PDA

View Full Version : At what age do they......

Laura's Babies
01-19-2006, 02:56 PM
At what age does a cat stop growing? I noticed and mentioned to the girl at the vets office yesterday that it looked to me like Amy has gotten longer.. She nixed that idea and said she probably has just lost weight so she looks longer. Last night, looking at her face, I noticed that even her face looks different, more "mature, softer, prettier"... Today Rie was here and made a remark about how much her face has changed to her!

I couldn't help but notice that someone here is eating a whole lot more, their bowls are emptier a lot earlier now and some days, I am filling them up 3 times instead of just twice.

If Amy has taken a sudden and unexpected growth spurt, that could help explaine her sudden decline in her ability to get around.. Her birthday is August 2nd and she was 3 her last birthday so could she STILL be growing?

I don't know if you can tell the differance in her face in these pictures but I can.. What do you think, can you see that her face is different?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/Grammy707/HPIM1848.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/Grammy707/HPIM1847.jpg

moosmom
01-19-2006, 03:06 PM
Age 3 is what I've been told.

catlover4ever
01-19-2006, 03:14 PM
To me the difference is her face is in her shading. It looks like her younger photo her markings seem to me to be darker and her older photo her markings seem to have lightened at bit.....call me crazy.

With mine I still notice changes in their looks. Abner is 4 years old and he has changed from last year....it's almost like his fur length and overall size is getting larger. Mystic is 5 and has gotten a little longer....and of course a little rounder as well ;) ;)

I personally think all cats are different and the vets can only give us an average of what they have seen, studies, or read.

Felix
01-19-2006, 03:30 PM
Good thread I was wodering the same thing.

catfamily
01-19-2006, 04:00 PM
As they get older I notice many face changes.Width mostly.I believe they keep growing a tiny bit for a few years :)
And I notice the difference in her pictures.

lv4dogs
01-19-2006, 04:01 PM
I have heard that it varies by breed, some grow slower than others. But in general I have heard 2-3 years of age.

Tiki is about 10 months or so & still growing.

RedHedd
01-19-2006, 04:09 PM
I have heard that it varies by breed, some grow slower than others. But in general I have heard 2-3 years of age. That's what I've heard, with Maine Coons taking the longest to reach their full growth. I swear, Mishi has grown since I adopted him; now he finally seems to have reached his full physical size; as for his mental maturity :rolleyes: :D :p I love my giant kitten! :D

Laura's Babies
01-19-2006, 04:09 PM
PHEW! I am feeling better all the time! Wished I'd realized this before I went to the vets yesterday, acting like a crying, babbleing idiot! I thought her looking longer was just my eyes but the differance in her face even Rie noticed so two+two! I am slow to connect the dots.. I have not connected the sudden empty bowls to the way Amy looked. To me she was always a "compact" kitty, short bodied and rock soild, now she looks more like Giz, long and sleek.

This could absolutely explaine her noticable difficulty in getting around, bigger body, more weight on weak legs...... (am I grasping at straws that are not there?) soooooo.... next question.. Should I give her the Prednisone or not? 1 daily for 5 days, then 1 every other day until gone (5 more pills)...

kimlovescats
01-19-2006, 05:39 PM
I suppose I would do whatever your vet suggests with the Pred, it IS known to increase the appetite too. It is so hard knowing what is best for our babies, if only they could have a little input themselves!

HUGS!
Kim

catmandu
01-19-2006, 05:43 PM
I think that they get thier lenght,by the time that they are 2 Years old,and like we,thier Guardians,they start to fill out after that.