PDA

View Full Version : Three years in the making...pictures

Glacier
01-24-2006, 11:01 PM
It's taken three years and 5 months to get this point:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/Dogs%202006/deltahouse.jpg
Delta is in the house! Timid is far to mild a word for Delta. Doesn't even begin to describe what he's like and he's already made great progress.

Delta and I have a routine. When I want to pet him I tell him to find a "safe spot" and he picks a place and lays down. Usually with his back against a wall and his eyes on an escape route. He rarely acts like he enjoys being touched, but for a long time he wouldn't even let me do that so I'll take it.

It's -30C with a windchill here today. The huskies don't really care, but Delta was awfully frosty so just before dinner I asked him if he wanted to come inside. Tonight when I asked if he wanted to come in, he laid down just a couple feet from the door. So I scooped him up, as much as it is possible to scoop 60 pounds of dog up and carried him inside. Delta has never ever crossed the threshold under his own power. He won't walk on a leash. If he comes inside or has to leave the yard for some reason, he has to be carried. Usually when I bring him in, he lays right where I put him down and never moves. Tonight he explored a bit, ate some cat food and then settled down on Sleet's blankie.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/Dogs%202006/deltaprofile.jpg
He was a little nervous at first and got up every time I came in the room, but now (yes, four hours later he's still inside and defrosted), he's practically lounging!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/Dogs%202006/deltalounge.jpg
I even got to give him a hug and he didn't go board stiff! He might have even enjoyed it just a tiny bit! :D

CathyBogart
01-24-2006, 11:18 PM
Congrats, that's wonderful! Way to go Delta!

BC_MoM
01-24-2006, 11:20 PM
Aww.. Delta, you're such a sweet boy! I think you're finally starting to come out of your shell and really shine! :)

Corinna
01-25-2006, 01:03 AM
I Thopught I was seeing things Delta in the house let alone Pictures of the event WOW It must have been really cold out. way to go Delta maybe this is the big break through. (Crossing fingers.)

Queen of Poop
01-25-2006, 08:12 AM
Delta, good work. Glad you are relaxing a bit and maybe enjoying being indoors, out of the nasty weather. You're a very good dog. Let mommy pamper you a bit, you deserve it. Such a cutie. Hugs to you.

cyber-sibes
01-25-2006, 09:14 AM
I got tears in my eyes seeing this! What a sweet face, but he does look really edgy. You can bet he's spent the past 3 years and 5 months carefully watching your every move with the other dogs, too! What a great breakthrough. If he lives long enough, he may yet get to know the joy of ear rubs and belly skritches! HaHa, just joking.

pitc9
01-25-2006, 09:15 AM
Your description of how he acts sounds exactly how Buddy acts when my hubby tries to pet him. Always has to make sure he has an escape route, not looking/acting like he's enjoying it.
I'm glad to see Delta's making advancements still!!

gemini9961
01-25-2006, 10:35 AM
This is great news. :D I hope to see many more pics of Delta in the house all cozy and warm. :)

Ginger's Mom
01-25-2006, 10:50 AM
Ah Glacier, it looks like you have managed to defrost Delta in more ways than one. Good for both of you. :)

Logan
01-25-2006, 12:15 PM
What a special moment for you, Glacier!!! :) I hope that every day will help Delta to feel more comfortable in your home!

lv4dogs
01-25-2006, 12:33 PM
Thats great! You can actually see it in his eyes that he is uneasy in the first 2 pictures, the third pic though he seems to have settled down some.
He sure is a handsome fella.

Vela
01-25-2006, 12:56 PM
That is awesome, congratulations on overcoming such a hurdle. WTG Delta.

poofy
01-25-2006, 01:35 PM
that is so wonderful..Im so glad hes getting better,its been long time coming..bless his heart..and your so easy going to take the time with him..that is so wonderfull

sandragonfly
01-25-2006, 02:38 PM
oh aw, I'm glad he keeps going! hope the next step will be him in the house without having to scoop him in. :) or why can't he walk in? can he go outside if he wants to? :confused:

elizabethann
01-25-2006, 02:53 PM
AAAAAAAAWWWW....that's so sweet....brought tears to my eyes. Delta is so cute. I hope his shell is forever broken.

Kisses to you Delta.

:)

Glacier
01-25-2006, 06:08 PM
oh aw, I'm glad he keeps going! hope the next step will be him in the house without having to scoop him in. :) or why can't he walk in? can he go outside if he wants to? :confused:

It's not that he can't walk in. He won't. When Delta is afraid or overwhelmed he shuts down. He just lays down and won't move. The door scares him so he won't come in on his own. He will follow another dog out the door sometimes or sometimes I carry him back outside.

anna_66
01-25-2006, 08:06 PM
It's so wonderful to see those pictures and hear that Delta has come so far. Hopefully there will be many more nights lounging in the house:D

Pembroke_Corgi
01-25-2006, 09:03 PM
Ah Glacier, it looks like you have managed to defrost Delta in more ways than one. Good for both of you. :)
Very well said. I'm glad that he's made so much progress.