PDA

View Full Version : What insturments do you play?

WolvesRawk
01-21-2006, 10:26 PM
Just wondering. I play violin, cello, and guitar. I want to learn trumpet. What insturments do you guys play? If you don't play any, what would you want to play?

.sarah
01-21-2006, 10:34 PM
I play the guitar, piano, banjo, harmonica, mandolin, and steel guitar. The guitar is my favorite, possibly because I play it the best, but I love playing all of them. Oh and I have an acustic, electric, and classical guitar but I love my classical the best -- it hurts the least :p They all sounds nice though!

I really want to learn the steel drum but don't have much time to learn at the moment.

WolvesRawk
01-21-2006, 10:41 PM
I only have an electric guitar. I'm going to get either an acoustic of a bass soon.

.sarah
01-21-2006, 10:43 PM
My brother has a bass and it really gets on my nerves lol. He just loves it so much and turns up the volume louuuudly which isn't my thing. Funny, I can go to a concert an not be bothered but otherwise loud music (loud bass, really) gives me a migraine. :(

Lady's Human
01-21-2006, 10:44 PM
I play trumpet, and have played trumpet, French Horn, Baritone horn, and euphonium. I used to be able to play piano to an extent, but can't play now beyond hacking out vocal parts that I'm learning.

WolvesRawk
01-21-2006, 10:47 PM
I know how you feel. I LOVE grums and percussion but my little brother got a drum set and just bangs and bangs. It really annoys me that he doesn't even do it right. My friend has taught me alot of percussion and I know how to tell right from wrong. He plays for hours and I get really bad headaches. Yet, I still sit in the back of the room where the percussion is at school when I practice.

WolvesRawk
01-21-2006, 10:48 PM
I play trumpet, and have played trumpet, French Horn, Baritone horn, and euphonium. I used to be able to play piano to an extent, but can't play now beyond hacking out vocal parts that I'm learning.Is trumpet fun? I've been wanting to play trumpet for a while but can't find someone willing to teach beginers in my area.

Lady's Human
01-21-2006, 11:05 PM
Trumpet can be a blast. I played in Jazz band all through high school, and played with another school when they were short a lead. It takes a lot of time to build up lip and jaw muscles, but I love playing. I'm surprised you can't find someone to teach you. :confused:

Kfamr
01-21-2006, 11:13 PM
I can play the guitar. I have 2 guitars that i'm trying to get rid of, one electric & 1 bass, as well as 2 amps. I just sold one of my electrics to a co-worker.

WolvesRawk
01-21-2006, 11:28 PM
Trumpet can be a blast. I played in Jazz band all through high school, and played with another school when they were short a lead. It takes a lot of time to build up lip and jaw muscles, but I love playing. I'm surprised you can't find someone to teach you. :confused:Baisically, around here, if you don't start playing brass at 6th grade, no one will teach you. Same with woodwind. You have to play piano at 4th grade to do percussion and you have to start strings in 5th grade. If not, no one wants you in their band or orchestra and you have to go to a different town for lessons. Almost all the music around here is based on the school band. :rolleyes:

Karen
01-21-2006, 11:29 PM
I play handbells currently. I play piano barely adequately - my left hand is slower than my right, and takes "barline vacations." If I took the time and practiced, I'd be better.

I used to play clarinet, but lent mine to my niece ten years ago, and haven't played since, so my embouchure is completely shot. In school, I also played Baritone Saxophone, Tenor and Alto Saxophone less frequently.

I can play a recorder, too.

Mostly, though, I sing.

Anita Cholaine
01-21-2006, 11:34 PM
I sutdied guitar for one yar, but it was a long time ago, and I don't remember very much... I'd love to play the piano, but I don't have to much time now...

WolvesRawk
01-21-2006, 11:34 PM
I play handbells currently. I play piano barely adequately - my left hand is slower than my right, and takes "barline vacations." If I took the time and practiced, I'd be better.
I can't play piano at all. I can do any other insturment but piano has never been nice to me. That's why I wasn't allowed to do percussion. I'm kicking myself for not BEGGING for piano lessons as a little kid.

Karen
01-21-2006, 11:47 PM
I can't play piano at all. I can do any other insturment but piano has never been nice to me. That's why I wasn't allowed to do percussion. I'm kicking myself for not BEGGING for piano lessons as a little kid.

Well, neither Lady's Human nor I (nor our other two siblings) had much of a choice. My mother was a piano teacher. Each of us had to get through the second book of the John Thompson series before we could start another instrument!

Piano, thankfully, is something you can learn at any age. My sister and her husband teach piano now, and specialize in adult students. Often my sister will teach a parent, and her husband the child, or vice versa!

It really just takes practice, practice and practice, which is why I am so mediocre at it. I didn't practice enough!

sandragonfly
01-21-2006, 11:48 PM
when I was younger, I used to be in piano classes... a music I can enjoy others, make less mistakes than other instruments you don't have to hear for better lessons. my father made me to, a very musical generation from his side he carried. actually, I liked it, would play it for fun someday. :)

whistling, my invisible instrument is all I can do now. :p

WolvesRawk
01-21-2006, 11:51 PM
I don't need to practice! On my keyboard, the keys light up so I can play those songs. (just kidding! I never use the dumb lights!)

Miss Z
01-22-2006, 03:16 AM
I used to play the keyboard very well, but i don't really play it a lot now so i'm not quite as good as i used to be. Playing the kyboard makes it easy to learn to play the piano. To an extent, i can play the recorder and guitar, but nothing much. I'm not particularly musical.

wolf_Q
01-22-2006, 03:26 AM
I can play the CD player. :D I'm quite talented at pushing buttons. ;)

I've never tried to learn how to play a musical instrument, other then like a "recorder" in grade school or something...

k9krazee
01-22-2006, 07:29 AM
I played the trumpet for a while in school and then I switched to the tuba. My mom made me quit band 2 years ago and I doubt I still know how to play either of them :( My sister got a guitar for her birthday so I've been trying to teach myself that ;)

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
01-22-2006, 09:29 AM
I play french horn and have for... going on... *counting* once I finish this year in highschool, my junior year, it will be 5 years. I love playing it, it sounds beautiful and is a pretty unique instrument. I also play guitar. :) I'm not a big fan of electric yet, but it'll grow on me. Lol...

Samantha Puppy
01-22-2006, 10:59 AM
I play flute, piccolo and piano.

Roxyluvsme13
01-22-2006, 11:16 AM
I used to play recorder in Elementary School, and Now I play Clarinet.

Almita
01-22-2006, 12:38 PM
I play the guitar, piano, bass guitar, and violin. I have 1 bass and two acoustics and I'm getting a new one.

Toby's my baby
01-22-2006, 12:54 PM
I play french horn and have for... going on... *counting* once I finish this year in highschool, my junior year, it will be 5 years. I love playing it, it sounds beautiful and is a pretty unique instrument. ...

Me too!!! I hate it though :p. I'm the only one in my band that plays it. . .. so when we play a song where the French Horn only plays or something, I get totally embarrassed, cause I know i will screw up! ;) :p I also play piano, and have for. . .6 or so years. I've played in church, and in talent contests and stuff. And my sister is teaching my how to play the flute too. :p

WolvesRawk
01-22-2006, 01:39 PM
. .. so when we play a song where the French Horn only plays or something, I get totally embarrassed, cause I know i will screw up! ;)I know how that is. I'm the only cello player so I have tons of solos.

joanofark
01-22-2006, 01:42 PM
I played the recorder in Grade school, too:p Now I play Piano... I sing in choir more, though:)

WolvesRawk
01-22-2006, 01:45 PM
Am I the only one who has never played recorder?

Roxyluvsme13
01-22-2006, 01:46 PM
Maybe! lol :p

joanofark
01-22-2006, 01:54 PM

LOL, it sure does look like it!!! :D

Roxyluvsme13
01-22-2006, 01:55 PM
OH well, I'm the only person who plays the clarinet :p

Uabassoon
01-22-2006, 01:59 PM
My main instrument is bassoon (that's where my user name comes from) I studied music in college so I was required to learn most instruments. I'm not great, but I'm proficient on most brass and woodwind instruments as well as percussion.

I'm pretty good at piano and guitar although it's been a while since I've played.

I also play steel drums and have been able to go to Trinidad twice to play the Panorama festival. I know there are a few people here on PT who have my CD that I produced with the steel drum group I used to play with.

Roxyluvsme13
01-22-2006, 02:01 PM
My main instrument is bassoon (that's where my user name comes from) I studied music in college so I was required to learn most instruments. I'm not great, but I'm proficient on most brass and woodwind instruments as well as percussion.

I'm pretty good at piano and guitar although it's been a while since I've played.

I also play steel drums and have been able to go to Trinidad twice to play the Panorama festival. I know there are a few people here on PT who have my CD that I produced with the steel drum group I used to play with.
Bassoons are Awesome! In our band we only have one. :)

WolvesRawk
01-22-2006, 05:23 PM
So far, no one else plays cello I guess. :cool:

Steel drum seems rather fun.

dab_20
01-22-2006, 06:25 PM
I have been playing piano for 3 1/2 years. I'd really love to learn how to play the drums or guitar.

I used to play the clarinet.

Chilli
01-22-2006, 07:29 PM
I can play the Trumpet, Bass, Acoustic, Harmonica, Piano (Keyboard, too...), and a wee bit of Clarinet. :D
Of course, like most, I played recorder a long time ago.
I own one acoustic.. and I've played Acoustic for around five years.
I own one bass... and I've played for about four years.
Trumpet for four years.... own two.
Piano for three.... don't own one, but I practice on the keyboard and I play one at my friend's house.
Harmonica for one year.... only own one.
My sister plays Clarinet and she taught me a bit....
... and I plan on getting a double bass sometime this year.
Music is my life, basically.

dab_20
01-22-2006, 07:42 PM
Wow, amazing how you all know how to play all of that!

Chilli, i also practice on a keyboard at home and use a piano at my lesson. And I also played the recorder.

WolvesRawk
01-22-2006, 07:43 PM
Wow, Chilli. You play alot of insturments! That's cool.

Cincy'sMom
01-22-2006, 10:18 PM
I took flute lessons in grade school, and then played french horn in high school.

cocker_luva
01-22-2006, 10:45 PM
i used to play the cello.

WolvesRawk
01-23-2006, 05:17 PM
i used to play the cello.Cool! Another cello player! I thought I was the only one for a while! :p

Roxyluvsme13
01-23-2006, 05:21 PM
Yay for Bands, Orchestras, and anything else music related! :D

Flatcoatluver
01-23-2006, 05:24 PM
I played the flute.