PDA

View Full Version : No matter what I do, he won't fetch!

I**love**animals
04-11-2002, 10:25 PM
I have been trying to teach my dog Scamp to fetch a ball or a toy that he really loves since he was a puppy, but all these years, he's only walked up to the thrown toy, sniffed it, and walked back. He's a good dog, but is this a trick that he will never learn? :rolleyes:

Karen
04-11-2002, 10:32 PM
Some dogs just never "get" fetch - others are born to fetch! Scamp is a Sheltie - he'd like herding games more, if you could think of any! I'd try teaching him his toy's names - like "rope" and then getting him to bring it to you, "Bring me Rope, Scamp!" without you having thrown it first. When he does happen to bring it to you, praise lavishly! :) See how that goes, then maybe fetch will be the next step!

LoudLou
04-11-2002, 10:56 PM
Don't be too hard on Scamp. Sometimes it just takes a lot of time and practice. I had a Retiever/Sheperd mix that never quite got the hang of fetch. I worked with Shadow a lot and he just never did fetch. But, now Louie who is a Corgi is a different story. My Husband taught him how to "Get the BALL" but he didn't teach him how to stop playing fetch!:rolleyes: :p We have a house FULL of SOGGY tennis balls! ;)

I**love**animals
04-16-2002, 12:42 PM
Thanks so much!!! :)

clarebear__45
04-30-2002, 09:39 PM
Maybe he is just lazy? Just kidding !:D

Spacely'sMummie
05-19-2002, 04:48 PM
Have you tryed things your dog like to play with? ie. ball chew bone...ect....:rolleyes: It might work

PerfectLittleAngel
05-27-2002, 03:55 PM
:D wel;l some dogs just dont fetch!! My dog dose not either
he (cocker) just walks up 2 it smells it the runs away!!
have yo tried like food?

CountryWolf07
06-20-2002, 01:26 PM
Anna (husky) doesn't fetch at all, I've tried to teach her, but nothing. Now, Rosie (beagle) LOVES to go after anything, she'll know how to play fetch, but she has the habit of walking away with something her mouth instead of coming to me, lol. :rolleyes: - Rach

AnimalLunatic
06-22-2002, 04:31 PM
Erica hates animals!! lol

AnimalLunatic
06-22-2002, 04:32 PM
sorry that's my annoying friend. and i love all `animALS

Rottie
06-23-2002, 09:29 AM
Carl, my Rottweiler would never fetch either. He'd go out and pick it up and start running around with it. But he needed to be able to fetch for obedience competitions I take him to. It took several months of working with him 10 minutes every day, but I finally have a dog will fetch ANYTHING (pencils, quarters, toys, shoes, blankets, etc.) when I tell him to. It's a big commitment but I think it's worth it!

Rachel
06-30-2002, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Rottie
Carl, my Rottweiler would never fetch either. He'd go out and pick it up and start running around with it. But he needed to be able to fetch for obedience competitions I take him to. It took several months of working with him 10 minutes every day, but I finally have a dog will fetch ANYTHING (pencils, quarters, toys, shoes, blankets, etc.) when I tell him to. It's a big commitment but I think it's worth it!

Wow, Sara, I am impressed! You're good. Will he do it for fun now or only as obeying a command?

I've had two previous dogs who just weren't interested in fetch at all. Out of my current two, Tucker will occasionally run after the object thrown but since I cut out rewarding the game with a treat, he won't bring it back. Just picks it up and then drops it. Hannah still likes to play fetch but her interest isn't as intense as it once was and I notice that often I'm the one doing the retrieving from under a bush or tree where she will take it after she gets it.

Pam
06-30-2002, 07:27 PM
My Bella is a "fetch addict" She will fetch until the cows come home! Sometimes in the heat she will be panting and her tongue is hanging down to the ground and she still wants more! :rolleyes: Of course this is all when we use balls. When I throw her famous "Hurl-A-Squirrel" she will catch it but refuses to bring it back. We usually wind up playing a game of Pam chases Bella until Pam's tongue is hanging down to the ground. Then Pam gives up and gets Bella a doggie biscuit and she surrenders the Hurl-A-Squirrel. :rolleyes:

lovemymaltese
07-02-2002, 02:59 PM
My Tango fetches when he wants to. Sometimes he will run (not too far) and get the toy and bring it back, others times he will not.

Rottie
07-12-2002, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by Rachel

Wow, Sara, I am impressed! You're good. Will he do it for fun now or only as obeying a command?

I've had two previous dogs who just weren't interested in fetch at all. Out of my current two, Tucker will occasionally run after the object thrown but since I cut out rewarding the game with a treat, he won't bring it back. Just picks it up and then drops it. Hannah still likes to play fetch but her interest isn't as intense as it once was and I notice that often I'm the one doing the retrieving from under a bush or tree where she will take it after she gets it.

Sorry I didn't reply earlier, Rachel... didn't see your post! :o He has fun while doing it, but it still I still treat it as obeying the command (I can't let him get away with something at home, if I want him to do it in the show ring :p )

His favorite part is the fact that this is something he knows he can do right, and that I always praise him up afterwards. :)

ParNone
07-15-2002, 02:59 PM
My dogs do the terrier version of fetch. They chase down
whatever you throw... Pounce on it... Kill it... And they're
done...:)

Par...