PDA

View Full Version : How about a Southeast Pet Talk Gathering?

DoggiesAreTheBest
04-11-2002, 06:57 AM
If you voted yes, Maybe you can post where you live and when we tally the votes, we can decide what place would be the best to meet. How about that?

Fuzzy317
04-11-2002, 07:49 AM
I would like to meet other people from Pet Talk. I am northeast of Atlanta, Georgia. I will be meeting someone from Pet Talk today for lunch.

I will try and keep a running list of the responses.
3 Georgia
2 Massachusetts
1 Michigan
1 New York
1 North Carolina (AmberLee's)
1 South Carolina
2 Texas
1 Vermont.

Logan
04-11-2002, 07:58 AM
How neat, Fuzzy! :D

I live in Greenville, SC, about two hours east of Atlanta. I have no idea where we could meet, but we need to do it!! :)

Logan
04-11-2002, 09:06 AM
Atlanta and Columbia have wonderful zoos, Chuck. At the Greenville Zoo, which is quite small, we have white tigers, which I need to go see!!! :) I'm sure we could find something good to do. At Myrtle Beach, there is a Ripley's Aquarium and a neat place called the Butterfly Pavillion. In Charleston there is the SC Aquarium. Plenty of things to do around here. But the summers are HOT as you know, of course all of us who live in the south are used to that!

jennifert
04-11-2002, 09:17 AM
I live in NY but I would drive down for a Southeast meeting!!

aly
04-11-2002, 10:05 AM
I voted maybe because it depends on the timing and place. I am always up for a Pet Talk meeting if my schedule allows. In fact, I'm off to pack my car for Dallas now!!! :D

Daisylover
04-11-2002, 10:15 AM
I'm in Michigan and would consider driving down for such an event.... It would of course depend on when and if I can get the time off from work but this is really a great idea!;)

sasvermont
04-11-2002, 10:18 AM
I would drive South for something like this.....I like the south...and I do have a car.....

Sara luvs her Tinky
04-11-2002, 11:35 AM
I would come for sure :D !! I am in Hampton Georgia / about 20 min from atlanta. The Ripley's aquariums are real cool and Atlanta has a Zoo too. I have been to the Tennessee Zoo and didn't like it at all :( . Atlanta also has Stone Mountain there are really no animals to see there but we could all bring our pets and let them play in the big outdoors. :)

Fuzzy317
04-11-2002, 02:09 PM
I think Stone Mountain would be nice for us locals, but it may not be convenient for people coming a distance. I think DoggiesAreTheBest is trying to find a place kind of in the middle, so no one has a huge distance to travel.

AmberLee
04-11-2002, 02:14 PM
I voted "maybe" because my job's insecure right now and money's a concern, but ... One of my main loves behind the fur-babies is genealogy, and I've been promising myself a trip to North Carolina (Stanly county) to fill in some research. If it wasn't in mid-summer (I wilt in heat) it would be a blast to combine the trips if at all possible.

Karen
04-11-2002, 02:48 PM
It would depend on when and where, but we'd always try ... We've driven to Florida, to Tennessee and to South Carolina on different occaisions, so though it's a long drive, it's not "too" long. Of course, SasVermont has to pass THROUGH Massachusetts to get South, we'd have to pass through NY, NJ, and maybe we could make some sort of "gather 'em up as we go" sort of deal! I didn't vote, though because it'd depend on when and all that ...

AdoreMyDogs
04-15-2002, 08:52 AM
If it's possible to meet in MI, the Detroit Zoo is really nice. They used to be just OK, but they just made a huge amount of renovations and it has turned out to be a fantastic zoo. I just went on Easter Sunday and I was very, very impressed at the quality of everything. They just added the most fantastic polor bear exibit I have ever seen.

The zoo is in a city called Royal Oak where I grew up. It's a really nice city with a pretty booming downtown area. Lots to do and lots to see. It is a very artistic, liberal city. Lots of art shops, lots of really good resturaunts, and really neat shops of all kinds. It's a fun city.

I would love to do a SE pet talk gathering, and I am willing to drive to a certain distance, but don't know if I could commit to anything if the drive is too far.

aly
04-15-2002, 10:05 AM
Leslie, I'll be in Detroit sometime over the summer if my schedule permits. If not, I'll be there either before or after my NYC trip. I have grandparents and other family just outside of Detroit. Maybe we can meet :)

AdoreMyDogs
04-15-2002, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by aly
Leslie, I'll be in Detroit sometime over the summer if my schedule permits. If not, I'll be there either before or after my NYC trip. I have grandparents and other family just outside of Detroit. Maybe we can meet :)

You bet! I know you aren't bringing Reece & Lolly to NYC, but will you by chance be bringing them to Detroit area when you come here? I'd love to meet you either way, but I think you know how much I love those pups of yours :) I'd also like you to meet my furkids :) That would be fun. I would really, really like to meet you. Just let me know aprox. when you are coming. I am going on vacation within the first week of July, but that's about all we have planned as of now. This summer we will be buying our house and I am not sure how much time it will be taking, or what work will need to be done to it before we move in, but I am hoping it'll be quick and easy.

Let me know :)

aly
04-15-2002, 10:30 AM
I'll let you know an approximate time as soon as I figure one out. I have to get with my work and see when a good time will be. I know I won't be there at the beginning of July because I'm dog sitting my friend's little Dachshund. I REALLY hope to bring either Reece, Lolly, or both. I was so happy that some Pet Talkers got to meet them this weekend. You just can't see quite how cute they are through pictures. Reece is quite the little traveler but Lolly doesn't do too well. We'll see. I'm going to possibly start her in agility to boost her confidence.

Anyway, I'll let you know when I find out I'm going :)

thelmalu99
04-15-2002, 04:49 PM
Okay, I'll put my name down for this PT gathering. I know I did for the Dallas one, too and ended up not making it, but I really would like to meet everyone. Like AmberLee, I also wilt in the heat, so if it's too far south, how about in the fall? :D

Aly, when will you be in NYC? Wanna meet when you're here? :cool:

aly
04-15-2002, 05:01 PM
I'll be there October 7th and won't be coming back to Texas until mid November. I have the internship 5 and a half days a week, but I'm sure I'll have time to meet, probably Sundays are the best. But we can talk more as the time approaches.

Logan
04-15-2002, 05:26 PM
I'm wondering if Atlanta might be a good place to meet.....not necessarily in the summertime, obviously, but if people are planning to fly in, then it would be a perfect airport for them to come through. Those of us in the surrounding states can drive there pretty easily. There is a lot to do there, or we could do nothing! LOL!! Just talk and talk!! :D I didn't get over 4000 posts (between this nickname and my previous one) without being a blabbermouth, you know. :o

We have several members of this board who live close to Atlanta, who might have good ideas of nice spots to visit while we are there. I have found that Atlanta is not a bad place to be on the weekends. Traffic is not nearly as bad. Helen and I have had several nice weekend trips down there, and I love the zoo.

Just a thought. This is one trip that we will bend over backwards to make! :D

Cincy'sMom
04-15-2002, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by aly
I'll be in Detroit sometime over the summer if my schedule permits.

Aly-Toledo is only about an hour from Detroit....

delidog
04-15-2002, 10:13 PM
that was a very good point to use atlanta....if anyone has tried to cross this country using an aircraft...you know that "the whole world changes in atlanta!!!".....
my original suggestion was going to be d.c....as it isn't the nicest city in the world...or the east for that matter...there is lots to do...all the sights are free...i.e....smithsonian,memorials,art museums,and most of al the ZOO is fabulous....they are running a show about it on animal planet right now.......there is also georgetown for the evenings enjoyment...and daytime shopping....
i was thinking it might be more of a centrally located distance....

shais_mom
04-16-2002, 12:36 AM
I may be up for it if it was farther north.
Aly, Upper Sandusky is only an hour and half from Toledo. Nudge nudge hint hint!!

lbaker
04-16-2002, 04:51 AM
I already told the TX Meet people about D.C. and the free attractions so that sounds great!! Three major airports and mid-Atlantic to boot. One thing though...I don't know if I could do as well as Spencer at organizing the whole thing :o Our TX meeting took awhile to get together but Fall is beautiful in D.C. I love Atlanta and Stone Mt sounds heavenly so we could bring our babes, well... that may be a consideration for some but I hate to sound selfish cause not all could travel with the "guys". It's not always the destination but the journey that's important - and just knowing how many of us want it is sooooo beautiful :cool: And let's not forget a trip to the So. CA area (right Jackie??) :cool: :cool: Laurie

Fuzzy317
04-16-2002, 04:57 AM
I vote for Stone Mountain, Ga. I could take my dogs, you could all see how big Ginger has grown.

zippy-kat
04-16-2002, 08:41 AM
I'm not voting yet cos we all know how the TX trip turned out for me (though I would've been there in a heartbeat if we wouldn't have made the Zone Championship competition).

At any rate, Atlanta (depending on the date) is do-able for me....have relatives down there!

lbaker
04-16-2002, 08:47 AM
Tonya, (aka ZippyCat) you have relatives in WV too don't you?? That's close to DC. And Aly, if you go to NY let me know!! It's just a hop skip and away for me (sorta). I still think we should try someplace where Phred could join us:D Laurie

zippy-kat
04-16-2002, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by lbaker
Tonya, (aka ZippyCat) you have relatives in WV too don't you?? That's close to DC.

Yes ma'am I sure do!

jennifert
04-16-2002, 10:00 AM
Either place works for me but since, more than likely, I will be driving (and picking up Thelmalu on the way!!,) DC makes more sense for me. My brother lives in Columbia Maryland which isn't too far so I could bring Duncan and have a place to stay.
But Atlanta seems like it is more convenient for more people so that's fine with me too!! :D

jackiesdaisy1935
04-16-2002, 10:15 AM
I think Atlanta would be good, of course as Laurie pointed out So. Ca is beautiful in the fall, weather nice in the 70s etc.
Don and I would go depending on how I feel, that is a week to week thing right now, will probably find out on Monday whether have to have hip surgery or not.
I don't like to leave Perry and Daisy but I could have my son come live here for a weekend, stay Fri to Sun or Mon. and take care of them. My daughter and I went to Stone Mountain and it's beautiful, quite a place to visit, but I think you do have to drive within it as it is quite a large area.
Jackie

mruffruff
04-16-2002, 11:21 AM
Wherever, whenever, I'll do whatever it takes to be there!

Mary

Dixieland Dancer
04-16-2002, 12:02 PM
I like the idea of Washington DC. Perhaps we should have two different meetings one for the South East and one for the North East.

Just a suggestion! :D

Former User
04-16-2002, 12:32 PM
And don't forget to take TONZ of pictures! :D :D :D

thelmalu99
04-16-2002, 06:27 PM
Aly, so I guess I'll seeya in October!! :D

Jen, Thanks for the offer to pick me up on the way to the meeting! I'll definitely take you up on that. Unfortunately, I don't drive, so I can't help out there, but I can certainly help with the gas! Plus, it will give us plenty of time for a blabfest! :D

Laurie, It would be very cool if you could come to NY when Aly's here! We'll do lunch and cocktails, dahling! Maybe Jen can come down from Syracuse, too.
Sorry I missed the TX meeting; I was so looking forward to hanging out.

Logan, I'm a big talker, too, LOL! We will have to fight each other for air time! ;)

DoggiesAreTheBest
04-16-2002, 06:31 PM
I have been away for a few days and am having a hard time catching up. So, what is the verdict?

I think it would be nice to have one bog meeting, but it may be more realistic to have a Southeast and a Northeast.

If people want to have it in Georgia, I can start looking up palces that are pet friendly. We will need to set a date and get an approximate count of people.

Jackie, when I read about the possibility of you coming to Georgia, I almost did some cartwheels! I know that Logan, Candy, Sara, Mary, and Scott will be able to make it as well. I am also terribly excited at the thought of meeting Jenni.

There are other palces we can meet other than Atlanta. South Carolina isn't too far either and neither is Birmingham in AL. I am open to anything.

Sara luvs her Tinky
04-18-2002, 12:07 AM
I'M IN THIS TIME THERE IS NO STOPPING ME!!!!! The hubby said that I couldn't go to the Texas meeting he said it is too far for me to travel alone :rolleyes: I'm sure he was just lookin out for me............. anyway I know this is a VERY VERY VERY farfetched idea ...BUT... if the meeting place is Atlanta...... we could all go to Six Flags and break the ice on some scary rides :p But we do have a real nice zoo and Stone mtn is cool too and they are close by each other. We are planning on building an aquarium but I hope to meet you guys before it comes along. Tennessee has 2 cool aquariums and we could do some mountain stuff like horse back riding. But Washing DC sounds cool too.... can't wait till this all comes together!!!!!

lbaker
04-18-2002, 08:37 AM
Sometimes $.02. are worth about half that, I think we're doing just fine.... Laurie

Logan
04-18-2002, 09:15 AM
The planning is half the fun of it, isn't it? We're all getting to think about the fun things we can do. Please don't rain on our parade, Tutone. We're having a good time, just thinking about ideas and the fact that we will be able to make this a reality! :) Sounds like the Texas meeting was such a great success and some heavy planning went into that one.

I don't know about Six Flags....some people's faces might turn this color :p on roller coasters!! I personally love them, but I think a more laid back environment where we can talk and enjoy each other is probably the best idea. And I would LOVE to bring my dogs, but that may not be realistic, especially for Honey Homebody. :o

We've got plenty of time to decide what to do, but I'm glad we're starting early, so some of the people who have to travel farther can start making preliminary plans. :)

Isn't this fun?? :D

Karen
04-18-2002, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by tutone
OK, I'm going to chime in even though I will not be involved in any shape form or fashion, but here goes -

I don't quite understand why, if you are all wanting to get together to meet for the first time, why you are spending so much time on the "what to do" part of it. Beyond meals, what do you have to "do"? The idea would be to chat and mingle, wouldn't it?

And, even if you decide that "doing" something would help break the ice, why go to all this trouble to pick the perfect locale if the "to do" list is the zoo. Doesn't every major city have a zoo? How is that so special that it's a must?

The Texas folks were making fervent plans to go to a chain restaurant and a chain mall. With all the unique interesting places to see in the Dallas-Fort Worth area!

Maybe that's why you didn't have as big a turn out as you expected - the people who wanted to chat may have been afraid that would not be possible with the itinerary, and the people who had never been to the area may have yearned to see the sites that are particular to the area.

Sorry, just my $.02.

Hey, there - you weren't there, we were. We basically spent Friday getting to know each other, at our picnic dinner - complete with flying coleslaw ... all the "events" we planned invloved being together and walking around together.

It was nice to have a "focal point" animal place to go, which just added to the experience! And folks had time to see other things in the area, too! Let those who didn't come speak to their reasons, let's not speculate about others' reasons for going - or not going!

Plan away, folks! :)

lynnestankard
04-18-2002, 10:24 AM
Once again - guess who wont be able to make it?!! Right on!
Should I begin to get really jealous right now and work up to 'flaming mad' or try and forget the whole thing!! As if!!
:eek: :eek:
So I'll just sit here very quietly and read everything - with the odd UK explosion when things get too difficult!!:mad: :mad:

Lynne

lynnestankard
04-18-2002, 02:44 PM
Thanks Chuck for trying to make me feel better - IT DIDN'T WORK!!!
I WANT TO GO!!!:( :( :(

Lynne

wolflady
04-18-2002, 04:33 PM
Lynne, am I right in that you may be coming to the US for a visit sometime in....October??!!:D :D If so, we should arrange a PT meeting here on the West Coast somewhere during the time you'll be here!! I'm all up for that!:D

AdoreMyDogs
04-18-2002, 05:27 PM
I was talking to a couple of different co-workers who couldn't have spoken highly enough about D.C.. I have never been and would REALLY like to go. My vote would be for the second PT meeting to be in Washington D.C.. I would be bringing my dogs, or at least Graham since Kersey has motion sickness, and I would be driving.

So that would be great for me. I know that we all have to agree, but I would love to see the capitol of this wonderful country. I would be game for either springtime or fall. I wilt in the extreme heat, and it's no fun to drive in the middle of the winter.

AmberLee
04-18-2002, 07:33 PM
I was excited about the idea of a SE PT gathering, but when DC was suggested, my heart gave an excited bound! I am open to other locations, but would love to see DC again. (My first and only visit was in July 25 years ago and ... July isn't the best time for a visit there.) I'd like to chip in a vote for DC.

(Is it too early to vote on locations?)

Karen
04-18-2002, 08:16 PM
The joy of a DC meeting would be that lots of things, like museums, and the National Zoo - are free! We pay for them with our taxes, so we don't have to pay again when we get there. Lbaker, Laurie, lives in that area, and reminded us of the "free" part when we were chatting in Texas last weekend :)

But there are so many places, so many people ... do let us know if something remotely concrete is decided! ;)

AdoreMyDogs
04-18-2002, 09:06 PM
When the voting starts, you can count me in for D.C.!

Spencer, I don't know....I don't have a kitty, but I have two kitty-friendly dogs...I don't think it would be safe for me to go to a place with adoptable cats of *****normal size****** unlike the big cats that you saw in TX :) If we do go there, someone blindfold me so I can't see any homeless kitty faces staring at me :)

Kfamr
04-18-2002, 09:23 PM
Leslie, and all michiganers.... im not sure or not if we are going to go to MI this summer because of the money involved and my dads back... but if we do i sure will tell you all and set up something.... and if we dont have a big meating , i can always come and meet you Leslie... ever since i "met" ypou i have wanted to really meet you. And since Graham and Simba are so photogenic, i could get some pics of them together!!!!!.... and of course Kersey but i dont know how Simba would do with TWO other dogs!

Fuzzy317
04-18-2002, 09:35 PM
Here is a link to Stone Mountain Park (http://www.stonemountainpark.com/) in Georgia.

The site says:

"Dogs and cats are welcome to visit the Park. They must be kept on a leash no longer than 6 feet and they are not allowed in many of the public areas including the Lasershow Lawn, the Walk Up Trail, or Special Events Areas. Pets are also not allowed on the attractions."

I sent a question about what pets are allowed to do. I am hoping for response.

Fuzzy317
04-19-2002, 10:23 PM
This is what I was sent by Stone Mountain Park person:

According to the Park's Ordinance 8-106 - Pets and Other Animals:

No pets other than dogs and cats are allowed in the Park.

Pets must be kept at all times on a leash not exceeding six feet in length. The person having custody or control of such animal is responsible for the removal of pet waste.

Pets are NOT permitted in the following areas of the Park: Beach and bathing areas; lakes; golf course; all buildings; hiking/nature trails; anywhere on the surface of the mountain within the perimeter of the railroad track surrounding the mountain including the walk-up trail to the top of the mountain; attractions; Memorial Lawn; Laser Show; at special events; or in any other area with signs posted prohibiting pets.

Pets cannot be left unattended and/or locked in a closed vehicle between the dates of May 1 and September 30.

Pets are allowed at the Campground if kept on a leash.

Karen
04-19-2002, 10:29 PM
What's left - they're allowed in the parking lots?

Fuzzy317
04-19-2002, 10:35 PM
I agree Karen, I sent the email specifically asking what pets COULD do. It was only the last line, 1 line out of 10 or so lines, that said what they could do. :rolleyes:

Stone Mountain may not be as pet friendly as I had thought. :(

Sara luvs her Tinky
04-19-2002, 10:48 PM
Stone Mtn. is a really big place.... Pets are probably not allowed on the Laser show field because people sit on the ground and no one wants to sit in any messes. Other than that there are a good many other places where pets are allowed parking is right next to these areas and there are picnic tables and grills some areas are shady and some places are out in the open...... hope this helps some too.:)
It could be a henderence if anyone wanted to hike up the mtn. or go inside to see the memorials, but it could be cool if we just wanted to sit outside and chat..........

lbaker
04-20-2002, 07:11 AM
I've made a few VERY prelimenary inquiries and have found several petfriendly hotels in DC. One in particular is in NW district right off RockCreek Park, just down the street from the zoo and on the metro line. Very beautiful and safe part of town. Just as with TX they have a weekend special of about $80 per night.. a serious discount if you look at normal prices. One does NOT want to have to drive downtown if you don't have to. Metro goes right to museums and monuments. We would have to arrange for a pet sitter when going to attractions for those that would bring their babes. I could help with that. October would be good if Aly could get away from NY for a weekend (remember? she should be in NY for that period of time). That being said, I still would like to think about a mid-west meet so Phred could come. Whatever happened to that idea somewhere around some lake that was not too far from the Chicago area? Or am I just having a senior moment again:o Laurie

aly
04-22-2002, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by Karen

We basically spent Friday getting to know each other, at our picnic dinner - complete with flying coleslaw ...

Hehe. Chuck will NEVER live that one down!

thelmalu99
04-23-2002, 11:05 AM
Hey everyone! Just thought I'd check in, I haven't been around much, but I have been lurking. So much has been going on!
I'm not trying to stir up more trouble, but I just want to say for the record that I didn't make it to Dallas because of financial problems. It had nothing to do with the plans that were being made. I had been looking forward to the Pet Talk meeting ever since we started talking about it, and now I'm hoping and praying that I'll be able to make the second meeting!
If I could have afforded it, I would have gone to Dallas even if the plan had been to do calisthenics in the rain.
Well, maybe not...:D :D

So, where are these pictures from the Dallas meeting? Are they posted somewhere? I'm dying to see them! :)

DoggiesAreTheBest
04-23-2002, 12:37 PM
So far, there are 13 Yes and 4 Maybe. How about we vote on a location next? Does that sound good? I will start up a poll but would like to make sure that I have my options right: Atlanta, GA and DC.

jennifert
04-23-2002, 12:42 PM
Souraya, sounds good to me. Perhaps we should pick a place, then a time....or vice versa?

DoggiesAreTheBest
04-23-2002, 12:59 PM
Jenni, this is what I was thinking! Great minds think alike!
I am getting too excited!

Logan
04-23-2002, 01:26 PM
Souraya, if I could pull you into some of these transports for All Pets Rescue, I might meet you sooner than later!!! :o

Are you game for an Atlanta or Gainesville run to Anderson???

DoggiesAreTheBest
04-23-2002, 01:42 PM
Yeah, I am game! When?

I will do a transport with you anytime! Just let me know when I can help!

Logan
04-23-2002, 01:49 PM
Will do!!! May I add you to their list??? Email or Private Message me with your email information. Seems like we have potential runs from the Atlanta area almost every weekend!! I'm doing one on Saturday, as a matter of fact!!

My email is: [email protected]

delidog
04-23-2002, 10:43 PM
when would you like answers to the where part of the s.e. pet talk meeting...i have my vote ready.....

cr7clark
04-28-2002, 07:17 AM
Anyone wishing to do a Southeast pet talk meeting in DC, let me know, I have a condo there and it sleeps six!
I've been away a while because of being busy here at work....it's nice to be back. I miss talking to everyone, this is a great group of folks!
Miss Bo sends love and scratches to everyone (Casper, Kitty, Livvy, Cassy, Tsoomi, etc. etc.). She is in the pink of health, just runs around the house, eats like a horse and generally charms the socks off her owners!
Love and Hugs to all,
Bo's Mom (Connie):)

Former User
04-28-2002, 07:20 AM
Yay, Connie is here, parteee!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love and scraches back at you Miss Bo!