PDA

View Full Version : Landlady neglected the electric bill...

sirrahved
01-24-2006, 04:35 PM
And now our power has been disconnected! It's been out since this morning and I have no idea when we will get it back. Luckily, our computer stays in Jason's office across the parking lot. I have something to entertain my power-reliant brain.

Anyone have a clue as to how long it will be to get power back? How about spoilage in the fridge/freezer?

Karen
01-24-2006, 04:48 PM
Yikes! She must have neglected it for quite a while for them to actually shut it off, so who knows when it'll be turned back on! Have you spoken to her? What does she say?

buttercup132
01-24-2006, 04:51 PM
If it's her fault then won't she have to pay for food spoiledge? :confused:

sirrahved
01-24-2006, 04:52 PM
The church deals with her, so I haven't spoken to her at all. Last word was our secretary had spoken with the landlady at her place of employment. If the power wasn't back on around 2ish we were supposed to call our secretary again. We called her around 3. I'm afraid it won't be back on until they receive payment, and I have no idea how long that will take.

At least I am a third party and don't feel responsible for anything. My only thing I have to deal with is lack of electricity.

sirrahved
01-24-2006, 04:55 PM
If it's her fault then won't she have to pay for food spoiledge? :confused:

Our senior pastor advised us to keep track of anything that spoils. He will make her pay for it. I just don't know when things are spoiled.

Craftlady
01-24-2006, 04:55 PM
More than a day you have spoilage in the refrigerator. :( I'd add up the total and deduct it from my next months rent.
If you keep stuff on ice, in ice chest (condiments, milk, eggs etc) it will keep for several days. Just be sure to keep adding ice as it melts. Frozen meats once they start to thaw you'll have to cook them up immediately or throw away.

Having the electric turned back on depends when your landlord pays the amount inrears. Soon as that is done more than likely it will can be turned on immediately.

Corinna
01-24-2006, 04:59 PM
Here if it's more than 2 months late they disconnect . But in the winter they can't becouse of children .I think I would have it put in my name and make sure it gets paid.

Laura's Babies
01-24-2006, 06:34 PM
I am with you Corinna, she is either very forgetful (for months!) or just don't care. I would get the lights in my name if I could so I wouldn't have to worry about this happening during a freeze or something..

In food service we have a saying about food, "When it doubt, Throw it out!".. So if you have any doubts about the safety of the food, dump it!

caseysmom
01-24-2006, 06:57 PM
My fridge broke last christmas, I kept things on the porch, it was cold enough, especiall in an ice chest.

You will need to cook any meat that thaws though.

moosmom
01-25-2006, 06:49 AM
Call the media. The tv news stations, the newspapers, ANYONE that can get the word out. You'll see how fast your electricity gets turned on. AND a lawyer.

Your landlord has obligations to her tenants under the law. One of them is the electricity. If you don't have electricity, you certainly don't have heat. As far as you fridge is concerned, as long as you keep it closed shut, the food is still good for 24-48 hours. At least that's what I was told.

Stay warm and keep us posted. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

sirrahbed
01-25-2006, 07:42 AM
Oh no Devon!! :( I sure hope the church will get that taken care of very soon. I agree with the others and would throw out the food for sure.

I guess you guys are living like pioneers about now??

chrangharris
01-26-2006, 11:19 AM
How awful!! Any new news? Is it back up?