PDA

View Full Version : DSL - Wow!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-11-2002, 11:32 AM
I've been kind of scarce here the last couple of days because of work. Until the 15th I'm just swamped with tax and union reports that are due.

But the good part is that part of the reason I'm so busy is I was trying to get DSL working - and I did it! Well, sort of anyway. Boy is this thing fast! I can whiz right through all the posts now - not that I want to whiz through, but sometimes at work it's more of a neccessity. :rolleyes: Now all I have to do is get my bosses computer to work with the DSL and I'll be ready to spend some time here again - after all the reports are done too.....

I've taken some new pictures so I'll be able to share them when everything settles down around here. Until then, the pictures that everyone else sends come up really fast now, so they can keep me updated.

See you all soon!

Former User
04-11-2002, 11:46 AM
We have DSL too, and it is so much fun! Everything goes so fast, ah, sooo nice!!!! And as you said, all the pictures come up really fast :)

Snowy's Mom
04-11-2002, 11:54 AM
Hi,

I just got DSL a month ago and I swear, I don't know how I used that S-L-O-W modem all these years! The only downside is the cost for the month.

SM

Former User
04-11-2002, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Snowy's Mom
The only downside is the cost for the month.

Here DSL is the cheapest version! We pay $36 per month and can surf as much as we have time!

sasvermont
04-11-2002, 12:36 PM
I live on an island between NY State and VT (home) and we will never get cable or DSL there. The office has a DSL line and it is much faster - in the city of Burlington.

We also (at home and the office) downloaded software (free) called DAP (download accelerator plus)...and it speeds up any downloads you do and will resume downloads in most cases.

Snowy's Mom
04-11-2002, 12:45 PM
I used to have DSL at work, but I got laid off from my job after September 11th--I worked in Manhattan. I used to use it at work all of the time.....now it's $56 a month!

Former User
04-11-2002, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Snowy's Mom
now it's $56 a month!

:eek: :eek: that's not nice!! almost double for what it is here!

Snowy's Mom
04-11-2002, 12:58 PM
Yeah, can you believe that???

Everything here is so expensive--:(

Lachesis
04-11-2002, 01:21 PM
Man and I thought Alaska was "cheap".

Cable here is like $39.00 a month. DSL is like $100 a month :eek:

My mom and I have cable modem, my grandma has DSL. I could never go back to dialup :D

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-11-2002, 01:29 PM
We know other people who live in Europe (Germany & Austria mostly) and they also get their hookup very cheap. I don't remember if it's DSL or not, but they said that it's government subsidized, which means it comes out of your taxes. And I've also heard that taxes over there are much higher than here. So, we could pay more taxes and get cheap DSL, or pay less taxes and have more expensive DSL. Either way the only ones coming out ahead are the telecommunications companies. Just go ahead and try and tell me how they are losing money on all this.

Ann
04-11-2002, 01:53 PM
I used to use a 33k modem and had to pay about 4000kr for my usage per month (that equals about 400 dollars). Then the company offered my some new "faster" connection that they called ADSL but I really don't know if it is so much faster... If I'm lucky I get 10k per second on downloads, and that isn't what I had expected. What do you other DSL users get approximately?

Atleast it's cheaper this way, they only charge a monthly fee and don't charge for every minute I am online like they used too.

Randi
04-11-2002, 02:31 PM
Yes, isn't it just great to be on ADSL, you can surf and do stuff you would have hesitated doing before, without it costing a fortune!

We've had ours for 1 1/2 year, and we pay aprox. 47$ a month for 384K bits download and 128K bits upload. That's not the fastest, but OK for us - so far!! :D

You can tell who's on DSL here, because you tend to just leave the machine and stay connected to the same thread for hours, not bothering to log off! :D

You get used to it SO quickly, you get dependent on it and won't know what to do without it!

Enjoy!!!

Cincy'sMom
04-11-2002, 02:49 PM
I love our DSL. Make everyithing soooo much faster!

4 feline house
04-11-2002, 09:36 PM
Gee, my DSL's as cheap as the Europeans'!

Gio
04-12-2002, 06:23 AM
We know other people who live in Europe (Germany & Austria mostly) and they also get their hookup very cheap

Not over here! Luckily I have it at work where I do most of my posting from. :D :

anna_66
04-12-2002, 08:29 AM
Ok, I'm new at the computer, is DSL the same as RoadRunner? All I know is that RR if fast! I can't imagine using something else.

4 feline house
04-12-2002, 07:20 PM
anna, DSL is not a brand name or the name of your ISP. DSL stands for digital subsriber line and it allows digital communication across a voice connection. The digital data and voice transmission can occur simultaneously, so you can surf and still have your phone. You would still have to have an ISP, just as when you have dial-up, which I assume is what Roadrunner is to you. But since you need a special modem for it and have no need to dial a number to connect, you would know it if you had it.

anna_66
04-13-2002, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by 4 feline house
You would still have to have an ISP, just as when you have dial-up, which I assume is what Roadrunner is to you. But since you need a special modem for it and have no need to dial a number to connect, you would know it if you had it.
Thanks 4 Feline House, Roadrunner is the same as DSL then, it is not dialup, it is through cable. I thought so, but I wasn't sure;)

4 feline house
04-13-2002, 09:56 AM
Oh, well then, what you have is......cable! That's different from both dial-up and DSL. From what I understand the speed is about on par with DSL, although both can vary depending on alot of factors.

Logan
04-13-2002, 11:01 AM
I have cable.....mine is a Southeastern company, Charter, but they call it Charter Pipeline. Roadrunner is through :confused:, Time Warner, I think, and it is a cable connection too. Don't know how I ever lived without it! :D

Nomilynn
04-13-2002, 02:21 PM
I was so suprised at the costs when reading this.. up here it's 34.95 a month plus tax for ADSL and 39.95 a month plus tax for cable. I think. I have cable, and I was thinking of switching to ADSL because it is now cheaper. Cable is great except when people who are on the shared network are on all at once. That is an advantage to DSL.. no one else can tap into your speed :)

RachelJ
04-14-2002, 12:50 PM
I'm still in the prehistoric ages with my 56K modem and a balky computer. The company I do work for pays for my hookup and reimbuses me for my telephone line, so essentially it is free to me. I know that if I ever try DSL I would be hooked, but so far the cheap side of me has won out.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-15-2002, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by RachelJ
I'm still in the prehistoric ages with my 56K modem and a balky computer. The company I do work for pays for my hookup and reimbuses me for my telephone line, so essentially it is free to me. I know that if I ever try DSL I would be hooked, but so far the cheap side of me has won out.

This is exactly what I used to think, Rachel, but now that I have it, I REALLY wish we could get it at home. IMHO, it is well worth the extra cost. I just can't believe how fast this thing is. Really makes the rest of my computer seem slow.

Got me and my boss hooked up and working now, so I should be back posting tomorrow. Missed everybody!

RachelJ
04-15-2002, 06:57 PM
You're talking me into it. heehee