PDA

View Full Version : Luna: the story continues... :(

Kirsten
01-19-2006, 02:31 PM
First of all, let me apologize for posting about Luna all the time, and not being much talkative apart from that. :( But the story with Luna goes on and on and there doesn't seem to be a solution!

Yesterday I posted here (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=97233) about her blood test results, and I tried to calm down after that. But when I came home from work today, I saw that her litter box was full of lots of tiny little pee biscuits, so her bladder problems are back - even though she's still on antibiotics!

So poor Luna had to go back to the vet! :(

We agreed to try a buscopan injection, which we hoped would help to get rid of the spasm in her bladder. Also, she got another injection against the inflammation, but no antibiotic shot this time (she's still taking them in pill form). Since there were no bacteria found in her recent urinalysis, I was hoping that the spasm has "only" been caused by an irritated bladder tissue.

Well, it seems it did not work. Since we're back from the vet, which is more than three hours ago now, she has peed three times, but only a few drops each time. Well, maybe it takes some time...

But apart from that, the buscopan injection seems to have kicked in more than expected: Soon after we came home from the vet, Luna started drooling. I wasn't too worried at that point as I remember that she once had the same reaction to an injection (buut I don't remember which one it was).

But as time goes by tonight, she seemed to get more and more relaxed - until she was almost lethargic. She refused to use her hind legs, and when you sat her down on the floor, she kept sitting right there, and didn't take one step. Also, her eye lids look heavy. She's really giving the impression of a very drugged (or drunken) kitty.

Anyway, as much as I felt sorry for it, I called my vet at home (it was almost 9pm) and described how Luna was acting, because I was REALLY worried at that point. It was almost eerie being around her! :(

But my vet - who was very undestanding - told me that it sounds to her very much like a strong reaction to the buscopan shot, also the drooling earlier tonight would fit into that picture. She explained that obviously Luna's muscles relaxed a lot from the buscopan, and she's probably also feeling dazed and dizzy.

I felt a bit better after that call, and meanwhile - half an hour later - Luna is becoming more active again. Right now, she's sitting in front of me on the computer desk and is bathing herself.

Okay, I guess once the buscopan is out of her system, she will be back to normal, but still - there are her ongoing bladder problems. One option that's still left is the e.coli immunization, something my vet still wants to try (even though no increased e.coli level has been found recently. But according to my vet, the e.coli level goes up and down, so maybe it's just been a bad timing when I took the urine sample. I think the immunization is worth a try, especially as I was told that it won't any harm.

What else can I do except trying and trying until we find something that helps Luna to feel better? :(

Kirsten

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
01-19-2006, 02:41 PM
Kirsten, I'm so sorry these problems just keep going on and on. I sure hope you find some sort of solution soon so poor Luna (and poor you!) have some relief.

The only thing I can think of is to have an ultrasound of the bladder. My only experience with any of this is with Peanut still having blood in her urine a a few days after the start of antibiotics. The vet did an ultrasound and discovered a tumor in her bladder. He operated to removed the tumor - ended up removing 1/2 her bladder, but got the tumor and all surrounding nasty tissue. As you may or may not remember, during her follow-up appt. the vet said there are still abnormal cells in her urine indicating "a malignancy somewhere" but he said there was nothing more he could do and we just have to keep an eye on her to see if/when the "malignancy" gets worse.

But my point is, he did the ultrasound and that showed what the problem was right away, so maybe this would help with Luna?

Kirsten
01-19-2006, 02:52 PM
Yes, ultrasound would be another option, I guess, even though my vet thinks that an x-ray shot with a "dyed" bladder would be more conclusive. But actually we do not want to put Luna through another anaestesia too soon, as she was suffering so badly after the last one.

But I'm really beginning to worry that it's a tumor. :( I was told they are rare in cats, but as you see in Peanut, it DOES happen. :(

I'm sorry to hear that there are still abnormal cells in her urine. How does she live with only half a bladder? Does she have any problems resulting from that?

Best wishes to her!

Kirsten

Corinna
01-19-2006, 02:57 PM
While I have no advice I can offer prayers and hugs from here in Montana for you and Luna .

catlover4ever
01-19-2006, 03:18 PM
Kirsten, I too have no advice for you but I hope some cyber (((HUGS))) will comfort you. (((HUGS))) --- Meg

Laura's Babies
01-19-2006, 04:59 PM
I will leave the advice for all the ones that know far more than I do, just know I am pulling for you and Luna.. ((((HUGS))))) for both of you, a full and speedy recover for her and calm nerves for you!

kimlovescats
01-19-2006, 05:32 PM
Oh Kirsten, I am so sorry! I am kind of thinking like Debbie on this. Maybe it is time to work from the X-ray / dye stand point and work backwards now?

(((hugs)))
Kim

catmandu
01-19-2006, 05:36 PM
We are sorry to hear that Dear Luna still has those Helth Issues,and we are praying even harder that she will soon be well again.

momcat
01-19-2006, 06:19 PM
Oh Kirsten, I feel so bad about poor Luna and just don't know what to say that would make both of you feel better. Prayers continue to be prayed for both of you.....

krazyaboutkatz
01-19-2006, 11:41 PM
Kirsten, I'm so sorry to hear that Luna is still having problems. :( I agree that either an ultrasound or an x-ray shot with a dyed bladder should probably be performed next. I know that you don't want to put her through any more stress but hopefully one of these tests will help diagnose her problem. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent her way. Please take care.(((HUGS)))

kb2yjx
01-20-2006, 07:33 AM
Yes, Kirsten, maybe it is time for the other tests to be done. None of us want to put our cats through all that, but sometimes it is necessary to get ot the bottem of the problem. BIG prayers for Luna and you!!!

TopCat3
01-20-2006, 07:38 AM
Dont'have any experience of this type of issue. Just sending hugs and very best wishes from us here in Australia
The TopCats

Kirsten
01-20-2006, 07:51 AM
Thank you all for your moral support.

I think I will ask my vet for an ultrasound (would have to make that in another vet clinic). Right now, I'm totally freaking out about the possibility of a tumor. :(

Since last night, Luna isn't peeing much. She peed only a couple of times, and only a tiny amount. She's licking herself a lot between her legs. And she still seems to be a bit lethargic; still a side effect from the buscopan, I guess.

I feel terrible. This morning when I drove to work, I just burst out in tears. All this is such a horror, and I'm beginning to fear I might be losing my baby girl. She's only 5 years old! Why does she have to suffer so much? :(

It may sound stupid, but Luna really means the world to me, and I love her more than anything else!

And even Lily seems to be confused lately. She's usually totally focussed on Luna and used to her "motherly" care. But these days, Luna doesn't care for Lily at all, and I think the little girl is feeling a bit lost... :(

Kirsten

smokey the elder
01-20-2006, 08:02 AM
Poor Luna. I hope they can find out what's wrong with the poor kitty.

Randi
01-20-2006, 08:59 AM
Kirsten, I'm so sorry to hear Luna still has problems. :( I think the advice to have an ultrasound or x-ray is a good idea. Then, you'll hopefully find out once and for all what causes this.

Lots of hugs and kisses to you, Luna and Lily.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
01-20-2006, 09:43 AM
It may sound stupid, but Luna really means the world to me, and I love her more than anything else!

It may sound stupid to other people, Kirsten, but we know exactly what you're going through and we don't think it's stupid at all. {{{hugs}}}

I don't know about the x-ray with dye, but I do know that Peanut was not "put under" for the ultra-sound, so maybe that would be an option that would be less traumatic for Luna? I think either one would give a good idea if there is a tumor or anything else that needs attention.

As for how Peanut lives with half a bladder - no problem! The only way I can tell she had surgery is because she pees more often - smaller amounts but more often. I also had to bring a litter box upstairs (all the others are in the basement) in case she couldn't hold it long enough to get all the way downstairs. Since the surgery she has never gone anywhere but in the litterbox. She does use the one upstairs almost exclusively for her pee pees, and I don't know why but CJ doesn't really use it. It's like she has claimed it as her own and he's fine with that. ;)

The vet was concerned at first, because he had to take so much of the bladder and he had to go so close to....something...that he thought she might end up incontinent, but he evidently knows what he's doing because it's not an issue at all. And even though she's 17 years old, he thought it was worth it to do the surgery because she is healthy otherwise. So if Luna does have some sort of tumor, hopefully things will go as well with her because she is basically healthy except for this too, and she's way younger than Peanut so she should heal quickly and fully - if it comes to that.

Peanut's surgery was around $1,000.00. I don't know how vet costs compare in Germany, but I would think you could count on about the same amount, plus the cost of the ultrasound. My vet did the followup visit and removal of stiches for free.

I know this is one of those things that you would never wish on your worst enemy, but if she does have a tumor, at least you'll know what you're dealing with instead of wondering and trying a million different things that don't work. I would suggest either the ultrasound or xray with dye thing ASAP. It will help calm your nerves, and also if there is a tumor, it's best to get it out ASAP to increase Luna's chance of a full recovery.

{{{hugs}}}

TopCat3
01-21-2006, 07:45 AM
Kirsten, you must know we don't think you sound stupid. After all, you sound just like the rest of us when one of our beloved kitties is in strife ;) Tubby and Peanut's Mum is exactly right, it's everyone else (non-cat folk) who sound stupid :p

My girls mean the world to me, too, and I think I understand how you are feeling because I get in the same sort of state about my Cleo, 17, the one with CRF, HBP and hyperthyroidism. I get all teary at the vets, even if the consult is going well and results are encouraging!!! :rolleyes: And in the car... and in the supermarket in the petfood aisle...

I agree with what the others say, just run whatever tests are needed till you find out what is wrong and then do whatever it takes to fix it so long as Luna does not suffer unnecessarily. A little bit of discomfort/fear might be necessary in which case the end justifies the means. Just as long as it's in her best interest and makes her feel well in the long run.

Good luck, try to stay positive, and keep us posted. Crying it out is better than holding it in. It makes us stronger.

Hugs to all of you and a special one for confused little Lily. :) :) :)

Kirsten
01-21-2006, 08:24 AM
Thank you! I really wouldn't know what to do without this forum! :) (((HUGS))) to you and your kitties!

TopCat3, best wishes for your beloved Cleo, I'm sorry that she has to deal will all these problems. How is she doing at the moment?

Debbie, thanks for telling me about the details of Peanut's surgery, that sounds encouraging. Good to read that she has no problems and seems to feel fine!

I've spoken to my vet yesterday about Luna. She also thinks that ultrasound would be the next step at this point. She cannot do it herself, I either have to go to the other vet in my hometown, or to a vet clinic in Kassel or Göttingen. She's trying to make an appointment for me there as soon as possible.

Also, she said she's not comfortable anymore to give Luna any more meds at this point, as her reaction to them has been so weird this week. When it turns out there is no tumor, we will try the e.coli immunization, but first, we need to rule out the tumor-option. I'm really scared when I think about that! :( Luna is way too young for such a thing!

BTW, Luna seems to feel much better today. She has peed a larger amount this morning, and she has eaten with a good appetite. She had also a lot of fun with her kitty light this morning. Yestersay, she did literally nothing: no eating, no drinking, no peeing, no pooping. It was as if all her body functions had stopped, it's been totally scary. I guess this was because she was still drugged from the buscopan. Now she's doing much better.

Kirsten

kb2yjx
01-21-2006, 09:27 AM
Kirsten!!! WE are all here to give you all the support that we can possibly give you!!! We also share your feeling and fears, because at one time or another, we have been in the same position with our beloved cat/cats!! When these special creatures come into our lives, we take a silent oath to love and care for them no matter what. And they know this and they trust us to love and care for them. They may not always understand the what and why, but the fact that we are there and with them, means the world to them. It is so frustrating not to know what the problem is, but that is how things happen sometimes. Then there are other times, what is wrong is known right away. Rest assured that you and Luna are in our thoughts and prayers. You may be a continent away, but all the prayers, thoughts, and loving support is like you lived right next door to each one of us. We are here to share BOTH the joyous and the sad times. Keep the faith....and hug Luna for me!! Sandra

Kirsten
01-22-2006, 05:10 AM
Thank you very much for your kind words, Sandra!

It's so very true what you said about that "silent oath", and you found beautiful words to describe that...

(((THANKS)))
Kirsten