PDA

View Full Version : i have a really stupid question

Sara luvs her Tinky
01-24-2006, 07:25 AM
Can I have internet access at my apartment without a home phone?

I am using my cell phone as my home phone.... but I want internet access too..... :confused: :confused:

prechrswife
01-24-2006, 08:18 AM
If you have cable tv, you may be able to get internet service through the cable company. It does cost more than dial-up, but if you had to put in a phone line to get dial-up internet, it would cost as much or more than cable internet.

BC_MoM
01-24-2006, 08:23 AM
I'm pretty sure you can! Depending on your cellphone service provider, THEY might even offer internet services. I'd call around and check it out. :)

Laura's Babies
01-24-2006, 09:18 AM
Also wireless... If you have a wireless card and someone nearby has a router you computer can hook into the wireless connection. In the apartment my sister lives in, we couldn't get a wireless connection in her apartment but going outside and walking around, a connection was made...

Some cell phones offer internet where you hook it to your cell phone and connect via the cell phone. Some of the guys out on the river have that.

Logan
01-24-2006, 09:18 AM
Sara, I think you will have to go with cable, rather than DSL. DSL or dialup would require a phone line to work. Hope I'm right on that! :o You will enjoy a faster connection with cable, for sure, if you're accustomed to dial up.

Logan

Sara luvs her Tinky
01-24-2006, 09:45 AM
Well the apartments I live in are DSL ready and they charge 17.00 more a month to get internet through them.

but... i'm trying to save $$ and I can get 10 free hours a month with netzero. But I'm not sure if I can get the internet to run without actual home phone access..... :confused:

Logan
01-24-2006, 09:57 AM
I think you're going to have to have a phoneline, Sara, for anything other than cable to work.

Good luck!

Logan

christa
01-24-2006, 10:34 AM
Cable or satellite :)

Corinna
01-24-2006, 10:39 AM
I have Cable line I love it I could not go back to dial up. The $17.00 more a month would be worth it no worring about can I get on or slow speeds.

anna_66
01-24-2006, 04:30 PM
Most definitely! But I'm pretty sure only if you have cable/satellite.
But let me tell you, I've never had dial up and never want to have it. I'd skimp on other things rather than go to dial up:p

Ginger's Mom
01-24-2006, 06:22 PM
Yeah, you would have to activate the phone line in your apartment. Which means in addition to the NetZero cost you would also be paying a monthly service fee to the phone company for the use of the line. So add that cost into the cost for NetZero and then compare it with cable or satelite. Dial-up may not be cheaper when you factor in the cost of both services. (I am a dial-up user, but I use the phone line as my main source of communication so it is cheaper for me.)

Jessika
01-25-2006, 11:39 AM
Also wireless... If you have a wireless card and someone nearby has a router you computer can hook into the wireless connection. In the apartment my sister lives in, we couldn't get a wireless connection in her apartment but going outside and walking around, a connection was made...

That's kind of illegal though, isn't it? Usually when you pick up on a wireless network its because someone was stupid and forgot to secure it so just ANYONE can connect using your connection. If the person finds out you could get in trouble. Usually if they aren't smart enough to encrypt their connection in the first place, they won't know how to look to see if someone else is connecting using their internet though lol

Anyway to answer the question --

You CAN have cable internet without an activated phone line. You WILL have to pay for basic cable as well as the internet, so the bill could be as much as $60 a month for both together. For DSL and dial-up, you need to have an active phone line.

So in your case, cable would be the best option IMO.

Roxyluvsme13
01-25-2006, 11:45 AM
Go Cable! It's much faster...Sure it costs a little more, but its REAAALLLY worth it!