PDA

View Full Version : Companion Dogs

lcpitts
01-23-2006, 01:08 AM
I am looking to buy a dog. I live in a one bedroom apartment. I have a flexible job schedule.
I was looking at Affenpinschers, Brussels Griffons, and Chihuahuas. Any suggestions?
Also, what are the personality differences in males and females?

dab_20
01-23-2006, 10:58 AM
males tend to be happy go lucky and want to play quite a bit. they tend to not learn as fast as females, but they are really wonderful companions. males mark their territory, but i've also heard of females doing that too. If you get your dog nuetered or spayed it should stop the problem.

females tend to be more moody, but they learn faster because they have a "lets get over with this" attitude. They both make equally great companions.

good luck on finding a dog. :) Please consider rescueing.

Suki Wingy
01-23-2006, 03:47 PM
Terriers are wonderful little beasts but they certainly have an attitude. If you don't want to deal with that I wouldn't suggest one. I'm sorry, I know little about toy breeds (that's what you're looking for, right?) but good luck in finding a dog!

dab_20
01-23-2006, 04:29 PM
You can go on www.dogbreedinfo.com and look up the breeds your looking at getting. There is also a quiz you can take on there that tells you what breeds they would suggest. Good Luck. :)

BTW, I think in your situation a chihuahua sounds ok. The other breeds I am not so fimiliar with...

Mazie
01-26-2006, 10:57 AM
Personally, I like the brussels. they are slightly more independent so when you are at work they don't get as worried. thye have pretty easy going personalities (not nearly as high strung as chi's can be) and they are pretty cute. ;)

I would look into rescues. If you aren't concerned about a dog being purebred, look for small mixed breeds - there are lots of poodle crosses out there that make great pets and if you get one that is still a puppy but older than about 5-6 months the foster family can tell you if it is barker (which small dogs can be) or relatively quiet. This would be helpful for apartment living.

Roxyluvsme13
01-27-2006, 08:37 PM
Well, if you dont mind some Grooming...Pomeranians are awesome! They are very sweet loving dogs. :)

Pit Chick
02-02-2006, 07:48 PM
I would look into rescues. If you aren't concerned about a dog being purebred, look for small mixed breeds - there are lots of poodle crosses out there that make great pets and if you get one that is still a puppy but older than about 5-6 months the foster family can tell you if it is barker (which small dogs can be) or relatively quiet. This would be helpful for apartment living.

I couldn't agree more.