PDA

View Full Version : My first dogs...

dream_dog1234
01-24-2006, 10:46 AM
Oh my gosh I just noticed I'm getting Aslan and Eddy tommorow... these are my first dogs and I need help! How do I train them correctly? What's a good food for them? How much excersize should I give two adult Goldens? Where should they sleep? I don't know what to do, I researched for at least 10 months and it seems like I've researched none... and I really need help, I knew I could come to all of you :D

dab_20
01-24-2006, 10:55 AM
Oh, don't worry so much. It kind of depends on what training you need done. Are they already potty trained?

I feed my 2 Iams... but alot of people here don't agree with it. I'm not an expert on food.

You can by a crate for each of them... which will be a bit pricey... but it will keep them out of trouble for the night. Make sure they don't have a bunch of extra room in the kennel.

From what I know, they need quite a bit of exercise. Here I will get some info on exercise....

EDIT:The Golden Retriever needs daily exercise, but likes to retrieve balls and other toys, so exercising is fairly easy. Be sure to exercise this dog well and do not overfeed, as he tends to put on weight.

So sounds like maybe you could take them to the dog park daily and throw tennis balls for them. And a nice walk should do good, too.

I know since it is your fist dogs you will be nervous. But I bet everything will go smoothly and you won't regret it!

BC_MoM
01-24-2006, 10:57 AM
How do I train them correctly?
Well, it's not a DIFFICULT task to teach a dog the basics. I suggest enrolling in some obedience classes.. it will also help you three bond more! :)

What's a good food for them?
There's lots of good food out there.. but it depends on your dogs body and how they tolerate different brands. You may have to do some trial and error. I feed Purina One Lamb and Rice to my dogs. I tried Canidae (which is supposedly the best food out there) and they did HORRIBLY on it. So, my conclusion is that the dogs body decides. Not you.

How much excersize should I give two adult Goldens?
Moderate excersise, most likely! :) A daily walk or two and some good games of fetch or whatever they like in the backyard for an hour or two. Goldens benefit from lots of excersise but they are relatively calm dogs requiring moderate excersise.

Where should they sleep?
I would advise crating them for the first few weeks, or keeping them in your room on the floor with you until they settle in and you make sure they behave enough indoors, unsupervised. If they aren't chewers and are housebroken, they will probably fine picking out a spot for themselves.

GOOD LUCK! I'm very excited for you! Even more excited for you adopting rather than buying from a breeder. :)

dream_dog1234
01-24-2006, 10:59 AM
Oh, don't worry so much. It kind of depends on what training you need done. Are they already potty trained?

I feed my 2 Iams... but alot of people here don't agree with it. I'm not an expert on food.

You can by a crate for each of them... which will be a bit pricey... but it will keep them out of trouble for the night. Make sure they don't have a bunch of extra room in the kennel.

From what I know, they need quite a bit of exercise. Here I will get some info on exercise....

I know since it is your fist dogs you will be nervous. But I bet everything will go smoothly and you won't regret it!

I'll try not too... I'm just really nervous! Ya, I think I should keep them in crates so they don't get into trouble and I don't hear them running around the house crazily. I've heard of IAMS before, do you think it's a good food? OK, thanks. I'll wait for the excersize info :D

EDIT: Yes, they're potty trained.

BC_MoM
01-24-2006, 11:01 AM
IAMs is an alright food.. but there are better brands for the same price out there.

dream_dog1234
01-24-2006, 11:03 AM
How do I train them correctly?
Well, it's not a DIFFICULT task to teach a dog the basics. I suggest enrolling in some obedience classes.. it will also help you three bond more! :)

What's a good food for them?
There's lots of good food out there.. but it depends on your dogs body and how they tolerate different brands. You may have to do some trial and error. I feed Purina One Lamb and Rice to my dogs. I tried Canidae (which is supposedly the best food out there) and they did HORRIBLY on it. So, my conclusion is that the dogs body decides. Not you.

How much excersize should I give two adult Goldens?
Moderate excersise, most likely! :) A daily walk or two and some good games of fetch or whatever they like in the backyard for an hour or two. Goldens benefit from lots of excersise but they are relatively calm dogs requiring moderate excersise.

Where should they sleep?
I would advise crating them for the first few weeks, or keeping them in your room on the floor with you until they settle in and you make sure they behave enough indoors, unsupervised. If they aren't chewers and are housebroken, they will probably fine picking out a spot for themselves.

GOOD LUCK! I'm very excited for you! Even more excited for you adopting rather than buying from a breeder. :)

OK, that was some really good info! Thanks! I'll be sure and post photos tommorow! LOTS!

dream_dog1234
01-24-2006, 11:03 AM
IAMs is an alright food.. but there are better brands for the same price out there.

OK. What are some of the better brands?

BC_MoM
01-24-2006, 11:04 AM
Oh, you're getting them tomorrow??!! AWESOME!! :D:D:D

You better post tons of pictures or we'll all be after your six!!

dream_dog1234
01-24-2006, 11:05 AM
Oh, you're getting them tomorrow??!! AWESOME!! :D:D:D

You better post tons of pictures or we'll all be after your six!!

Yep, tommorow, I'm SO excited! My first dogs!

BC_MoM
01-24-2006, 11:11 AM
Is there a website to the rescue these guys are at?

dab_20
01-24-2006, 11:17 AM
I'll try not too... I'm just really nervous! Ya, I think I should keep them in crates so they don't get into trouble and I don't hear them running around the house crazily. I've heard of IAMS before, do you think it's a good food? OK, thanks. I'll wait for the excersize info :D

EDIT: Yes, they're potty trained.

Well them already being potty trained will be alot easier on you. I think that's the hardest part.

My dogs do really good on Iams... like BC_Mom said.... it all depends on what your dogs body prefers.

caseysmom
01-24-2006, 11:18 AM
I suggest california natural or innovea, there are not the fillers that Iams has. Good luck with your new babies.

lv4dogs
01-24-2006, 01:09 PM
Its great that you are getting the 2 GR's but it seems to be going a little fast. Wasn't the owner going to get them neutered first?

buttercup132
01-24-2006, 01:30 PM
See what there previous owners are feeding them and stick to that

lv4dogs
01-24-2006, 01:37 PM
See what there previous owners are feeding them and stick to that

But that may not be a decent brand of food. But it is for sure something that should be asked, you don't want to switch these 2 cold turkey. And you never know it could be a decent brand of food.

dab_20
01-24-2006, 02:18 PM
True, Sammy's owners fed him ol' roy and i found out that's not a good brand.

BC_MoM
01-24-2006, 03:19 PM
We've always immediately switched our dogs food when we decide and have never had problems. Why do so many people speak against it? :confused:

Vela
01-24-2006, 03:29 PM
Well depending on the dog, it could cause digestive upset, diarrhea and throwing up. It doesn't happen with all dogs, and some never have a problem with the fast switch but I think most recommend it because it's overall easier on their digestive tract and the way you find out it does bother them is after they are already sick, so people try to prevent that in the first place.

To Dreamdog, I would try your dogs on Chicken Soup, Canidae (I can only speak for those two personally as those are the two I use) or anything else on the Whole Dog Journal list of recommended foods. They use better ingredients and so you end up feeding less overall as less is filler and waste. It actually costs close to the same when comparing the amount fed to the price of the food, for the better quality foods. Especilaly with a breed prone to becoming overweight easily, you really want to skip the fillers and grains as much as possible as they are empty calories and only end up in your yard as extra poop=x

lv4dogs
01-24-2006, 03:30 PM
We've always immediately switched our dogs food when we decide and have never had problems. Why do so many people speak against it? :confused:

Some dogs have no problems like yours & mine (I do fed a variety of foods/treats people food to keep their sytems used to allowing new & different foods) but some dogs have a very sensative digestive tract and may develope problems with switching foods so abruptly.

Alysser
01-24-2006, 04:38 PM
You forgot, they could be trained already. But maybe just test the dog food and see what they like? I don't know! :confused:

dream_dog1234
01-24-2006, 06:20 PM
Is there a website to the rescue these guys are at?

They are not at a rescue. They're at a person's house that's gettign rid of them.

dream_dog1234
01-24-2006, 06:21 PM
Its great that you are getting the 2 GR's but it seems to be going a little fast. Wasn't the owner going to get them neutered first?

Yes, she was getting them neatuered the day I called, so tommorow it will be 2 days since they had gotten neautered.

dab_20
01-24-2006, 06:22 PM
Yeah, like Sammy used to have diareah all the time when we fist got him but when we switched his food he felt better.

BC_MoM
01-24-2006, 07:20 PM
Well depending on the dog, it could cause digestive upset, diarrhea and throwing up. It doesn't happen with all dogs, and some never have a problem with the fast switch but I think most recommend it because it's overall easier on their digestive tract and the way you find out it does bother them is after they are already sick, so people try to prevent that in the first place.

Some dogs have no problems like yours & mine (I do fed a variety of foods/treats people food to keep their sytems used to allowing new & different foods) but some dogs have a very sensative digestive tract and may develope problems with switching foods so abruptly.

Thanks for informing me on that. :D

bre_boxers
01-25-2006, 10:28 AM
I'm so happy you decided to get them!

JenBKR
01-25-2006, 11:59 AM
Some dogs are pretty picky about food too, and you can get online to different sites for dog food and get free samples. I know you can for Nutro - that's what I feed Roscoe and it's a very good food, especially for the price. You want to look at the ingredients, you don't want by-products or corn. I'm pretty new at reading labels, but generally if you can buy the food at a grocery store or wal-mart, it's not one of the better foods. You're better off at a Petsmart or something like that. Good luck, and I can't wait for pics :D

Vela
01-25-2006, 12:13 PM
Actually realistically you are better off getting dog food from local pet stores or feed stores, rather than the large chains. The smaller family run type stores often sell higher quality foods, but if the only stores around are the chains you can buy some relatively decent stuff like Blue Buffalo and a few of the others, but if you are going to buy from the bigger stores generally it will be the more expensive foods they carry that are the better quality. Look for the most meat protein sources as the first ingredients and try for whole grains rather than processed grains and grain parts like brewers rice (that is actually swept up off the floor and leavings after being used in making beer and often contains some hopps as well). Also don't buy things that say by-products or have lots of things with fillers like corn, beet pulp, etc. Those aren't digested anyway and are only used to make the dog feel full, add no nutritional value, and come out the other end just causing more poop. Corn is actually a common allergen for dogs and can cause some issues. It's best to avoid it when you can. Not every high quality food works for every dog but you can find one that will.

dream_dog1234
01-25-2006, 06:01 PM
I got them :D They are settling in, I am so excited! My first doggies! I'm going to let them settle in and then take some pictures, all right?

k9krazee
01-25-2006, 06:06 PM
Can't wait to see them :D

Jessika
01-25-2006, 06:12 PM
OK. What are some of the better brands?

If you're looking for the same price range as IAMs, look into getting Nutro. Yes its a little more expensive, but you feed less (since it has more calories in it per cup) and in the end over a year you'll end up paying either the same as if you were to stick with IAMs or a similar brand, or less! :)

dream_dog1234
01-25-2006, 06:32 PM
If you're looking for the same price range as IAMs, look into getting Nutro. Yes its a little more expensive, but you feed less (since it has more calories in it per cup) and in the end over a year you'll end up paying either the same as if you were to stick with IAMs or a similar brand, or less! :)

OK. Thank you very much! :D