PDA

View Full Version : Scooter - A Rescue

K & L
01-20-2006, 02:11 PM
Awhile back we TNR’d a mom cat and her 3 siblings (all black). In the last couple weeks we noticed one of the little ones was always squatting as if he had diarrhea, and didn’t seem to be growing like the others. We tried catching him a few times with no success. Finally Tuesday evening Kevin was able to nab him by the scruff of the neck. We got a call from the vet the following morning saying he, Scooter (cause he was always dragging his bottom), has a deformed penis with a very small opening. His urine was only dribbling out. They weren’t sure of his outcome, but he tested negative and of course had already been neutered. They ran blood work (normal procedure before surgery) and all came back better than expected. Scooter underwent surgery to enlarge penis opening yesterday morning. All went well and today he will have the catheter removed to see if he’s going on his own.

OK, now the dilemma is what will happen to him once he’s released? He’s feral and not very tame, and we’re getting our company in so no spare rooms available for at least a week. UGH……rescue is not always an easy thing.

We will post his picture once we pick him up from the vets. Of course he’s just adorable!

Catty1
01-20-2006, 02:39 PM
All I can think of is borrowing a really large dog cage and putting it in a 'safe' room - though he might be able to squeeze through the bars. But if he knows where his box and food are, he might know to go back to it.

You can also drape it with a large bath sheet or blanket, so he can't see all the scary hooman 'monsters'! :D

You'll be busy with company, so it will give him time to settle in on his own.

Poor little guy, back to the House of Pointy Things! :)

Wish I could suggest something else. Someone here will have a brainwave.

Laura's Babies
01-20-2006, 03:43 PM
YES! Cage him somewhere until you know he is going to be alright! You have brought him to far to mess up now... I bet he will be one happy kitty now that he can pee normally! Bless his little heart.

moosmom
01-20-2006, 04:14 PM
I would also suggest getting a large crate or cage that will fit the cat, small litterbox and food dishes. It's only temporary and should help you out till your company leaves.

catnapper
01-20-2006, 05:03 PM
Poor Scooter.... lucky Scooter! I bet he was completely miserable, glad you were able to help him. I'm sure you;ll find a solution as to where to put the dear boy!

catmandu
01-20-2006, 05:20 PM
That cage does sound like the only viable alternative,until you see how the Operation went,and whether Scooter will be able to adapt,

jenluckenbach
01-20-2006, 05:55 PM
What follow-up treatments would he need (let's say if he were a pet and could have everything he needs)? If he will be medically OK without any further intervention, I say release him. :( I know everyone would love to see him become the next Kurby, but not all cats are tamable. Depends on his age.

If you think he is tamable, CAGE him. (I am certain you have a cage somewhere)

But don't feeel bad if you feel the need to release him. We can't save them ALL and you gave him what he needs to survive.

Catty1
01-20-2006, 06:12 PM
At the cat kennel where I work, we use large dog cages as overflow rooms.(We only use them if we HAVE to, as the regular rooms are all arborite and glass).

However, there is room for a jumbo litter box, towel/blanket and food dishes. We have blankets to cover all sides except the door, so the cat doesn't see other eyes staring at it!

There is not a lot of room to play in the cage - though Scooter is small, might be ok - but it should be just fine. Again, my only concern is him squeezing thru the bars - but if you keep the door to your room closed, might be ok.

Catty1

kimlovescats
01-21-2006, 09:49 AM
Wow, Lisa ... I am so glad that you all noticed he was having problems. The poor little guy must be feeling quite a relief now that he has had his surgery!
I am sure that whatever decision you make will be the best! Hugs to you for another job well done! ;)

Lizzie
01-21-2006, 04:04 PM
I hate to suggest adding to your work load, especially when you are doing so much already to help ferals, but I also hope that you use a large cage. As you know, confinement is part of the routine to socialize feral cats and a week of this "treatment" will show you whether you should release him with a "fare thee well, we helped you as much as possible", or consider that with foster care he could turn into an adoptable cat. I feel guilty even suggesting this since I know the numbers of cats needing homes are incredibly high and you can't keep him.

K & L
01-21-2006, 04:41 PM
Thanks everyone for your input. Just a quick update here since company is on the way from the airport and time has been very stretched this week.

The vet called this morning and said Scooter is doing very well. He said he is peeing on his own and eating! He is very concerned to not have us put him back in the park, and there may be someone at the office that may want him! He said he had a major surgery where his reproductive organs were totally rerouted.

We were planning on secluding him in a large cage that we already have from the many other rescues. Our main concern is what to do with him once he is healed (if he doesn't find a home). Our vets concern with the person that wants him is she is young and with limited funds. If Scooter would need any additional medical needs she may not have the $$$ to do this with. That is a concern for us also.

Luckily he will remain through the weekend at the vets to be monitored and watched. Come Monday we'll have to figure out where to put the cage etc. If it wasn't for every room of our house being occupied by company we'd have a spare bedroom or bath for him.

I will try and get on here and update you with his progress and outcome of adoption. We just couldn't let this little guy go without trying to help him after all he has done to fight to live so far.

jenluckenbach
01-21-2006, 05:10 PM
Well, we all cross that "need for money" bridge when we get to it. I don't think any of us would ever take in a new animal if we thought of all the "what ifs".

Glad he is doing well.

Catty1
01-21-2006, 05:46 PM
Kirsten - is there room for the cage in your own bedroom? And that way Scooter would get accustomed to you.

Or if this girl really wants him - maybe arrange with the vet for some gift certificates/credit to get her thru the first year? I know you need funds for your fosters - but do you have friends that would chip in on a litter-and-box-and-food starter kit for Scooter?

(of course, he just might wind up with you! he he he)

I am SO glad he is better.

Looking forward to the update.

krazyaboutkatz
01-22-2006, 01:36 AM
I'm glad to hear that Scooter is doing well and that he may also be adopted. :) Please continue to keep us updated.

orangemm
01-22-2006, 08:06 AM
Can't wait to see a picture of Scooter! He's lucky he found you. :)