PDA

View Full Version : - Lets Talk About Food -

Crazy-Cat-Lover
01-25-2006, 02:43 AM
I love food, so I thought I would make a thread to post all food topics. Firstly, what is your favorite show on the Food Network? I like Chef at Home, Everyday Italian, 30 Minute Meals and Sugar. There are only a few shows that I cant stand, Iron Chef being on of them. Next post your favorite recipe, or your favorite food. Mmmmm.... I am getting hungry!

My favorite recipe - this one is requested most. Try these and you will be addicted! They are rich, with the perfect blend of flavours.

Garlic-Lemon Double Stuffed Chicken

oil, for greasing pan
8 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, cut into 1/2 inch slices
1 (8 ounce) package Cheddar cheese, cut into 1/2 inch slices
1 cup milk
1 1/2 cups Italian seasoned bread crumbs
1/2 cup grated Romano cheese
1 tablespoon minced garlic
3/4 cup butter, melted
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt, or to taste
1/2 teaspoon paprika (optional)

DIRECTIONS:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly coat a large, shallow baking dish with oil.

2. Butterfly each breast by slicing in half horizontally through the center, cutting almost but not completely through. Place one slice each of Cheddar and cream cheese in the center of each breast. Close again as if placing between the pages of a book. Set aside.

3. Pour milk into a shallow bowl. In a separate bowl, combine breadcrumbs and Romano cheese. Carefully dip each breast first in milk, then in breadcrumb mixture, patting lightly to firmly coat. Place breasts side by side in a single layer in pre-oiled baking dish, tucking edges under to seal.

4. Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir in lemon juice and garlic, and drizzle evenly over chicken. Season breasts with garlic salt and paprika, if using.

5. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until no longer pink in center and juices run clear.

ENJOY!

I am planning on making roast beef for dinner, probably with popovers or yorkshire pudding and mashed potatoes with some veggies. Does anyone have tips on how to keep a roast moist and tender? I am using a tender roast, but last time I cooked this cut, it was dry? I cooked it for 4 hours on 250 degrees fahrenheit.

Any tips will be greatly appreciated. :) :D

Pam
01-25-2006, 06:21 AM
Your recipe made my mouth water. I have done chicken very similar to this and agree it is delicious. Nowadays, I am watching my cholesterol so I either have to give these types of recipes up completely or doctor them a bit.

You don't say what cut of roast you made or how large it was. Maybe your oven is not calibrated correctly?? I am afraid I am not much help there, but I do have two things that I do with leftover roast beef (which we always have when I do a roast).

1) Slice it down thin (I have a food slicer that I wouldn't be able to do without) and heat it up with canned gravy and serve inside nice yummy rolls. :)

or

2) Cut the roast into very small bite size pieces and make beef noodle soup. Just boil your noodles, add beef and a can or two of beef broth.

This will be a way to get rid of the leftover dry roast beef that you made, as further cooking like this will not dry it out even more. Yes, canned gravies and canned beef/chicken broths are staples on my shelf! LOL!

Vela
01-25-2006, 06:45 AM
Actually if you want a tender roast you need to cook it hot and fast generally. The long slow cooking actually dehdrates your food, that's how they make jerky. You should light oil, salt and pepper the outside of the roast and heat it on all sides in a skillet on high heat to sear the outside. This helps maintain moisture. You should preheat the oven to 450 degrees and cook on that heat for half an hour, turn down to 375. It seals the juices in. Also, when it's done cooking let it rest for about 15 minutes under a tinfoil tent. This helps the juices redistribute through the meat rather than pouring out as much when you cut into it. Depending on the weight of the roast and how you like the meat doneness, this can take around 45 minutes to an hour and a half or so. Which cut of meat are you using? Medium rare is 130 degrees in the middle, if you like it more well done cook to 135-140 degrees internal temperature with a thermometer. A 5-6 pound roast takes about 1-1/2 hours to 1 hour 45 minutes or so to get to medium, maybe a bit longer, best way to tell is with a thermometer. Also, take the meat out about 5 degrees less than you want it as it will finish cooking while it rets and go up the last 5 degrees.

Use the pan drippings for the yorkshire pudding, yumm.

I love Rachel Ray's shows, Giada's shows, Iron Chef America, and Good Eats with Alton Brown, he's my favorite. Oh that new one, Ham on the Street is pretty funny too.

sirrahbed
01-25-2006, 07:30 AM
Have you thought about a potroast instead of oven roast? I make mine in a dutch oven ...brown it first and then pour a coke over it. ;) Also a packet of dry onion soup. Cover the roaster and simmer for about 4 hours and this makes the most tender, moist and yummy potroast.

hmmm....your dinner sounds yummy!

I made a 30 Minute Meal last night and will go find the recipe :D

sirrahbed
01-25-2006, 07:38 AM
This was from Rachael Ray's 30 Minute Meal show last week and is what I made for dinner last night - oh my was it good!!! I could not find the smokey paprika and so used regular paprika and added cumin. I also took a shortcut and used refrigerator prepared mashed potatoes. The flavor of this meal is just wonderful and shepherd pies are so perfect for this winter weather I think.

3 large Idaho potatoes, peeled and cubed
Coarse salt
2 tablespoons EVOO - extra-virgin olive oil - 2 turns of the pan
1/4 pound smoky bacon or turkey bacon, chopped
1 1/3 pound ground turkey breast
1 tablespoon smoked paprika, available in small cans on spice aisle of market
(You may substitute 1 1/2 teaspoons each sweet paprika and cumin combined)
Coarse black pepper
2 tablespoons, 5 or 6 sprigs, fresh thyme leaves
1 medium onion, chopped
2 carrots, peeled and diced
3 ribs celery from the heart, chopped
1 small red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
2 cups frozen peas
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup sour cream, divided
3 tablespoons butter
1 large egg, beaten
10 to 12 blades fresh chives, chopped or snipped

Bring a medium pot of water to a boil, salt it, and cook the potatoes until tender, 12 to 15 minutes.

Heat a deep, large skillet over medium-high heat. Add EVOO, 2 turns of the pan, to the skillet. Add bacon and brown it up, then add ground turkey to the pan and break it up. Season the turkey with smoked paprika, salt and peppe,r and thyme. When turkey browns up, add: onions, carrots, celery. Season the veggies with salt and pepper. Cook 5 minutes, then add red pepper and peas cook another 2 minutes. Stir in flour and cook flour 2 minutes. Whisk in broth and combine. Add 1/2 cup of sour cream and combine. Simmer mixture over low heat.

Preheat your broiler to high.

When potatoes are tender, add a ladle of cooking water to the egg. Drain potatoes and return to the warm pot to dry them out a little. Add remaining 1/2 cup sour cream, butter, half of the chives, and salt and pepper. Smash and mash the potatoes, mashing in the beaten, tempered egg. If the potatoes are too tight, mix in a splash of milk.

Pour turkey mixture into a medium casserole dish. Top turkey with an even layer of smashed potatoes and place casserole 5 inches from hot broiler. Broil the potatoes until golden at edges and remove the casserole from the oven. Garnish the casserole with the remaining chives and a sprinkle of smoked paprika.

christa
01-25-2006, 08:39 AM
IMO, I think food is over-rated. ;)

I think people eat way too much of what they shouldn't and way too little of what they should. I think people should care more about what they put into their bodies.

As for what I watch, I LOVE Rachel Ray! Her personality is what draws me into her shows! Doesn't matter which one, I love them all! I've considered buying her cookbooks but I really don't love her style of cooking, LOL . . . I have tried her 30 minute meals and I rarely like them, so I think I must just like her personality, and that's it. - and it's not that I'm a bad cook, LOL . . . I LOVE to cook . . . Just not my style.

I love Iron Chef, and not the American version, the original Iron Chef! So funny & so entertaining to watch! I also like watching the Unwrapped shows to see how things are made and I love watching the NAKED Chef. What's his name? Jamie Oliver? He's such a cutie!

Now, for my Favorite Cookie Recipe:

Smart Cookies
Ingredients

1/2 cup (1 stick) corn-oil margarine, softened (I use Smart Balance (http://www.smartbalance.com/) )
1 tablespoon water
1/2 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
1/2 cup golden brown sugar, firmly packed
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 egg whites
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour (I use Whole Wheat Flour)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (4 ounces) mini-chocolate chips

(I also add 1 cup of Minute Oats & 1/2 cup of chunky peanut butter)

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.

In a large bowl, cream together margarine, water and sugars with an electric mixer on a high speed for 2 minutes. Add egg whites and vanilla and mix well. Blend in flour, baking soda and salt. Mix well. Add chocolate chips and blend thoroughly.

Scoop dough in rounded 1/2-teaspoonfuls and place on prepared cookie sheet about 1 inch apart. Bake until deep golden brown. Cool completely and serve.

Nutritional Info:
Serves: 3-cookie
Prep Time: 15 min.
Cook Time: 17-19 min.
Nutrition Score per serving:
Calories: 64
% Fat 33%
g Fat 3.4 g; 0.95 g saturated
% Carbs 63%; g Carbs 15g
% Protein 4%; g Protein 0.9g
g Fiber 0.3g

caseysmom
01-25-2006, 11:45 AM
I think food is an important part of family life. I try hard to sit down as a family every night to dinner together. It ties all the generations together.

I love to watch rachel ray, I love her $40.00 a day show, it ties food and traveling together, what could be more fun?

Vela
01-25-2006, 12:23 PM
Well I hate to break it to you, but those cookies may be slightly healthier for you because of the whole wheat, but margarine is actually NOT good for you and whole eggs aren't bad for you, so while those may appear to be healthier in some aspects, they aren't healthy cookies=) A cookie is still a cookie and all things in moderation with a healthy dose of the right proteins, right carbs, and right fruits and vegetables is a healthy diet. You can eat regular foods, even treats, in moderation and try to have a balanced diet. I do agree though that many many people overeat in general, not just bad for you foods, but food in general. And we should all be more concious of eating as healthy a diet as possible. Y

I also agree with what someone else mentioned, that food is an integral part of family life. It doesn't have to be bad for you food, but it's not overrated IMO, it's a good time for the family to gather to communicate, over preparation and dinner, and a good way to get kids involved in having some fun togehter in the kitchen. If you don't have kids or are single then maybe it's not such a big deal but otherwise it's actually an important family time, mealtime, in such a busy hectic life.

christa
01-25-2006, 01:10 PM
Well I hate to break it to you, but those cookies may be slightly healthier ....

Well, I hate to break it to YOU . . . I posted the NUTRITIONAL Info . . . the serving size is 3 cookies and 1 cookie is 1/2 a teaspoonful of dough, so yeah, portion control is key. You asked for recipes didn't you?

The reason I posted the cookie recipe is because normal "healthy recipes" usually get looked over in a hurry. I figured that a cookie recipe would get more attention. My lifestyle is completely healthy. Carbs & sugars in moderation. Low fats & lean meats. Veggies . . . the right fruits. Dailey exercise. It's a lifestyle. Staying healthy is important to me and it's not hard to do.

Okay, back on topic . . . I'll try to drudge up some more recipes later . . . maybe something that won't misrepresent what I live. ;)

Vela
01-25-2006, 01:45 PM
Actually no, I didn't ask for recipes....and margarine still isn't good for you, no matter what the nutritional information says, so I conceded that they might be healthier, but you stated healthy cookies, and cookies aren't healthy ever, some are just better than others. No need to get upset. I was just pointing out that no cookie is healthy and agreed with you about the rest, so I don't see why you are getting upset. I didn't say you weren't a healthy person and didn't have a healthy diet...so I don't see where you are getting any of that and getting defensive.

And actually I would be interested in healthy recipe ideas, I don't think they would be overlooked...at least not by everyone.

beeniesmom
01-25-2006, 01:47 PM
Whew...

I love food. Food has always been an important part of my life.
Growing up, my dad was a chef in several restaurants. We even owned several too.
Mom would work with him.

I would often spend my weekends helping out (making salads mostly) because of my age.

I did learn how to cook at a young age and still love cooking now.

Sunday dinner was very important at my house (and still is). It was the only day when the whole family was together.

I don't think food is over rated.

I love watching 30 minute meals when I have time and I collect (yes collect) cookbooks. I like to read them as you would a novel. Yu know, for ideas, techniques and to discover new ingredients. :)

Vela
01-25-2006, 02:01 PM
Well too late to edit, I meant to add, sorry if you took offense, I wasn't trying to be rude, although I guess it came acros that way to you. It wasn't a personal attack, I was just talking about that particular recipe, not your lifestyle. A cookie, even a healthier version, is still not consdiered "healthy" and margarine is actually worse for your body to process than real butter in small quantities. I understand WHY you posted the recipe, but no need to get in an argument over it, it's just a cookie...Sorry you took offense, none was intended.

Crazy-Cat-Lover
01-25-2006, 04:09 PM
The cut I am using is a rib roast. It is about 2 pounds. Great recipes everyone! I like rich food, I dont skimp on the fat! Everything is always full fat, I find low fat really changes the flavor. Like in those chicken breasts, low fat cream cheese has a different texture/taste than full fat.

I think my roast is an outside rib roast, though it could be an inside rib roast. I bought it, then cut it in half and froze it. My oven is small, it is apartment sized and is very hot even at 250 degrees.

:)

caseysmom
01-25-2006, 04:10 PM
I think the french have the best idea about their diets...they really enjoy good food in smaller portions...no low fat for them and they make it a social occasion and enjoy the food.

Vela
01-25-2006, 05:24 PM
Ah well if your oven thermostat is off then you will do best by using the internal roast temperature to guage doneness. If you sear it first in the pan it will help keep it moit and make sure not to overcook it and then let it rest and it should be great. Good luck with that.

CathyBogart
01-25-2006, 05:51 PM
Well, I don't have a TV so I don't watch Food Network, but I DO have some recipes that I LOVE!

Food is a hobby to me. I love to cook, I love to experiment, and of course I love to eat. However, I do my best to eat small portions and to limit the amount on inappropriate food that I get. I'm not always as good at it as I would like to be, but I'm getting better.

A recipe that I recently discovered (and modified a TINY bit) is "seared fish and potatoes with blackberry sauce"

3 cups blackberries, divided
1 cup of your favorite red wine (I like to use a nice merlot)
1/4 cup of warmed honey
2 tablespoons raspberry vinegar
2 tablespoons of Soy Sauce
5 sprigs basil (I have a hard time finding basil sprigs so I usually end up using dried basil from a jar)
1 tablespoon minced basil
Salt and Pepper
1 pound Yellow or New Potatoes
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 fish steaks (the recipe recommends tuna, but my boyfriend loves Salmon so I used salmon last time and it was marvelous)

-Prepare a hot fire on an outdoor or stovetop grill.
-Puree 2 cups of blackberries in a food processer or blender and (optional) strain put seeds)
-Bring pureed berries and wine to boil in a small saucepan over med-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer until volume is reduced by half (at this point heads start poking into the kitchen to see what that delicious smell is)
-Stir in honey, soy sauce, and 1 tablespoon vinegar, ass one basil sprig. SImmer uncovered for ten minutes.

-slice potatoes about 1/4" thick and cook until tender (I usually just steam them in the microwave)
-Put potatoes in a medium bowl, and toss with remaining vinegar, olive oil, and minced basil. Season with salt and pepper if desired.
-Grill fish until seared on the outside but rare inside.

-Top the potatoes with the fish, and top the fish with the sauce.

I find that that recipe usually makes more sauce than I need. *Drool* now I'm hungry!

Crazy-Cat-Lover
01-25-2006, 08:31 PM
Well, I don't have a TV so I don't watch Food Network, but I DO have some recipes that I LOVE!

Food is a hobby to me. I love to cook, I love to experiment, and of course I love to eat. However, I do my best to eat small portions and to limit the amount on inappropriate food that I get. I'm not always as good at it as I would like to be, but I'm getting better.

A recipe that I recently discovered (and modified a TINY bit) is "seared fish and potatoes with blackberry sauce"

3 cups blackberries, divided
1 cup of your favorite red wine (I like to use a nice merlot)
1/4 cup of warmed honey
2 tablespoons raspberry vinegar
2 tablespoons of Soy Sauce
5 sprigs basil (I have a hard time finding basil sprigs so I usually end up using dried basil from a jar)
1 tablespoon minced basil
Salt and Pepper
1 pound Yellow or New Potatoes
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 fish steaks (the recipe recommends tuna, but my boyfriend loves Salmon so I used salmon last time and it was marvelous)

-Prepare a hot fire on an outdoor or stovetop grill.
-Puree 2 cups of blackberries in a food processer or blender and (optional) strain put seeds)
-Bring pureed berries and wine to boil in a small saucepan over med-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer until volume is reduced by half (at this point heads start poking into the kitchen to see what that delicious smell is)
-Stir in honey, soy sauce, and 1 tablespoon vinegar, ass one basil sprig. SImmer uncovered for ten minutes.

-slice potatoes about 1/4" thick and cook until tender (I usually just steam them in the microwave)
-Put potatoes in a medium bowl, and toss with remaining vinegar, olive oil, and minced basil. Season with salt and pepper if desired.
-Grill fish until seared on the outside but rare inside.

-Top the potatoes with the fish, and top the fish with the sauce.

I find that that recipe usually makes more sauce than I need. *Drool* now I'm hungry!

YUMMY! That sounds so good - to ban my DH doesnt like fish. :(

CathyBogart
02-12-2006, 04:33 PM
Slick said I should post this recipe too, here's what I made DBF for our pseudo Valentine's Day dinner:

1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, once around the pan in a slow stream
1 tablespoon butter
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 shallots, minced
1 cup vodka
1 cup chicken stock
1 can crushed tomatoes (32 ounces)
Coarse salt and pepper
16 ounces pasta, such as penne rigate
1/2 cup heavy cream
20 leaves fresh basil, shredded or torn
Crusty bread, for passing

Heat a large skillet over moderate heat. Add oil, butter, garlic, and shallots. Gently saute shallots for 3 to 5 minutes to develop their sweetness. Add vodka to the pan, 3 turns around the pan in a steady stream will equal about 1 cup. Reduce vodka by half, this will take 2 or 3 minutes. Add chicken stock, tomatoes. Bring sauce to a bubble and reduce heat to simmer. Season with salt and pepper.
While sauce simmers, cook pasta in salted boiling water until cooked to al dente (with a bite to it). While pasta cooks, prepare your salad or other side dishes.

Stir cream into sauce. When sauce returns to a bubble, remove it from heat. Drain pasta. Toss hot pasta with sauce and basil leaves. Pass pasta with crusty bread.

I got it from foodnetwork.com. Yummy!!

CCL: I made that sauce and put it over chicken and it was pretty tasty too! :)

Crazy-Cat-Lover
02-13-2006, 01:09 AM
Yummy! That recipe makes my mouth water, it sounds delicious! Thanks for posting that, I will more than likely use that in the future! :)