PDA

View Full Version : Urg, I'm so upset

slleipnir
01-21-2006, 03:51 PM
Everyday after work I go to a school yard to run Zeke. He listens well to me off leash, for the most part. Today I was playing chase, and I thought he was right behind me so I took off running...but I guess he saw a dog...anyway, I turnedaround aftera min and he was gone so I was like "what?" so I kinda called him and he didn't come, so I ran to the front of the school and yelled for him. He came around the corner and I grabbed him. I was upset that he ran off so I told him we were done playing seeing he ran off. Now, it is kinda my fault. If I had been watching more carefully I would have caught him running off and he likely wouldn't have. So I got my leash and put it on, and some guy yells (from far off mind you) "Put that dog on a leash!!!!" I was like...come tell me to my face. Geez. That pissed me off more than Zeke running off. I couldn't even explain the situation, so it looks like I'm one of those crazy people who doesn't give a damn and lets her dog run anywhere. I got so upset about it all...He had a dog, so I don't know if his dog got excited or tried to fight Zeke. I've NEVER seen a dog Zeke just went up to to fight...he ONLY went up to the dog to play. He loves dogs. Yes, it is still my fault, but he didn't have to be rude about it...he could have come to me instead of yelling from far away. He could have grabbed Zeke and said "Oh, I got your dog for you" (as I was calling him) URG. I feel sick to my stomach. I know it's such a small thing..but now I feel like I'm a bad person and that this guy is thinking I'm a horrible owner....I've been working so hard with Zeke..I feel like a failure cause one dog is horrible, and the other doesn't always listen if there is a dog around...sorry. Needed to vent

MariaM
01-21-2006, 05:04 PM
Audrey you know you are a great dog owner! :p Why do you think Zeke came running to you? Major probably wouldn't have come to me if there was another dog lol. Anyway, don't worry, the guy might have been in a bad mood and may regret saying it. Or he could just be a grouch, who knows. Don't let him bother you. :)

BC_MoM
01-21-2006, 06:45 PM
You know, I really get hot headed when people say things like that to me.. but you know what I've tried doing lately? Just laughing.

1) It calms you down
2) It ticks the other person off ;)

lv4dogs
01-23-2006, 09:45 AM
I understand why you were upset but please do not be upset to the guy who yelled that. After all you didn't see what happened maybe his dog is aggressive or is old or ill or something?
Maybe he didn't want to come up to you to tell you to your face because his dog was upset or annoyed about the issue & he didn't want to make it any worse.

I know if a dog came running up to Raustyk while I was walking her I would of said the same thing. As hard as I try & as much as I dislike it she just isn't always dog friendly.
I know accidents happen but you have to be careful * keep a very watchful eye out when your dog is offlead too.

I'm glad he came back. :D

Denyce
01-23-2006, 10:23 AM
I become very upset and scared and angry when I am out walking Sequoia in a public place and a dog is off leash. I don't know the other dog or it's intentions when it is racing towards my dog are to play or to fight to just meet. I only know how Sequoia is going to act and that is most times aggressive. I feel it is extremely unfair and irresponsible to allow your dog off leash in an public area that isn't specifically designated to dogs being off leash such as a dog park. I won't take Sequoia anywhere near a dog park because of her attitude. I am responsible for that and I expect other dog owners to also be responsible. I will yell at someone who has purposely allowed their dog to run off leash in a rude manner. I figure they have been rude initially in allowing their dog off leash in the first place. When there are leash laws in place then I have the right to be able to walk my dog on a public street or in a public park without the fear that some other dog is going to be off leash and come running up to mine. I am obeying the law and being a responsible dog owner I expect others to be the same.

I know I am coming off harsh to you here and I am very very glad that you got your dog back and nothing bad happened. All I am saying is that you have to be responsible for your own actions and that includes having to deal with someone else being angry and rude to you in response to YOUR initial behavoir. If it is an accident then that is a totally different situation but this wasn't.

Also how awful would you feel if your dog went racing up to a child who was terrified of dogs. Perhaps your dog is friendly and only wants to play and be nice to the child but he/she doesn't know that and doesn't deserve to be traumetized by the situation. I am sorry I just don't feel it is right to allow your dog to run loose in a situation such as this.

However as I also said earlier I am very glad you got Zeke back and nothing happened to him.