PDA

View Full Version : Jobs

BC_MoM
01-23-2006, 09:26 AM
Ok, so it's relatively easy to get a job, correct?

Well, since the beginning of November I've been going out every weekend handing in resumes and not ONE SINGLE PLACE has called me back.......I REALLY need a job.

I want money so I can do stuff, I want money to get Mickey and Molly into Flyball, I want money to buy a new digital camera, I want money to redo my room..

But if I can't get a job, I get NONE of those things!!

I'm really sick of it... I think I'm just going to stop trying to find a job and just wallow in my wants.

*sigh* Sorry for ranting.

finn's mom
01-23-2006, 09:35 AM
Trust me, I know the feeling. But, one thing I've discovered is that, while you search and wait, the right job for you is also waiting. You'll find it. Even if you get something you don't really want in the meantime, always keep looking. I'll be 30 years old, and, I finally got a job in photography. I'm posting a thread about in just a minute. I've had jobs just to get me by for all my life. And, I've been unemployed since September. Keep your head up, it'll happen. And, one piece of actual advice, don't wait for them to call you back. Don't be annoying, be pleasantly persistent. ;) And, don't just call them, either, go to the job and ask to speak to a manager. Get your face and your personality out there. They will hire oftentimes, based on the person they've met, not so much the stacks of apps and resumes on their desk. But, the best thing you can do, is keep your head up. Check online, too, check staffing companies. I get several calls for interviews from places I've applied online at monster.com and careerbuilder.com. Check the online ads for your newspaper. And, good luck!

BC_MoM
01-23-2006, 10:49 AM
Heh.. thanks for the encouragement. Much appreciated. That's so cool that you'll be doing photography! I've always wanted to get a job in that area, but too young for people to want to hire me.

Laura's Babies
01-23-2006, 10:53 AM
I agree, that job is out there looking for you so just hang in there and don't give up on it.. It will come when the time is right.

Karen
01-23-2006, 01:35 PM
I think nearly everyone goes through that. The first summer I was old enough to work, I applied at every place in the mall that had any help wanted signs, and everywhere else besides fast-food places.

Well, I finally got a job, it was nowhere where I had ever shopped, or expected to work - it was selling wigs!!! Pretty funny for an almost 17-year-old with hair down to my shoulder-blades, but it was a job! And it left me with great stories to tell, and made it easier to get my next job, too!

Don't give up! Apply everywhere! :)