PDA

View Full Version : Tiger is very sick today

wayne0214
04-10-2002, 07:14 PM
She was not too well this morning. But this evening she is barfing up nothing -similiar to the "dry heaves". Poor kitty, she is so weak from being sick that all she did today was sleep. If she is not better by morning, I'm taking her to the vets.

...............wayne

AmberLee
04-10-2002, 08:38 PM
{{{Tiger}}}

That's no fun. :( Hope you are feeling better real soon, sweet fur-girl...

Please keep us posted, Wayne. Prayers are going out for your little girl from us here.

AvaJoy
04-10-2002, 09:07 PM
Let us hope Tiger is just trying to dislodge a stubborn hairball . . . our thoughts are with you both . . . the vet should be able to discover the cause . . . poor Tiger. :( [/SIZE]

Logan
04-10-2002, 09:11 PM
I hope she will be ok, Wayne. Is she still eating and drinking? I think drinking is the most important! Update us tomorrow and let us know how she is.

Logan

Lachesis
04-10-2002, 09:31 PM
(((Tiger))))

LoudLou
04-10-2002, 09:33 PM
POOR TIGER! You get well soon, sweetie.

Gio
04-11-2002, 03:28 AM
I hope that there is nothing seriously wrong :( : Please keep us posted.

tatsxxx11
04-11-2002, 05:26 AM
Hope you are feeling better today dear Tiger!! Wayne, please let us know asap! Hugs to you Tiger! Love Sandra, Mr. B and Oliver

wayne0214
04-11-2002, 06:48 AM
I was up at 3 AM with her this morning as she was sleeping with me on the bed in the fold of the covers to keep warm. Last night I gave her a tummy rub, which she obviously enjoyed. It sounded as though her little systme is clogged up. this morning I tried to get her to take a few laps of chicken soup. She refused that. then I gave her a small can of her favorite fish dinner cat food, which she kept looking at and then managed to take a few laps of that. However, she continues to not eat anything and that the smell of food makes her nauseated. Finally, I got her to eat a few bits of hair-ball medicine, and then had to syringe feed her water, because she wouldn't drink. I hope this begins her healing as now she constantly has this "dry heaves" problem and apparently can't keep anything down.

Your concerns are certainly appreciated and I will keep everyone updated on her recovery. thanks all,

(For those unfamilair with my menagerie, Snow Tiger is my little lynx-point Siamese, that I got from some girls who were trying to get rid of a litter of kittens last Halloween week-end. She was the last one they had, or otherwise I would have taken the others like her also. She is a special kitty and has the unique ability to get along with all of my furkids without fussing.)

.........wayne

Randi
04-11-2002, 09:45 AM
Wayne! Sorry to hear Tiger is feeling so bad! I'm praying that she will get better very soon. You seem to be doing all the right things for her. Please keep us posted! :)

sasvermont
04-11-2002, 10:02 AM
Wayne, if I were you I would at least call the Vet. Did you check her mouth to see if she might have a sore in it or something caught? Cats can't go very long without drinking so I would start to worry - if she isn't eating or drinking. Keep us posted. Hope all turns out just fine.

SAS
P. S. I have discovered that it is sometime cheaper to figure out the problem early on, rather than let it get out of control, thus I recommend a visit to the Vet. But of course, it is your call.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-11-2002, 10:59 AM
Oh Wayne, so sorry to hear about poor little Tiger. Prayers and thoughts go out to her and please keep us updated.

:(

momoffuzzyfaces
04-11-2002, 04:41 PM
I hope Tiger is feeling better. Fingers and paws all crossed here for her too. Please keep us posted.:(

lynnestankard
04-11-2002, 05:19 PM
Oh poor Tiger - I do hope she's feeling much better by now. Her little tummy must feel so sore with all that heaving. Poor Baby.xxx

Good luck Wayne - let us know if a vets visit is needed.

[[[[[[[xxxxxxxTiger xxxx}}}}}}}

Lynne

wayne0214
04-11-2002, 07:29 PM
An update on Tiger.

I returned from the vets about noon today. He checked her all over, even for feline FIV and HIV. Both tests were negative. Next, he gently pushed on her tummy and neck. And then he said that she is having a bout with URI and it was affecting her bronchial areas. This accounts for the "dry heaves" because the problem is not in her stomach but in her throat, which he also said is probably irritated from all the hacking and barfing. He also checked for any foreign thing that she may have gotten lodged in her throat, and again, this turned up negative. She is slowly regaining strength and is beginning to eat more. He gave me some antibiotics to give her, which is proving more difficult than originally expected.

I must add that her eyes were telling me everything that she was experiencing. Her big blue eyes with her tabby markings on her forehead are the most revealing of emotion and feelings of any cat that I have had in the past. On the way to the vets, her look was one of stark fear as this was her second ride in a vehicle. Although, she didn't cry much on the way and conducted herself like a little lady in the vet's office, her eyes are most revealing. But it is amazing how she obeys, as I was telling her to "lay down" which she did while riding in her pet carrier. The look in her eyes was enough to make one want to cuddle her with reassurance. I will keep her on the vet'- recommended diet of watered-down canned cat food, and the antibiotics. Does any one have any ideas as to how I can get her to take the antibiotic meds without having to "fight" her?:)

......wayne

AmberLee
04-11-2002, 07:33 PM
Wayne,

Are they liquid antibiotics or pills or other?

wayne0214
04-11-2002, 07:43 PM
Amberlee, pardon me for forgetting that. The meds are a liquid which is given with an eye-dropper. The med's rather pleasant odor reminds me of mint. But she refuses to have anything to do with it. I placed some drops of the stuff in her food about a half-hour ago. She only lapped up part of it. But I suppose that part of it is better than none.:)

............wayne

AvaJoy
04-11-2002, 08:26 PM
Wayne, maybe you could ask the vet to dispense the antibiotic in pill form . . . if she is not a good pill taker here is my method:

Take 2 Whisker Lickins cat treats, sandwich the pill between them and gently press the pliable treats between both thumbs and forefingers so that the warmth of your fingertips allows you to press and mold the treats around the pill . . . then I just put the rounded treat (with pill hidden in the middle . . . :D ) down and my cats will eat it.

I'm glad the vet has her on medication which should relieve your mind, but getting cats to TAKE their meds is such a task! :( Hope this helps and that Tiger is feeling better soon.:)

tatsxxx11
04-11-2002, 08:26 PM
My Mr. B and Oliver have both just recovered from a bout with URI. One was given pills, the other liquid medic. Oliver absolutely refused the liquid via dropper. Mr. B is very good with "pilling." For Oliver, I warmed a small bit of human tuna in the microwave, and added the liquid medic. to the tuna. The strong smell of the tuna masked the medic. and he took it fine. But if Tiger is not eating well, this may still pose a problem. Still, it is worth a try. Have you ever pilled her before? If she totally refuses the liquid in any form, ask the vet to give you pills. I have found that it actually is easier to pill them then coax them to take liquid medic. It is a bit tricky at first, but one gulp and it's down. Try the liquid first; the tuna just might work. There are available "pill poppers" for kitties available at pet centers. Let us know Wayne. What a good patient sweet Tiger is!! Please give her hugs from me and snuggles from Mr. B and Oliver. They know how she feels!:( Sandra

tatsxxx11
04-11-2002, 08:27 PM
AvaJoy...Have used that method myself with the pills, that is! Good thinking!

AvaJoy
04-11-2002, 09:01 PM
I have an aversion to liquid antibiotics, because years ago Lily was given a pink (Flagil??) med that made her very sick to her stomach. The vet I was using at the time said she had an allergic reaction and to discontinue treatment . . . he substituted a pill form instead.

Sandra, I have a pill popper that the vet gave me, but never tried using it . . . you will have to give us pointers . . . it seemed so awkward and I thought it would only create additional stress especially if the cat is not accustomed to being pilled; I figured if I could devise a way to coax the patient to take the pill on their own accord, that would be preferable. I've also tried just crouching on the floor, cat backed between my knees, opening the mouth and shoving the pill down, but that method is also forcing the issue and a high strung cat will put up a valiant fight, despite feeling poorly . . . I've had the best results with concealing the pill in a treat, but maybe my furkids are just easily fooled! :)

Sara luvs her Tinky
04-12-2002, 12:17 AM
LIQUID MEDICINE ADVICE...........
When Tinky was taking medicine for her worms (it was a liquid) the vet just told me to take a small handfull of the scruff of her neck (like the momma cat does to carry her kittens) and that automatically open their mouths a little,,,, and stick the dropper im the crack of the mouth and squirt. Let go of the scruff after you squeeze the medicine in so it can swallow.
I never had a problem givin Tinky her medicine that way! and I always gave her a treat or two afterward. I had to give her, her medecine on a schedule and I would always give it to her on the couch and whenever I would pull out her medicine bottle and her treats she would get on the couch voluntarily and take her medicine like such a good little girl
I LOOOVE HER SOOO MUCH!!!!!!!!

Good luck!!:)

krazyaboutkatz
04-12-2002, 12:38 AM
I'm sorry to hear about Tiger.:( I hope she continues to get better soon.:) Fingers and paws are crossed here.

lynnestankard
04-12-2002, 04:48 AM
Wayne so pleased you know what the problem is. When we've had to give liquid meds., I've actually found it easier than tablets - all three of mine were the roll models for the dissertation on 'How to administer Pills to Cats' (sorry can't remember who posted that - so funny LOL!!)
I've found that a towel draped over the cat and a quick cuddle has them completley enveloped apart from their little face so the dropper can be gently insinuated into the side of their mouth and one squeeze and - Jobs Done!!
I think the kitties could be in shock and just swallow as a reflex!! LOL
Give Tiger nose kisses please {{{tiger}}} and a cuddle.

Lynne

sasvermont
04-12-2002, 05:26 AM
Wayne, I am so happy that you took the kitty to the Vet. I am glad the results were not bad and that the kitty is on the road to recovery.

Wayne, this method worked for me: Get a heavy weight sweatshirt or shirt and cut off the sleeve at the sholder.

Take the kitty and stuff it in the sleeve (wide end) and shove its head through to the other end (narrow end) ... Now you have its legs encased and its head exposed, yes? Then you tighten your grip on the small end (the cuff), holding the head still....

They can flail all they want with their legs, cause the long sleeve is encasing them.... You should have one hand free at this point....

What I do, is put the cat on the counter, hold it down with my arm and body and then use both hands to work on the head. Then pry open the mouth..... and drop in the medication. You can hold on to the kitty until it swallows the meds.

I used a soft/heavy sweatshirt from those college days.....

My cats caught on eventually, but I could put the sleeve on them in any room, then carry them to the counter area. I actually cut off both sleeves and kept one washed and clean for the next day....

Good luck. And again, I am happy to hear that your kitty is recovering!!!! :cool:

wayne0214
04-12-2002, 08:53 AM
Lynne and sas vt., thanks for the uniqe ideas. Last night Tiger woke me up as she changed positions next to me on the bed. I felt her and she was "cold". Fearing for her safety, I got up at 1:30 am. and had her eat some more of the canned cat food. She also started to drink water again. Then I literally fought her to take one full dose of the prescribed meds. Afterwards, she began to eat more of the canned food, and returned to bed with me. When I got up for the morning she jumped up, started running around and is playing outside now while I'm writing this. The meds are doing their job but the problem is getting her to take them twice a day. However it is a relief for me to know that she is feeling better and is eating more normally now without the hacking and barfing.

Thanks all, for your sincere concern for my furkids. Everytime I post something like this on the Pet Talk site, I can expect, as in the past, to receive a sincere wish for their health and well being and with help to show me how to take better care of my furkids. Thanks again to and for all of you

...........wayne.:)

lynnestankard
04-12-2002, 09:49 AM
Wow S'mont what a really good idea - guess who's going searching hubbies wardrobe for old sweatshirts?!! :D

Lynne

Gio
04-12-2002, 10:08 AM
What an original idea. I'll have to try it next time! :D

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-12-2002, 01:06 PM
Wayne, I'm so glad to hear little Tiger is doing so much better. I have advice on pilling, but have never dealt with liquids, but it sounds like everyone has some great ideas here.

Here's hoping she continues her progress and everything and everyone is well again. :)

yorkster
04-12-2002, 06:00 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by AvaJoy

Take 2 Whisker Lickins cat treats, sandwich the pill between them and gently press the pliable treats between both thumbs and forefingers so that the warmth of your fingertips allows you to press and mold the treats around the pill . . . then I just put the rounded treat (with pill hidden in the middle . . . :D ) down and my cats will eat it.

Avajoy..........that's what I have found works on one of my kitties too. the Whisker licken treats that I have found that work the best are the salmon flavor "fishys" they call them--they seem to be softer and squishier. It helps that my kitty is a bit of a piggy, so he does not even know he is geeting a pill. my other cat is a very picky eater, and it does not work so well.

Wayne- sorry to hear about Tiger being sick. Hope that it all turns out well- we will be sending good thoughts to you and Tiger. Keep us posted on what goes on. Take care.

krazyaboutkatz
04-12-2002, 11:23 PM
I'm so glad to here that Tiger is getting better.:D Please keep us posted on her progress.

Randi
04-13-2002, 10:18 AM
Wayne! I hope Tiger's recovery goes well! Giving cats medicine can be something of a trial. When we had to give Fister a pill, I crushed it, cut a few big shrimps open and stuffed it in there. But be careful if it's a smelly pill, don't put too much in each. Fister once got suspicious and wouldn't eat the third one - and after that, there's no way you can get him to take it! :rolleyes:

Logan
04-13-2002, 10:55 AM
I'm a little late, chiming in, but our vet suggested that we wrap Mimi in a towel so that she can't scratch or escape, and then give her the medication. It still isn't easy, and it does take two people to do it. Helen and I together, have never been very successful. Thank goodness, she has been pretty healthy! If Butter ever has to have medication, he gets a heavy duty shot of antibiotics and we hope for the best. I could never medicate him.....he would shred me. :eek:

Hope Tiger is better today. :D

gini
04-13-2002, 01:23 PM
I am so glad to hear Tiger is doing much better.

Every cat is so different - I always used a pill popper with my other cats - but Rascal will have none of it. But I discovered when he needed a liquid antibiotic that using the syringe was no problem.

But try and give him a pill and he suddenly has fourteen paws with very large claws extended!

The sweatshirt idea is so good.........thank you.

Keep us posted on Tiger's progress - when they are sick it upsets us so much!

wayne0214
04-13-2002, 04:35 PM
Tiger was still barfing this morning and eating very little, except she was obviously feeling better. However, about 9 AM she began to hack and cough again, that was when I noticed a green thing sticking out of her nose. Guess what!, there was a 3" blade of grass that she got lodged in her sinus. This is the reason why the vet said "if there is no improvement in her in about 5 days, let me know" ( He said this because the exact nature of her illness did not definitely show up during his analysis) Also, such a situation defied detection, as it was hidden between her nostrels and throat. Anyway, I pulled it out. She ate up nearly 1/2 (small) can of cat food, and the barfing and hacking has totally stopped. The blade of grass was irritating her nose passage and throat. The vet's analysis was correct but he suspected the wrong cause, which I do not fault him for. Frankly folks, I was getting worried about her because everything we all tried on her did not bring the desired results. Anyway, I'm certainly glad that she is back to normal now.

............wayne

momoffuzzyfaces
04-13-2002, 05:29 PM
Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought of grass being stuck in her nose like that. I am so glad she is doing well now. What a relief you must feel.:eek:

Logan
04-13-2002, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by wayne0214
Tiger was still barfing this morning and eating very little, except she was obviously feeling better. However, about 9 AM she began to hack and cough again, that was when I noticed a green thing sticking out of her nose. Guess what!, there was a 3" blade of grass that she got lodged in her sinus. This is the reason why the vet said "if there is no improvement in her in about 5 days, let me know" ( He said this because the exact nature of her illness did not definitely show up during his analysis) Also, such a situation defied detection, as it was hidden between her nostrels and throat. Anyway, I pulled it out. She ate up nearly 1/2 (small) can of cat food, and the barfing and hacking has totally stopped. The blade of grass was irritating her nose passage and throat. The vet's analysis was correct but he suspected the wrong cause, which I do not fault him for. Frankly folks, I was getting worried about her because everything we all tried on her did not bring the desired results. Anyway, I'm certainly glad that she is back to normal now.

............wayne

OMG!!!! Do you know that the exact same thing has happened to Mimi on three occasions?? But the first time was the most frightening. Coughing, sneezing constantly and the worst odor :o . The vet had to put her under to try and find the problem. My imagination ran wild, Wayne. :( And there it was! He kept her on the antibiotic, just in case she had irritated her throat and sinuses. Grass blades have sharp edges.

We saw it the second time, and she got it out on her own. And just this week, it happened again! At least these last two times, we saw it before we realized there was a problem.

I know you are relieved! Why must our pets graze??? :rolleyes:

wayne0214
04-13-2002, 07:29 PM
m.o. f.f. Relief is not the proper word for it! I was worrying about her future welfare. I would hate to loose her , as she is a special feline friend to me. If anything, this episode has helped bond a closer relationship between me and her, in that also, now she answers to her name "Tiger" , and she is more tolerant of my cuddling her, of which she was not too close before. All I have to say to her now is, "do you want to eat?". She immediately resoponds. Also, when she is hungry, she will sit near as though to say to me, "Daddy, I'm hungry". This gets my immediate attention. because she cannot eat dry food. She is such a special kitty. I wish I had a camera to show her eye expressions, they are so human-like. :)

...............wayne

krazyaboutkatz
04-13-2002, 07:35 PM
:D :D It's great news to hear that Tiger is going to be okay.:D :D I had heard of this happening to cats before. It hasn't happened to mine yet. My cats are indoors all the time but I will buy them pet grass sometimes. Maybe I shouldn't.:(

rg_girlca
04-13-2002, 10:10 PM
Wayne i am so so glad to hear your furbabie is doing well. May i add one more suggestion on giving your animal liquid med or a pill. This works very well for me and my animals. I kneel down on the floor and cross my ankles and put cat/dog between my legs and squeeze them a little so they can't go backwards or forwards.
Then i just open their mouth and administer the medication, then stroke their throat a little bit and then let them go. This has worked very well for me and hope if anyone uses this way that it works for you too. :D Again Wayne, great news.

rg_girlca
04-13-2002, 10:11 PM
Oh i forgot to mention that the animal is best in a sitting postion.

AmberLee
04-13-2002, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by wayne0214
...there was a 3" blade of grass that she got lodged in her sinus. ...

Wayne! The exact same thing happened to my Cassy once. I almost thought of suggesting it, but decided it was too wierd to happened to two cats!!! :eek: :o :rolleyes:

I still buy him cat grass; he adores it, but I carefully trim to no more than 1 1/2 inches before I give it to him ... not too practical a suggestion for you, sorry.

So glad to read that this situation has improved the bonding between you and Tiger: she does, indeed, sound like a very special animal.

So glad the situation's resolved. :D

4 feline house
04-14-2002, 12:21 AM
Wayne, who would have thought? Your description of her emotions showing through her eyes was so touching, and your love for her practically jumped out of you post.

I'm so glad she's better! And she knows you were helping her, that's why she loves you even more now.

wayne0214
04-14-2002, 05:35 AM
Tiger ate practically a whole can of cat food early this morning. Now she is chasing a flying bug in the house with the others - being her normal self. In California, the spring-time brings on tall grass, mostly "foxtails" , which is a form of "miniature wheat". When the weeds are still growing the blades appear to be regular lawn grass, until they "head off". Whenever my furkids are outside and want to "graze" they inevitably eat this foxtail weed. Since a cat's teeth are not designed for eating forage, it is little wonder that somethng can go amiss whenever they attempt to fill their system with grass. What I have difficulty understanding is how she got the blade in her nose cavity? Unless she barfed it up and it went in the wrong passage, and became lodged in her nose. I am supposing that had I given her some hairball meds, that this whole thing could have been avoided, as all of my furkids are shedding now, especially Snow Cat. Whenever I stroke him there appears a "cloud of white fur".

I will say that the suggestion given to have her take meds was the biggest education for me on this episode. Someone (Sara loves her tinky) suggested that I take her by the scruff of the neck and give the meds using that method, and it worked! Although she fought it, I believe that she began to realize that the meds were there to help relieve the symptoms. :D

.........wayne

tatsxxx11
04-14-2002, 07:35 AM
What a relief to hear that Tiger is doing so well. And as for the "diagnosis," the first thing that came to my mind when you identified the blade of grass as the culprit, was Logan's similar type episode with Mimi! What a relief for you to know that she was not seriously ill! And you're not alone Wayne, with 2 long haired kitties here, the fur flying fast and furious!:D Love and hugs to Tiger!!!!!! You go girl! Chase dem buggies!:D

sasvermont
04-14-2002, 07:37 AM
Wayne, I am so happy to hear that your kitty is back to normal. I know how upsetting it is, to be so darn helpless. If they could only tell us what happened, or where it hurts!

Last summer I grew some wheat for cats and my Vet (who found green grass in their stools)....said not to give them grass anymore. So I don't. Since my guys are indoor, I can control it.

This last annual (in Feb.) visit for Miley and Graemer, the Vet found a pine needle in Miley's ear. Yep, it had been there since Christmas. It never bothered her, but it would have eventually. I should probably invest in a little magnifier/vet looking glass to check their ears, noses etc. from time to time.

Cats, pets....aren't they wonderful!????

Again, I am so happy you were able to bring your cat back to good health!

Way to go Wayne! aka Dad to SO many kewl kitties!

wayne0214
04-14-2002, 08:09 AM
sas, You have got that right! If they could only indicate where the irritation or hurt is, that would be such a big help to us. But generally they don't and the best we can do is to learn their body language. Now that I'm thinking about the whole episode, that something caught in her throat was not the most obvious What mis-led all of us was the barfing up of her stomach contents. This would automatically arouse suspecion that she had devoured something that made her sick. Also, that she eats whatever I eat, whether it is part of a cat's diet or not. But when the vet suggested that the problem was in her bronchial areas, this was news to me. So, we all live an learn and I'm sure that many of us got an education on this one.

........wayne:)

Stenograsaurus
04-14-2002, 06:49 PM
I just wanted to say that I am so glad that Tiger is okay.

wayne0214
04-14-2002, 09:45 PM
stenagrasaurus. Thanks for your thoughts. I had only recently visited your post, which was contemporary with mine, and I am very sorry to hear of your loss. Yes, I have lost a few myself, and it hurts, even if they have been with me/us for only a couple of years, and especially if they become part of the family. Since I have little or no family, my furkids are an adequate substitute. Do you plan to get another kitty? I certainly hope so. I visited the Visalia SPCA shelter a week ago, and they had a few cats, and there were a couple that I would have really liked to take home with me. In fact, the volunteers there were ready to sign me up as a foster home for them. I have enough felines around this place to keep me busy. But I am still tempted.

BTW your name is reminescent of an ophthalmosaurus, an actual fossil sea-going reptile. Do you study paleontology?

Stenograsaurus
04-15-2002, 10:03 AM
Wayne, thank you for your comments. We don't have any plans of getting a kitten any time soon. We'll just have to take the love that we have for Misty and spread it among the other eight animals that we have. It's always tempting to take in more but I think we are also at our limit. Of course, if the poor abused, neglected stray happens to come along, who knows.

No, I don't study palentology. I had gotten my name from a court reporter supply catalog. It's a joke. The definition of stenograsaurus is: "let the record show that the above is: 1. a skilled creature who can listen faster than anyone can speak, move their fingers in excess of 225 words per minute and go several hours without visiting the bathroom. 2. A harried creature who must endure unappreciative, fasttalking lawyers, overworked judges and mumbling witnesses. 3. A true, legal professional dedicated to the preservation of the record."
Now that you know what I do, don't be making fun of any spelling errors. I'm not working right now. ;)

Logan
04-15-2002, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Stenograsaurus
No, I don't study palentology. I had gotten my name from a court reporter supply catalog. It's a joke. The definition of stenograsaurus is: "let the record show that the above is: 1. a skilled creature who can listen faster than anyone can speak, move their fingers in excess of 225 words per minute and go several hours without visiting the bathroom. 2. A harried creature who must endure unappreciative, fasttalking lawyers, overworked judges and mumbling witnesses. 3. A true, legal professional dedicated to the preservation of the record."
Now that you know what I do, don't be making fun of any spelling errors. I'm not working right now. ;)

The mystery is solved!! I have always wanted to ask that question too!!!! :D

wayne0214
04-15-2002, 06:51 PM
I'm thinking that a paleontoligist's deifintion of a stenograsaurus is a record-keeping lizard. Hmmm, I'm wondering if it lived during the Triassic, Jurassic, or the Cretaceous period?:D

............wayne

gini
04-15-2002, 09:03 PM
Wayne, I am glad that Tiger is so much better. These little monkeys just crawl right into your heart and stay there, so when they are sick, it is so upsetting! A blade of grass, never have I heard of that one.

This is one of the best parts of this forum, we all can learn so much from each other.

Give Tiger an extra hug.....from all of us!!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-16-2002, 03:43 PM
Wayne, I am so happy Tiger is so much better. :D

I've never heard of kitties get a blade of grass stuck like that before and was dumbfounded when I read your post. When I let Tubby out, the first thing he does is head for the grass. But since he's on a leash, I pull him back because all he does it throw it up once he gets back in the house. I feel so bad because I know how much he likes it, but I'm also worried because we live in a townhome, and I know they put something on the grass to kill the dandelions and other weeds, and I don't want him eating grass with some kind of chemicals on.

Soooo, good to hear that Tiger is back to herself, and the good that came out of it is that the two of you are closer than ever. :)

mollymc
04-17-2002, 08:18 AM
I have to say this whole episode reminds me of the time my daughter put a pea up her nose. Apparently it was spilled on the floor from a dish at dinner and picked up by the investigative 1 yr. old. The symptoms she had were runny nose, eyes, etc. When I took her to Dr. he found the pea and pulled it out with a probe. Now, 27 years later, we still laugh about it. So glad to hear your baby is feeling better. Love and hugs from Syl, CJ & Bubba

wayne0214
04-17-2002, 09:00 AM
Mollymc. welcome to Pet Talk. I hope you enjoy being part of this forum as many of us " pet talkers" are.

Yesterday, Tiger was out in the tall grass near me, while I was "weed-eating" the weeds away. I hope there is not a next time for this episode, but if it does occur, then I will be more ready for it.

One thing about Pet Talk is the mutual education we all recieve by participating and commenting on the posts. :)

.........wayne

AvaJoy
04-17-2002, 08:17 PM
Geez . . . who would ever think a blade of grass could get lodged up there?! I'm so glad to learn that Tiger is fine now, and the culprit has been apprehended . . . way to go, Dad! :D :D

Did your vet happen to mention if this was a rare occurance? As you say, maybe it did happen during her barfing . . . now I wonder how safe it is to grow container "cat grass" for indoor cats . . . I tried it for Lily, and when she would nibble on it, that always was a sign of tummy upset because shortly thereafter she would invariably hurl. :( Same thing with my dogs . . . when I notice one "grazing", I know what to expect next.

wayne0214
04-18-2002, 05:22 AM
Ava Joy, No, I don't believe there would be any problems with any carnivores grazing, as long as the grass is kept short and soft. Apparently, what Tiger ate was coarse, and too long for her to adequately digest. I suspect that what she ate was mature foxtail, as the entire California countryside, from Mexico to Oregon, is full of it this time of year. I have not seen the vet yet to let him know about the occurance, but will be in that part of town tomorrow. and I plan to see him then.

........wayne

lynnestankard
04-18-2002, 06:31 AM
Wayne - so sorry I'm late getting back to you - just so relieved that Tiger is well and truly over her horrible experience . Who'd have thought a blade of grass!! Amazing!
Please give her (when you next see her dashing past!) a couple of head bumpies and if allowed a couple of nose kisses xxxx

Mollymc welcome to Pet Talk - such a funny story of your daughter - bet she loves the retelling 27 years later!!!!:D :D

Lynne