampoo! It has chemicals that can be left behind on their coat which could be posinous if she licks it off!

As for oils I like Omega-3. I live in the desert, so it's super dry here especially in the winter. Tibby (my cat) will sometimes get problems with dandruff so I add a little Omega-3 to her diet and it works very well.

Crazy-Cat-Lover
01-26-2006, 02:52 AM
Dogs can get lice, lice lay nits on the hair which are visible to the naked eye. They pose no harm to any other animal, they are species specific. There is also the dreadful "walking dandruff". Yes It looks as though the dandruff is walking, unfortunately, this is caused by the movement of Cheyletiella mites motoring around under the scales.

These can only be diagnosed by a veterinarian, but dont worry, it is probably just dry skin. Does she have thickened skin? Or slight loss of hair? Is she itchy?

lv4dogs
01-26-2006, 08:09 AM
Do NOT use selsum blue or any other human dandruff shampoo! It has chemicals that can be left behind on their coat which could be posinous if she licks it off!

As for oils I like Omega-3. I live in the desert, so it's super dry here especially in the winter. Tibby (my cat) will sometimes get problems with dandruff so I add a little Omega-3 to her diet and it works very well.

With any shampoo you are supposed to rinse VERY well. (hey maybe that is part of her problem???) Are you rinsing her well after each bath?
I know of a lot of vets that reccomend selsum blue for dandruff problems & have never heard of any ill affects.

Thanks for letting us know what Omega oil is the best. :) I coulnd't remember what one.

Roxyluvsme13
01-26-2006, 12:05 PM
Dogs can get lice, lice lay nits on the hair which are visible to the naked eye. They pose no harm to any other animal, they are species specific. There is also the dreadful "walking dandruff". Yes It looks as though the dandruff is walking, unfortunately, this is caused by the movement of Cheyletiella mites motoring around under the scales.

These can only be diagnosed by a veterinarian, but dont worry, it is probably just dry skin. Does she have thickened skin? Or slight loss of hair? Is she itchy?
Shes VERY itchy...it could be a slight case of fleas...(But dont worry we're getting flea meds tomorrow) No hair loss...Thickened skin?? Not sure...

Roxyluvsme13
01-26-2006, 12:06 PM
With any shampoo you are supposed to rinse VERY well. (hey maybe that is part of her problem???) Are you rinsing her well after each bath?
I know of a lot of vets that reccomend selsum blue for dandruff problems & have never heard of any ill affects.

Thanks for letting us know what Omega oil is the best. :) I coulnd't remember what one.
I rinse her, then rinse her again and I do this about 2 times, as I dont want the soap to still be there/...

Vela
01-26-2006, 12:29 PM
Honestly, the best things you can do is to get rid of the fleas if she does have them (do watch her closely for any signs of problems with the flea meds, they CAN sometimes make them sick so when you give to her make sure you watch her closely), use a nice oatmeal based shampoo made for dogs (its really ont expensive and she's realy tiny anyway, don't need much), give her a healthy diet, brush her daily, and don't overbathe (she really doesn't need more than once a month unless somethign happens). If those things alone don't clear it up then it may be a medical issue and she would need to see a vet but it should help. Also someone mentioned those baby wipe types of cleaners you can get at the pet store, they wash the outside and dont get to the skin to cause dryness.

Also just for info sake a lot of the flea meds you can buy in the regular stores have caused LOTS of problems with dogs, even large ones. So I really really would suggest getting one your vet recommends even if it is more expensive. The others are insecticide, poison, and with Lily being so tiny, I would really hate to see something happen to her. I'm not trying to be a know it all honestly, but it's just really risky and I'd hate to see it cause her to be very sick or even die. I'm not making it up I promise.

Roxyluvsme13
01-26-2006, 12:34 PM
Oh dont worry, we never use the store stuff on her! WE used Advantage or K-9 Advantage (I dont remember which one) the first time we gave her flea medicine. I hope that she likes Nutro, if she does we'll start feeding it. I think she would still need the puppy food though? Or could we go ahead and buy the adult? She just turned 15 weeks old today. She has a vet appointment tomorrow, and we are going to ask about when she can be spayed, too.

Husky_mom
01-26-2006, 12:37 PM
of course keep her on puppy until a year or more, it varies on breeds, some util 2 years, but anyway keep her on puppy....

Vela
01-26-2006, 12:38 PM
Oh good I'm glad you don't use the store stuff, a lot of times people do because they just don't realize how dangerous it is. That makes me feel better. Most of the time a puppy doesn't really need puppy food, they are usualy fine with adult but because she is to tiny it reallymight depend on teh size of the adult. It may be too big for her to eat comfortably even if the nutrition aspect was okay with it. My dogs never had puppy food, they had all life stages like canidae and had adult chicken soup but I don't know about Nutro, never used it myself, so I don't know about the size chunks, might be good to stick with the puppy to start.

Roxyluvsme13
01-26-2006, 01:01 PM
Oh good I'm glad you don't use the store stuff, a lot of times people do because they just don't realize how dangerous it is. That makes me feel better. Most of the time a puppy doesn't really need puppy food, they are usualy fine with adult but because she is to tiny it reallymight depend on teh size of the adult. It may be too big for her to eat comfortably even if the nutrition aspect was okay with it. My dogs never had puppy food, they had all life stages like canidae and had adult chicken soup but I don't know about Nutro, never used it myself, so I don't know about the size chunks, might be good to stick with the puppy to start.
Ok! If she doesnt like Nutro...then oh well...:p We're used the store stuff on Roxy...but we are going to go back to the vet stuff, because the store stuff doesnt help Roxy that much.

lv4dogs
01-26-2006, 01:49 PM
You may be able to find samples of the Nutro at your pet store, if you don't see it then ask a sales associate.

Maybe start her off on a small bag? I think they are 8lbs. :confused:

Roxyluvsme13
01-26-2006, 01:52 PM
You may be able to find samples of the Nutro at your pet store, if you don't see it then ask a sales associate.

Yeah...thats what we were going to do...I'll have to mix it in with her Pro Plan at first.

Jessika
01-26-2006, 05:19 PM

Yup, their smallest for dog food is in an 8lb bag :D

Good luck!

beeniesmom
01-26-2006, 07:11 PM
Yup, their smallest for dog food is in an 8lb bag :D

Good luck!

no, the smallest is 5 lb bag. :)
that's what i buy

CarrieB
01-26-2006, 09:52 PM
Willow also has dandruff, and since she has black her it shows up a lot, but when I look at her skin under her fur it looks like it itches a lot too.. does it?

Jessika
01-26-2006, 09:56 PM
no, the smallest is 5 lb bag. :)
that's what i buy

Then we don't have them here O_o

BC_MoM
01-26-2006, 10:10 PM
Are you guys talking about the Nutro dog food? That's what the pound gave us a free bag of when we adopted Molly..

Her body SO did not agree with it. She had bad gas, her poops stank, and she had horrible dandruff.

We switched her over to Purina One Puppy Chow and her poops don't stink, the gas is gone, and so is the dandruff. :D

But that doesn't mean Lily (and Roxy?) won't do great on it. :D

Tollers-n-Dobes
01-26-2006, 10:12 PM
Are you guys talking about the Nutro dog food? That's what the pound gave us a free bag of when we adopted Molly..

Her body SO did not agree with it. She had bad gas, her poops stank, and she had horrible dandruff.

What kind did she have? Nutro Natural Choice is the only food my dogs can eat without getting sick it seems.

BC_MoM
01-26-2006, 10:16 PM
What kind did she have? Nutro Natural Choice is the only food my dogs can eat without getting sick it seems.

I think it was the Nutro puppy stuff.. not sure what it was called actually. So, it could have just been too rich for her.

Jessika
01-26-2006, 10:19 PM
I've actually never heard of a shelter giving away Nutro before with their pets. Usually you get stuff like, Purina One or Puppy Chow for free from the shelters hehe

BC_MoM
01-26-2006, 10:22 PM
lol, really? I didn't even know shelters gave away free bags of food at ALL. We didn't get one with Mickey. lol

Jessika
01-26-2006, 10:23 PM
Well like they'll send you home with a little LITTLE bag to get you started usually haha

Vela
01-27-2006, 07:03 AM

Nutro Natural Choice is the only high quality version of Nutro food. Probably why your dogs do well on it. It is the only one of the Nutro foods on the Whole Dog Journal list of recommended foods. The other Nutro products are not really much better than the other stuff you can get at any place.

Roxyluvsme13
01-27-2006, 07:46 AM
Honestly, my mom said we should keep her on her Purina Pro Plan. Her breeder said she researched and that it was the best for her, and Lily's sort of picky. So I dont know if we will be switching or not. I'd love to switch Roxy over to it, shes not picky at all, but the problem is that'd be like $42 every month on dog food for her. *sigh* I dont know, but we are getting Lily some good quality shampoo and other stuff today at Petsmart.

BitsyNaceyDog
01-27-2006, 07:50 AM
Nutro Natural Choice is the only high quality version of Nutro food. Probably why your dogs do well on it. It is the only one of the Nutro foods on the Whole Dog Journal list of recommended foods. The other Nutro products are not really much better than the other stuff you can get at any place.

Not true. Nutro Max is the 'lowest' of the Nutro foods, but it's still way better than most grocery store foods. Nutro Natural Choice is better than Max, but still not the best quality food Nutro offers. Nutro Ultra is the highest quality food by Nutro.

lv4dogs
01-27-2006, 07:53 AM
but the problem is that'd be like $42 every month on dog food for her.

I don't even spend $42 on my 2 (Nanook & Raustyk) that are on Nutro every month and they are WAY bigger than Lilly. lol
One large bag, 35lbs which is about $28 (maybe about $30 after taxes) lasts me all month long with those 2.

Roxyluvsme13
01-27-2006, 07:55 AM
I don't even spend $42 on my 2 (Nanook & Raustyk) that are on Nutro every month and they are WAY bigger than Lilly. lol
One large bag, 35lbs which is about $28 (maybe about $30 after taxes) lasts me all month long with those 2.
I meant Roxy :p We buy about 2 bags a month of dog food for her.
EDIT:But a 35 pound bag might last...but I dont think I saw those at Petsmart? and my moms wouldnt switch Roxys dog food...most likely.

lv4dogs
01-27-2006, 08:11 AM
I meant Roxy :p We buy about 2 bags a month of dog food for her.
EDIT:But a 35 pound bag might last...but I dont think I saw those at Petsmart? and my moms wouldnt switch Roxys dog food...most likely.

Oh lol, I thought you were talking about Lilly. :p

But still Roxy is half the size of Nanook or Raustyk. BUT she is outside so she does need to eat more but even still it should last you a little longer. You don't have to feed as much if it is a decent breand, there isn't as many fillers & the such so your dog uses more of the nutrients instead of pooping them out the other end. :p

What brand of food is she on now?

Roxyluvsme13
01-27-2006, 08:13 AM
Oh lol, I thought you were talking about Lilly. :p

But still Roxy is half the size of Nanook or Raustyk. BUT she is outside so she does need to eat more but even still it should last you a little longer. You don't have to feed as much if it is a decent breand, there isn't as many fillers & the such so your dog uses more of the nutrients instead of pooping them out the other end. :p

What brand of food is she on now?
Food Lion Kibbles and Bits :o I didnt start her on it. My grandpa used ot buy her food and everything, so hes the one that got her on it. I never realized how bad it was. But its horrible stuff. Oh and she gets a can of Alpo. :o Which is also really really gross. I want to switch her so bad.

BitsyNaceyDog
01-27-2006, 08:49 AM
Honestly, my mom said we should keep her on her Purina Pro Plan. Her breeder said she researched and that it was the best for her, and Lily's sort of picky. So I dont know if we will be switching or not. I'd love to switch Roxy over to it, shes not picky at all, but the problem is that'd be like $42 every month on dog food for her. *sigh* I dont know, but we are getting Lily some good quality shampoo and other stuff today at Petsmart. Just because the breeder said that's what's best, doesn't mean that it's actually best. Each dog is different. Even 2 poms from the same breeder can be very different. My pom has very bad allergies and could never be on Pro Plan, she'd be constantly itchy.

Also, the foods cost about the same, so you'll spend the same no matter which food you feed.Nutro Natural Choice (http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444177 6179&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302033126&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023689&bmUID=1138369947831) costs $20.99 for 20 lbs. Pro Plan (http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444177 6180&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302032942&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023689&bmUID=1138371794398) costs only a dollar less, $19.99 for 20 lbs. Also 20 lbs. should last her a lot longer than 2 weeks. My 5 dogs eat about one 15 lb. bag of food each month between all of them.

Also just for info sake a lot of the flea meds you can buy in the regular stores have caused LOTS of problems with dogs, even large ones. So I really really would suggest getting one your vet recommends even if it is more expensive. The others are insecticide, poison, and with Lily being so tiny, I would really hate to see something happen to her. I'm not trying to be a know it all honestly, but it's just really risky and I'd hate to see it cause her to be very sick or even die. I'm not making it up I promise.The flea meds that Walmart and other stores (even pet stores) sell don't work as well either. You should still be careful with Advantage, K-9 Advantix, Frontline, or any flea medacine, they can still make an animal sick. My cat, Oliver, can't be on those kind of flea prevention, as they make him sick.

Lastly, as for bathing and shampoos. I only bathe my dogs about once a month, unless they really need it. Except for Bitsy, my pom, I need to bathe her at least weekly because of her allergies. I use an oatmeal and tea tree oil shampoo. She's never had dry skin though. You said Lily was itchy, if she's itching because of the dry skin than don't bath her too often. If it's allergies she's itching from (which I don't think it is) than she should be bathed more often to get the allergens out of her fur. Also dogs with double coats, like poms, are a pain to rinse out, their fur really likes to hold the shampoo. Be sure to rinse and rinse until it is without a doubt all out.

Roxyluvsme13
01-27-2006, 08:51 AM
I meant Roxy needs like 2 bags of food every month. I want to switch her more than I do Lily. I agree, Poms are a pain to rinse :p

lv4dogs
01-27-2006, 08:56 AM
Just because the breeder said that's what's best, doesn't mean that it's actually best. Each dog is different.

Exactly. Kaiges breeder fed ProPlan. I can't stand ProPlan.
I noticed when I got Kaige he has a few slight red bumps on his belly and noticed that he had slight problems with his anal glands. The problems were just barely starting but they were there. Raustyk had those same symptoms & a LOT more when she was on ProPlan years & years ago when it first came out. I switched Kaiges food and viola within just a few days the bumps were gone, within a week or two no more anal gland problems.

I did a study on ProPlan years ago when Raustyk had all those problems and found that a lot of other dogs had similar or the same problems on proplan.

I am not saying every dog will have those problems, but I am saying that ProPlanis not the best food AND that also each dog is different. What is good for one dog may not be good for another no matter how decent of a brand.

Roxyluvsme13
01-27-2006, 08:59 AM
Well, yeah...Lily's doing great on it though. She hasnt had any problems or anything except the dandruff, which I honesly think its from her shampoo.

Vela
01-27-2006, 12:03 PM
Not true. Nutro Max is the 'lowest' of the Nutro foods, but it's still way better than most grocery store foods. Nutro Natural Choice is better than Max, but still not the best quality food Nutro offers. Nutro Ultra is the highest quality food by Nutro.

Actually you are right, I got the two mixed up in my head=x The Ultra is their highest quality line and I would choose that if possible. Thank you for fixing my mistake=)

The flea meds that Walmart and other stores (even pet stores) sell don't work as well either. You should still be careful with Advantage, K-9 Advantix, Frontline, or any flea medacine, they can still make an animal sick. My cat, Oliver, can't be on those kind of flea prevention, as they make him sick.

You are correct about this as well, I actually don't use any products of this kind, I just was trying to make sure they were at least consulting with a vet about using a flea med rather than getting one from Petco or Petsmart or somewhere like that, because that is even much more dangerous.

Roxyluvsme13
01-27-2006, 02:04 PM
Actually you are right, I got the two mixed up in my head=x The Ultra is their highest quality line and I would choose that if possible. Thank you for fixing my mistake=)

You are correct about this as well, I actually don't use any products of this kind, I just was trying to make sure they were at least consulting with a vet about using a flea med rather than getting one from Petco or Petsmart or somewhere like that, because that is even much more dangerous.
We consulted the vet...:p

Vela
01-27-2006, 02:10 PM
I know you did, I wasn't directing the post at you, I was directing it at KBlaix. You had already said you were taking her to the vet for flea medications.

Roxyluvsme13
01-27-2006, 04:10 PM
I know you did, I wasn't directing the post at you, I was directing it at KBlaix. You had already said you were taking her to the vet for flea medications.
Ohh...We got her Revolution for Heartworm and Flea. :) We also bought some DVM shampoo at the vet. It was what the Vet recommended, so thats what we got.

Vela
01-27-2006, 05:22 PM
That's good, hopefully her dandruff problem will clear up fast with that shampoo.

Roxyluvsme13
01-27-2006, 05:31 PM
Yeah, Im getting ready to go give her a bath :D