PDA

View Full Version : Fip

mruffruff
01-19-2006, 03:18 PM
A co-worker has just trapped a large, feral, stray cat that has been hiding in her basement with her other cats. He was just tested positive for FIP.

He was going to be neutered and let out at work where we feed a few ferals. There is no chance that he could be adopted or fostered.

What would you do?
Have him neutered and let him go, or end his life?
Would you worry about the cats you have at home, since he was with them a lot?

And just how is FIP spread?

Katherine was a vet tech 10 years ago but FIP wasn't as recognized then so she's not any more knowledgeable than I am.

moosmom
01-19-2006, 03:23 PM
PLEASE!!! Do NOT end his life. FIP is not a death sentence. His testing positive simply means that he was exposed to it. It doesn't mean he has it.

My cat MooShoo tested positive for FIP when he was 10 weeks old. He's now a fat, healthy 6 year old Sphynx. I also have 3 other cats that live, eat, sleep and play with MooShoo. They're all healthy.

The best thing you can do for him is have him neutered and let him back out with his pals.

jenluckenbach
01-19-2006, 03:49 PM
Ditto what moosmom said.

Barbara
01-19-2006, 03:53 PM
Look in Cat Health for Miley's thread. She was tested positive last week :( Looks as if the tests only can tell whether a cat was exposed to a certain corona virus and nobody can predict whether that virus will change to be maligne. And it looks as if 80% of cats tested positive never develop FIP.

Of course -if they develop the symptoms then there is no other solution than to put them to sleep.

So we hope that this feral boy will live a long and happy and neutered ;) life.

lv4dogs
01-19-2006, 03:56 PM
If he is released can he spread FIP?

How is it spread?

How do you test for it?

Mine have been tested for LEUK & FIV but I've never heard of FIP until I saw it on here about a month or so ago.

Craftlady
01-19-2006, 05:16 PM
If he is released can he spread FIP?

How is it spread?

How do you test for it?

Mine have been tested for LEUK & FIV but I've never heard of FIP until I saw it on here about a month or so ago.

Heres a site that explains it in pretty simple english :)
http://www.furr-angels.com/fip.htm

catmandu
01-19-2006, 05:24 PM
Thats a tough one,but I have to go with the have him neutered and release him,where you can take him some food every once in a while.

momcat
01-19-2006, 06:36 PM
Do you know how old this cat is? When Groucho was about 5 months old and about to be neutered our vet ran some pre surgery tests. He tested positive for FIP. Our vet said that since he was under 6 months old, he may have tested positive for his mother's antibodies so she tested him again 6-8 weeks later. Those results were better but not quite what she wanted so he was tested again 6-8 weeks later. That time everything came out fine. Groucho had his surgery and all went well. He'll be 5 years old in March and is now in excellent health. You may want to talk to your vet to see if this is possible. I hope this kitty will be okay.....

mruffruff
01-20-2006, 09:59 AM
Thank you all for the education and especially for the link.

Unfortunately, this was not my decision to make. Katherine decided to send him to the Bridge.

There are three or four cats that live in the fields behind our warehouse. Between us, we have spayed or neutered them, and got them their first shots. We feed them every night but rarely even see them. Katherine was afraid that he would die in severe pain and we wouldn't be able to help him. She is going to see her vet today and discuss FIP with him in more detail so she will better understand.

Now that I know more, I would be inclined to agree with everyone here. I will definitely not end a life for only a positive FIP test.

I hope this thread will help anyone else who rescues a cat.

mruffruff
01-20-2006, 12:38 PM
Update:

The cat was FIV positive, not FIP. Katherine mis-heard the vet on the phone.

jenluckenbach
01-20-2006, 01:48 PM
I was wondering if she had heard wrong.

Now, as for FIV...... again, the test shows that an animal has been exposed. Some can live long lives. I doubt I would sentence a cat to death over FIV, but I can understand the reasoning of "not wanting the animal to die in pain".

Craftlady
01-20-2006, 01:58 PM
Those crys of pain are one emotional time for animal and owner.
Been there done that with RBButterscotch. I'm glad he went fast and only had pain for a few days. FIV is nasty disease when it shows itself full force.