PDA

View Full Version : New Feral Barn kitten - I need advice.

boscibo
01-18-2006, 07:46 PM
I am getting a new kitten- she is what I would consider feral. I hope some of you experts can help. I haven't caught her yet, but the barn owner is going to help me this weekend. I will bring her to my vet ASAP (I'll probably call them tomorrow to set up the appt. for Monday), but what shoud I do once I get her home?

Hanna was my last kitten and she was mostly tame and knew how to use a litterbox. This new girl is about 7 weeks or so (The barn owner wasn't sure when or where they were born - the mother brought them into the barn at the start of winter) so I'm guessing born end of Nov.

I have a room where I can isolate her from the rest, but I was thinking of setting her up in a large dog kennel (plastic, not metal wire) with food water and litterbox so she can get used to the idea of using a litterbox. Is this a good idea, or should I let her have run of the room? I worry because she is skittish and feral.

Is she young enough to come around and be a housekitty? I was feeding her treats today, but she wouldn't let me touch her.

Is clumping litter a no-no for little kittens?

I am so excited, she is a doll! I took one look at her and fell in love.

barncat
01-18-2006, 08:05 PM
First...thanks for giving the kitten a home!

Although not everyone will agree, most ferals can be come great catfriends given time and love. Kittens are MUCH easier to tame though you may find she/he remains more easily startled and wary than a kitten that has been handraised.

The large dog kennel in a secluded room as a start is a good idea. (Clumping litter is not for babies.) The concern there is that her food may be too close to her litter... but that depends on the size of the kennel. Sit near her in the kennel and talk gently to her. Let her out some but be careful she can't escape and become traumatized by being chased.

Slow and easy does it. Some of my best friends have begun as ferals....

I look forward to hearing about her progress....

boscibo
01-18-2006, 08:18 PM
Thanks! The dog kennel is fairly large. I am assuming she is a girl at this point since she is a tortie - a long haired tortie!

I am just a little afraid as I have never had a kitten that was feral before. I'm going to talk to the barn owner about maybe trapping the mother cat too - but I can't really take her too - it was one thing to convince my SO to let me take in one kitten (I live with him - he loves cats, but we will have four + two dogs + the horse who stays in this barn the kitten was found in). The mother is very feral. She ate treats from me too, but is very hissy and growly when I try and reach her baby. I'll attach a picture - the kitten is the fluffball on the left:

http://67.15.70.205/talk/attachment.php?attachmentid=26001&stc=1
(Sorry, camera phone in a dark area)

catnapper
01-18-2006, 08:31 PM
How exciting! At 7 or 8 weeks old, she definately has a chance of being completely tamed. Only a few have been taught to completely fear humans forever, and even those guys come around aftrer a while.

I wold stay away from clumping litter for a few weeks. They get it all stuck to their fur and then it creates problems for them. You should be amazed at how quickly those little oens take to litterboxes. :)

Good luck catching her!

Laura's Babies
01-18-2006, 08:40 PM
Ooooo! Grab tha little beauty asap! She is LOVELY!!!.....and we will definately want to see more of her!

Yes, sit in the room and talk gently to her for awhile, then as QSL instructed me, contact is ALL important...reach in with a stick, a handle on something...anything that will reach her and touch her to get her use to it. it may take a few times of reaching in with it without contact, possiably even leaving it in there where she can see and get use to it. Taming a feral is a slow process so take your time and don"t rush...

After leaving the two I had in another room, I knew they had to be "exposed" to more activity so that when I simply walked in the room, they wouldn't freak and THAT worked wonders.. At first I opened the door for awhile... then I moved the cage closer to the door and worked gradually on it until I had them in the living room. Seeing me interact with my own kitties helped them a lot. PLAY is important so find ways to get them to play with something YOU have.. a stick.... a fuzzy on wand a ball you throw in at her. You have to work at it off and on all day.

To get her use to being handled, when it gets to the point you can reach in the cage with her and her not freak out.. Slip her in a pillow case to handle her. Just sit her in your lap in the pillow case and pet and talk to her. When she seem comfortable with that, start reaching under her like you are going to pick her up... do that until she is use to your hand being under her.... THEN pick her up under the tummy for a instant and put her back down.. (All this done IN the sack)... You get the picture? Slow and easy, don't rush it but she is a whole lot younger than the ones I had and should tame sooner and this may go a lot faster for you.

I am sure there are better experts out there than me but this will get you started. If You need any help just post and someone will answer. BUT>>>GRAB that little beautiful ball of fluff!! She is BEAUTIFUL!

Catty1
01-18-2006, 09:31 PM
My baby Oscar (now 4) was wild for at LEAST 2 1/2 years. My employer at the kennel where I work tamed him from spring til October, feeding him and letting him gauge his own comfort zone.

Oscar (so called because he was "wild") was taken to the vet, and my bosses paid about $200 for all the shots, neutering, etc - and they GAVE him to me for Christmas!

He turned out beautifully...he was in a kennel room for several days, purred and drooled, purred even LOUDER when brushed - and is now a totally talkative sucky boy! He's been with me just over a year, and recently accepted a second cat. They groom each other, fight, play, everything!

With TLC and patience, that little one will be fine. And if the mom is eating treats, there is hope for her too!

hugs
Catty1
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c11/Candace_1956/P1060022.jpghttp://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c11/Candace_1956/PC310001.jpghttp://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c11/Candace_1956/P1010014.jpg

Catty1
01-18-2006, 09:43 PM
Sorry for the huge pics! My editing kind of slipped....I tried!

Barbara
01-19-2006, 03:22 AM
My first cat Grisette was feral born and came in the house at about 13 weeks. She spent the first 3 weeks under the kitchen cupboard- and I must admit it was 30 years ago, so I didn't think too much about the problems that could arise.

She was absolutely tame and when she had kittens (At that time I thought she should have kittens one time :o ) she had them in the living room in a quiet corner and I could be with her :) I am so glad I had this experience.

I think everything will go fine with a little time and a slow introduction. All the best for your cute new addition.

jenluckenbach
01-19-2006, 05:16 AM
How wonderful that you are giving a feral kitten a chance at a real indoor home. The great part s that most ferals already know how to live with other cats. They actually usually prefer the other cats to the humans. So kitty introductions should be easier.

You will most definitely want to start her in the dog kennel. If she has run of an entire room, she will hide and you will have no opportunity to handle her. And you MUST handle her.

She will no doubt spit and hiss at you. Try not to let that stop you. Use a towel to wrap her in if you need to and then hold her.

Don't leave too much food with her, make sure she knows that the food comes from YOU. Food is a great helping hand in taming ferals. If she always has a full bowl then she won't need you to give her more (get it?)

Have fun with your new baby!

mruffruff
01-19-2006, 09:58 AM
All of the advice given is right on! I have several ex-ferals, some still are.

Oscar is a twin to my Shai. She's been with me for 3 years and is finally jumping on my bed, letting me pet her and has learned to ignore the dogs. I got her when she was about 9 months old and I did it all wrong. If I had followed the advice given, she would be much tamer. On the other hand, she's so fiesty, it might not have mattered.

That kitty is adorable. Can't wait to see more pics.

boscibo
01-19-2006, 05:04 PM
My kitty is home with me now! I'll write more later (hopefully w/pix) but just wanted to update. I can pet her, but get a little hiss at first. She's in the litterbox in the rear of the dog crate I set up for her, I'm letting her calm down a bit after the car ride. We see the vet tomorrow at 11 AM.

catmandu
01-19-2006, 05:31 PM
I remember when we adopted Barn Kitties and they not only turned out to be Great Companions but Great Mousers as well.
And 7 weeks is by no means too old to get used to an indoor life.
Thats Great News,and we hope that he comes around soon.

heidiv
01-19-2006, 06:06 PM
She is adorable how could you say no?? She is going to be a gorgeous adult. Good Luck :D

barncat
01-19-2006, 06:57 PM
congrats (or is that con-cats?)

Sounds as if things are going well. I advise touching her as she will tolerate with your hand. My guys over the years have been shy of gloves or being confined in cloth.... so if you don't mind risking a scratch, I think actual contact will be easier to tolerate.

I wish I was in a position to take in the mom...Her face looks like my cat from childhood named Sooty. As you are in WI it is possible she is remote kitty-kin f my old girl.....

But ten cats, two dogs, a bunny, a cockatoo, and two 'keets are all I can afford. (Actually more than I can afford!)

Enjoy that darling baby.

Ginger aka barncat

boscibo
01-19-2006, 08:16 PM
Picture! This is where she is camped out. I have been able to hold her for short periods and she isn't struggling, and she was purring when I was petting her in the litterbox. She still gives me some good hisses too.

I noticed that when I let Hanna and Abby a brief peek she meowed at them (that was also the first time I heard her purr). I feel so bad because I bet she is really missing her mom and the other barn cats.

http://home.comcast.net/~ladidah1/kitty1.jpg

Sorry about the flash eye glare. All the photos I have of her right now are basically this lovely litterbox pose.

The barn owner thinks she may have been born around Halloween and is just a very small cat. She is small - that isn't a full sized litterbox, just a little pan.

catnapper
01-19-2006, 08:28 PM
Aw, poor baby looks so scared. I know with tie and patience she'll be looking happy and loving the indoor life.

She is absolutely pretty!

krazyaboutkatz
01-19-2006, 11:52 PM
Congrats on your new addition. She's adorable.:D Since she's so young, I'm sure that she'll become tamer and friendlier in time. I bet she'll also love your other cats. :)

jenluckenbach
01-20-2006, 05:29 AM
That little baby will be eating out of your hand in no time. :)

Did you name her? (did I miss it?)

boscibo
01-20-2006, 07:38 AM
No name yet - I am thinking about Claire, Chloe, or Emma, but Jeff doesn't think Claire suits her. It always takes me some time to name cats.

She ate some canned food and the Whiskas Temptations this AM. She hasn't used the litterbox yet, except to hide in. I am hoping to get a fecal sample to take in to the vet's - I am almost certain she has worms, judging by the round belly.

barncat
01-21-2006, 03:19 PM
sounds like things are going well. when she has an ok from the vet, if your cats are welcoming (and they often are more tolerant of kittens) she might warm up faster with them as companions, seeing them with you and learning the rules of her new colony/family.

what a beauty!

orangemm
01-21-2006, 03:31 PM
Such a little beauty! Poor little girl, she is probably scared. She'll calm down eventually; a little patience and loving is all that's needed.

What a little darling!

Catty1
01-21-2006, 05:56 PM
Oh, how BEAUTIFUL she is! Her colours make me think of autumn in Eastern Canada/USA, with the maple trees.

Maybe that would be a name? Autumn? Maple? Sugar Maple(because she is sweet!)?

She will be great when she realizes she has a whole new family. Too bad you can't get the mom - but little one will be okay. She is letting you pet her already...that is awesome!

boscibo
01-21-2006, 07:05 PM
This kitten is a real SWEETHEART! I am very pleased with the progress she is making. She no longer hisses when I reach in to pet her, she loves to be petted, and her favorite thing is belly rubs!

We went to the vet and she is FLV/FIV negative, but is being treated for roundworms. The vet said she is 2-2.5 months old.

She wants to be with my cats - she meows every time she catches a glimpse of them (I have her crate in our main room right now). It is heartbreaking to hear her meow at them; the two older cats ignore her, and Hanna hisses at her.

But I go in and hold her when she meows and this calms her down. :) Here is another picture:
http://home.comcast.net/~ladidah1/kitty2.jpg

carole
01-21-2006, 07:34 PM
oh my gosh she is a stunner, most unusual facial markings which make her a real beauty, I am thrilled to read she is becoming tame, I was told by the cat shelter anything over five weeks, was not a good chance of becoming tame, however you have proved them wrong, good on you, obviously time and patience has paid off, what a darling, any names yet, I opt for Brandy, that was a temp name we had picked for a tortie girl we rescued who went to the cat shelter, keep us posted on her progress, she is so lovely, just want to reach out and cuddle her to bits. LOL :D

kimlovescats
01-22-2006, 11:38 AM
She is absolutely PRECIOUS!!! What a beauty and lookie at that black mark under her nose!!! TOO CUTE! :D

Congratulations on saving her, and already working wonders with her taming ... you really got her just in time! ;) I'm so relieved to hear that she also tested negative ... that is wonderful news! I can't wait to see many more pictures of this little beauty!

Kim :)

icedtea
02-09-2006, 02:57 AM
kansas was a tiny bit wild, her siblings and her lived out in the wild for a little bit after mommy cat died and until they found their way home they were out on their own... she is a smashing kitten, the only thing that makes you think is that she doesnt like being being held, she struggles, btu we're workign on her.

orangemm
02-09-2006, 04:07 AM
That face is just too precious! She is a beauty.

moosmom
02-09-2006, 11:24 AM
What an absolutely BEAUTIFUL girl she is!!! I'm glad she's progressing so well. Like Jen said, she'll be eating out of your hand in no time, if she hasn't already.

How about the name Zara???